2013 full of RUST - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1264 View Post
Not sure why people believe that metal has to be set in water to rust... it doesn't.

Moisture in the air and the reaction with oxygen cause metals to rust. Road salt is corrosive. No metal has to be submerged in water to rust. Moisture in the air and salt will cause it.

Guys from NM or AZ don't have to worry as it's dry and there is no road salt. It's humid as hell here and there is salt for 4 months of the year = rust. This Jeep was made in Toledo, about 45min from here. It's humid and they use road salt.
Yes, I am one of those that live in Arizona and have for 40 years, but prior in N W Indiana for 30 years so I am familiar with salt, cinders, snow and Ice on the roads. That's just some of the reasons that I don't live there anymore.
O.K., his was manufactured in Jan and mine in Feb. My point of origin on my window sticker was also Toledo. Mine has no rust at all under it. So for you theory to be correct, and I'm not saying that it isn't, would mean that there was salt, snow and ice on the road in Toledo in Jan, but not in Feb and that maybe the case, because I have no reason to follow the road conditions in Toledo. The only other answer per your theory would be that maybe his Wrangler was on the lower level of the transporter and mine was on the upper, well anything is possible, but I still think that his sat in water long term some place.

Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Pipper99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Richland Hills, TX
Posts: 136
I took these pics today of my new JKUR. 2013 that I picked up Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3361905862.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	221488   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1107153585.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	221489  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3879306292.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	221490  

Pipper99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
You're just seeing surface rust. The drive shaft and exhaust is not treated, so this is expected and completely normal. It's totally an appearance thing. Apparently, the thin layer of corrosion actually protects the shaft. Either way, it's not going to rust through.

You can paint it if you want, but I'd be concerned about balance issues.
This post is right on the money.
Mac2411 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineOverNappa View Post
Bought a brand new 2013 (born in Jan '13) Rubicon unlimited with 4 miles at the end of January. In six weeks this is what the underneath looks like. The normal bare-metal places have surface rust as well (drive shaft, exhaust hangars, etc), which can be expected. The rust I am concerned about is on practically every weld/bolt/mounting point of the front axle. If you've special ordered or are looking to pull the trigger, carefully check the finish job on the underside to avoid this. (My jeep lives in a garage- didn't see any of the snow salt and gets regular undercarriage washes). The 15 year old TJ I had wasn't this rusty!
Yours looks a little rougher than mine but I kept mine garaged for the past two weeks while I waited for a decision from Chrysler, and I only have 300 miles on it. I am also in the Northern VA, perhaps we were on the same truck and had some exposure on the road from Toledo.
__________________
2013 JKU Sahara | Rock Lobster | 3.73, max tow | NAV-TV with backup camera | Truck-Lite
2012 XC90 R-Design
stew7710 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
socal-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LA/OC
Posts: 525
Anything domestic, ane with a live axle looks like that. Normal. You know how thick the housing and tubes are? That jeep will be a recycled honda five times over before that housing rots through. Dont worry about it. 100% normal. A lot of people have been complaing of this it seems. There is a difference between surface rust and complete cancer like a 60's Alfa Romeo.
__________________
2012 JK, Rock Krawler 2.5, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex lower arms/track bars, Currie anti-rock, VDP stubby caps, Black Rock 909D's 285/70/17 Duratracss, Magnaflow ypipe and competition exhaust, 10a.e. Rubicon rear bumper, SRC sliders, G2 diff armor, H4 headlights and some other stuff....
2014 VW Jetta/1989 325i sleeper project/1968 house
socal-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #36
Jeeper
 
Afmcronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 391
Images: 1
I dont even think thats paint. It should be powdercoat. It looks like that axle had a crappy prep job and the coating (be it paint or powder) didnt adhere correctly.
Afmcronnie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #37
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dogger View Post
Yes, I am one of those that live in Arizona and have for 40 years, but prior in N W Indiana for 30 years so I am familiar with salt, cinders, snow and Ice on the roads. That's just some of the reasons that I don't live there anymore.
O.K., his was manufactured in Jan and mine in Feb. My point of origin on my window sticker was also Toledo. Mine has no rust at all under it. So for you theory to be correct, and I'm not saying that it isn't, would mean that there was salt, snow and ice on the road in Toledo in Jan, but not in Feb and that maybe the case, because I have no reason to follow the road conditions in Toledo. The only other answer per your theory would be that maybe his Wrangler was on the lower level of the transporter and mine was on the upper, well anything is possible, but I still think that his sat in water long term some place.
There was snow on the ground throughout Jan here... end of Feb almost all of it was gone, with the salt. Toledo is 45min away and thus has the same climate, I think you have your answer. No salt by the end of Feb, so no rust formed on yours. No snow in March and no salt so far. I love Global Warming! It snowed 2 or 3x all last winter. Mildest winter I can remember. This winter has been average, but not much if any snow since late Feb.
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,250
Just as an update... went for info on rust proofing. The guy told me that the parts that are rusting prematurely are due to the type of metal used. In so many words he said it was "cheap, sh!tty metal but these parts will not rust out".

So yes, if new Wranglers used better metals in assembly, you guys wouldn't see any rust at all in a new vehicle. This is from a Rustproofing professional.
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
l2abbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1264 View Post
Just as an update... went for info on rust proofing. The guy told me that the parts that are rusting prematurely are due to the type of metal used. In so many words he said it was "cheap, sh!tty metal but these parts will not rust out".

So yes, if new Wranglers used better metals in assembly, you guys wouldn't see any rust at all in a new vehicle. This is from a Rustproofing professional.
Yep I was informed the same information...
Pretty upsetting that these are manufactured in the USA and the quality of parts is so low... Guess of you want it done right you gotta do it yourself.
__________________
Pro comp stuff...Smittybilt Things & stuff
l2abbit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 16
I just checked my 2012 and its got a lot of rust on the steering knuckles, axle, and various running gear components. My Jeep sees a LOT of salt and is often coated white in colour due to the roads in Alberta. I recently went on a trip through the Rockies and my Crush Jeep was white like a salt shaker.

I wash it nearly daily and this includes a thorough underside spray.

I'm not worried about it. I used to work as a service tech and didn't replace those components for rusting as they are all rusted.

Once it's all rusted I'll stop worrying and washing it all the time.

New Jeep owners should order their jeeps with the running gear rusted and the front windshield broken then we'd all rest easy.
JeffMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
st1264's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Windsor, ON (near Detroit)
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffMan View Post
I just checked my 2012 and its got a lot of rust on the steering knuckles, axle, and various running gear components. My Jeep sees a LOT of salt and is often coated white in colour due to the roads in Alberta. I recently went on a trip through the Rockies and my Crush Jeep was white like a salt shaker.

I wash it nearly daily and this includes a thorough underside spray.

I'm not worried about it. I used to work as a service tech and didn't replace those components for rusting as they are all rusted.

Once it's all rusted I'll stop worrying and washing it all the time.

New Jeep owners should order their jeeps with the running gear rusted and the front windshield broken then we'd all rest easy.
... or move to New Mexico and never see any rust.
st1264 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
Pipper99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: North Richland Hills, TX
Posts: 136
Maybe jeep should offer Rust as a color option.
Pipper99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #43
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kenb1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewood NM
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by st1264 View Post
... or move to New Mexico and never see any rust.
Even in NM we get a bit of rust but that is all we see. If this was sheet metal with rust I would be concearned but the heavy duty cast parts not so much.
__________________
2007 Black JKU now known as the Black Mistress. 2.5 TF Coil Lift w/Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MB Chaos 5 Wheels, XRC MOD front Bumper, Smitybilt X2O Comp 8000 Winch, LOD Rear Bumper, s-Pod Swith system, Amp Research Retractable Side Steps, Polly performance Suspension Bolt upgrade Superchip Programer and more
kenb1023 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Jeeperz Creeperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 897
There are too many on the other thread regarding rust under new Wranglers that live in areas that have winters and road salt but are not showing this level of rust after a few seasons of driving for me to think this is normal.

Other than Harley Davidson I have never seen so many owners that accept manufacturing defects. Although Harley has come a long ways since the AMF days.

300 miles for 1 owner and 2 months of ownership on the other to look like that? I would not be a happy camper. They should ALL look like Piper99s at least for a few years.

Link to other thread:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/13-...as-221853.html

Jeeperz Creeperz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
brand new , rubicon axle , rusty , undercarriage , warranty

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC