Auto or Stick - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


View Poll Results: Do you prefer stick or auto?
I prefer Auto 131 41.46%
I prefer manual 170 53.80%
I got a manual but wish I went auto 10 3.16%
I got an auto but wish I went manual 8 2.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 316. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Auto or Stick

I love manual transmissions in sports cars not so much on a truck or suv. For me it's really fun to drive a sporty car with a stick, on a truck or Jeep it seems, well not so fun. For me it's probably because of the long throw and rather clunky feel of manual transmission in trucks, Jeeps etc. I test drove a Mazda speed3 and a VW GTI and man those things were fun to drive with a stick. Yesterday I test drove a 2012 Jeep Unlimited with a stick and I wasnt loving the manual transmission. There is nothing wrong with it, it just doesnt have that sporty feel. Of course the salesman is pushing the 12's and said they have really good deal available on them. I really like this Unlimited but I worried down the road I'm going to regret not going for an auto. For a really good deal I can probably deal with the stick but I'm on the fence about it. So my question is how many of you guys like auto vs stick or stick vs auto or bought on or the other and then regretted your purchase.

Lucy Brown is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
MrSig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Davie, Fl
Posts: 20,031
Love my auto!

__________________
07 JKU to see my mods or Jeep in action go to http://www.aaof.us/jeep.htm
CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org,
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
MrSig is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jp2611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Wayne IN
Posts: 6,950
this is an old question/ debate and I personally don't feel there is a "right" answer. My '04 is a stick, and when I am off road, slopping through the mud and feel it bogging down, I like how quick I can pull it out of gear, jam it in reverse and dump the clutch, and back out of trouble before I get stuck. Than pick a slightly different line and hit it again. I also like when I am climbing a slick muddy hill being able to pick a gear and keep it there even when tires are spinning and in an auto it might shift to a higher gear, unless I MANUALLY pick a gear with the gear selector in the automatic. I don't know that an automatic like the one in my '12 would work as well...I understand the computers are fast but I still have to think to go from one gear to another, and the SLIGHT hesitation where the computer realizes I have changed gears and allows revs to match before actually shifting would not be as fast as a mechanical link in my '04's tranny.

My '12 is an automatic and since it is used only on the street, (mall crawler) the auto works fine and there are enough "idiot controls" that not much care needs to be given in driving it, it corrects for to fast corners or to hard accelerations. The ride is also better.

Bottom line, and this has been said many times, what are you going to use it for? Also keep in mind it is really a personal preference...but I know it is one of the reasons that at Jeep events, my '12 plays Taxi to get everyone there and my'04 is the one being driven and flogged through the mud!! I know my '04 and what it can do, I don't want to hurt/ the "Good" Jeep, (the '12) so it doesn't get the chance.....maybe I am selling it short?!!
jp2611 is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
mackdj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tropical Nova Scotia
Posts: 33,704
Automatic and loving it.
__________________
Donnie....The Friendly Canadian
mackdj1 is online now   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
50 Something's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 876
"Stick" It's a F'ing "Jeep" Nuff Said!

50 Something
__________________
"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God"

John 1:1
50 Something is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:58 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
chim-chim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeside, California
Posts: 694
Where is the option for both? I have a manual 2012 and a auto 2012. For off-road I definately prefer the 5 speed auto.
chim-chim7 is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Something
"Stick" It's a F'ing "Jeep" Nuff Said!

50 Something
X10

And
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 1,025
Since I use my '10 more as a DD, and sometimes in traffic, I much prefer auto. And the new tranny is supposed to be great.

S
__________________
"I have a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom."
thinkxingu is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
robocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Outside Bham Al.
Posts: 144
At 44 yrs old I have had many vehicles with some being sports cars and others trucks. I would guess the total thus far would be at least 12 vehicles over my lifetime. Out of all these one was an automatic and it left me stranded with transmission troubles 2 times before it was traded.

I have never had a manual leave me stranded. Yes I have had many that have that damn throw out bearing chirp and some were not as smooth as others however a manual driven correctly is simply hard to break.

I also like a manual for the fact it can be push started if the battery fails. For me they are simply more fun to drive and I feel a little more secure knowing it will most likely not fail to the point I am stranded.

Go to most any mechanic shop and ask what they repair more of. The few I have spoken with all say they replace autos much more than manuals. Now this may be simply because autos are bought much more today than manuals however again I feel better with a manual.

I have been searching for a new Jeep for this entire year and turned down some excellent deals due to an auto transmission. I now have had to order a 2013 to get what I want and even then the manuals were limited for a while. If you check some other high end makers they are not even providing a manual anymore. They have that crappy paddle shifter thing they say shifts like a manual however it is far from a true manual.

I am not sure when it changed however manuals are growing much more rare these days. Those of us who will drive nothing but a manual are also a dying breed. I honestly believe in the next 5 years we will all have no choice but to convert to autos and if so I will simply buy used to keep my manual.
robocop is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
I guess because I'm old enough, when I was in the Army ( in the 1970's ) and they still had jeeps, they were all manual, so to me a jeep with an auto trans is a jeep with training wheels. Just my opinion.
chuck60 is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
I test drove a 13 GTI with the DSG tranny. Thats an auto with a mode that mimics a manuel. You dont shift it, it shifts itself and does a really good job of mimicing a manuel. I thought it was a really cool feature. Little off topic but just thought I'd mention it.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop View Post

I am not sure when it changed however manuals are growing much more rare these days. Those of us who will drive nothing but a manual are also a dying breed. I honestly believe in the next 5 years we will all have no choice but to convert to autos and if so I will simply buy used to keep my manual.
I read last week where the percentage of vehicles manufactured with a manual is down to 7 or 17%. I can't remember the actual value they stated, but both are very low. I think the article was actually linked from someone on this forum. One of the reasons listed was 'people no longer are shown how to operate them'.

I'm about your age and most of my vehicles have had manual transmissions as well.
coloradoraider is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
TommieTuenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 20
Allow me to interpret what the manual drivers actually mean:

Autos are for ham-fisted, fat-headed, lazy twits who have their cell phones permanently attached to the sides of their silly heads while driving through the mall parking lot with the fog lights on and their never-used snorkel held high.

Oh, and they should not be allowed to breed.


We now resume your regularly scheduled programming...
__________________
2012 Rubi of the Crush persuasion.
TommieTuenz is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
BenoA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Something View Post
"Stick" It's a F'ing "Jeep" Nuff Said!
Yesterday, I test drove a 2k13 Sahara Unlimited with the 6 speed manual! I'll have to make another thread about it but just to let ya know. It had not driven a manual transmission since 1997!!! The salesman just told me (with some "more-correct-words" the above quote!

I had fun like a kid shifting the Jeep and no stall during my test drive... Except when I parked it at the end and went into reverse... Everything went fine up to the last second when I forgot it I was driving a manual and forgot about it. I stalled it right in it's place! lol.

Anyway, to those still questionning about stick or auto, don't worry!! The Wrangler is super easy to be driven with a manual! Go for it and save a few $$$ for some mods!
BenoA is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
lolpetewtf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,953
Auto for these reasons:

- I hear nothing but complaints with the 6-speed in 2012s

- Boston traffic sucks with a stick

- All traffic sucks with a stick

- It's not a sports car, therefore not as fun to shift in

- Don't have to replace a clutch ever

- The 5-speed auto in the 2012s is so friggin' smooth I love it

- Easier off road (Don't have a 4:1 TC)

I would never get a stick Jeep. But that's just my opinion =]

P.S. I have owned many manual cars
__________________
2012 Cosmos Blue JK
Galaxy DX-99v2/Sirio 5000

S Package/Auto/Dual Top
Custom Stereo/20% Tint
lolpetewtf is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Greg Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by chim-chim7 View Post
Where is the option for both? I have a manual 2012 and a auto 2012. For off-road I definately prefer the 5 speed auto.
2012 Grand Cherokee 'HERS' = Auto

2013 JK 'HIS' = manual (she can't drive hehehehehehe!)

I mean this in the best possible way, driving my manual JK reminds me of driving a small bus ... perhaps a 'short' one.

Now, if it was only a diesel, the effect would be complete.
Greg Jones is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 123
Images: 1
I just got an automatic based on how I will usually drive it... I have had both over the years and have been in the shop with my sticks more than my automatics but just see that as coincidental. I will be using my jeep as a family vehicle around the burbs so decided on an automatic so I can multitask. I have a 76 mgb stick (superfun) and BMW 5 series auto. Had I gotten a sports car I would go stick or the rubicon for weekend offroading only, I would have gone with a stick.
Titaness is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
EricM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 293
Let's just hope that Chrysler notes that the poll result here is about 50% manual (or that they have similar market research) to justify continuing to offer a manual. I had to special order just to get one. The dealer lots are filled with automatics around here.
__________________
2008 Chevy Avalanche Z-71
2012 GMC Sierra Denali HD Duramax
2013 JK Sahara 2dr
EricM is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 38,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolpetewtf
Auto for these reasons:

- I hear nothing but complaints with the 6-speed in 2012s

- Boston traffic sucks with a stick

- All traffic sucks with a stick

- It's not a sports car, therefore not as fun to shift in

- Don't have to replace a clutch ever

- The 5-speed auto in the 2012s is so friggin' smooth I love it

- Easier off road (Don't have a 4:1 TC)

I would never get a stick Jeep. But that's just my opinion =]

P.S. I have owned many manual cars
Boston sucks anyways .... Oh wait you are talking about the roads
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
GeckoJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 879
Prior to 2012, i would have chosen a manual. The new 5 speed pushed me over the edge to go auto. It is the perfect fit for the JK unlike the old 4 speed. No performance penalty anymore and it shifts just right. The only reason to pick the 6 speed now is if you are dead set on a manual or want to save the extra $1400 the auto costs.
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S - Gecko Pearl Coat
GeckoJK is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolpetewtf View Post
Auto for these reasons:

- I hear nothing but complaints with the 6-speed in 2012s

- Boston traffic sucks with a stick

- All traffic sucks with a stick

- It's not a sports car, therefore not as fun to shift in

- Don't have to replace a clutch ever

- The 5-speed auto in the 2012s is so friggin' smooth I love it

- Easier off road (Don't have a 4:1 TC)

I would never get a stick Jeep. But that's just my opinion =]

P.S. I have owned many manual cars

What kind of complaints?
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
jksport12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stroudsburg, PA
Posts: 196
I prefer manual for the control you have. I choose what gear for what terrain without worrying about it changing gears or up shifting to early then hesitating to downshift. I agree auto is nice in traffic but I prefer the manual.
jksport12 is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Super-G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Doylestown PA
Posts: 69
I've been a "stick" guy my whole life. EVERY vehicle I've ever owned has been a stick. Frankly, I feel that an automatic in a Jeep is kind of a sell out or a girls way of driving.

I hear guys talking about off roading with an automatic and I don't understand. I've off roaded before in plently of manual trans vehicles and I LOVE the control over the drivetrain that I get with a stick. I love being able to start off in different gears, downshift to control speed, use the engine powerband to control going down or up hills, ect...If you struggle to off road in a manual trans vehicle, then I suggest maybe you aren't as good of a driver as you think you are.

If you are buying your new Jeep as a daily driver and NEVER plan on going off road and really only want it as a daily ride then I guess I understand wanting an automatic but I just don't dig it.
__________________
Greg
02 4 Runner Sport Edition-daily driver
94 Wrangler 2.5, 5 speed, 31" BFG's
68 Firebird 400, 4 speed, 3:55 rear
83 Mustang GT, 5.0, 5 speed, 3:89 rear
Super-G is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Frshmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
These vehicles are WAAAY too expensive to settle for anything less than exactly what you want. You're signing for probably $32k+ and by the time you pay out interest you're in the $45k range invested.

GET WHAT YOU WANT. Get exactly what you feel will leave you the happiest long term. Personally, I went auto. I wheeled on manuals for YEARS. I went auto and have never looked back. It's 10x easier on the trails, which means I'm A LOT more confident to take on tougher trails because I'm not nervous about mis-clutching (which isn't likely after DDing manuals for over a decade).

For those saying, "It's a Jeep! It needs a manual!!" Well... the Jeep (now Italian-owned, by the way) now has cruise control and steering wheel radio controls as standard options with the availabilities of automatic temperature control, traction control, factory navigation systems, leather... you name it and it's probably available. These aren't the Jeeps of the past- they're far more comfortable, capable, and efficient than ever before. I say go auto if you want auto.

Don't let the nay-sayers talk you out of your desires and don't let the salesman sell you what you don't want. You're the one driving it every day and paying for it every month. You get what you want and you can wheel it or not wheel it as often as you want.
__________________
Mine: 2012 JKU Sport, Deep Cherry, Auto, 3.73s, Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex, chitty Procomp shocks, JKS Discos, Rubi rails, A.C.E. sliders, EVO ProTek Skids, EVO Rockstars, JCR Dagger with lights and tire carrier, PSC Brawler Lite with custom stinger and grill hoop, ENGO 10k with synthetic, 35x12.50-15 BFG KM2s, MOPAR flat flares.
Wife's: 2004 TJ Sport, 4.0/Auto, 2" BB, stock JKU shocks, JKS front LCAs, 31x10.50-15 BFG ATs.
Frshmt is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 399
I don't understand your logic. Even if you dislike the manual in a jeeo how would an auto be more fun to drive?
watson is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Frshmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-G View Post
I've been a "stick" guy my whole life. EVERY vehicle I've ever owned has been a stick. Frankly, I feel that an automatic in a Jeep is kind of a sell out or a girls way of driving.

I hear guys talking about off roading with an automatic and I don't understand. I've off roaded before in plently of manual trans vehicles and I LOVE the control over the drivetrain that I get with a stick. I love being able to start off in different gears, downshift to control speed, use the engine powerband to control going down or up hills, ect...If you struggle to off road in a manual trans vehicle, then I suggest maybe you aren't as good of a driver as you think you are.

If you are buying your new Jeep as a daily driver and NEVER plan on going off road and really only want it as a daily ride then I guess I understand wanting an automatic but I just don't dig it.
This was my exact argument for years. I wheeled a '92 Explorer Eddie Bauer on 34s for a few years. I converted it to a manual transmission after the first trail ride in the auto because it just didn't feel right.

The thing is, with the newer automatics the gearing is so much closer the control is now there in full force. With the new SelectShift or whatever the **** Jeep calls it, we can control what gear we want it in for wheel speed and engine braking.

The biggest thing is, though, autos (maybe manuals- not sure) now have hill descent control, which automatically regulates descent speed to 1-2 mph. I never use it- it freaks me out. I'll take engine braking with light hand braking over that craziness any day of the week.

I get your point that you prefer a manual and have your reasons, but the control argument is no longer really valid. Plus, there's still the clutch/brake/throttle/steer dance in the rocks. I had that whole thing figured out in my Explorer on 34s with stock gears (my clutch was NOT happy about it) but after running a new auto I'm not going back any time soon.
__________________
Mine: 2012 JKU Sport, Deep Cherry, Auto, 3.73s, Rock Krawler 3.5" Flex, chitty Procomp shocks, JKS Discos, Rubi rails, A.C.E. sliders, EVO ProTek Skids, EVO Rockstars, JCR Dagger with lights and tire carrier, PSC Brawler Lite with custom stinger and grill hoop, ENGO 10k with synthetic, 35x12.50-15 BFG KM2s, MOPAR flat flares.
Wife's: 2004 TJ Sport, 4.0/Auto, 2" BB, stock JKU shocks, JKS front LCAs, 31x10.50-15 BFG ATs.
Frshmt is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 254
I got myself a 2012 2 door with manual. I wouldnt ever go any other way.. just some random info i heard, the manual drive train is stronger then auto.
st0rmtr00per is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,072
There is a reason the dealer still has a 2012 stick on the lot.

Auto's rock!!
wassup8687 is online now   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Lucy Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frshmt View Post
These vehicles are WAAAY too expensive to settle for anything less than exactly what you want. You're signing for probably $32k+ and by the time you pay out interest you're in the $45k range invested.

GET WHAT YOU WANT. Get exactly what you feel will leave you the happiest long term. Personally, I went auto. I wheeled on manuals for YEARS. I went auto and have never looked back. It's 10x easier on the trails, which means I'm A LOT more confident to take on tougher trails because I'm not nervous about mis-clutching (which isn't likely after DDing manuals for over a decade).

For those saying, "It's a Jeep! It needs a manual!!" Well... the Jeep (now Italian-owned, by the way) now has cruise control and steering wheel radio controls as standard options with the availabilities of automatic temperature control, traction control, factory navigation systems, leather... you name it and it's probably available. These aren't the Jeeps of the past- they're far more comfortable, capable, and efficient than ever before. I say go auto if you want auto.

Don't let the nay-sayers talk you out of your desires and don't let the salesman sell you what you don't want. You're the one driving it every day and paying for it every month. You get what you want and you can wheel it or not wheel it as often as you want.
Best advice so far and it's so true. I feel that way 100% but the excitment of buying a new Jeep and the dealer being anxious to unload this 2012 clouds my judgement.
Lucy Brown is offline   Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
XKMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South Texas
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
I test drove a 13 GTI with the DSG tranny. Thats an auto with a mode that mimics a manuel. You dont shift it, it shifts itself and does a really good job of mimicing a manuel. I thought it was a really cool feature. Little off topic but just thought I'd mention it.
My Commander has a similar feature. I don't know what Jeep calls it, but while in Drive pushing the gear shift lever left or right will shift the transmission down or up. No clutch needed.

XKMAN is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC