2015 getting diesel? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
SOA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 167
2015 getting diesel?

Hey all been away fro awhile,,
Just curious, is it known if the 2015 wranglers are getting the Diesel option?

SOA11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
trailless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 559
No, if the diesel were an option we would have heard more about it. Honestly, I don't see jeep doing any major changes until the new redesign.

The 2015 will probably have some different colors and another special model based off the Sahara.

trailless is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
DennisC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: N Arizona
Posts: 190
Oh boy...a diesel Wrangler...for $50K! I can hardly wait.
__________________
2010 JKR
2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
1989 YJ; gone but not forgotten
DennisC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
SOA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailless View Post
No, if the diesel were an option we would have heard more about it. Honestly, I don't see jeep doing any major changes until the new redesign.

The 2015 will probably have some different colors and another special model based off the Sahara.

Theres nothing but talk about it on all auto websites...Thats why Im asking ,,if you google it there is already tons of info including the italian guy( forgot his name) CEO of Fiat saying that yes the 15 Wrangler will have engine options. most assume he means the Diesel
SOA11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA11 View Post
Theres nothing but talk about it on all auto websites...Thats why Im asking ,,if you google it there is already tons of info including the italian guy( forgot his name) CEO of Fiat saying that yes the 15 Wrangler will have engine options. most assume he means the Diesel
That tons of info is out dated. The "new" Wrangler has gotten pushed back from '15 model year to at least '17, if not '18.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
[All custom ordered, purchased new]
WaltA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 914
Too bad we don't have a diesel option now. I am a fan of diesel engines but I am not a fan of the specs I see for the future Wranglers. I am becoming quite the fan of the Pentastar engine. Very impressed so far with my 2014 Rubi and about 4,500 miles.
__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
SOA11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 167
yea the Pentastar is good...that Diesel is better..ahh well I didnt relise it was dated info.
SOA11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
Oh boy...a diesel Wrangler...for $50K! I can hardly wait.
No way, you have to buy it with massaging seats, built in scented oil dispenser and gold plated muffler bearing options.. total out the door will be no less than $100k
mhicanders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ScarletVarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Middle of the West Coast, when home. Middle of the desert, stuck in sand, when not home.
Posts: 226
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhicanders View Post
No way, you have to buy it with massaging seats, built in scented oil dispenser and gold plated muffler bearing options.. total out the door will be no less than $100k
Don't forget the Ferrari 6.3L V12, which is included in the list price and must be swapped out to accommodate the diesel.
ScarletVarlet is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletVarlet View Post
Don't forget the Ferrari 6.3L V12, which is included in the list price and must be swapped out to accommodate the diesel.
You must work for a major auto manufacturer.. ;-)
mhicanders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
trailless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOA11 View Post

Theres nothing but talk about it on all auto websites...Thats why Im asking ,,if you google it there is already tons of info including the italian guy( forgot his name) CEO of Fiat saying that yes the 15 Wrangler will have engine options. most assume he means the Diesel
The diesel option has been rumored since the beginning of the TJ. The diesel engine, if we ever get it, will be with the new remodel which seems like it'll be 2017 or 2018.
trailless is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Guernsey, Channel Islands
Posts: 75
Bear in mind that Jks are already rolling out of the factory with diesel engines, it's just that they don't get sold in the U.S. Diesels are by far the bulk of JK sales in Europe. I don't know if Jeep aren't selling the diesel in the U.S through choice or because the diesel won't pass U.S emissions regulations but if it can pass European regs. it can't be too hard to get it to pass U.S ones.

Some of the choices that Jeep marketing make as to what sells where is rather strange. In the UK, I could only get my Rubi with the V6 whereas The Sport and Sahara trim levels both come with a diesel.

Here is a summery of what you can get in other European countries:

France & Germany
Sport = Diesel
Sahara = Choice of diesel or petrol (gas)
Rubi = Diesel

Spain.
Sport, Sahara & Rubi = all diesel only

Portugal.
Only Sport and Rubi sold, only diesel engines.
Humbug is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbug View Post
Bear in mind that Jks are already rolling out of the factory with diesel engines, it's just that they don't get sold in the U.S. Diesels are by far the bulk of JK sales in Europe. I don't know if Jeep aren't selling the diesel in the U.S through choice or because the diesel won't pass U.S emissions regulations but if it can pass European regs. it can't be too hard to get it to pass U.S ones.

Some of the choices that Jeep marketing make as to what sells where is rather strange. In the UK, I could only get my Rubi with the V6 whereas The Sport and Sahara trim levels both come with a diesel.

Here is a summery of what you can get in other European countries:

France & Germany
Sport = Diesel
Sahara = Choice of diesel or petrol (gas)
Rubi = Diesel

Spain.
Sport, Sahara & Rubi = all diesel only

Portugal.
Only Sport and Rubi sold, only diesel engines.
Yes, for about ~seven years, the 2.8L CRD has been available in Europe.
The diesel for the US, if and when it comes out, will probably be based on the 3.0L Diesel that you can currently buy in North America on the Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500, better known as the "ecodiesel" engine.
new to jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
That tons of info is out dated. The "new" Wrangler has gotten pushed back from '15 model year to at least '17, if not '18.
2017 would make the most sense

YJ 1987
TJ 1997
JK 2007
hbski is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
spinlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 37.9° N, 121.7° W
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbski View Post
2017 would make the most sense

YJ 1987
TJ 1997
JK 2007
That's a nice trend every decade.

The Wrangler is certainly one of the gas guzzlers in the vehicle lineup. The pressure Chrysler is under to meet the CAFE ratings certainly favors introducing the diesel ASAP but the cost of introducing the new power plant may not be warranted since the whole Wrangler platform could be redesigned. For instance if they introduce IFS it open up more space for the engine and related systems. And also the new transmission is required.
__________________
"A man has got to know his limitations."
H. Callahan
spinlock is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle & Tucson
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to jeep View Post
Yes, for about ~seven years, the 2.8L CRD has been available in Europe.
The diesel for the US, if and when it comes out, will probably be based on the 3.0L Diesel that you can currently buy in North America on the Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500, better known as the "ecodiesel" engine.
The European diesel in the JK is spec'd with less torque than the 3.0L diesel used in the Grand Cherokee (420 ft lb for 3.0L vs 340 ft lb for the 2.8L CRD) . I am a fan of diesels and don't care that there would be a $5k premium. But I do wonder if the JK could handle a diesel's torque given the low rear end ratios that have been normally made available. Axles could snap. I suppose they could limit the rear end ratio for the diesel to less than the 4.10. I guess that could result in more torque than the Pentastar and better mileage to boot.
augsburg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
trailless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by augsburg View Post
The European diesel in the JK is spec'd with less torque than the 3.0L diesel used in the Grand Cherokee (420 ft lb for 3.0L vs 340 ft lb for the 2.8L CRD) . I am a fan of diesels and don't care that there would be a $5k premium. But I do wonder if the JK could handle a diesel's torque given the low rear end ratios that have been normally made available. Axles could snap. I suppose they could limit the rear end ratio for the diesel to less than the 4.10. I guess that could result in more torque than the Pentastar and better mileage to boot.
Maybe they'll offer Dynatrac PR 60's?

LOL, another pipe dream.
trailless is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #18
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by new to jeep View Post
Yes, for about ~seven years, the 2.8L CRD has been available in Europe.
The diesel for the US, if and when it comes out, will probably be based on the 3.0L Diesel that you can currently buy in North America on the Grand Cherokee and the Ram 1500, better known as the "ecodiesel" engine.
Wanna bet a case of beer on this? I say it doesn't get the VM V6, it gets a newer 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

I'll paypal ya the beer money if I'm wrong.
TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,725
No, it would get the 3.0L V6 diesel if it gets one at all. Why would Jeep pay all that money to certify yet another diesel engine when it's already got the 3.0L in two different U.S. vehicles?

And the new Wrangler has already been confirmed as a 2017 model by the CEO himself, so if the diesel happens it's 3 model years away from today.
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #20
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
No, it would get the 3.0L V6 diesel if it gets one at all. Why would Jeep pay all that money to certify yet another diesel engine when it's already got the 3.0L in two different U.S. vehicles?

And the new Wrangler has already been confirmed as a 2017 model by the CEO himself, so if the diesel happens it's 3 model years away from today.
The paying and certifying is already done, and its a 3 liter, 4 cylinder turbo diesel available in the Dodge Promaster.

Chrysler has already maxxed VM's V6 production output with just the Grand Cherokee and Ram.
TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #21
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Just checked the specs on that 3 liter I4 turbo diesel. 174 horses, 295 lb.-ft. - nice numbers. All you would need in a Wrangler. But how many people - no matter how bad they want a diesel - will really pay the $4000 difference over the Pentastar? And will it only be available in the upper grades?
tvg41129 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle & Tucson
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvg41129 View Post
Just checked the specs on that 3 liter I4 turbo diesel. 174 horses, 295 lb.-ft. - nice numbers. All you would need in a Wrangler. But how many people - no matter how bad they want a diesel - will really pay the $4000 difference over the Pentastar? And will it only be available in the upper grades?
I believe the specs for the I4 diesel that you mention are a nonstarter. Diesels do not save any money - even though they get better mileage. In the U.S., ultra low sulphur fuel costs $0.30 to $0.60 more per gallon than Premium gas and there's an even larger differential with regular gas. So any fuel savings provided by the diesel is offset by the higher cost of fuel. People in the U.S. buy diesels for the increased torque vs. gas engines. No one would pay a $4,000 to $5,000 premium price on a diesel option that provides no torque advantage over the gas engine. You would get no fuel savings and no power increase. It would make no sense. I think the only option for Jeep is to go with the engine Jeep already certified, the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel they are offering in the Grand Cherokee.
augsburg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Exclamation 2015 Diesel Wrangler

Visited the dealer today. They said the 2015 should be available in August. So do you think they will release the diesel version then? Sergio Marchionne said he would after seeing how the Grand Cherokee diesel sales went. So were the sales of the diesel GC good enough? What do you think?
jk4life is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOK View Post
Wanna bet a case of beer on this? I say it doesn't get the VM V6, it gets a newer 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

I'll paypal ya the beer money if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the bet offer, sounds tempting, but I hate betting!

Yeah, I guess it could go both ways... V6 or I4...
new to jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvg41129 View Post
Just checked the specs on that 3 liter I4 turbo diesel. 174 horses, 295 lb.-ft. - nice numbers. All you would need in a Wrangler. But how many people - no matter how bad they want a diesel - will really pay the $4000 difference over the Pentastar? And will it only be available in the upper grades?
I'd pay $4k for a diesel, however I will not pay the additional $5k+ of 'options' that will be forced on you to get the diesel in the first place.
mhicanders is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #26
TOK
Jeeper
 
TOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by augsburg View Post
I believe the specs for the I4 diesel that you mention are a nonstarter. Diesels do not save any money - even though they get better mileage. In the U.S., ultra low sulphur fuel costs $0.30 to $0.60 more per gallon than Premium gas and there's an even larger differential with regular gas. So any fuel savings provided by the diesel is offset by the higher cost of fuel. People in the U.S. buy diesels for the increased torque vs. gas engines. No one would pay a $4,000 to $5,000 premium price on a diesel option that provides no torque advantage over the gas engine. You would get no fuel savings and no power increase. It would make no sense. I think the only option for Jeep is to go with the engine Jeep already certified, the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel they are offering in the Grand Cherokee.
You're arguing against what they're already doing in another vehicle, though. The Promaster is available with the Pentastar or the diesel 4 banger at a $4,000 premium.

The torque advantage is that the diesel will make that peak torque at 1500 RPM, vs. winding the Pentastar to 4200 RPM to get it.

Look how long they have exported diesel Wranglers, and have never put in anything but a 4 cylinder. The Ram 1500 gets the V6 because of its tow rating, the JK is limited there by both wheelbase and brakes.

Understand that I'm not arguing for the 4 banger as the better solution, but going by what they've done in the past and how the power aligns itself with the 3.6. My 2013 would be on Craigslist today if I could get the 3.0 V6.
TOK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Seattle & Tucson
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOK View Post
You're arguing against what they're already doing in another vehicle, though. The Promaster is available with the Pentastar or the diesel 4 banger at a $4,000 premium.

The torque advantage is that the diesel will make that peak torque at 1500 RPM, vs. winding the Pentastar to 4200 RPM to get it.

Look how long they have exported diesel Wranglers, and have never put in anything but a 4 cylinder. The Ram 1500 gets the V6 because of its tow rating, the JK is limited there by both wheelbase and brakes.

Understand that I'm not arguing for the 4 banger as the better solution, but going by what they've done in the past and how the power aligns itself with the 3.6. My 2013 would be on Craigslist today if I could get the 3.0 V6.
Good point. My mistake was to use logic and I forgot what P.T. Barnum said - a sucker is born every minute. The marketing people know better - that a lot of people don't know the difference between diesels and might buy one just cause it is a diesel.
augsburg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #28
Aussie in Exile

WF Supporting Member
 
tomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PWC, NOVA
Posts: 401
Images: 3
I know a few people here that have the diesel wranglers and they wish they could get the Pentastar engine! I was at the Jeep dealer here not too long ago picking up a few parts for my XJ, and the service bays were full diesel Wranglers getting serviced. I do hope they go with the Fiat diesel...they're very reliable though not very powerful.
The 3.6 is out of the price range for even the wealthy folks here...they pay tax based on engine size and age.
__________________
Current Jeeps:
1998 Jeep XJ- SOLD!
2014 Granite JKU Rubicon X 730n/ Dual Top/ 6SP Manual
tomba is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
WebDevDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 479
I was thinking about swapping in an RX-8 rotary engine.





But seriously, no, the diesel will probably not be here for 2015.
WebDevDan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,464
If the diesel doesn't make more than 260 HP, it isn't going to do a thing for me. All the yammering about torque that people do, but at the end of the day horsepower is what accomplishes work.

i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC