advice on snorkel help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
joe buell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 610
advice on snorkel help

I know not another thread on snorkels doe's anyone know if there is a snorkel that you do not have to cut a hole in your jeep for? and all I see advertised is snorkels for 2011 not 2012s has anyone used any of these on a 2012 I hunt in a place that is under water at times and they have special hunts all year and in rainy season it gets pretty bad I know its not a submarine but just want to protect my jeep. pic below is some of the more shallow spots I would not go deeper without a snorkel&tube extensions any install vids or pics or any advice would be apreciated thanks so much Joe.

joe buell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,391
AEV hood

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Revyjku08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
AEV hood
x2 on AEV snorkel
__________________
08JKU - 3:73/6spd/OME HD lift/35x12.50 Cooper STT's/ LOD bumpers/Warn XD9000i/Bushwacker Flats/IPF headlights/Superchips/AEV Snorkel

"Modifying a JK is like wiping your ass with a Hula-Hoop it's never ending"
Revyjku08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
joe buell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 610
am I to understand I need a AEV hood and snorkel REVYjku08 are the 08s and 2012s the same and if I have to buy a hood also. would it not be as cheap to pay the dealer to install it ??? I just do not want to cut my hood myself ?? yours is the style I like but its a stock hood right just been cut did you do it or someone else do it thax guys Joe.
joe buell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jknate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 98
I'm not to sure what or if you have to cut anything, but rugged ridge has a new snorkal that is high on my list right now!
jknate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
snochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,111
Images: 2
If you get the AEV hood with the AEV snorkel you don't have to cut b/c it fits through the vent in the AEV hood.

The rugged ridge snorkel is looking like it just replaces the cowl piece completely and you just have to cut underneath on a piece of plastic. This snorkel hasn't actually started shipping yet though. I have one on order for hubby's Rubicon and will be playing around to see if it will also fit my 2012 so I can figure out if I need to order a 2nd one.

Since so many people are asking about this, I'll make sure I post about what I find out when they finally ship ours to us.
__________________
Harley Quinn: 2011 JKU Bright Silver Rubicon (His)
Poison Ivy: 2012 JKU Gecko Pearl Sport (Mine)

Jeeps of Old: '89 White YJ (1rst Jeep), '01 TJ Yellow Sport, Mudbird: 2001 TJ Silver Sport (Miss this old girl, may she rest in peace)
snochick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jknate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by snochick
If you get the AEV hood with the AEV snorkel you don't have to cut b/c it fits through the vent in the AEV hood.

The rugged ridge snorkel is looking like it just replaces the cowl piece completely and you just have to cut underneath on a piece of plastic. This snorkel hasn't actually started shipping yet though. I have one on order for hubby's Rubicon and will be playing around to see if it will also fit my 2012 so I can figure out if I need to order a 2nd one.

Since so many people are asking about this, I'll make sure I post about what I find out when they finally ship ours to us.
Please do, very interested in this setup. The rugged ridge sounds more affordable also.
jknate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
joe buell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 610
thanks all and Ill check out r/r to see configuration wonder cost of aev to buy hood and snorkel sounds exspensive will check it also thanks Joe
joe buell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Revyjku08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe buell View Post
am I to understand I need a AEV hood and snorkel REVYjku08 are the 08s and 2012s the same and if I have to buy a hood also. would it not be as cheap to pay the dealer to install it ??? I just do not want to cut my hood myself ?? yours is the style I like but its a stock hood right just been cut did you do it or someone else do it thax guys Joe.
I would think the hoods are the same, now the only question I would think is if the stock airbox location is the same location with the 3.6L as the 3.8L? You can always ask AEV but I would think there would be some difference in the location with the engine change.

I did the cutting myself with a dremmel cutting blade. Very simple job for a beginner, it's just getting the nuts to cut into your hood. Just make sure the AEV template is 1:1 scale, measure 2 or 3 times before you cut and drill. Then just touch up the cut with primer and touch-up paint, add the hood trim piece, install the snorkel, seal up all the holes in the stock box and snorkel joint to airbox to make the system air-tight. Took me about 2hrs in total to complete the job.

good write-up can be found here:
AEV Snorkel Install Write-Up
__________________
08JKU - 3:73/6spd/OME HD lift/35x12.50 Cooper STT's/ LOD bumpers/Warn XD9000i/Bushwacker Flats/IPF headlights/Superchips/AEV Snorkel

"Modifying a JK is like wiping your ass with a Hula-Hoop it's never ending"
Revyjku08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revyjku08 View Post
I would think the hoods are the same, now the only question I would think is if the stock airbox location is the same location with the 3.6L as the 3.8L? You can always ask AEV but I would think there would be some difference in the location with the engine change.

I did the cutting myself with a dremmel cutting blade. Very simple job for a beginner, it's just getting the nuts to cut into your hood. Just make sure the AEV template is 1:1 scale, measure 2 or 3 times before you cut and drill. Then just touch up the cut with primer and touch-up paint, add the hood trim piece, install the snorkel, seal up all the holes in the stock box and snorkel joint to airbox to make the system air-tight. Took me about 2hrs in total to complete the job.

good write-up can be found here:
AEV Snorkel Install Write-Up
Was it a dremel cutting wheel? How many did you go through? I used 4 on my cutting my pinch seams.
Vin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
joe buell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 610
revyjku08 & vinn thanks for the help and vinn thats the best set of pics Ive seen yet showing how to do it still on the fence on doing it myself not as hard as I thought it would be just got to get the nuts to cut my hood thanks a bunch Joe.
joe buell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Revyjku08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Was it a dremel cutting wheel? How many did you go through? I used 4 on my cutting my pinch seams.
I went through 1 cutting disc. I used the EZ Lock Cut-Off Wheels for Metal discs.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joe buell View Post
revyjku08 & vinn thanks for the help and vinn thats the best set of pics Ive seen yet showing how to do it still on the fence on doing it myself not as hard as I thought it would be just got to get the nuts to cut my hood thanks a bunch Joe.
No problems Joe. Like you said it's getting a set of nuts to cut the hood!
__________________
08JKU - 3:73/6spd/OME HD lift/35x12.50 Cooper STT's/ LOD bumpers/Warn XD9000i/Bushwacker Flats/IPF headlights/Superchips/AEV Snorkel

"Modifying a JK is like wiping your ass with a Hula-Hoop it's never ending"
Revyjku08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Md_rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 61
I believe with rr snorkel, you have to take the fender off to install their kit. Your best bet is to do a aev one with their hood. I have river raider, love it but you have to cut. Also dont forget to extend the breather hoses. Everyone seems to forget to do this
Md_rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Revyjku08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Md_rubi View Post
I believe with rr snorkel, you have to take the fender off to install their kit. Your best bet is to do a aev one with their hood. I have river raider, love it but you have to cut. Also dont forget to extend the breather hoses. Everyone seems to forget to do this
or get a set of breather creepers .

__________________
08JKU - 3:73/6spd/OME HD lift/35x12.50 Cooper STT's/ LOD bumpers/Warn XD9000i/Bushwacker Flats/IPF headlights/Superchips/AEV Snorkel

"Modifying a JK is like wiping your ass with a Hula-Hoop it's never ending"
Revyjku08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,765
Would could I buy those?? ^^^^^
Thanks
__________________
14 JK WW
11 JK
03 TJ
97 TJ
95 YJ
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
snochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,111
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Md_rubi
I believe with rr snorkel, you have to take the fender off to install their kit. Your best bet is to do a aev one with their hood. I have river raider, love it but you have to cut. Also dont forget to extend the breather hoses. Everyone seems to forget to do this
Actually it's just the cowl piece. It's held on by 2 screws and a couple tack welds on top of the fender. Pretty minor and the rr kit completely covers it. Whether its completely replaced or cut into has yet to be determined as they havent released install instructions yet last I checked.

Aev is least invasive if you buy there hood but I just can't see spending that kind of cash on a hood. So many more worthwhile things I could do to my rig than a new hood. I'd rather cut.
__________________
Harley Quinn: 2011 JKU Bright Silver Rubicon (His)
Poison Ivy: 2012 JKU Gecko Pearl Sport (Mine)

Jeeps of Old: '89 White YJ (1rst Jeep), '01 TJ Yellow Sport, Mudbird: 2001 TJ Silver Sport (Miss this old girl, may she rest in peace)
snochick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,765
I would go RR but then again I don't like having the same thing as most people.
__________________
14 JK WW
11 JK
03 TJ
97 TJ
95 YJ
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Revyjku08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Posts: 334
__________________
08JKU - 3:73/6spd/OME HD lift/35x12.50 Cooper STT's/ LOD bumpers/Warn XD9000i/Bushwacker Flats/IPF headlights/Superchips/AEV Snorkel

"Modifying a JK is like wiping your ass with a Hula-Hoop it's never ending"
Revyjku08 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,765
Thanks. ^^^^

__________________
14 JK WW
11 JK
03 TJ
97 TJ
95 YJ
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC