Anyone with 2012 JK, lift & 35" tires? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
Cfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South jersey
Posts: 23
Images: 1
I have a 2012 rubicon 3inch teraflex with fox shocks and 35s never changed gears and have lots of power still. I might get 37s next

Cfry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #62
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
2012, 410's, 37's, automatic, no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz View Post
Pluke: couldn't find a rock to climb? . Found a bumper sticker for that very moment " Buckle Up. I want to try something."
Thanks all. As JKUs I think you all have 3.73 gears stock. Hopefully with a lighter vehicle and no hard top I'll be good even with 3.21. Still might trade my Toyos for much lighter KM2s.
The lift has arrived- we'll know in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

This looks more like a hold my beer and watch this moment!!

DOZICON is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,739
Images: 21
Funny if you read the quote under the photo. Before the lift & tire install. (KM2s by the way).
"Hopefully I'll be good with 3.21s"s....
Um....no.
I have a 2012 rubicon 3inch teraflex with fox shocks and 35s never changed gears and have lots of power still. I might get 37s next
Cfry- do you have 4.10s or 3.73s?
JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #64
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOZICON

This looks more like a hold my beer and watch this moment!!
Looks like he needs some work on his jeeps articulation, maybe more droop in the rear!
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,739
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
I have a 12 Rubicon auto with 4.10 gearing factory, 4" lift and 35x12.50x15 Goodyear MTRs, and have no plans to gear it unless I go to 37"s. the 3.6 power buries the issues the 3.8s had with gearing. It's great on the freeway. We just geared a 12 for a customer that is running the same setup as my wife's 12 above, with the exception of his 3.73 gears. We went with 4.88s, and its about 2400 rpm at 70.
So confused. The chart says you'd be 300-400 RPMs higher than that. Were you sampling the egg nog a little early maybe? Or is it possible that some random chart someone found on the internet (and was then re-posted) could be wrong? Everything on the internet is right, right?
JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #66
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz

So confused. The chart says you'd be 300-400 RPMs higher than that. Were you sampling the egg nog a little early maybe? Or is it possible that some random chart someone found on the internet (and was then re-posted) could be wrong? Everything on the internet is right, right?
Sorry about that Jen, what I left out is this customer is going to 37s next, so we installed 4.88s so the tach will read about 2400. Otherwise, I would have put in 4.56s
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 01:40 AM   #67
Jeeper
 
Cfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South jersey
Posts: 23
Images: 1
According to my build chart I have 373s. I have an auto. Im pretty sure only the manual has 410s unless you order 373s
Cfry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
Cfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South jersey
Posts: 23
Images: 1
To add also my,rubi has triptronic so if I nees a lower gear I can change it. Seems suitable for east coast offroad, and beach. Wouldnt think it would work good for crawling though
Cfry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #69
Jeeper
 
Cfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South jersey
Posts: 23
Images: 1
Sorry for the 3rd post. Nevermind I have 4.10s. I asked my buddy that installed my new lift.
Cfry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #70
Jeeper
 
Cfry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South jersey
Posts: 23
Images: 1
Haha well guess that explains that I wouldnt know Much about crawling. I am 2 seconds away from the beach. Dont listen to me on that subject
Cfry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,739
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Sorry about that Jen, what I left out is this customer is going to 37s next, so we installed 4.88s so the tach will read about 2400. Otherwise, I would have put in 4.56s
Ah...that makes sense. Happy to hear that since Santa just brought me 4.56s. Santa rocks. Now the piggy bank needs to recover so I can get a rear locker. A wise man once said all I need is rear lockers so that'll do. For now.
JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #72
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz View Post
SO how are the 4.88s? Specifically 70 and around 40mph? Very interested. I am leaning towards 4.56s. I am concerned that freeway would be 2700 RPMS or above and that seems a little high for me. But I'll do just about anything to fix the 40MPH lug. I drive 80% city.
You're in LA right? If we're ever on a trail together I'd love to compare notes.
Jen, we already met twice. Once on 2N17X run when buck flipped and once on Cleghorn run not long ago. I have the white JK Unlimited with a roof rack.
When I was still running the 3.21 it needed more power to keep it going and crawling and especially going uphills on freeways. The 4.88 works great in all conditions. Performance a lot better. Do not have to be heavy on the gas for pick-up or going over rocks. My RPM is within the range that the charts say for the 4.88 with 35" tires.
Here is a link for gear ratio calculator that you can use to find out the info you need for different gears, tire sizes, TC gear, etc.
Gear Ratio Calculator

I have done a comparison run for the Rubicon and Non-Rubicon (Sport) see attached file.

I hope this helps and hope to see you again soon on the trails.

Joe.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gears ratio comparison_488Sport-410Rubicon.pdf (903.9 KB, 117 views)
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #73
Jeeper
 
COStrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig888
I have a 2012 JKU with 35" tires and automatic transmission. I have the 3.73 gears and I am very happy with it. Here is a link to the picture of my Jeep (sorry, having difficulty posting the picture directly in the thread). http://i.imgur.com/bgszQ.jpg
Sweet rig
__________________
We do not take risks to escape life, but to keep life from escaping us.-Unknown
COStrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #74
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,739
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Jen, we already met twice. Once on 2N17X run when buck flipped and once on Cleghorn run not long ago. I have the white JK Unlimited with a roof rack.
When I was still running the 3.21 it needed more power to keep it going and crawling and especially going uphills on freeways. The 4.88 works great in all conditions. Performance a lot better. Do not have to be heavy on the gas for pick-up or going over rocks. My RPM is within the range that the charts say for the 4.88 with 35" tires.
Here is a link for gear ratio calculator that you can use to find out the info you need for different gears, tire sizes, TC gear, etc.
Gear Ratio Calculator

I have done a comparison run for the Rubicon and Non-Rubicon (Sport) see attached file.

I hope this helps and hope to see you again soon on the trails.

Joe.
HI Joe!
I figured we'd met- your Jeep looked familiar but I couldn't place the forum ID. For all future runs I am bringing custom name tags:
"Hi! My name is...
My forum name is..."

Thanks for the gear calculator. I hadn't seen that. I'll have to tinker.
Good to know you are okay with 4.88s. I just need to get on the freeway and try putting it in 4th at 70. That should jack up my RPMs and give me an idea if the higher RPMs will bother me. Unfortunately my Jeep is currently under construction so it will have to wait.
Thanks all!
JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz View Post
HI Joe!
I figured we'd met- your Jeep looked familiar but I couldn't place the forum ID. For all future runs I am bringing custom name tags:
"Hi! My name is...
My forum name is..."

Thanks for the gear calculator. I hadn't seen that. I'll have to tinker.
Good to know you are okay with 4.88s. I just need to get on the freeway and try putting it in 4th at 70. That should jack up my RPMs and give me an idea if the higher RPMs will bother me. Unfortunately my Jeep is currently under construction so it will have to wait.
Thanks all!
That's a great idea Jen.
You will definitely notice a difference between the gears. The car will run smoother at the higher numerical gear. There is however as expected a loss of mpg.
Please note when using the calculator the difference between the TC gears for the Rubicon and the sport models.

Good luck with yours and enjoy it.

See you on the next run.

Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #76
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,739
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
That's a great idea Jen.
You will definitely notice a difference between the gears. The car will run smoother at the higher numerical gear. There is however as expected a loss of mpg.
Please note when using the calculator the difference between the TC gears for the Rubicon and the sport models.

Good luck with yours and enjoy it.

See you on the next run.

Joe.
More MPG loss? I'll have to order Jerry cans so I can make the 2 mile drive to work.
JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #77
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz View Post
More MPG loss? I'll have to order Jerry cans so I can make the 2 mile drive to work.
lol
The MPG loss did not bother me much considering that it is my daily drive and it is only 4 miles each way.
Most of the mileage I put on is due to the long drives (about 2 hrs each way) to go on trail runs. I live in West LA and it is quite a distance whether I go to BB or up north near Mojave, but it is worth it.
Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #78
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,739
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
lol
The MPG loss did not bother me much considering that it is my daily drive and it is only 4 miles each way.
Most of the mileage I put on is due to the long drives (about 2 hrs each way) to go on trail runs. I live in West LA and it is quite a distance whether I go to BB or up north near Mojave, but it is worth it.
Joe.
Agreed. It is a Jeep after all. I just keep hitting the "step" button so I don't have to see the MPG. Everynow and then I drive the freeway and I get all optimistic and check.
(Step! Step!)
Ignorance is bliss.

JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC