2013 JK Soft Top Reinstall - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 17
mc3072 is on a distinguished road
2013 JK Soft Top Reinstall

When I started shopping for a JK, I looked at 4 or 5 dealers. Out of the 15-20 Jeeps I looked at, a couple of them had soft tops that were sagging at the rear of the vehicle and not very taunt...looked really funny.

Today, I took the hard top off and reinstalled the soft top. Lots of slack and sagging in the back. I panicked for about 10 minutes, then went in, got online and read everything I could find about the problem. I couldn't find anything close so I went back and tried it again. After about two hours of fighting it, I realized that when the dealer took off the soft top to install the hard top, they rotated the rear support one complete turn. Everything fit, just no tension on the top. I rotated it once and everything is back to normal. Also, there is a difference between the left and right tailgate bar brackets....trust me.
mc3072 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DC area
Posts: 171
Fishinfool is on a distinguished road
Any chance you could take pictures of what you are talking about? I'm a visual kind of guy. Good stuff.

__________________
2003 Jeep TJ. Ready to hit the trails
Fishinfool is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Dew
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 490
Dew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3072 View Post
When I started shopping for a JK, I looked at 4 or 5 dealers. Out of the 15-20 Jeeps I looked at, a couple of them had soft tops that were sagging at the rear of the vehicle and not very taunt...looked really funny.

Today, I took the hard top off and reinstalled the soft top. Lots of slack and sagging in the back. I panicked for about 10 minutes, then went in, got online and read everything I could find about the problem. I couldn't find anything close so I went back and tried it again. After about two hours of fighting it, I realized that when the dealer took off the soft top to install the hard top, they rotated the rear support one complete turn. Everything fit, just no tension on the top. I rotated it once and everything is back to normal. Also, there is a difference between the left and right tailgate bar brackets....trust me.
Not sure what you mean about the rear support being rotated. But yea, the tailgate bar brackets are specific for left/right side.
Dew is online now   Quote
 
Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Cityjeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 33
Cityjeeper is on a distinguished road
How long does it take you to switch it over? I have a hard top now and in summer I'm planning on buying a soft top so I have no clue
Cityjeeper is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
supercazzola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: A Rocket Ranch
Posts: 598
supercazzola is on a distinguished road
Ave you looked at the softtop videos up on the jeep site, in the owner's section. They helped me. Also, I believe I also referred to the besttop info on quadratec when I was first doing my hardtop to softtop install.
supercazzola is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Dew
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 490
Dew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityjeeper View Post
How long does it take you to switch it over? I have a hard top now and in summer I'm planning on buying a soft top so I have no clue
probably take you around an hour or two the first time since you need to figure it all out
Dew is online now   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 17
mc3072 is on a distinguished road
Soft Top Reinstall Pics

Attached pics of the rear support that needed to be rotated and of the correct position. The cloth tabs that are screwed to the support have to wrap around it in order to make the cloth taunt. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
   
mc3072 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
supercazzola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: A Rocket Ranch
Posts: 598
supercazzola is on a distinguished road
Are you suggesting the arch was inverted on the bar as it approached the rear?
supercazzola is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 17
mc3072 is on a distinguished road
The cloth tabs attached to the rear arch were loose! but evrything was connected correctly. By rotating the rear arch, it caused the tabs to wrap around it, tightening everything up.
mc3072 is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
supercazzola's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: A Rocket Ranch
Posts: 598
supercazzola is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3072
The cloth tabs attached to the rear arch were loose! but evrything was connected correctly. By rotating the rear arch, it caused the tabs to wrap around it, tightening everything up.
Oh, I understand now... Thanks for clarifying
supercazzola is offline   Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #11
Dew
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 490
Dew is on a distinguished road
I wonder why the dealer would rotate that rear arch? That serves no purpose at all, and you're saying you saw this on multiple jeeps on their lot?
Dew is online now   Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 17
mc3072 is on a distinguished road
Yep. I'm wondering if the soft tops those that I saw at the dealership had been taken off and put back on. Anyway, it is easy to put it on wrong. You won't realize it's wrong until you are finished. There will be way too much slack. Once I rotated the rear arch, all was good.
mc3072 is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
bigpappi is on a distinguished road
I am shipping my sons wrangler to him. It has a hard top, the soft top is in the garage. Do i have to remove the hardtop to get the softtop in the car for transport?
bigpappi is offline   Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,912
nwbronco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpappi View Post
I am shipping my sons wrangler to him. It has a hard top, the soft top is in the garage. Do i have to remove the hardtop to get the softtop in the car for transport?

To mount it back like it was when purchased, the hard top would have to be removed. You can store it on vehicle for transport. It will be a chore getting it in there.

Bob K.

nwbronco is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner