2013 JKUR buying advice - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
2013 JKUR buying advice

So I'm ready to buy a JK after lingering around on these forums for months. I was originally going to buy a sport and build it to my own needs ( DD convertible 4X4 that would only see a trail a few times a year ).

Anyway I came across a used Rubi on a jeep dealer website.2013 Less then 16k miles and will probably take a ride to look at it tomorrow or later today.

My question is, why would anyone trade in their Rubi after a year? Should I be looking for any specific problems during test drive?

its a 6 speed which I was looking for an auto but for the right price i'll take it (guess my girl will have to learn about the third pedal).

here's the link Used Certified 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited RUBICON 4X4 One Owner For Sale in Avenel NJ - Blue-Lth H - J561827U - (866) 328-3333 Sansone Auto Network

Thanks in advance.

DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
Many people like the look of a Jeep and want the cool factor. Then they realize it drives like a truck and not a car. It's also possible that someone couldn't make the payments and it was repo'd and the dealer bought it at auction. Maybe they bought a 2 door and discovered they needed a 4 door or just the opposite. There are hundreds of possibilities; In any event you will still be covered by the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jdambm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. louis, Mo
Posts: 906
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to jdambm
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Many people like the look of a Jeep and want the cool factor. Then they realize it drives like a truck and not a car. It's also possible that someone couldn't make the payments and it was repo'd and the dealer bought it at auction. Maybe they bought a 2 door and discovered they needed a 4 door or just the opposite. There are hundreds of possibilities; In any event you will still be covered by the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty.
This,^^ and others have a problem with the gas mileage and trade for subarus and volkswagons.
jdambm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Many people like the look of a Jeep and want the cool factor. Then they realize it drives like a truck and not a car. It's also possible that someone couldn't make the payments and it was repo'd and the dealer bought it at auction. Maybe they bought a 2 door and discovered they needed a 4 door or just the opposite. There are hundreds of possibilities; In any event you will still be covered by the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty.

All very possible. Warranty is great but if I can avoid buying someone else's headaches is better. Which can happen with a new vehicle too guess. I've just been looking for quite a few months now and its the first I come across and found it suspicious lol.
DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Catmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 96
It's really hard to say. I had a friend that was forced to get rid of his because his wife injured her hip/knee and couldn't get in without pain. Funny thing is, he just picked up another one since she healed after a few years.

It could also be that the original buyer didn't like the 6-speed. OUr local dealer gets some returns because of this from time to time.

My advice is get a carfax to see if there were any reported accident claims. Also ask for the service history. If they look clear the risk is reduced since you are still covered by the factory warranty.

Good luck!
Catmando is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Catmando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJeep View Post
All very possible. Warranty is great but if I can avoid buying someone else's headaches is better. Which can happen with a new vehicle too guess. I've just been looking for quite a few months now and its the first I come across and found it suspicious lol.
If you are suspicious and things don't feel right....move on. THere will be other deals....I learned this a long time ago.
Catmando is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
johnnymoha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 292
Actually a dealer should have the Carfax for free too.
johnnymoha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdambm View Post
This,^^ and others have a problem with the gas mileage and trade for subarus and volkswagons.

Yeah its something my coworker that has a 10A Rubi told me also. Thankfully it's not an issue for me. I don't drive much and I have other toys (one of them doing maybe 12mpg at this point yikes!)

I love the versatility of the Wrangler and the fact that the aftermarket is infinite. For me building a car is as exciting as driving.

I guess I was looking to see if there's was any specific problem I should be looking for.
DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Ali032373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 103
If you haven't test driven it, do so before a purchase. Our other vehicle is a great car, but rides and drives very differently.
Ali032373 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
If you are suspicious and things don't feel right....move on. THere will be other deals....I learned this a long time ago.
I guess I should say I'm suspicious of salesmen... I don't seem to get along with most and is the thing I dread the most.
DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali032373 View Post
If you haven't test driven it, do so before a purchase. Our other vehicle is a great car, but rides and drives very differently.
Like a tank on tires?

DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 134
For $36,495.00, you might want to consider new. For example, I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a new 2014 JKUR "X" with 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Tow Package and Hard Top for exactly $36,465.00 (including $195 doc fee). Just a thought...
hypobid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJeep View Post
So I'm ready to buy a JK after lingering around on these forums for months. I was originally going to buy a sport and build it to my own needs ( DD convertible 4X4 that would only see a trail a few times a year ).

Anyway I came across a used Rubi on a jeep dealer website.2013 Less then 16k miles and will probably take a ride to look at it tomorrow or later today.

My question is, why would anyone trade in their Rubi after a year? Should I be looking for any specific problems during test drive?

its a 6 speed which I was looking for an auto but for the right price i'll take it (guess my girl will have to learn about the third pedal).

here's the link Used Certified 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited RUBICON 4X4 One Owner For Sale in Avenel NJ - Blue-Lth H - J561827U - (866) 328-3333 Sansone Auto Network

Thanks in advance.
I would continue to look and get what you want. The price is what you can find these for so if you want an auto tranny get an auto.
Also I have gotten rid of a lot jeeps in have the mileage and I get rid of them because I get sick of the problems and dealing with Chrysler then I miss having a jeep so I call it a love hate relationship. Anyway good luck with your choice.
peanut09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypobid View Post
For $36,495.00, you might want to consider new. For example, I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering a new 2014 JKUR "X" with 6 Speed Manual Transmission, Tow Package and Hard Top for exactly $36,465.00 (including $195 doc fee). Just a thought...
Looks like a great deal! that's the price posted but I had no intentions in paying more then 32k for it. Reason why I would have to probably bang heads with sales for a while .

Does that sound reasonable?
DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jdambm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. louis, Mo
Posts: 906
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to jdambm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJeep View Post

Yeah its something my coworker that has a 10A Rubi told me also. Thankfully it's not an issue for me. I don't drive much and I have other toys (one of them doing maybe 12mpg at this point yikes!)

I love the versatility of the Wrangler and the fact that the aftermarket is infinite. For me building a car is as exciting as driving.

I guess I was looking to see if there's was any specific problem I should be looking for.
If 12 mpg is no problem to you, you will love your new jeep and think it gets great mileage. Lol As daggo posted probably one of the biggest reasons is needs change.
jdambm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJeep View Post
Looks like a great deal! that's the price posted but I had no intentions in paying more then 32k for it. Reason why I would have to probably bang heads with sales for a while .

Does that sound reasonable?
Its still a manual tranny and you could what you want for that. But if you think you will be happy with it then do what makes you happy.
Guessing if you didn't go into this wanting a manual you wont keep it long just my .02
peanut09 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut09 View Post
Its still a manual tranny and you could what you want for that. But if you think you will be happy with it then do what makes you happy. Guessing if you didn't go into this wanting a manual you wont keep it long just my .02
Yeah the manual issue is an inconvenience because my girlfriend doesn't drive it (and isn't very coordinated ). After speaking to her about it I'm going to keep looking. Got excited about a Rubi I think. Still going to shoot for a sport and add to it to make it mine.

Thanks to all for their input. Soon I'll be hoping curbs at the mall with a JK.
DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
atx-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJeep View Post
So I'm ready to buy a JK after lingering around on these forums for months. I was originally going to buy a sport and build it to my own needs ( DD convertible 4X4 that would only see a trail a few times a year ).

Anyway I came across a used Rubi on a jeep dealer website.2013 Less then 16k miles and will probably take a ride to look at it tomorrow or later today.

My question is, why would anyone trade in their Rubi after a year? Should I be looking for any specific problems during test drive?

its a 6 speed which I was looking for an auto but for the right price i'll take it (guess my girl will have to learn about the third pedal).

here's the link Used Certified 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited RUBICON 4X4 One Owner For Sale in Avenel NJ - Blue-Lth H - J561827U - (866) 328-3333 Sansone Auto Network

Thanks in advance.
Some people just aren't cool enough. Amirite?
atx-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DevilsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-jk View Post
Some people just aren't cool enough. Amirite?
Agreed!
DevilsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 45
I'm actually trading in my 2012 JKUR This Feb. Only reason? Wait for it.........................My 2014 JKURX comes in
Geronimo.USMC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
dcprez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJeep View Post
Looks like a great deal! that's the price posted but I had no intentions in paying more then 32k for it. Reason why I would have to probably bang heads with sales for a while .

Does that sound reasonable?
I think you can find a new automatic rubicon for not much more than 32k. Maybe not with the hardtop. Check out the "prices paid" threads. I was looking for one a couple of years old as well, but prices were hardly any better. These things seem to hold their value too well. I'd recommend going new and getting exactly what you want.
dcprez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #22
Newb
 
Ccardamone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcprez View Post
I think you can find a new automatic rubicon for not much more than 32k. Maybe not with the hardtop. Check out the "prices paid" threads. I was looking for one a couple of years old as well, but prices were hardly any better. These things seem to hold their value too well. I'd recommend going new and getting exactly what you want.
I think there are some on sale from the rental market that are less than a year old and also a little lower priced. Just bought the 2014 Rubicon X. They only had one and it is a manual. I think Je may be one of a few American makers that still offer a manual. I find the manual 6 easier to drive than my Hyundai Veloster. They have hill holder now so it's not too scary! Good luck!

Ccardamone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC