Auto and Manual - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Auto and Manual

Hello everyone, just purchased my first wrangler. 2014 sport s in copperhead pearl. woohoo!

Well my question is for the auto drivers out there...do you regret not getting a stick? I may feel as if I should of gotten one..

Brian35 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ArmyofMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central CA
Posts: 432
My 2012 has the slap shift thingy that does the gear selection with the gear selector....bout all the "manual" I need! Plus, as a DD, having a stick sux.

Only real benefit I see to manual, is most hood rats don't know how to drive them, so it's a security feature!

__________________
~Illegitimi non carborundum~
I used to think it was about what you drove through life, now I know it's more about what you drive over in life with a Jeep!
ArmyofMike is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,424
It was really hard choosing between an auto and a manual. Actually it was easy because I was born and raised on the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

I begged and pleaded with her day after day
But she packed my suit case and sent me on my way
She gave me a kiss and then she gave me my ticket.
I put my Walkman on and said, 'I might as well kick it'.

First class, yo this is bad
Drinking orange juice out of a champagne glass.
Is this what the people of Bel-Air living like?
Hmmmmm this might be alright.

But wait I hear they're prissy, bourgeois, all that
Is this the type of place that they just send this cool cat?
I don't think so
I'll see when I get there
I hope they're prepared for the prince of Bel-Air

Well, the plane landed and when I came out
There was a dude who looked like a cop standing there with my name out
I ain't trying to get arrested yet
I just got here
I sprang with the quickness like lightning, disappeared

I whistled for a cab and when it came near
The license plate said fresh and it had dice in the mirror
If anything I could say that this cab was rare
But I thought 'Nah, forget it' - 'Yo, homes to Bel Air'

I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8
And I yelled to the cabbie 'Yo homes smell ya later'
I looked at my kingdom
I was finally there
To sit on my throne as the Prince of Bel Air
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
mrkeefer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 164
^^^^^nice. a lil will smith and DJ Jzzzy Jeff
mrkeefer is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Freedom JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,286
I bought a 2013 JKU with an automatic transmission and I love it. I would never get a standard in a Jeep, I don't see the point of it. Now on sports cars, I love a stick.
Freedom JK is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: IN
Posts: 225
My DD has been a stick for 35 years. I got an auto in my jeep, no regrets at all.
__________________
JKURX in Copperhead | 4:10, Auto, Remote Start, Auto Temp, Duel Top, 430N
AmIgone is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gbobva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Louisville, Colorado
Posts: 305
Got a manual in my '12 JKUR. I have driven an auto off-road and would have no issue owning one. If I had a way back machine, I would go auto. Happy with the manual, so not going to change, but just say'n.
Gbobva is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,489
After you drive it for long enough, it goes from "driving a stick" to simply "driving."

Driving your manual will feel normal and an auto will be an alien.


My h2 the first automatic I ever owned, and I abhored it. (Not the truck, the transmission.)

I was so relieved to finally get back in a manual. I'll never own another automatic. Ever. Not that there is anything wrong with an auto, or those that prefer them. It's just not for me. I enjoy being able to decide what gear to be in. If I want to save gas and putt up the hill in 6th. I can. You don't have that option in an automatic. Plus It's cheaper and easier to do your own work on a manual. You can replace the entire transmission for less than 1k dollars.

When I went after my jeep. I went for complete simplicity. Stick shift, manual locks, crank windows, manual seats, cloth, etc. I wanted something I could work on when the warranty went out, and something with less stuff to break.

So I guess what it comes down to is, what do YOU want?
Bent jeep is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks for the responses! anyone ever trade in a new vehicle they've had for a month? haha crazy I know but curious
Brian35 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
yeah,,,, im that good

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 10,712
Nope....not one single bit of regret.

But like everything about Jeeps. It all depends on where you live, and how you will use the vehicle.

My car (and motorycle obviously) are manuals....so I can get my fix that way. Actually, that is exactly what I did yesterday when I had the day off. Last time I took the bike out for a nice cruise. This time I took the car out. It is fun to row through the gears. But...for the longest time that car was my only vehicle (then just the car and the bike)....and sometimes I got tired of shifting......especially in Chicago traffic.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is online now   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
rdg04578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: northern maine
Posts: 672
Not for a second--I spend way more time on dirt and logging roads then on asphalt. The auto cannot be beat for crawling through the woods.
rdg04578 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
DaK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,494
Went looking for a manual based on past wheeling experiences with my dad back in the day. Ended up with an auto and absolutely no regrets. Just have to concentrate on the trail not gear, clutch, brake.
DaK is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry!
Posts: 5,496
Auto........
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Pentastar 3.6 Engine, View, with Info!
Shaking at 40-60 MPH, Read this!!!
This Attenuator, will improve your steering!
The Bear is not concerned with the needs of the Hunter!!!
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:33 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
KG6SLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 97
Auto vs Manual

I specifically ordered mine with a 6 speed. I once had a cooling line go south and a short distance later is where the vehicle refused to move....but not before accumulating a fairly sizable repair list.

I insist on a manual for other reasons as well. For example, It is 35 miles one way from home to work most of which is through a canyon. I put my Jeep in "hybrid" mode (ie in neutral and with ignition OFF) and routinely coast over 100 miles per week just going to and from work. You CAN'T do that in an automatic. I save not only fuel but also miles on my odometer as miles do not accumulate when the key is off. But, that is OK because wear items with the key off are brakes and tires (and some drive train). I've done this for years. I use the rhythm of the road for when to coast and when to have power. I've done this for so long that one would be pressed to tell I was coasting and I have a guideline that I not significantly impede traffic. You need power steering when going slow for things such as parking. You really do not need it at highway speeds. The power brakes have enough "reserve" for a number of stops. More stops than I need between power cycles.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
KG6SLC is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6SLC View Post
I specifically ordered mine with a 6 speed. I once had a cooling line go south and a short distance later is where the vehicle refused to move....but not before accumulating a fairly sizable repair list.

I insist on a manual for other reasons as well. For example, It is 35 miles one way from home to work most of which is through a canyon. I put my Jeep in "hybrid" mode (ie in neutral and with ignition OFF) and routinely coast over 100 miles per week just going to and from work. You CAN'T do that in an automatic. I save not only fuel but also miles on my odometer as miles do not accumulate when the key is off. But, that is OK because wear items with the key off are brakes and tires (and some drive train). I've done this for years. I use the rhythm of the road for when to coast and when to have power. I've done this for so long that one would be pressed to tell I was coasting and I have a guideline that I not significantly impede traffic. You need power steering when going slow for things such as parking. You really do not need it at highway speeds. The power brakes have enough "reserve" for a number of stops. More stops than I need between power cycles.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
That is really dangerous. I have other words than hybrid for that mode....

When you let off the gas in gear, with the ignition on, the engine uses 0 fuel. Zero. Yet, you still get all the lovely things, like power steering, brakes, stability control, ABS, and A/C.

You are a danger to yourself and to others on the road. You're also probably using more fuel starting and stopping your engine than if you just left it on, in gear, and didn't touch the go pedal.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Slowstang305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 867
Send a message via AIM to Slowstang305
My Jeep is an automatic and I do not regret it one second. I hit traffic quite a bit and always hated driving a manual in that situation. Plus it is no speed demon, I like to let the car handle the shifting. There is no excitement going from 1st to 2nd for me in a Jeep, a sports car is a different story.
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Current Toy: 2015 Wrangler JKU (Current Project)
Previous Toy:2009 Wrangler JKU (Heavily Modded)
Slowstang305 is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
c_caz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MN
Posts: 74
Always owned manuals in my vehicles all the way up to my previous Jeep. Really happy to be back in a manual on this one. I honestly don't think about it being a manual most days (as above you just drive). Yes it's a DD. Yes it can be "more" effort for some.

Mostly I prefer the control over what happens. Modern auto's that upshift way early can really be a bummer.
__________________
2014 JKUS Granite Clearcoat
6 speed
3.73
GC Hardtop
c_caz is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
2013 Moab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sullivan Cnty, NY
Posts: 1,443
I bought both, stick for me as DD and auto for wife as her DD and our vacation machine. I prefer stick much more than auto, I believe I get a better response and feel of the road, also I am able to control it better in the mountain roads where we live. I drive over 200 miles per day so I do a lot of shifting, not an issue for me and my legs are turning 50 soon.
edit to add, auto is just vanilla to me.
2013 Moab is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Boothill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Golden, Colorado
Posts: 106
Started with a manual in my 07 JKR, sold it and bought a 2013 JKR with an automatic.

Pros for the manual; more control on snow and ice, better gas mileage, higher degree of mechanical reliability.

Pros for the auto; Stop and go traffic and I find that I have better control on the trails, which I thought would never be the case, the down hill assist works great.

I did not want a Jeep with automatic transmission. I had no choice, the Jeep I purchased was 1 of 2 10A's left in the state both of which were automatic trans.

I'm getting up in my years, sore knees and just about everything else that comes along with old age. Now that I have driven the only vehicle I have ever owned with auto trans I doubt I'll ever own another with manual....unless that is, if it's a vehicle with over 350 H.P.
Boothill is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Makaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,010
When I was in San Diego I traded for my first automatic. Stuck on the 5 and the 8 every day inching along with a manual was the first (and so far, the only) time I thought to get an auto. As soon as I moved out of traffic I went back to a manual, even in LA traffic (the 405 parking lot for example) the urge to get another auto didn't come up. Cars, Jeeps, trucks, bikes - manual shift. It is a natural part of driving to me. Not sure it would be worth the financial hit to switch for you, but for me it sure would be.
Makaha is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toledo
Posts: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian35 View Post
Hello everyone, just purchased my first wrangler. 2014 sport s in copperhead pearl. woohoo!

Well my question is for the auto drivers out there...do you regret not getting a stick? I may feel as if I should of gotten one..
Congratulations on the new Wrangler. I have a 13' sport s with 23,000. It's been great.

Did you test drive a 6 speed ? Have you had many manuals ? The 6 speed has some idiosyncrasies. It takes a little time to learn how to shift it well. I changed fluid to Amsoil syncomesh and always double clutch 2nd. If I don't 2nd can hang up a little. Double clutching 2nd is automatic for me now. I don't even know I'm doing it most of the time.

I hear the auto's are bulletproof. It seems to be the better of the two transmissions from what I've read but honestly I wouldn't trade mine.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxzy is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,911
Ironically the JK I bought a few years ago was a 2010 that had only 9100 miles on it. IT WAS PRISTINE! It was owned for 2 years by an elderly couple and the wife couldn't deal with the 6 speed stick. They traded it in for an automatic. Their loss was definitely my gain. I would only buy an auto if I was going to be driving in constant stop and go traffic. I much prefer a manual because I feel I have better control over it, especially in the winter with the ability to downshift.
__________________
2010 Flame Red JK Sport 6 spd/RK 1.5" Springs/Rancho 9000XL's/JKS Adjustable Rear Sway Bar Links/Rancho Control Arm Drop Brackets/Teraflex Rear Track Bar Bracket/Goodyear Duratrac's 33X12.50 -19 Offset/Level 8 Trackers 15X8/SC Flashpaq/aFe Exhaust & CAI/Or-Fab Front and Rear Bumpers/Trucklite Headlights/SEOUL LED Fogs/Synergy Grab Bars/Mopar Sill Guards/Husky Mats/AntennaX 13"/Daystar Hood Latches/E-Autogrille Grill Insert/Rugged Ridge Locking Fuel Door/Hard Top/Supertop NX/DD Sun Screen
Dr. Evil is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Chomperz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 38
I've been driving manual for the last 25 years. My current commuter car, a little Honda Civic is also manual. When started test driving Jeeps, I test drove manuals thinking it was a far gone conclusion that I'd get one. At the end of the day, I bought a Jeep with automatic and couldn't be happier.
Chomperz is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
KG6SLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 97
dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
That is really dangerous. I have other words than hybrid for that mode....
Funny how things WE personally don't do are dangerous. Guns are "dangerous" Flying is "dangerous", riding a motorcycle is "dangerous". Even (GASP!) riding in a Jeep on uneven roads is "dangerous". To each of the above activities there is a skill level that participants posess. Just because YOU don't posess that same skill level does not make it dangerous for others to do so. I would never skydive. I DON'T POSESS THAT SKILL and for me, and those in my path, it would in fact be dangerous! I also have another word for skydiving...and it would not be "fun".

KG6SLC aka Eugene
KG6SLC is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
killerblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent jeep View Post
After you drive it for long enough, it goes from "driving a stick" to simply "driving."

Driving your manual will feel normal and an auto will be an alien.


My h2 the first automatic I ever owned, and I abhored it. (Not the truck, the transmission.)

I was so relieved to finally get back in a manual. I'll never own another automatic. Ever. Not that there is anything wrong with an auto, or those that prefer them. It's just not for me. I enjoy being able to decide what gear to be in. If I want to save gas and putt up the hill in 6th. I can. You don't have that option in an automatic. Plus It's cheaper and easier to do your own work on a manual. You can replace the entire transmission for less than 1k dollars.

When I went after my jeep. I went for complete simplicity. Stick shift, manual locks, crank windows, manual seats, cloth, etc. I wanted something I could work on when the warranty went out, and something with less stuff to break.

So I guess what it comes down to is, what do YOU want?
Yep, this is me. And I love it. I did get A/C and a hard top.
killerblues is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6SLC View Post
Funny how things WE personally don't do are dangerous. Guns are "dangerous" Flying is "dangerous", riding a motorcycle is "dangerous". Even (GASP!) riding in a Jeep on uneven roads is "dangerous". To each of the above activities there is a skill level that participants posess. Just because YOU don't posess that same skill level does not make it dangerous for others to do so. I would never skydive. I DON'T POSESS THAT SKILL and for me, and those in my path, it would in fact be dangerous! I also have another word for skydiving...and it would not be "fun".

KG6SLC aka Eugene
There's a difference between high risk activities and ignorance.

Well, I hope you at least realize airbags don't deploy with the ignition off. Good luck and I hope nothing happens to you or any innocent parties in the pursuit of saving gas without understanding that the fuel injectors are closed when you coast in gear.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #27
הפטיש העברי

WF Supporting Member
 
H3br3wHamm3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian35 View Post
Hello everyone, just purchased my first wrangler. 2014 sport s in copperhead pearl. woohoo!

Well my question is for the auto drivers out there...do you regret not getting a stick? I may feel as if I should of gotten one..
Heck no. Only reason I had a manual before was because I had a "sports" sedan. The Jeep isn't one. Frankly, I don't see the need to ever own a manual again. Automatics are far superior these days --- and most (if not all) modern automatic transmissions can shift faster than the driver. Now, there is gearing differences between auto and manual; that's about the only legitimate reason I can think of someone wanting to have manual rather than auto these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian35 View Post
Thanks for the responses! anyone ever trade in a new vehicle they've had for a month? haha crazy I know but curious
Pretty close. Two months and I'm looking to trade in 2 door for 4 door --- not manual for auto though. 2 door is auto.
H3br3wHamm3r is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #28
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
Quote:
When you let off the gas in gear, with the ignition on, the engine uses 0 fuel. Zero.
not really though. if the ignition is on, the engine is using fuel.
TroutDaddy is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDaddy View Post

not really though. if the ignition is on, the engine is using fuel.
No. Not if you are coasting in gear. Please look it up...
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 686
I'd definitely like to see a link if you have one. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine how an engine that is turned on is using zero fuel. what would it be running on?

TroutDaddy is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC