Aluminum fronts and rears - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
NastyPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA & Placencia Peninsula, Belize
Posts: 171
Aluminum fronts and rears

I'm leaning towards aluminum bumpers, due to a desire to keep weight down and due to the humidity where this JKUR will be spending all of its time (sub-tropics).

I have seen a few of them on Google searches, but which aluminums have any of you had experience with? Looking for a mid-to-full with winch mount and brush guard for the front, and an attached tire carrier for the rear. I will not be crawling.

Thanks for any recommendations.

bill

NastyPirate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,906
LOD mid width armor lite front.

Genright aluminum rear.

__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,906
my mistake, the LOD armor lite is steel.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
lolpetewtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,943
Rugged Ridge XHD are very popular aluminum bumpers.
__________________
2012 Cosmos Blue JK
Galaxy DX-99v2/Sirio 5000

S Package/Auto/Dual Top
Custom Stereo/20% Tint
lolpetewtf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
kbaum03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Plains okay Wyoming
Posts: 223
I have TnT Customs aluminum front mid with bumper and rear I believe it is called "Adventures series" aluminum bumpers take a look at their website. I really like them but haven't had them too long you can see the front one in my pic on the left side.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Unlimited Rubicon with Warn winch, Tnt Midwith front bumper and TnT adventure rear bumper, 4" OME lift Tnt short arm kit, full skids, front axle truss etc..., Rock Sliders, Rigid2 lights, teraflex tire carrier and other stuff


2003 Sahara 4.0 already miss it
kbaum03 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyPirate View Post
I'm leaning towards aluminum bumpers, due to a desire to keep weight down and due to the humidity where this JKUR will be spending all of its time (sub-tropics).

I have seen a few of them on Google searches, but which aluminums have any of you had experience with? Looking for a mid-to-full with winch mount and brush guard for the front, and an attached tire carrier for the rear. I will not be crawling.

Thanks for any recommendations.

bill
I recommend you run a front steel, and a rear aluminum, with the OEM tow hitch and a steel beaver tail (or the stock bumper.) You want the front end to protect the rest of your vehicle, so you DO want the weight. I would also recommend a steel bumper with a pre-runner style bar. The rampage recover bumper is an excellent choice for your application.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Twoxstreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 29
Images: 4
RS-E Aluminum are solid bumpers! There rear with the tire hanger doesn't even vibrate over bumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep at Dedona.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	288853  
Twoxstreem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Sponsoring Vendor
 
KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,645
My vote would be GenRight all the way... They even have a new line of Carbon Fiber bumpers we could help you with as well! They wont rust either! LOL...

-Jason
__________________
KrawlOff-Road.com:
Facebook
Email
Phone: 864-437-8029
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
narphenal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I recommend you run a front steel, and a rear aluminum, with the OEM tow hitch and a steel beaver tail (or the stock bumper.) You want the front end to protect the rest of your vehicle, so you DO want the weight. I would also recommend a steel bumper with a pre-runner style bar. The rampage recover bumper is an excellent choice for your application.
Not only for protection out to help out more weight down low at the front to help out your center of gravity
narphenal is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,906
He only needs steel if he's planning on dropping onto rocks. He's probably not.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
NastyPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA & Placencia Peninsula, Belize
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by legitposter View Post
He only needs steel if he's planning on dropping onto rocks. He's probably not.
You are right. There is no rock crawling in Belize. 65% of the country is national park anyway, and the only way to traverse them is on pre-set trails that are very benign. The terrain in the country, once away from the beach, is rolling fields and rain-forest, but very, very few rocks and steep inclines.

I thought that the idea was to keep as much weight off the front end. I will have an MC 2.5 lift with drop brackets and a winch. I realize that the brackets will compensate for most of the brake diving but I would think that, if I am not crawling, that there really isn't too much potential damage from which to protect in the first place, and that the lighter the front, the less dive when braking.

This is my first Jeep, and I have learned a ton on this great forum. I appreciate all views; I'm honestly confused about which way to go on this particular issue. I have decided, for sure, to go with an aluminum rear bumper/tire carrier.
__________________
I am currently unsupervised! Yeah, it freaks me out too, but then I consider the possibilities!
NastyPirate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,906
check out the Aries front and rear aluminum bumpers. I love them (but out of my price range) and they're both full-width.
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
My vote would be GenRight all the way... They even have a new line of Carbon Fiber bumpers we could help you with as well! They wont rust either! LOL...

-Jason
One more vote for Genright. They make most of their bumpers in aluminum and steel with the same look.
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyPirate View Post
You are right. There is no rock crawling in Belize. 65% of the country is national park anyway, and the only way to traverse them is on pre-set trails that are very benign. The terrain in the country, once away from the beach, is rolling fields and rain-forest, but very, very few rocks and steep inclines.

I thought that the idea was to keep as much weight off the front end. I will have an MC 2.5 lift with drop brackets and a winch. I realize that the brackets will compensate for most of the brake diving but I would think that, if I am not crawling, that there really isn't too much potential damage from which to protect in the first place, and that the lighter the front, the less dive when braking.

This is my first Jeep, and I have learned a ton on this great forum. I appreciate all views; I'm honestly confused about which way to go on this particular issue. I have decided, for sure, to go with an aluminum rear bumper/tire carrier.
My driving is South America led me to conclude that South America doesn't have the best drivers in the world. For that reason, I'd like to protect my investment (the jeep) with a big, fat, steaming pile of steel in the front. Im all for saving weight where you can (aluminum skids, rear bumper, etc) but for the front bumper? Weight is warranted.

BTW, NYC drivers aren't too much better than S.A. drivers.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
My vote would be GenRight all the way... They even have a new line of Carbon Fiber bumpers we could help you with as well! They wont rust either! LOL...

-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
One more vote for Genright. They make most of their bumpers in aluminum and steel with the same look.


Thanks Jason and "king". The GR aluminum fenders are the same width as the stock fenders but opens up the pockets more by not having the "thickness" of the OEM fenders, and the aluminum will take trail abuse....personally have used them as a leverage point on some tight turns offroading. Here are some pictures of ours on my JK:






Jason, Krawl Off-Road, is also a GenRight dealer.



.
GenRightTom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
NastyPirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA & Placencia Peninsula, Belize
Posts: 171
Thanks, GenRight! Speaking with Jason now regarding your bumpers and rails.

What are the lift heights and wheel/tire sizes on the side-by-side Jeeps in the last pic?
__________________
I am currently unsupervised! Yeah, it freaks me out too, but then I consider the possibilities!
NastyPirate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #17
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyPirate View Post
Thanks, GenRight! Speaking with Jason now regarding your bumpers and rails.

What are the lift heights and wheel/tire sizes on the side-by-side Jeeps in the last pic?

The white TJ, 'The Wild Bunch', is running a 3" pro comp short arm lift with 33s (Don't know his wheel size). The JK, 'Addiction', has 35s with 17" wheels and sitting on the RK 3.5" X-Factor Mid-Arm suspension system with Bilstein 5100 shocks.

GenRightTom is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC