A Girl and her first Jeep Build! 2012 JK - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
A Girl and her first Jeep Build! 2012 JK

I thought it would be fun, for my own purposes and possibly others, to document my Jeep's many changes.

First, let us catch up to today!

Bone stock, day one (October, 2012). Mine is on the left... husband's on the right.


And it begins! (This is how our driveway looks on most weekends) 2.5" Rough Country on 33's... a humble beginning.


Testing it out, successfully!


Next came a CB (self fabricated mount), rocksliders, and decals




At this point, my husband has his 4" lift on 35's. I am jealous.




Other various parts have gone on, such as Steering stabilizer, Swaybar quick discos, etc. etc. Now comes the bumper and winch...


Next, the chopped fender flares!




And it didn't take long... already in my 4" (Zone) lift and 35's!


(note the still connected swaybar... spur of the moment hill climbing in the neighborhood!)


Now that I am off to a somewhat respectable start, I will try to document my build as I go. My husband is holding off on upgrading his 2012 until he returns from Afghanistan next year. At that point in time, we will be looking into axle swaps and 37's. Would love to hear some opinions, suggestions, questions, what have you. I absolutely love owning a jeep, and we have a blast working on them!


__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,217
nice build! y'all must have way too much fun with 2 jeeps and it must be difficult deciding which to drive.

liking those 35s or are you itching for 37s?

Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,964
Nice Jeep. I'm digging the Brawler Lite.
__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kenb1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewood NM
Posts: 892
Looks sweet and the Jeep isn’t not bad either. Seriously though, good work on the build. Nice machine. Thank your husband for me for his service and all my prayers for his safe return.
__________________
2007 Black JKU now known as the Black Mistress. 2.5 TF Coil Lift w/Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MB Chaos 5 Wheels, XRC MOD front Bumper, Smitybilt X2O Comp 8000 Winch, Amp Research Retractable Side Steps, Polly performance Suspension Bolt upgrade Superchip Programer and more
kenb1023 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #5
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kappaknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,276
I'm such a pansy... shots like this scare me more than some of the rock crawling stuff. For some reason I always think the Jeep will tip over in the cabin.

__________________
Support a Great Cause with our Jeep Emergency Response Team tee!

2013 Commando Green JKUR
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
kappaknight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb1023 View Post
Looks sweet and the Jeep isn’t not bad either. Seriously though, good work on the build. Nice machine. Thank your husband for me for his service and all my prayers for his safe return.
Thanks! I'll be sure to tell him. We run with a chapter from Military Jeepers (I am a veteran myself) and it is awesome to be a part of such a great jeep community. Tons of support. Really cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer2k View Post
Nice Jeep. I'm digging the Brawler Lite.
Thanks! It is by far my favorite purchase. I wanted one before I even had my own jeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar1229 View Post
nice build! y'all must have way too much fun with 2 jeeps and it must be difficult deciding which to drive.

liking those 35s or are you itching for 37s?
Yeah, we have a lot of fun. He bought one first and we argued about who got to drive so we figured it best that I buy one too! It is great to go wheeling together all the time.

I love the 35's but can't wait for 37's... that will come with a lot of extra work though so I will be waiting awhile.
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
I'm such a pansy... shots like this scare me more than some of the rock crawling stuff. For some reason I always think the Jeep will tip over in the cabin.
I tend to like the off camber stuff better than the hill climbs... I would rather just tip over than to roll off the side of a cliff lol!
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Mom2one's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 371
You go girl!!! Love it! I love that you and your husband do the jeep thing together too! We can't afford that right now but in the next few years we plan on retiring, getting a second jeep and then using them to explore all the beautiful places that you can only see with a jeep. Good job........Enjoy!
Mom2one is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Jayrubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeepGirl View Post
I thought it would be fun, for my own purposes and possibly others, to document my Jeep's many changes.

First, let us catch up to today!

Bone stock, day one (October, 2012). Mine is on the left... husband's on the right.

And it begins! (This is how our driveway looks on most weekends) 2.5" Rough Country on 33's... a humble beginning.

Testing it out, successfully!

Next came a CB (self fabricated mount), rocksliders, and decals

At this point, my husband has his 4" lift on 35's. I am jealous.

Other various parts have gone on, such as Steering stabilizer, Swaybar quick discos, etc. etc. Now comes the bumper and winch...

Next, the chopped fender flares!

And it didn't take long... already in my 4" (Zone) lift and 35's!

(note the still connected swaybar... spur of the moment hill climbing in the neighborhood!)

Now that I am off to a somewhat respectable start, I will try to document my build as I go. My husband is holding off on upgrading his 2012 until he returns from Afghanistan next year. At that point in time, we will be looking into axle swaps and 37's. Would love to hear some opinions, suggestions, questions, what have you. I absolutely love owning a jeep, and we have a blast working on them!

Those stickers on the switch panel are great! Lol
Where did you find those?
Jayrubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #10
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
markwoodlief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mount Vernon, WA
Posts: 283
where did you get these stickers? I love it!!

__________________
/l ,[___],
l--L-⌐OlllllllO-
▒)¯¯ ▒)--♂-▒)
2007 Jeep Green JKU
markwoodlief is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Jayrubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeepGirl View Post
Cool.... Thanks!
Jayrubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Mom2one's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
where did you get these stickers? I love it!!

You can also order them straight from Pixeldecals a little cheaper.

JK Funny Switch Bezel Decals
Mom2one is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Thorshammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lakeland Florida
Posts: 864
Very, very cool Jeep. Nice choices !! Thanks for your service.
__________________
2009 JKUX {SOLD}
2013 JK Triple Black 6 Speed
JKS Disconnects
Cooper Discovery STT 35x12.5x17 on MB TKO 17X8.5
Thorshammer7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Bad_Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pleasantville
Posts: 138
LOVE the stickers! I need one that says "Passenger Eject", or something to that affect. This way, when the wifey starts to backseat drive, I just have to point to that button.
Bad_Dog is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
asianhulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Alaska
Posts: 716
Very nice! You stated that your only 4'11" in my thread. Better not lift it too much Just kidding, looking good!
__________________
2013 JKU 10A Anvil/Black
Ordered 02/25/13, Delivered 05/14/13
asianhulk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
Huh? I am definitely almost 6' tall... must be thinking of someone else!
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
AdrianVall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 628
Wow! Very nice build! Looking awesome so far. What front bumper is that if you don't mind me asking?
__________________
2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport - Her name is Scarlett
AdrianVall is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianVall View Post
Wow! Very nice build! Looking awesome so far. What front bumper is that if you don't mind me asking?
Poison Spyder BrawlerLite with Trail Stinger. I love PSC stuff... I want it all!


Jeep Wrangler JK Front Bumper | JK Brawler Lite Front Bumper with Trail Stinger | Poison Spyder Customs
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
GunToter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Heart O' Texas
Posts: 501
I like it. Especially the AVN sticker. Spent some time crewing a 47. I know the group your talking about wheeling with. I hate to say but the only run in I've had with them wasnt a pleasent one, especially as a fellow Vet. Oh well, not everyone can be as awesome as me.

I always figured 4" of lift would be too much for a 2 door with "only" 35's, but dang that looks good! May have to start rethinking my lift choice.

Now, I dont mean to sound rude here or anything, it's just a bunch of hearsay, I'd like to hear from somebody who actually uses the products. I havent heard much good about Zone lifts or Smittybilt sliders. What is your take on them? The Smitty sliders are exactly the look and "snugness" to the body that I want, but want to make sure they'll install with out too much hastle and protect rather than krinkle as some posts would have you believe. I also hear about the Zone lifts riding like poo on the road. I drive 80 miles a day with a jacked up back from Iraq and A'stan, so I need somewhat of a decent ride (as a 2 door Jeep can give anyways!). Was there anything not in the kit that you ended up needing (extended brake lines, steering correction, ect; and how are the driveshaft angles with that much lift?

Sorry, I just realy like how you've built your Jeep so far, along the same lines as I'd like to build mine.
GunToter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
JKralph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: KCK
Posts: 10,254
very nice
JKralph is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunToter View Post
I like it. Especially the AVN sticker. Spent some time crewing a 47. I know the group your talking about wheeling with. I hate to say but the only run in I've had with them wasnt a pleasent one, especially as a fellow Vet. Oh well, not everyone can be as awesome as me.

I always figured 4" of lift would be too much for a 2 door with "only" 35's, but dang that looks good! May have to start rethinking my lift choice.

Now, I dont mean to sound rude here or anything, it's just a bunch of hearsay, I'd like to hear from somebody who actually uses the products. I havent heard much good about Zone lifts or Smittybilt sliders. What is your take on them? The Smitty sliders are exactly the look and "snugness" to the body that I want, but want to make sure they'll install with out too much hastle and protect rather than krinkle as some posts would have you believe. I also hear about the Zone lifts riding like poo on the road. I drive 80 miles a day with a jacked up back from Iraq and A'stan, so I need somewhat of a decent ride (as a 2 door Jeep can give anyways!). Was there anything not in the kit that you ended up needing (extended brake lines, steering correction, ect; and how are the driveshaft angles with that much lift?

Sorry, I just realy like how you've built your Jeep so far, along the same lines as I'd like to build mine.
Yay aviation! I used to work on Apaches, and my husband now flies them. (No, we didn't meet that way lol) As for the MJers, I hate to hear that you had a bad experience. I can think of a few personalities who might not be the friendliest though...

I hear you on the jacked up back... I did the same thing (thanks Iraq) and broke my pelvis too... I love the Zone kit. I upgraded to Nitro shocks and I think I get a pretty good ride. When you order it an exhaust mod is included, although we also opted to cut about an inch off the exhaust and move part of it back (something other lift kits mention, like the 4" RC, in their instructions but not Zone), and I bought a new pitman arm as well. The brake line brackets just got relocated and it seems to be just fine. I have been happy thus far.

As for the Smittybilts, I was very wary myself. They actually updated their rock sliders so they wouldn't crumple as easily. I've put some weight on mine and they are rock solid so far. We did have to dremel down the mounting locations about a 1/10 of an inch to get it to fit but that was no biggie. I've been happy with them.

If you are ever in the Belton area and want to check out the Jeep shoot me a message.
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
GunToter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Heart O' Texas
Posts: 501
Good to hear! I have an 09 so I dont think I'd need the exhaust spacers, but pitman for sure. Cool, thanks.

Good to hear about the Smitty's too, I aint scared of a little wallering. Some folks made it sound like they practicaly had to cut and re-weld lol. If I still had the tools to do that I wouldnt be buying any in the first place! Would you trust them as a jacking point for a hilift?

I go through Belton a lot, my family is still down in Round Rock. Infact, a couple buddies and me were talking about maybe going to Iron Bridge and getting dirty this weekend. Need to see how some other things pan out first though. If we go I'll PM ya incase your itchin for some mud.

Thanks for the answers. VA is re-evaluating my disability, they voluntarily are looking to up my percentage with back pay (first good thing the VA has done for me) If it happens I'm going mod crazy!

If you find yourself in Waco PM me too.
GunToter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
DirkC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 29
I'd love to hear where you go the decals for the console (crawler mode, nuke, eject etc). I saw that and now I have to have it!

Please let me know!!
DirkC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #25
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 177
TexasJeepGirl,

Very awesome looking Jeep!
watusibison is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 169
JK NOOB is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #27
Stewed Screwed & Tattooed

WF Supporting Member
 
SullyRock71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,051
Images: 1
Very cool that you guys are building your Jeeps up together! My thanks and prayers to your husband on his safe return and thanks for your service as well!
__________________
What do you want to be when you grow up son?

I want to be a fireman!

Sorry, you can only do one or the other: Grow up or be a fireman!
SullyRock71 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
TexasJeepGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyRock71
Very cool that you guys are building your Jeeps up together! My thanks and prayers to your husband on his safe return and thanks for your service as well!
Thanks! It's fun being able to do it together, although we get really competitive and its expensive when you have TWO! :P
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
TexasJeepGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 05:59 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
warbird24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 299
Images: 3
Damn, I miss living in that part of the country!
warbird24 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
catahoula1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 116
Your Jeep rocks! Loving the mods!

__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
"Owning a Jeep is like having a Honey-Do list. It's never done and there is always something to add to it."....Uncle Pete
"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."
catahoula1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC