Air Down on the sand... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 38
Air Down on the sand...

I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Arctic...has the Rubicon tires. What is the normal PSI to air down to when driving on the beach?

Anyone have the Staun Tire Deflators? Any good?

Thanks all....

__________________
2012 Arctic Unlimited
AEV Bumpers
1.5 inch spacers
Xenon Headlights/Fog Lights
ARCTIC-NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
I usually go 18.. just don't go too low. The Stauns are worth the money.. don't get the cheap imitations because they don't always shut off and you could wind up overshooting your PSI.

I see you are NYC.. what beaches are you hitting?

ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kurtz265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 685
Same as guns- I usually go down to 18, although this past weekend I didnt bother since there was lots of packed sand from tire tracks and i have decently wide (285/75/17) tires. I didnt feel like I dug in at any time.

As far as the Staun deflators, they are a MUST if you are going onto the beach a lot. A definite time and backache saver.
kurtz265 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
cmgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicopee, Ma
Posts: 110
I usually go down to about 12 PSI on mine. I don't have the Stauns, but I do have the Oasis Trailhead ones. Some form of deflator is a must for frequent oversand driving.
__________________
2012 Rubicon JKU Deep Cherry Red
6 Speed, Black Hard Top, Heated Seats, Connectivity, 430N Media Center, Max Tow, Auto AC
Mods:
RF Accessory Control : ARB Compressor : Terra Grapplers P285/70R17 : Rugged Ridge Black Satin Wheels : Truck-Lite 27270C
cmgrant is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,087
I air down to 15psi on the beach with the Rubicon tires. I use Smittybilt deflators. They are half the price of Stauns and every bit as accurate.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
By the looks of it, if you air down between 12-18 your good. And use a reliable simple deflate method to save backache and time. About covers it : P
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmcd99
By the looks of it, if you air down between 12-18 your good. And use a reliable simple deflate method to save backache and time. About covers it : P
That sums it up pretty well!
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 38
I saw the smittybilt on Quadratec...they told me to stay away, but then again, they are in business to make money.

I've been going to Smith Point in Shirley, NY.
__________________
2012 Arctic Unlimited
AEV Bumpers
1.5 inch spacers
Xenon Headlights/Fog Lights
ARCTIC-NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC-NYC
I saw the smittybilt on Quadratec...they told me to stay away, but then again, they are in business to make money.

I've been going to Smith Point in Shirley, NY.
I use mine a lot and am very satisfied with them.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,577
Another god question is what PSI should you fill up to when leaving? You obviously can't use the cold tire pressure suggestion from the factory because the tires are probably quite warmed up by the time you reach the exit. So what's a good PSI for warm tires?
__________________
-Lou
'12 JK Rubicon
Matador is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,087
You still fill them the same. The air going in isn't "hot". It's when you are checking them that the tires should be "cold". "Hot" usually refers to tires that have been driven at highway speeds.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kurtz265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 685
yep, i go right back up to 38 on my duratracs.
kurtz265 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
NY_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC-NYC View Post
I saw the smittybilt on Quadratec...they told me to stay away, but then again, they are in business to make money.

I've been going to Smith Point in Shirley, NY.

Have you been going there to hang on beach or drive down the inlet?

Going for first time on Saturday morning with wife and kids.

Just got the ARB Deflator and Gauge and also picked up the MV-50 compressor. Tried them out in the safety of my driveway last night. Haha.

Is it easy enough to navigate and get to the beach at Smith's Point?
NY_Joe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kurtz265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Joe View Post
Have you been going there to hang on beach or drive down the inlet?

Going for first time on Saturday morning with wife and kids.

Just got the ARB Deflator and Gauge and also picked up the MV-50 compressor. Tried them out in the safety of my driveway last night. Haha.

Is it easy enough to navigate and get to the beach at Smith's Point?
The good thing about Smith Point is that they provide air at several fill up stations near the entrance to the beach. It couldnt be easier. You simply drive straight, and blammo, you pop out onto the beach.

Unfortunately, due to ploving pipers nesting, the inlet access has been closed off and only the 1st cut is open to day trippers. I strongly reccommend going early- it actually got PACKED last weekend and they stopped letting people on mid-morning.
kurtz265 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC-NYC View Post
I saw the smittybilt on Quadratec...they told me to stay away, but then again, they are in business to make money.

I've been going to Smith Point in Shirley, NY.
were you there last Saturday AM around 10 AM? I saw an arctic jeep getting in around the same time.. first one i saw in person.. awesome color
ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Joe View Post
Have you been going there to hang on beach or drive down the inlet?

Going for first time on Saturday morning with wife and kids.

Just got the ARB Deflator and Gauge and also picked up the MV-50 compressor. Tried them out in the safety of my driveway last night. Haha.

Is it easy enough to navigate and get to the beach at Smith's Point?
Getting on the beach is easy.. just go straight. Do you have your permit already? That line for the permit can get looooooong on a weekend.
ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
I air down to 15psi on the beach with the Rubicon tires. I use Smittybilt deflators. They are half the price of Stauns and every bit as accurate.
I calibrate all deflators for our customers. I've calibrated two sets of smittys and they both would fluctuate, and a couple you had to unscrew to get them started.
The stauns are flawless. You get what you pay (china) for.
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,087
Mine have been flawless.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
NY_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
Getting on the beach is easy.. just go straight. Do you have your permit already? That line for the permit can get looooooong on a weekend.
Sweet. Thanks for the info. Kids have been dying to go and so have I.

I got the permit on Monday during the monsoon. My first day off in six months. Figures.

Have to slap it on the bumper and ready to go.
NY_Joe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
NY_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtz265 View Post
The good thing about Smith Point is that they provide air at several fill up stations near the entrance to the beach. It couldnt be easier. You simply drive straight, and blammo, you pop out onto the beach.

Unfortunately, due to ploving pipers nesting, the inlet access has been closed off and only the 1st cut is open to day trippers. I strongly reccommend going early- it actually got PACKED last weekend and they stopped letting people on mid-morning.
Thanks for the info.

Plan on heading out to be there around 9am. Spend the morning and leave in afternoon. Don't know how the kids will be all day so we are trying a little at a time.
NY_Joe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Joe View Post
Thanks for the info.

Plan on heading out to be there around 9am. Spend the morning and leave in afternoon. Don't know how the kids will be all day so we are trying a little at a time.
Nice! Wife and I are taking the kid out there and shooting to be there around the same time. Black debadged JKU w/ vanity plates.

Kurtz is right though.. they need to open the beach back up and forget those stupid piping plovers.. we protect them and then they migrate to the carribean where they are served for lunch!
ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
were you there last Saturday AM around 10 AM? I saw an arctic jeep getting in around the same time.. first one i saw in person.. awesome color
Whoops.. I meant Sunday..
ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
NY_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
Nice! Wife and I are taking the kid out there and shooting to be there around the same time. Black debadged JKU w/ vanity plates.

Kurtz is right though.. they need to open the beach back up and forget those stupid piping plovers.. we protect them and then they migrate to the carribean where they are served for lunch!
Cool. I have 2 boys 6 and 4 who love this Jeep. Can't get enough of it. I have a Deep Cherry Red JKU with 18" 7 Spoke rims. Only 2500 miles on it in 3 months and just dumped out for older boys camp so no mods, if any, until later in the year.

I'll keep an eye out for ya.
NY_Joe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Thracks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pismo Beach
Posts: 509
FYI: Mud terrain tires are horrible in sand. Paddles are apparently the best way to go but they can't be used on the street. I have a set of BFG All-Terrains and they perform much better than the mud terrains they replaced. I used "apparently" because it's not really certain. I've looked all over and I can never find a straight answer as to which type of tires are better than others. Someone even saw a truck parked out in Pismo with full racing slicks. It would make sense, since you want to "float" and not dig.
__________________
lol land rover
Thracks is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC Area
Posts: 38
I bought the Stauns. I was there Sunday, all day. I'll be there this Sunday as well. If you see the Arctic...say hi!
__________________
2012 Arctic Unlimited
AEV Bumpers
1.5 inch spacers
Xenon Headlights/Fog Lights
ARCTIC-NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Savora's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 298
I bought my tire deflators on ebay, love them they do the job and save my back. Not real sure of the brand, don't really care cause they work I haven't been in the sand YET working on that this summer, but for off roading here in the Midwest I air down to 18 for now.
__________________
I want to be like Barbie that bitch has everything!
Savora is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
NY_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeguns View Post
Getting on the beach is easy.. just go straight. Do you have your permit already? That line for the permit can get looooooong on a weekend.
One more dumb question, do you air down before the booth at Smith's Point or is there a place after the booth to pull over and air down befor ehitting the sand?

Sorry for being such a newb and hijacking the thread.
NY_Joe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kurtz265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ridgefield, CT
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Joe View Post
One more dumb question, do you air down before the booth at Smith's Point or is there a place after the booth to pull over and air down befor ehitting the sand?

Sorry for being such a newb and hijacking the thread.
Either way is cool! There is plenty of pull off space to air down after the booth
kurtz265 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
NY_Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 125
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtz265 View Post
Either way is cool! There is plenty of pull off space to air down after the booth
Much appreciated. Excited for tomorrow but don't want to stand out as the schmuck who has no idea what's going on. HAha.

Thanks for the info.
NY_Joe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
ilikeguns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Joe View Post
Much appreciated. Excited for tomorrow but don't want to stand out as the schmuck who has no idea what's going on. HAha.

Thanks for the info.
don't worry... there will be a bunch of those people...

ilikeguns is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC