305 70 17's and tire carrier - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
305 70 17's and tire carrier

I already received my rugged ridge wheels (17x9), today I ordered the BFG Mud Terrains in a 305 70 17 which will go on after TF leveling kit is installed. My question is will I be fine with the stock tire carrier on the trunk as far as fitment and weight go? Any pics with this setup would be great! Thanks.

TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
I already received my rugged ridge wheels (17x9), today I ordered the BFG Mud Terrains in a 305 70 17 which will go on after TF leveling kit is installed. My question is will I be fine with the stock tire carrier on the trunk as far as fitment and weight go? Any pics with this setup would be great! Thanks.
Fitment, you should be fine...though you might have to buy some Daystar bumpstops, and cut em down to fit, depending on the backspacing of your wheels. You could also make your own, if you're handy and have something laying around that'll do the job (see Advanced Search Tool).

As far as weight, 305 is on t he cusp, IMO. Keep it snugged up against the stops (see above), and you should be fine, unless you're gonna wheel a lot. In which case, I'd recommend an aftermarket tire carrier...either a bumper/carrier combo, or something like the TF HD Tire Carrier.

Research.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Awesome, thanks for the info KB
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info KB
Don't know where you are in NY...I spent 3 years in the Bronx. If you're gonna drive all city, with the occasional off-road trip, stick with your stock carrier, and just throw your spare in the rear when you wheel.

That's the main thing...going off-road. That's what will trash your welds in the tailgate. A loose tire, banging around. In fact, if you keep a tire––even one that's overweight––snugged up to the tailgate, you should have no problems.

If you stay outta the Bronx.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Don't know where you are in NY...I spent 3 years in the Bronx. If you're gonna drive all city, with the occasional off-road trip, stick with your stock carrier, and just throw your spare in the rear when you wheel.

That's the main thing...going off-road. That's what will trash your welds in the tailgate. A loose tire, banging around. In fact, if you keep a tire––even one that's overweight––snugged up to the tailgate, you should have no problems.

If you stay outta the Bronx.
I live in queens and work in manhattan which can be ruff at times. Hopefully within the next year I change my bumpers and do a rear bumper mounted carrier and not have to worry about it.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
I live in queens and work in manhattan which can be ruff at times. Hopefully within the next year I change my bumpers and do a rear bumper mounted carrier and not have to worry about it.
Queens. Jesus, you're rich?

Kidding.

Anyway, if you're just looking to get by...spare wise...check this out. I ran it for a year, on-road, and took the spare off when I wheeled. No problems...again, the key is keeping the tire tight against the tailgate.

Smittybilt 2743 - Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier in Black for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
J33P4M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
i just bought the Teraflex HD hinged adjustable. pricey, but so is my Jeep.
J33P4M3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by J33P4M3 View Post
i just bought the Teraflex HD hinged adjustable. pricey, but so is my Jeep.
Did you install yet, was it easy?
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
J33P4M3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 151
not yet arrived, coming in Monday.. Teraflex has a video on the installation on youtube. looks to be very easy. no drilling
J33P4M3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ahsumtoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 538
Jeep did mine

I run the same tires as you mentioned. For under $200, Jeep upgraded my spare tire carrier without going to a new bumper. I have taken it all over off road, especially down washboard roads, and I have had no problem with my hinges.

ahsumtoy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC