2013 430N Garmin NAV system is CHEAP vs old 2012 430N - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Exclamation 2013 430N Garmin NAV system is CHEAP vs old 2012 430N

I was sampling the new 430N NAV system on a 2013 Wrangler and I was shocked at the reduction in quality.

I currently have a 430N on a early 12 now, and there is a huge difference between the two. If anything, I would expect the newer system to be better. However, looks like Chrysler was cutting costs. Compared to the old 430N system, the new graphics are much lower quality, not nearly as bright or crisp. The roads, and highways that appear on the map are smaller and grainier. The color scheme is terrible and muddied looking.

To top it all off, there was some "static" in the background of the whole screen, like if your old TV antenna wasn't adjusted just right. It is very obvious on certain images / colors and is very glaring and disappointing to say the least. You can't even get a clear clean screen reception, never mind image? I thought maybe the one I looked at was a bad one, however, I looked at another vehicle, and while the static / reception wasn't quite as apparent, it still had some too.

My "old" 430N system is bright and crisp and has none of that! What happened? Did anyone else notice this?

What could one do if they bought a vehicle with one of the worse screen reception issues (the one I was looking at was my pre order, but I don't know now)?

Is that something that can / would even be fixed? It's disgusting that you could pay all of that money for a new vehicle and have such a glaring cursory quality flaw like that.

Tyrantresister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Can't really help here but subscribed cause I'm looking for a 430 for my 12. If there is something to this, I want to know so I can steer away from 2013 take outs.

__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dewey Beach
Posts: 6
Tyrantresister,

OMG I thought it was just unlucky me that got stuck with an inferior Garmin-based 430N Nav System! Chrysler, but ESPECIALLY Garmin, should be embarassed by allowing this product to go to market. I own five portable Garmin automotive GPS units with lifetime map updates.
1. Each unit's graphics are much crisper, especially richer color saturation.

2. But worse! The mapset isn't even the latest "up-to-datest" version of North America.

I'll write to Garmin about this apparent inferior quality of the 430N installed in my 2013 Moab Edition. Maybe they'll be ashamed of themselves and make it right. I'm not wasting my time complaining to Chrysler/Jeep. Is it possible I just didn't pay enough money for this vehicle?
Dewey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Call it a CAR again!

WF Supporting Member
 
fljeepleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,333
The 430n in my 11 grandcherokee and my 13 Rubicon are exactly the same.
__________________
2013 Rubicon

My Build Thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fl...ad-198782.html
fljeepleo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Browndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo
The 430n in my 11 grandcherokee and my 13 Rubicon are exactly the same.
My 2013 works great. It is every bit as good as the GPS in my wife's Toyota? And no static that I have ever seen?
Browndog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2012, 07:24 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
I have no complaints with mine. 2012, I believe it's a June build. The stereo could sound better. The sound of the SAT is f'ing ridiculously bad. I've said it before. I drive an 09 Escape for work and the SAT sounds 10 times better in that. I dont know what it is about this unit that makes the SAT sound so bad. I know SAT is not supposed to be cd quallity or even ipod quality (they both sound superior on the 430n) but the SAT sounds like a little transistor radio from the early 70's.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
SeeLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepjeep1371
Can't really help here but subscribed cause I'm looking for a 430 for my 12. If there is something to this, I want to know so I can steer away from 2013 take outs.
At least it's not a Tom Tom! I have a 2013 wrangler and The Garmin is fine. I also have a Nuvi portable and can not say I noticed a quality difference until it was mentioned here. Bottom line is the 430n works like expected and is integrated really well with smart phones (iPhone)

Except reading text messages. Does anyone have it reading text messages?

Lastly, sound quality may be due to wrangler design more than the 430n.
SeeLee is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Dollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Brown
I have no complaints with mine. 2012, I believe it's a June build. The stereo could sound better. The sound of the SAT is f'ing ridiculously bad. I've said it before. I drive an 09 Escape for work and the SAT sounds 10 times better in that. I dont know what it is about this unit that makes the SAT sound so bad. I know SAT is not supposed to be cd quallity or even ipod quality (they both sound superior on the 430n) but the SAT sounds like a little transistor radio from the early 70's.
Yes, horrible SAT sound quality on our 430N. Our Grand Cherokee has the 730 and it sucks the same.

Our Xterra and MDX both had great SAT sound, so I don't know what the hell the problem is.
Dollar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollar View Post
Yes, horrible SAT sound quality on our 430N. Our Grand Cherokee has the 730 and it sucks the same.

Our Xterra and MDX both had great SAT sound, so I don't know what the hell the problem is.
Thats really wierd man. When I first got my JKUR all I listened to was the SAT and I thought the system was total garbage. I was comparing it to my 09 Escape. I just use the SAT in that and thougt it sounded pretty good. Then I put in a CD in my JKUR and holly Jesus did the system wake up. WTF is up with the SAT in the 430n?
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
yeah.i think so, The 430n in my 11 grandcherokee and my 13 Rubicon are exactly the same,thanks
wayonbird is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Riccochet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Somewhere around Charlotte
Posts: 650
I have the 430n in my 12 Rubicon. SAT radio sounds ok, it's bluetooth audio that sounds like complete ass. Doesn't matter the source, iPhone, GS3, MP3's, Pandora. They all sound staticy and distorted.
__________________
ɹǝʌo ǝɯ ןןoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Riccochet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northern BC
Posts: 319
SAT radio is a problem... as the 'better' the stereo system, the crappier it will sound. SAT is extremely compressed audio stream that destroys a lot of fidelity. Until they move to their next platform and keep jamming more channels in, the sound isn't going to get better. Whether it is 'good enough' is subjective... but listen to the same song on CD and it will be 5x better...
BeyondYourFrontDoor is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
gleek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 75
How does the iPod sounds vs. CD and Sat?
gleek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleek View Post
How does the iPod sounds vs. CD and Sat?
My ipod sounds alot better than the SAT. Pretty close to cd quality. Also seems like the cd's that I loaded into itunes sound better than the songs I download from itunes.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
Call it a CAR again!

WF Supporting Member
 
fljeepleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,333
Back to the OP, has anybody confirmed if there is some better 2012 version of the 430N he speaks of, My 2013 430N and 2011 430N are EXACTLY the same.
__________________
2013 Rubicon

My Build Thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fl...ad-198782.html
fljeepleo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
dirt road inspector

WF Supporting Member
 
tomthbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by fljeepleo View Post
Back to the OP, has anybody confirmed if there is some better 2012 version of the 430N he speaks of, My 2013 430N and 2011 430N are EXACTLY the same.
OP has one post. Maybe a troll?
tomthbomb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Keiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
Posts: 222
I've got a 2012 built in Sept. Of 2011. My 430N hasn't given me too many problems so far. I never really listened to satellite but FM, AM and MP3s sound great... Even when I swapped the stock antenna to an AntennaX 13" billet. I've synced a Galaxy Nexus to it and the sound quality was great over bluetooth. I was able to stream my entire cloud library from Google Music (over 17k songs) with very few dropouts, while being able to use the steering wheel controls. The call quality was good, but it wouldn't read my sms messages. I now have a Lumia 810 and can still access google music with an app called Gooroovster for WP8. The 430N now reads my sms messages as well.

However, I hate the general user interface of this head unit. Low resolution, sluggish operation and no ability to read album art embedded in the MP3 tag really hinder it compared to aftermarket options. The tech is like it's from 2001. It has wiped out my fader/EQ settings on several occasions and randomly rebooted a few times. I also think it's ridiculous that you can only store 8-10 pictures for the display.
Keiff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiff View Post
I've got a 2012 built in Sept. Of 2011. My 430N hasn't given me too many problems so far. I never really listened to satellite but FM, AM and MP3s sound great... Even when I swapped the stock antenna to an AntennaX 13" billet. I've synced a Galaxy Nexus to it and the sound quality was great over bluetooth. I was able to stream my entire cloud library from Google Music (over 17k songs) with very few dropouts, while being able to use the steering wheel controls. The call quality was good, but it wouldn't read my sms messages. I now have a Lumia 810 and can still access google music with an app called Gooroovster for WP8. The 430N now reads my sms messages as well.

However, I hate the general user interface of this head unit. Low resolution, sluggish operation and no ability to read album art embedded in the MP3 tag really hinder it compared to aftermarket options. The tech is like it's from 2001. It has wiped out my fader/EQ settings on several occasions and randomly rebooted a few times. I also think it's ridiculous that you can only store 8-10 pictures for the display.
No album pics? Uggggg. I'm looking to get a 430 (non nav) I would go after market but I want all my stuff to work! (Sirius and Connectivity)
__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Call it a CAR again!

WF Supporting Member
 
fljeepleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjeep1371 View Post
no album pics? Uggggg.
lol!
__________________
2013 Rubicon

My Build Thread
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/fl...ad-198782.html
fljeepleo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepjeep1371 View Post
No album pics? Uggggg. I'm looking to get a 430 (non nav) I would go after market but I want all my stuff to work! (Sirius and Connectivity)
Really? You're worried about album pics?
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post

Really? You're worried about album pics?
Picture your ipod without album pics...... . not really, still looking for one to upgrade with. Posted in the wanted section:-!
__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
UPDATED WITH PICS!!!!
Old 430


Vs. "New" 430





Old 430


Vs. "New" 430



Also, the new 430 nav doesn't tell you what the next upcoming exit is on the highway. It just keeps the name of the route you're on at the top. The old 430 would keep you abreast of upcoming exit numbers.
Tyrantresister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,054
The 430N looks different depending on which version of the application software is loaded. I would imagine the 2013 could be loaded with the older software and have it look the same as previous years if the owner wanted it that way. Places such as the Unofficial MyGIG Information Site used to have the application software for d/l. I'm not sure if they have it for the newer Uconnect.

You can see what version of the application software it is running in the System Information screen.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Dollar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 248
Yeah I am not happy with what looks like the "new" 430. At all. My stand alone Garmin looks way better. I wish I would have just stuck with the 130 and a separate Garmin for the rare times I actually need a GPS.
Dollar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,682
Sorry, I don't mean to high Jack this thread but had a comment on this posting:
1) what was your old phone? It probably didn't support the correct profile for SMS texting.
2) Have had your connect system,s SW updated? There is one available for it.
3) when you say it won't read album art, is this from a burned mp3 or a thumb drive? Because album art is supported thru Grace Note on CDs & Apple products.
4) There has been an update released a couple weeks back for the radio also.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiff View Post
I've got a 2012 built in Sept. Of 2011. My 430N hasn't given me too many problems so far. I never really listened to satellite but FM, AM and MP3s sound great... Even when I swapped the stock antenna to an AntennaX 13" billet. I've synced a Galaxy Nexus to it and the sound quality was great over bluetooth. I was able to stream my entire cloud library from Google Music (over 17k songs) with very few dropouts, while being able to use the steering wheel controls. The call quality was good, but it wouldn't read my sms messages. I now have a Lumia 810 and can still access google music with an app called Gooroovster for WP8. The 430N now reads my sms messages as well.

However, I hate the general user interface of this head unit. Low resolution, sluggish operation and no ability to read album art embedded in the MP3 tag really hinder it compared to aftermarket options. The tech is like it's from 2001. It has wiped out my fader/EQ settings on several occasions and randomly rebooted a few times. I also think it's ridiculous that you can only store 8-10 pictures for the display.
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,682
Did try to change the road screen display using the (+) & (-) tabs, just curious?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrantresister View Post
UPDATED WITH PICS!!!!
Old 430


Vs. "New" 430





Old 430


Vs. "New" 430



Also, the new 430 nav doesn't tell you what the next upcoming exit is on the highway. It just keeps the name of the route you're on at the top. The old 430 would keep you abreast of upcoming exit numbers.
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,682
Have had the 2012 connect SW update done yet? It will change the sound quality.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
I have the 430n in my 12 Rubicon. SAT radio sounds ok, it's bluetooth audio that sounds like complete ass. Doesn't matter the source, iPhone, GS3, MP3's, Pandora. They all sound staticy and distorted.
xsdbs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #28
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Did try to change the road screen display using the (+) & (-) tabs, just curious?

Yes, that just enlarged the magnification. Didn't effect the image, or clarity. Also, doesn't help with seeing the exits.
Tyrantresister is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Keiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX (Clear Lake)
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to high Jack this thread but had a comment on this posting:
1) what was your old phone? It probably didn't support the correct profile for SMS texting.
2) Have had your connect system,s SW updated? There is one available for it.
3) when you say it won't read album art, is this from a burned mp3 or a thumb drive? Because album art is supported thru Grace Note on CDs & Apple products.
4) There has been an update released a couple weeks back for the radio also.
It was a Galaxy Nexus... They came out in late Nov. of 2011. It's a fairly advanced handset, but since I no longer have it, and my current phone allows for both reading sms an dictation/sending of sms, that's no longer an issue for me.

I have not applied any updates to the unit. I took possession of the Jeep in Sept 2011, so I'm sure there are one or more available. I still don't feel that it would polish this turd up anymore though, unless it addresses:

GraceNote is a Sony service that utilizes a database to assign album art. Sony and Chrysler aren't friends anymore and I don't use Apple products. I use MP3s, both copied to the hard drive and via thumb drive. The more elegant and forward-facing approach would have been to read the art embedded in the tag, like practically every other MP3 player out there. The 430N seems to read the tag for artist, album, track title and genre at least. I wish I could delete the GraceNote DB and reclaim the space for more of my music. The DB also doesn't address rare or uncommon artists one may enjoy, just the catalog of what some exec thinks is important music.

I haven't had any issues with SAT/FM/AM radio at this point... I just don't use them much.
Keiff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Deepjeep1371's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs
Have had the 2012 connect SW update done yet? It will change the sound quality.
Good or bad?

__________________
"There's more to me than you'll ever know"
Deepjeep1371 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC