4.5/4" BDS lift - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Homerjay4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 76
4.5/4" BDS lift

Hi all,

Leaning towards this lift, but I am seeing some mixed thoughts on whether or not I need to change the front driveshaft. What are some thoughts here? I plan to run 35s with this lift. I have a 2013 Rubicon 10a. Thanks.

__________________
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

2013 Rubicon 10A
Homerjay4242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
123Jato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 388
Too tall of a lift for 35" .i am personally going with a 3.5" lift for my 35" but most only do 2.5" lift for that size tire

123Jato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Homerjay4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Jato View Post
Too tall of a lift for 35" .i am personally going with a 3.5" lift for my 35" but most only do 2.5" lift for that size tire
Why do you say it is too tall?
__________________
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

2013 Rubicon 10A
Homerjay4242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
123Jato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 388
IMO it will look a little funny.

This one has 3"lift on 35" tires

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4061821796.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	287425

And this one is the same setup but with higher fenders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-741615165.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	287426

Most threads will recommend 2.5" lift for 35's but I like the higher look of the 3.5 but a 4.5 really belongs with a 37" tire.

This is a 4.5" lift on 35's

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1041459103.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	287432



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2474401371.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	287433
123Jato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,777
Way to much lift if not done correctly.
All 8 CA's/TB's, high steer or dropped pitman <---
Yes driveshafts !!!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Crush21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 348
If you want to buy a new front driveshaft go for it.
Crush21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Homerjay4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Jato View Post
IMO it will look a little funny.

This one has 3"lift on 35" tires

And this one is the same setup but with higher fenders.

Most threads will recommend 2.5" lift for 35's but I like the higher look of the 3.5 but a 4.5 really belongs with a 37" tire.

This is a 4.5" lift on 35's
I see what you are saying there. The guy that owns the shop has a Sahara with the 4.5 kit and it does not look as talk as those photos. Does the BDS sit lower?
__________________
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

2013 Rubicon 10A
Homerjay4242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,393
I have the BDS 4" short arm lift. ran it with 35s and stock driveshafts for about a year and a half. (jk, not JKU) did okay the kit is fairly complete... in the long run I wound up changing everything. still have the shocks and the coils but they're going to be gone sooner or later.

if all you're doing is running 35s stay with a 2.5" lift. you'll be glad you did. components are going to wear when you lift... the higher you go, the more you have to change or chase to keep your rig running right.
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ohioviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 1,916
Get yourself a 2.5" spring lift from TF,RK or MC with some nice shocks .
__________________

2015 JKU Wifes
2013 JK mine
2000 TJ son's
ohioviper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 36,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
I have the BDS 4" short arm lift. ran it with 35s and stock driveshafts for about a year and a half. (jk, not JKU) did okay the kit is fairly complete... in the long run I wound up changing everything. still have the shocks and the coils but they're going to be gone sooner or later.

if all you're doing is running 35s stay with a 2.5" lift. you'll be glad you did. components are going to wear when you lift... the higher you go, the more you have to change or chase to keep your rig running right.
Good post
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #11
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,393
thank you sir
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Homerjay4242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 76
Why are folks opposed to a larger lift? 2.5 seems small considering the 10A already sits higher, albeit not much, than other models.
__________________
Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.

2013 Rubicon 10A
Homerjay4242 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
123Jato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 388
My suggestion is 3.5" lift. I went with metalcloak.
123Jato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
PHILDABEAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Farmington N.M.
Posts: 871
Put a 3" bds on my wifes with 35's, it looks proper, good and complete lift but it will use every last bit of fender clearance it's got when you stuff a tire.
PHILDABEAST is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
TopDwnWhlsUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern Co
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerjay4242 View Post
Why are folks opposed to a larger lift? 2.5 seems small considering the 10A already sits higher, albeit not much, than other models.
People are opposed to higher lifts mainly because the higher you go the higher your center of gravity goes increasing your rollover rate. 4-6 inch lifts are common on tj's and older jeeps because you had to lift your jeep to that range if you wanted to run 35's. On Jk's you can run 2.5 and 35's all day or even get flat fenders and run a 2.5 and 37's if you wanted. Most people lift to fit bigger tires. That said if you personally just like the look of a 3.5 with 35's by all means go for it.
TopDwnWhlsUp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
TopDwnWhlsUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: southern Co
Posts: 252
*4-4.5 with 35's I meant haha
TopDwnWhlsUp is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
RE 3.5" Super Flex Short Arm. 35x12.50x17's RE front drive shaft.

ACOS adjustable spacers up front +1" with no adjustment - its about 1.5" right now.

3/4 spacer in the rear

I need to lower the front half an inch or so. But I like it. 37's will require additional upgrades that I don't want to really do at this time.

I had a 2" BB with the 35's but I was touching the belly more than I liked. I don't think I would do a lift smaller than 3" on a 4 door if your doing rock crawling IMO.

If its a 2 door you can probably get away with as the 2 doors seem to get more height outta lifts its seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130820_171247.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	288263   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130820_171302.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	288264  

gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
As usual there is a lot of funky stuff going on and some stuff that is somewhat misleading.

1. Why would you buy a top of the line jeep and put a marginal lift on it. My experiences with Bds have included nothing but fails. For those of you with great Bds lifts...just wait...unlike diamonds...they turn to crap with pressure and time...and don't ride well in comparison to others.
2. The reason the pictured jeeps look taller is because they are running flat or (unfortunately) cut flares...that can make lift look taller and the tires look smaller...and unless you are running 37's on a 2.5" lift...it kinda looks bad.
3. Without cut flares a 35 looks proportional from 2.5 to 4" of lift.
4. More lift does not mean more tippy...especially when you factor in the fact that wheel backspacing has to be addressed on on pretty much any lifted jk...TJ....YJ...CJ...you get the picture.

Don't fear the lift, just do it right. Oh, and every 4.5+ I've done needed driveshafts.
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
My jeep not only looks taller it is.

True, I have the smitybilt xrc fenders.

However, with the ACOS up front and the 3/4 inch spacer in the rear, it's closer to 4.5".

I wheel with several 3" and 3.5" lifts and Iam a little taller. One guy has a JKU with the same lift, same acos spacers and 3/4 spacer in the rear and Iam exactly 1" taller in the front and .5" in the rear.

Now I understand your not a fan of cut flares or maybe flat flares..out has no bearing on lift height..only cosmetics..which is not what the OP wanted to know.

Add a side note, I will do 37s eventually, however, with larger tires come additional upgrades to support those tires. So right now the frame work is set for the larger tires.
__________________
2013 Billet Silver 2 Door Sport -TeraFlex Elite Long Arm with Rock Krawler 3.5" Triple Rate Coils- Yukon 5.13 Gears - Detroit Locker (front)Eaton "E" Locker(rear) - TeraFlex Flip Kit/high Steer - Currie HD Tie Rod - Smittybilt XRC Front MoD Bumper w/stinger and Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper - XRC 9000LB winch - XRC Flat Fenders - Cooper Discovery MT 35x12.50x17 - Custom Urban Camo Grill -
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
123Jato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 388
Also with 3.5" lift 35's and cut flares there will be some crazy flex.
123Jato is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
TurbineGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerjay4242 View Post
Hi all,

Leaning towards this lift, but I am seeing some mixed thoughts on whether or not I need to change the front driveshaft. What are some thoughts here? I plan to run 35s with this lift. I have a 2013 Rubicon 10a. Thanks.
I agree with pretty much everyone. You dont need a 4.5" lift. (and will look funny)

I have a 3" BDS lift with 35's and its perfect.

TurbineGuy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
















This is a 2" BB with 35's and falt fenders.

gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
TurbineGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 103
I agree with pretty much everyone. You dont need a 4.5" lift. (and will look funny)

I have a 3" BDS lift with 35's and its perfect.

BDS has the best guarantee and shop support I've found.

[/QUOTE]
TurbineGuy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
I agree with pretty much everyone. You dont need a 4.5" lift. (and will look funny)

I have a 3" BDS lift with 35's and its perfect.


You only need the amount of lift to clear whatever size tire your running - agreed.

My lift is a 3.5" lift, however, it was not planned to make it 4.5".

The ACOS spacers were installed in the front when I had a 2" BB to level the rake.

When the 3.5" lift was installed, the 3/4 spacer in the rear was left in from the BB....and of course the ACOS adjustable spacers left in place.

So once installed the actual height was taller as the ACOS gives you an inch from the start without being adjusted.

I am happy with the look with the exception of the front being slightly higher than the rear...about an inch. At some point I will adjust the ACOS back down to level it all out.
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Jato View Post
Also with 3.5" lift 35's and cut flares there will be some crazy flex.
Wow...not necessarily true
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurbineGuy View Post
I agree with pretty much everyone. You dont need a 4.5" lift. (and will look funny)

I have a 3" BDS lift with 35's and its perfect.

BDS has the best guarantee and shop support I've found.
[/QUOTE]

Pressure and time...you will get tired of replacing stuff
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
gorillahydrographics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 1,242
Pressure and time...you will get tired of replacing stuff[/QUOTE]

What do you have.... I am guessing skyjacker....
gorillahydrographics is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
It seems as if Bds has taken over as the new super awesome lift...it's just not.

One of the most common comments I hear is this "I expect it to ride like a jeep". No lifted jeep should ride like a jeep, it should ride like a Cadillac.
Another comment "it flexes like crazy" ...is that a good thing?
Or "with that set up you can stuff your tire all the way"...is that a good thing
Or "a lift makes a jeep tippy"...is that true

There is a lot of koolaid in good advertising, decent margins, forum mentality and warranties...but that's all it is. Look into getting a lift that will ride well and perform well for your needs. Oh, hopefully no b.s. covers labor.
BDS Suspension's obligation under all warranties is limited to the repair or replacement, at BDS's option, of the defective material. Any cost of removal, installation or reinstallation, freight charges, incidental or consequential damages are expressly excluded from these warranties.
Looks like it doesn't...get ready to grab your wrenches...it's gonna be a party..woo hoo!
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
jrussblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: se la
Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillahydrographics View Post
Pressure and time...you will get tired of replacing stuff
What do you have.... I am guessing skyjacker....[/QUOTE]

I'll entertain...
Tera 4" long arm
Fox shocks
Reid knuckles
Searchers drag link flip steering
Tera adjustable rear trackbar
Alloy USA ball joints
Tattons f/r drive shafts
Evo skids
Artec front axle armor
Artec rear truss

...that's some of what's on my jk, would you like me to outline the rest of my jeep builds from the years...or are we done being snippy
__________________
06 LJ
78? CJ-7
jrussblues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 12:21 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Crush21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrussblues View Post
It seems as if Bds has taken over as the new super awesome lift...it's just not.

One of the most common comments I hear is this "I expect it to ride like a jeep". No lifted jeep should ride like a jeep, it should ride like a Cadillac.
Another comment "it flexes like crazy" ...is that a good thing?
Or "with that set up you can stuff your tire all the way"...is that a good thing
Or "a lift makes a jeep tippy"...is that true

There is a lot of koolaid in good advertising, decent margins, forum mentality and warranties...but that's all it is. Look into getting a lift that will ride well and perform well for your needs. Oh, hopefully no b.s. covers labor.
BDS Suspension's obligation under all warranties is limited to the repair or replacement, at BDS's option, of the defective material. Any cost of removal, installation or reinstallation, freight charges, incidental or consequential damages are expressly excluded from these warranties.
Looks like it doesn't...get ready to grab your wrenches...it's gonna be a party..woo hoo!
Bingo.. This is correct and BDS is junk, in my opinion, don't buy a lift from a company that does not specialize in jeep! Pro comp being another great example, good truck lift, horrible horrible jeep lift.

Crush21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC