2013 dashboard below tray removal HELP! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
2013 dashboard below tray removal HELP!

2013 dashboard below tray removal HELP!
The tray just comes out but below it is a plastic section with a screw in it. Is the plastic section removable if the screw is removed. Don't want to remove the screw until I know if the piece is removable. Why is it made to come out? Thanks Ron

darticus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
2013 dashboard below tray removal HELP!
The tray just comes out but below it is a plastic section with a screw in it. Is the plastic section removable if the screw is removed. Don't want to remove the screw until I know if the piece is removable. Why is it made to come out? Thanks Ron
That's one of a few screws that you need to remove, the whole of the top of the dash comes out as one piece. To get it out you need to remove the plastic plate beneath the steering wheel, then undo the two screws revealed by that. Pop the electric window switches out, there's another screw behind there. From memory that's the lot, once you've got those all out work from the door side and the whole thing just unclips. There are a few write-ups and videos around, search on "JK head unit replacement".

__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks but tooo much info. I just need to know if that small section under the tray will come out if that screw is removed? Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
That's one of a few screws that you need to remove, the whole of the top of the dash comes out as one piece. To get it out you need to remove the plastic plate beneath the steering wheel, then undo the two screws revealed by that. Pop the electric window switches out, there's another screw behind there. From memory that's the lot, once you've got those all out work from the door side and the whole thing just unclips. There are a few write-ups and videos around, search on "JK head unit replacement".
darticus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Thanks but tooo much info. I just need to know if that small section under the tray will come out if that screw is removed? Thanks Ron
No. The tray liner itself can be lifted up (to expose the screw you are talking about) but after that, no more. The rest is all one giant piece.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,873
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Thanks but tooo much info. I just need to know if that small section under the tray will come out if that screw is removed? Thanks Ron

Either I don't understand what you are asking, or he answered your question perfectly.

No, the entire dash won't come out if that one screw it removed...that screw is one of four screws that holds the upper dash in.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Thanks but tooo much info. I just need to know if that small section under the tray will come out if that screw is removed? Thanks Ron
No it won't. What are you trying to do?
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
Thanks all! I wanted to mount something in the tray section but I can't take it out and screw up into it. Maybe double sided tape will hold. Glad you guys helped me out. A strong tape should do it. Thanks Ron
darticus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Thanks all! I wanted to mount something in the tray section but I can't take it out and screw up into it. Maybe double sided tape will hold. Glad you guys helped me out. A strong tape should do it. Thanks Ron
Daystar sells a tray w a arm/ball joint that mounts onto that. Might serve you better than double sided tape.
KllrDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
I will try to search that out, sounds good. Do you have a link to the tray??? Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KllrDave View Post
Daystar sells a tray w a arm/ball joint that mounts onto that. Might serve you better than double sided tape.
darticus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
I will try to search that out, sounds good. Do you have a link to the tray??? Thanks Ron
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12500_2330.htm
KllrDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 24
This really looks great but what if I don't have that ball connection. I'm trying to mount the Clinometer to it. Any thoughts? Do all GPS units have ball joints? Thanks Ron

darticus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
This really looks great but what if I don't have that ball connection. I'm trying to mount the Clinometer to it. Any thoughts? Do all GPS units have ball joints? Thanks Ron
I went to the cheapo Asian mobile phone kiosk and got a universal adjustable mount for my phone. The ball joints on these things are a standard size. I just had to make sure the mount had the female connection.

I suppose you might be able to find a mount that would fit a clinometer.
KllrDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
K7MDL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, WA
Posts: 75
I mounted a 1" RAM diamond ball mount using the one screw and then using a new short screw for the other side of the mount into the tray bottom (rubber tray piece removed of course). I put a thin piece of rubber under the diamond mount to reduce creaking noise, also just slightly loosened the center screw to remove all squeaks.

I use this ball mount for a Hero Camera, a ham radio control head, or a Zumo GPS. Looking at some multi-ball adapters to enable more than one item.

__________________
2013 JKU Sport S | 3.73 | Auto | LSD | Tow | MB TKO 17x8.5 | BFG A/T KO 285/70-R17 | Ace Sliders | Spidershade UltraMesh | Ri-Grip Hand solid front grab handles | RR bolt on rear grabs handles | Hard and Soft Tops
Husqvarna TE610 & TE450, Royal Star Venture
2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Ham Radio Operator K7MDL, often VHF+ rover
K7MDL is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC