2014 Rubicon X? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
2014 Rubicon X?

Im sorry for the long post but since its my first in the forum I thought I would go all out.

First let me give you my jeep background. I have owned MANY jeeps including but not limited to 1976 Cj5 304v8, 1981 Cj5 4.2 4spd, 1991 YJ, 1993 YJ, 1995 YJ 4cyl (was not that bad until lifted), 1978 J10 quadratrac, 1987 Comanche 2wd (my dad bought it new and gave it to me), two 2002 TJ's both with autos (bought one new for the wife) and currently I have a 1985 CJ7 4.2 5spd repainted in the original dark brown metallic.

I have not owned a JK. I have driven several since they came out and I really like the new 3.6 so im buying one.

I own a place in the WV mountains that is 4wd access ONLY. I have a dodge 2500 Diesel and I run it in LOW both up and down the short way to the cabin. So for the first time in 10 years I want a new jeep.

I saw a blurb about the 2014 and the fact that a (Rubicon x) may be avail. My first 2002 was an "X" meaning it was a base model with the 4.0. Im guessing Rubicon X would be a Rubicon without all the power crap. Is that correct? No offence to those of you that love power everthing but I think a jeep should be as simple as possible. I dont even have a radio in my CJ7.

If the X is a Rubicon package with manual windows and no stupid navigation etc...then im in.

I hope someone has some inside knowledge....Thanks.

Jdemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 248
Send a message via AIM to zerinS4
I'm guessing it'll be more along the lines of a high equipment level Rubicon with the 10A hood, bumpers and some other goodies rather than a stripped down model. We'll be at a media event at Chrysler's proving grounds in two weeks where we'll find out more about all the things coming to the Jeep lineup for 2014. Will try to get details then.

__________________
'13 Bright White JKRU 10th Anniversary
zerinS4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks for the quick reply...I once drove a 1950's chevy that belonged to a friend...it had a record player in it....I bet that was HOT in the 50's but is worthless now. Thats the way I look at all this bluetooth, navigation mess....

I could deal with power windows...but I would rather not.
Jdemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemp View Post
Im sorry for the long post but since its my first in the forum I thought I would go all out.

First let me give you my jeep background. I have owned MANY jeeps including but not limited to 1976 Cj5 304v8, 1981 Cj5 4.2 4spd, 1991 YJ, 1993 YJ, 1995 YJ 4cyl (was not that bad until lifted), 1978 J10 quadratrac, 1987 Comanche 2wd (my dad bought it new and gave it to me), two 2002 TJ's both with autos (bought one new for the wife) and currently I have a 1985 CJ7 4.2 5spd repainted in the original dark brown metallic.

I have not owned a JK. I have driven several since they came out and I really like the new 3.6 so im buying one.

I own a place in the WV mountains that is 4wd access ONLY. I have a dodge 2500 Diesel and I run it in LOW both up and down the short way to the cabin. So for the first time in 10 years I want a new jeep.

I saw a blurb about the 2014 and the fact that a (Rubicon x) may be avail. My first 2002 was an "X" meaning it was a base model with the 4.0. Im guessing Rubicon X would be a Rubicon without all the power crap. Is that correct? No offence to those of you that love power everthing but I think a jeep should be as simple as possible. I dont even have a radio in my CJ7.

If the X is a Rubicon package with manual windows and no stupid navigation etc...then im in.

I hope someone has some inside knowledge....Thanks.
From what Pat posted, it will be closer to 10A with the hood, bumpers, etc.
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 196
I highly doubt Chrysler is going to do a stripped down version of their high end model. If anything, I can see the end of the standard "base" model with the next JK remodel. The Sport "S" will be the new low end and the Sahara "X" will be the new king of the Mall Crawlers now that there really aren't any other manufacturers making a competitive product (Good riddance Hummer and possibly good bye Fj)

More than likely the Rubicon "X" is going to have more widgets and doo-hickeys than you can shake your walker at.
__________________
<font color=Navy><font color=Black>2013 TRUE BLUE Sahara


Bayouwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks....Well in the real world...the stock as a rock JK sport with no power anything is going to be more offroad capable than most people will EVER use.

But I have been eyeing the rubicon since 2003.......

At least I can get that Copperhead color I saw on a 2013 ram...thats one positive!

Oh and no "walker" Im under 40....I just have a love of jeeps not the latest i-crap.
Jdemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemp View Post
Thanks....Well in the real world...the stock as a rock JK sport with no power anything is going to be more offroad capable than most people will EVER use.
Totally agree, but considering they now corner the market they can do pretty much whatever makes them the most money. People are still going to line up to buy these things, even if it costs them an extra $2,500 for the "new" base package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemp View Post
At least I can get that Copperhead color I saw on a 2013 ram...thats one positive!
Mango Tango is still one of my favorite colors on a Jeep, but Copperhead may just top it.
__________________
<font color=Navy><font color=Black>2013 TRUE BLUE Sahara


Bayouwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
You hit the nail on the head.

Its sad that i cant order it just it the way I want it.....Painted flares off the Sahara...Rubicon T-Case, axels, lockers etc....no power ANYTHING...this "package" crap kills me.
Jdemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,132
I totally would have purchased a model like this... I bought a Sport with the only options being A/C and 3.73. Being able to get the lockers and better transfer case without the electronic foof would have been a slam dunk.

If they do this, I'll actually consider trading mine.
TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 196
I'm with you there. I'd love to have the 10A hood, but not also pay for bumpers and wheels that I'm just going to replace.

There's a massive untapped market for "factory custom" built Wranglers. If Jeep would allow you to build your own from the ground up starting with the bare bones base model and add whatever you wanted from any of the 3 trim levels, I'd be the first in line to get one.

I get that I can do all this aftermarket, but to have it done exactly my way AND have it be 100% factory warranty covered the day it's delivered to me...Well that would be bliss on a platter made of bacon covered in gravy.
__________________
<font color=Navy><font color=Black>2013 TRUE BLUE Sahara


Bayouwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Cdwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouwolf View Post
I'm with you there. I'd love to have the 10A hood, but not also pay for bumpers and wheels that I'm just going to replace.

There's a massive untapped market for "factory custom" built Wranglers. If Jeep would allow you to build your own from the ground up starting with the bare bones base model and add whatever you wanted from any of the 3 trim levels, I'd be the first in line to get one.

I get that I can do all this aftermarket, but to have it done exactly my way AND have it be 100% factory warranty covered the day it's delivered to me...Well that would be bliss on a platter made of bacon covered in gravy.
They could do that but the custom building would increase costs and many are too frugal to pay it.
Cdwright is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOK View Post
I totally would have purchased a model like this... I bought a Sport with the only options being A/C and 3.73. Being able to get the lockers and better transfer case without the electronic foof would have been a slam dunk.

If they do this, I'll actually consider trading mine.
I looked hard at a 2013 commando green base sport with just ac and 373 limited slip. Then I saw the rubicon x blurb. At this point I am going to order a 2014.......just how close to the way I want it to be is up in the air.....
Jdemp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 92
You can order a 2dr Wrangler Rubi with crank windows. If you want a 4dr Rubi without power windows you can order it with half doors. Problem solved.
rcr1340 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdemp View Post
You hit the nail on the head.

Its sad that i cant order it just it the way I want it.....Painted flares off the Sahara...Rubicon T-Case, axels, lockers etc....no power ANYTHING...this "package" crap kills me.
Making build packages reduces production costs since there isn't so much variance between individual models. That actually lowers the cost of each unit. And in a commodity item like a vehicle, that means it costs less at the dealership in order to stay competitive.

My philosophy was to buy a base model JK and build it the way I wanted it. After all, real Jeeps are built, not bought. As a fellow old CJ and J10 guy, I bet I could get you on board with looking at it that way.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
13rian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 646
Here is hoping that a stripped down Rubicon 2dr can be ordered with just the 10A hood or even the 10A hood & bumpers. There is something to be said about simple. I had to sell my 69 Camaro which had only power brakes, no radio, power steering or even AC. I'm also hoping that Copperhead looks similar to the color of the Camaro i had too.

13rian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Mark b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 264
A RUBICON Stripper would be awesome.

I guessing you want a Window Sticker like this...

2dr Rubicon MSRP $31,000

Option 1 +$3,000 Add cool trail stuff

Delete Crap -$3,000

Total $31.000

I'll take one of those too.
__________________
1948 CJ2A | 2004 TJ Rubicon
Mark b is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Mark b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 264
Mmmmm, that's nice. What were we talking about?
__________________
1948 CJ2A | 2004 TJ Rubicon
Mark b is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
13rian's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark b View Post
Mmmmm, that's nice. What were we talking about?
Simplicity, open road, wind in your hair, smell of gas, rumble of a big block V8 and 9 miles to the gallon
13rian is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DC Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdwright View Post
They could do that but the custom building would increase costs and many are too frugal to pay it.
It would not cost them anything extra. However, the packages allow Jeep to charge you twice what you want to in options because you have to take three things you don't care about to get just one thing you do.
DC Dennis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Mark b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rian View Post
Simplicity, open road, wind in your hair, smell of gas, rumble of a big block V8 and 9 miles to the gallon
Sounds like my Willys CJ-2A. Except for the Rumble...more like a purr of 60HP Go Devil.
__________________
1948 CJ2A | 2004 TJ Rubicon
Mark b is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Beach, California
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dennis View Post
It would not cost them anything extra. However, the packages allow Jeep to charge you twice what you want to in options because you have to take three things you don't care about to get just one thing you do.
^This. All. Day. Long...

Some people are already waiting 8-12 weeks for their rig to show up with ONLY the customized options available to the trim level of Jeep they bought. Who wouldn't be alright with an extra week or two of waiting if you could order a Jeep with only the components you wanted...like a base model Sport with lockers in the axles?
__________________
<font color=Navy><font color=Black>2013 TRUE BLUE Sahara


Bayouwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW WA
Posts: 877
Chrysler offered any upgrade you wanted on the "X" models back in 2007.

Mine came with with full skid plates, 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, HD suspension and 17" alloys with BFG MT's and LSD in the running gear.
Power convenince group and AC for the cab.
Hard and soft top option for the roof.
Uptick for additional options above base "X", $1,800.
Should have sprung for the D44 front axle with E locker for another $1,200 but at the time I was already pushing what I wanted to pay for it.

Guessing the build your own Rubicon for under $20K thing didn't pan out.
They dropped all the options the following year and went with packages we have today instead.
TrueNorth is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 2,301
id bet they invested a bit into making the parts that were specific to the 10A and would like to get a little more out of it. just a guess but it seems logical.
Tweak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
live_slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 666
just order a wrangler, option package 23R

folks seem to forget ordering just the Rubicon package ain't all that fancy in the creature comfort department
__________________
IIIIII

Just another Billet Silver Metallic. It blends.
2013 | JK | 23R | 2"M | 33s on 15s |
live_slow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
DC Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
Chrysler offered any upgrade you wanted on the "X" models back in 2007.

Mine came with with full skid plates, 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, HD suspension and 17" alloys with BFG MT's and LSD in the running gear.
Power convenince group and AC for the cab.
Hard and soft top option for the roof.
Uptick for additional options above base "X", $1,800.
Should have sprung for the D44 front axle with E locker for another $1,200 but at the time I was already pushing what I wanted to pay for it.

Guessing the build your own Rubicon for under $20K thing didn't pan out.
They dropped all the options the following year and went with packages we have today instead.
I thought only the rear E-locker was available ala cart. The only problem in '07 was you were stuck with the 3.8 under the hood.
DC Dennis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Dogzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rian View Post
Here is hoping that a stripped down Rubicon 2dr can be ordered with just the 10A hood or even the 10A hood & bumpers. There is something to be said about simple. I had to sell my 69 Camaro which had only power brakes, no radio, power steering or even AC. I'm also hoping that Copperhead looks similar to the color of the Camaro i had too.

No radio?? Why does it need a radio antennae if it has no radio??

No radio?? Why does it need a radio antennae if it has no radio??
Dogzilla is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
The Infamous One

WF Supporting Member
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 2,592
from what i take and what a few others have already said, the rubicon X will have some exterior similarities to the 10th annverisary models. honestly the only thing that actually caught my eye on the 10a model was the hood...
donmeca2020 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13rian View Post
Here is hoping that a stripped down Rubicon 2dr can be ordered with just the 10A hood or even the 10A hood & bumpers. There is something to be said about simple. I had to sell my 69 Camaro which had only power brakes, no radio, power steering or even AC. I'm also hoping that Copperhead looks similar to the color of the Camaro i had too.

Gahhhhhh (that's what an orgasm sounds like). You're making me miss my '69 Chevelle. Man, I wish Chevy would get their arses back in line. Of all their vehicles now the only ones I'd own (if I had the need) would be the Tahoe/suburban, certain corvettes, or the Camaro ZL1 (although I'd prefer a GT500).

BTW, welcome to the forum. I recently joined myself and I really like it here... great people and great information.
b-g-k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
2five22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,732
Hmm.

I bought a 2013 Rubicon a couple of weeks ago. It has one option - tinted windows on the soft top. Nothing else.

Crank windows, base level radio w/satellite, manual transmission, and I even took out the rear seat.

It sounds like your want is already out there.
2five22 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Dfw
Posts: 184
Jeeps are customizable as heck; the Wrangler is your canvas, money is your color and time is your paintbrush. Start with the bare bones basic Wrangler that you want and upgrade it as you see fit.

You'll save alot of money if you can do the labor yourself. And as many aftermarket parts for the wrangler as there are, this is certainly feasible. After all is said and done, you'll get the wrangler that you want for a price that's similar to the rubicon's MSRP.

And btw, for someone who want "no power anything" and "none of this i-crap", why not just disconnect the battery in your Jeep? You'll be certain to get a jeep that has power-nothing.

JeepCourtney3700 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC