Are JKs waterproof? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Hunt5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 71
Are JKs waterproof?

Was wondering if it would damage anything in the car if it was coughs in the rain with no roof or doors.

Hunt5 is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,119
Some of the electronics in the dash don't like water (as expected), and they may act strange after getting soaked; but, the rest of the interior is pretty much water-proof after you pull all the drain-plugs.

The cloth seats and carpets may also get moldy if you don't completely air/sun dry them after getting rained on.

Each of my jeeps has been rained on many times without any lasting issues...

paleh0rse is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,424
other than the drain plugs and removable carpet, it's not really much different than any other vehicle.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
David M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The Ozark Mountains
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt5 View Post
Are JKs waterproof?
I would say water-resistant to a limited extent, but definitely not waterproof.
__________________
David M is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
other than the drain plugs and removable carpet, it's not really much different than any other vehicle.
I'd argue that the cloth seats and carpets are much easier to dry given the drain plugs and the ability to dry the entire interior in the sun with the top off. No other car really has that ability...
paleh0rse is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 2,166
The main thing to keep in mind is that nothing electronic is any different than any other vehicle. You would think they would use marine grade connectors but they don't. Basically don't get the dash wet. I've hosed out my Jeep before after removing the drain plugs and carpet and its fine. The ebrake handle and all the metal brackets on under the seats came pre-rusted when I bought it, but its just surface rust it doesn't bother me and you can't see it unless you look for it.
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
I'd argue that the cloth seats and carpets are much easier to dry given the drain plugs and the ability to dry the entire interior in the sun with the top off. No other car really has that ability...
well, yeah. but the point is that beyond the fact that you can drain the water and remove the carpet, the JK is no different than any other convertible (or car if you decide to cut off the roof).
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post

well, yeah. but the point is that beyond the fact that you can drain the water and remove the carpet, the JK is no different than any other convertible (or car if you decide to cut off the roof).
LOL, alright, fair enough...
paleh0rse is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Osage Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lewistown IL
Posts: 591
Best bet is to have a firm grasp of the weather forecast and don't get too far from home without your lid on. I always keep my freedom top panels onboard for unexpected rain surprises.
__________________

2012 Wrangler Sport 2 Door
3.6L, 6 Spd Manual, 3.73 gears, ACE Rock Rails, Maximus-3 Bumper Bar, KC HiLiTES 124 SlimLites, AEV 2" spacer lift, Duratrac 285/70R17s, 17x9 XD Addicts, AEV ProCal, 35% window tint, AntennaX.
Osage Orange is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 13,200
I believe the clock spring in the steering column is also a place you do NOT want to get wet. Heard horror stories about that happening to some people.

If I've got this wrong, someone please feel free to correct me!
__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - TeraFlex Monster Trackbar/Adjustable LCAs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper - Crown Stainless Brake Lines - MORE Dead Pedal - Pioneer 4000NEX - Polk DB651/6501
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
ltwgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 33
I don't sweat the weather much, since I prefer to leave the soft top in tact and just ride without doors or soft windows. However...this one time, at band camp...I left my JKU doorless at the office overnight and some of that sideways rain came by on the one day I didn't check radars. Came back the next day to find 2 inches of angel tears waiting patiently in my floorboard. On the one hand, I was ashamed. On the other hand, I was impressed that it didn't leak before I pulled a few plugs.

***Dry out the carpet quickly, or it will come alive and eat you.
__________________
"It'll buff out"

Missing my Jeep (aka The Short Bus) every day!
ltwgs is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
G54
Another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 18,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt5 View Post
Was wondering if it would damage anything in the car if it was coughs in the rain with no roof or doors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
I believe the clock spring in the steering column is also a place you do NOT want to get wet. Heard horror stories about that happening to some people.

If I've got this wrong, someone please feel free to correct me!
Please refer to my signature link for info on clockspring protection
G54 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
Please refer to my signature link for info on clockspring protection
That is a pretty cool idea and nice looking cover! How about a size that would fit the entire dash? Or not practical?

Here in Arizona while we can get some torrential monsoon downpours - we aren't exactly known for being rainy (aka we are called "Valley of the Sun" for good reason - we have like the most sunny days in the country). BUT after a good dust storm the place can look like a 3rd world country. (Google "Haboob" - that is the name of the dust storms, it basically RAINS DIRT.) We aren't talking a light dusting - a full out volcanic ash type covering occasionally lol! And I suspect tons of little particles of sand blowing at about 50+ mph won't do a lot of good for an interior even if it isn't raining water.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 5.13 Auto: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Poison Spyder HD Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Rough Country Front & Rear Diff Sliders, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series Wheels, Synergy Weld On Rear Trackbar Bracket, PSC Hydroassist, T6 Aluminum Tie Rod, G2 Gold Chromoly Axle Shaft, 1310 driveshafts.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
I monstalined my jk. No carpet. Hose it out when it gets nasty.

The seat bolts and crap are rusted now. But meh.

As long as the main part of the top is up it really doesnt mess with the dash. I dont even put the doors back on half the time. Or ill put my halfdoors on without uppers..

The worst part is honestly the carpet. It can get really nasty. And the mud and crap in it. Ugh.
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
G54
Another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 18,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymallcrawler View Post

That is a pretty cool idea and nice looking cover! How about a size that would fit the entire dash? Or not practical?

Here in Arizona while we can get some torrential monsoon downpours - we aren't exactly known for being rainy (aka we are called "Valley of the Sun" for good reason - we have like the most sunny days in the country). BUT after a good dust storm the place can look like a 3rd world country. (Google "Haboob" - that is the name of the dust storms, it basically RAINS DIRT.) We aren't talking a light dusting - a full out volcanic ash type covering occasionally lol! And I suspect tons of little particles of sand blowing at about 50+ mph won't do a lot of good for an interior even if it isn't raining water.
Thanks! I played around with that idea, but it would have cost way more than I think anyone would pay. Material is ridiculous. The vinyl I use is $10/yard. I am working on something to cover the radio though.
G54 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #16
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
Thanks! I played around with that idea, but it would have cost way more than I think anyone would pay. Material is ridiculous. The vinyl I use is $10/yard. I am working on something to cover the radio though.
Thanks anyhow! Good quality materials do cost more-good to hear you are about quality!
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 5.13 Auto: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Poison Spyder HD Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Rough Country Front & Rear Diff Sliders, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series Wheels, Synergy Weld On Rear Trackbar Bracket, PSC Hydroassist, T6 Aluminum Tie Rod, G2 Gold Chromoly Axle Shaft, 1310 driveshafts.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #17
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwgs View Post
***Dry out the carpet quickly, or it will come alive and eat you.
Better yet just take it out and leave it out.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
I ordered that column cover.....looks nice.
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #19
G54
Another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 18,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
I ordered that column cover.....looks nice.
Appreciate it Adam!
G54 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
Id buy a condom!
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #21
G54
Another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 18,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget1969 View Post
I also have been making a product in my garage for Jeepers that run topless, but want to protect dashboard electronics.
Great looking product. I was playing with the same idea but using the same vinyl I use for the column covers and a grommet at each corner with small bungees. Im going to make one for myself at least.
G54 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 527
Followed the link, didn't see a party pack...are there any Forum Specials?

Something much simpler for the clock spring so you can still drive the Jeep at the same time as protecting it would be nice

What happened to the "Dashboard Condom" Post?
I followed the link, now I can't find the post?
macaw1us is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #23
G54
Another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 18,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaw1us View Post
Followed the link, didn't see a party pack...are there any Forum Specials?

Something much simpler for the clock spring so you can still drive the Jeep at the same time as protecting it would be nice

What happened to the "Dashboard Condom" Post?
I followed the link, now I can't find the post?
I suspect it was deleted for not following the forum rules for commercial sales.
G54 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
The P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, Fl (By Jan/2014)
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
I believe the clock spring in the steering column is also a place you do NOT want to get wet. Heard horror stories about that happening to some people.

If I've got this wrong, someone please feel free to correct me!
+100

I bought a new Sahara last year and got hit with unexpected rainfall for about 20 mins with the top/doors off. My horn, radio and turnsignal (along with other things) were shot, making it undriveable. The dealer told me it was my clockspring. Luckily they didn't ask any questions, so it was covered by my warranty. I'm moving to Tampa soon and expect tons of rain, so I plan on waterproofing my ride by replacing the carpet with bedliner, buying a cover for my clockspring and putting a towel in the storage compartment. If I didn't have leather seats, I would buy waterproof or water resistant seat covers. I may be missing something, but I think that will cover me in the very likely event I get rained on again.
The P is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
michiganadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 2,367
There are no waterproof seat covers on the market...
__________________
Everytime i have ever posted, its always bull that comes out of me
michiganadam is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
G54
Another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 18,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
There are no waterproof seat covers on the market...
I thought the Trek Armor were waterproof
G54 is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Tweak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 3,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
There are no waterproof seat covers on the market...
my seats are waterproof enough. I wash them with a pressure washer and a day later my butt is dry. 2013 seats to be specific
Tweak is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #28
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Supporting Member
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganadam View Post
Id buy a condom!
Without the context of the previous post that was deleted this being read on its own on a Jeep forum is just....
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 5.13 Auto: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Poison Spyder HD Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Rough Country Front & Rear Diff Sliders, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series Wheels, Synergy Weld On Rear Trackbar Bracket, PSC Hydroassist, T6 Aluminum Tie Rod, G2 Gold Chromoly Axle Shaft, 1310 driveshafts.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Waxhaw, NC
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by The P View Post
+100

I bought a new Sahara last year and got hit with unexpected rainfall for about 20 mins with the top/doors off. My horn, radio and turnsignal (along with other things) were shot, making it undriveable. The dealer told me it was my clockspring. Luckily they didn't ask any questions, so it was covered by my warranty. I'm moving to Tampa soon and expect tons of rain, so I plan on waterproofing my ride by replacing the carpet with bedliner, buying a cover for my clockspring and putting a towel in the storage compartment. If I didn't have leather seats, I would buy waterproof or water resistant seat covers. I may be missing something, but I think that will cover me in the very likely event I get rained on again.
You must have a good dealer, mine got rained on and the radio stopped working. It was 2 mo's old, they dealer told me tough luck. The radio started working again after a day and havent had any problems since. After my warranty is up the dealer will never see another penny of my money, the service department is terrible. Okay off my soap box now.
wvujaw is offline   Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #30
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
chucky cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: We eat stuff outa ditches!
Posts: 4,716
What! Chadwick got himself a JK?

__________________
It ain't easy being cheesy:

Sometimes I make decisions like famous people.
George Armstrong Custer "lets go over that hill, I think those are friendly indians!"

Titanic's Captain Smith "What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
chucky cheese is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC