Automatic Transmission Cooler - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Wrangler_Man11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South TEXAS
Posts: 820
Automatic Transmission Cooler

Does anyone have a transmission cooler installed on their JEEP?? What brand do you recommend? How easy is the install? What BTU's should I get? Thanks

Wrangler_Man11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Wrangler_Man11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South TEXAS
Posts: 820
...

Wrangler_Man11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
tjt94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: El Centro, CA
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_Man11 View Post
...
,,,
tjt94 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12

WF Supporting Member
 
GREEN-MACHINE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF MASSACHUSETTS
Posts: 10,246
i have a BM cooler on mine,, its freaking huge, just under half the size of the ac condenser. installation is easy, start to finish should take 90 minutes, hardest part is routing the lines so the dont rub on anything.
__________________

life is too short to be taken seriously all the time,,,, go buy a MR.potato head and have some fun.
GREEN-MACHINE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
-- google "Aux Cooler Jeep JK/JKU Automatic Transmission"



JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
twxsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
I would be curious to know what your dealer says about voiding warranty if aux cooler added. Mine told me it would be voided if I added an aux cooler. I haven't given up.
twxsby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Wrangler_Man11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South TEXAS
Posts: 820
Just called the dealer and they said it would NOT void any kind of warranty as long as it was installed by an ASE Certified Tech. I ordered the B&M 70268 from Amazon for 60 bux. My buddy is ASE certified so this mod will be done as soon as it arrives. Thanks for the input guys/gals.
Wrangler_Man11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 617
I am not a fan of the old tube & fin style coolers. I have had the best luck with the B&M Supercooler series. I feel the flat tube/fin style adds much more surface area for the air to exchange the heat from the cooler. They are also a more durable design, especially for a Jeep bouncing around off-road.

I have used the B&M Super Coolers in everything from musclecars, street rods, RV's and now Jeeps. I also am a big fan of the AN fittings rather than the brass push barb style hose connections. Not that I have had a problem with the barb style but I prefer the AN fittings. In the past I have purchased AN fittings from Earl's and then welded them onto the B&M coolers. I was about to do this same thing on my Jeep when I ran across a cooler with the AN fittings and brackets from ORW (Off-Road Warehouse). By the time I purchased the AN bungs to weld on, measure and make a trip to purchase my hose and fittings and my time it was not a bad deal to purchase one of the pre-made kits.

I have been very pleased with the kit and it is a very straight forward installation.

You can see my installation in my build thread if you wish. A link to it is in my signature.

Mike.
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon
BDS Long-Arm System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Plus much, much more.

Click here to see my 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
twxsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_Man11 View Post
Just called the dealer and they said it would NOT void any kind of warranty as long as it was installed by an ASE Certified Tech.
I am going to the top, screw the service guy.
I hate how you get different answers form differnt dealers
twxsby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Wrangler_Man11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South TEXAS
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I am not a fan of the old tube & fin style coolers. I have had the best luck with the B&M Supercooler series. I feel the flat tube/fin style adds much more surface area for the air to exchange the heat from the cooler. They are also a more durable design, especially for a Jeep bouncing around off-road.

I have used the B&M Super Coolers in everything from musclecars, street rods, RV's and now Jeeps. I also am a big fan of the AN fittings rather than the brass push barb style hose connections. Not that I have had a problem with the barb style but I prefer the AN fittings. In the past I have purchased AN fittings from Earl's and then welded them onto the B&M coolers. I was about to do this same thing on my Jeep when I ran across a cooler with the AN fittings and brackets from ORW (Off-Road Warehouse). By the time I purchased the AN bungs to weld on, measure and make a trip to purchase my hose and fittings and my time it was not a bad deal to purchase one of the pre-made kits.

I have been very pleased with the kit and it is a very straight forward installation.

You can see my installation in my build thread if you wish. A link to it is in my signature.

Mike.
That's one HELL of a build!! I love it! What Warn front bumper is that...I don't see that one on their website and I like it
Wrangler_Man11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Just add an aux cooler-


Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
-- google "Aux Cooler Jeep JK/JKU Automatic Transmission"



JIMBO
I'd estimate that there have been over 5000 aux coolers added since 2007 and NOT ONE auto tranny has been lost/damaged/w warranty trauma--

You must have more important things in your life to worry about--just doit--

and--------------------FAGETABOUTIT-----------

-JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
twxsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
I actullay got a call back from the GM at my dealer, he explained it to me ike this. The dealer should not be telling customers this and that will void the warranty, it has to be proven by Chrysler that your mod caused the damage. For instance, if your added aux cooler had a leak at the connection you made, lost all fluid and burned up the tranny, they will not cover it. But like Jim said, I'm just going to do it. I would worry less about my added cooler, than my kids cathing on fire because I was worried about voiding my warranty. I feel better about my dealer now (Northwest Dodge, Houston).

Now, are those aux cooler mounting bolts going through the existing radiator?
twxsby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Wrangler_Man11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South TEXAS
Posts: 820
That's my theory as well twxsby, I would have done it regardless of the warranty. The "warranty" that my kids will be safe in it is much more important!!
Wrangler_Man11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Nope--nothing goes thru the rad--


Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
-- google "Aux Cooler Jeep JK/JKU Automatic Transmission"



JIMBO
Quote:
Originally Posted by twxsby View Post
I actullay got a call back from the GM at my dealer, he explained it to me ike this. The dealer should not be telling customers this and that will void the warranty, it has to be proven by Chrysler that your mod caused the damage. For instance, if your added aux cooler had a leak at the connection you made, lost all fluid and burned up the tranny, they will not cover it. But like Jim said, I'm just going to do it. I would worry less about my added cooler, than my kids cathing on fire because I was worried about voiding my warranty. I feel better about my dealer now (Northwest Dodge, Houston).

Now, are those aux cooler mounting bolts going through the existing radiator?
The rad body frame work has multiple holes ALREADY init for various attachments and the A/C Condenser is there--intheway !

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Wrangler_Man11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: South TEXAS
Posts: 820
ALWAYS gotta be something "intheway"!!! It never fails! haha
Wrangler_Man11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 282
B&M cooler here.
44Blues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler_Man11 View Post
That's one HELL of a build!! I love it! What Warn front bumper is that...I don't see that one on their website and I like it
Thank you. The Warn bumper I believe is called their "Elite" full width front bumper. I actually purchased it used locally. I was going to build one but I stumbled across this one for a great deal.

I am getting ready to fabricated my rear bumper/tire carrier within the next week or so. I have seen a few that I really like but I want to add my personal/custom touches to it. I want to have it ready for my May Moab trip.

Mike.
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon
BDS Long-Arm System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Plus much, much more.

Click here to see my 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
igivup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 185
I opted for the B&M stacked cooler. Nice and small,effecient, and sturdy. I also
placed a small spal fan in front of it, for when I'm sitting in traffic and need to cool things down. I just have the fan wired to a switch inside the cab,via a relay. I didn't bother with a temp sensor, as I monitor my trans temp with an Aeroforce gauge. Simple enough setup, and my dealer told me it's always a good idea to install an aux cooler, and they had no problems with me installing it.
igivup is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bakersfield, Ca
Posts: 146
I have a 2011 JKU, and had the "hot Oil" light come on several times. I ordered the B&M 70268 cooler, but was told by the dealer not to install it....would void the warranty....

I called Jeep, started a case file against them, and they agreed to fix the problem by installing a new Mopar Trans cooler for free. Just took me a few calls, and two days to set it up, and I was on the road again.

Jeep knows of the problem, they are just playing the odds that only a few people will complain about the problem, and so they fix only those who call.

The Mopar sure looks good, very good design. They don't tap into the existing rubber lines, they replace them with all new stuff in the kit. If buying it from them, it's over $600.00.

I have not been able to duplicate the "Hot Oil" light since, but I have not been able to get into the mountains where I usually have the incident occur either.

Steven
__________________
Better lucky than good!
fawsty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Lithium Lotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
I believe the Mopar kit is the oem kit they use on the export Wrangler. Part number 82212486
Lithium Lotus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by igivup View Post
I opted for the B&M stacked cooler. Nice and small,effecient, and sturdy. I also
placed a small spal fan in front of it, for when I'm sitting in traffic and need to cool things down. I just have the fan wired to a switch inside the cab,via a relay. I didn't bother with a temp sensor, as I monitor my trans temp with an Aeroforce gauge. Simple enough setup, and my dealer told me it's always a good idea to install an aux cooler, and they had no problems with me installing it.
I did something similar to this on our first motorhome, I wired a fan to a toggle switch on the dash and monitored my transmission temperature through a guage. I would kick the fan on as approaching a long steep grade prior to the temperature starting to climb. Worked great.

I also wired a double throw single pole switch into the guage and had two seperate sending units feeding a signal. One sending unit was in the transmission pan/sump and the other was in the transmission line leaving the transmission going to the cooler. This way I could monitor both by the flip of a switch. I generally left it on the sump sending unit.

Mike.
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon
BDS Long-Arm System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Plus much, much more.

Click here to see my 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #22
Ex Navy man
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,767
I got the B&M 70264 Supercooler for automatic transmission. Got it off E-bay
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,648
Just got back from getting a quote from my local dealer.
It is 662.72 just for the parts. Lmao.
__________________
95 YJ
97 TJ
03 TJ
11 JK
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
zmotorsports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBones View Post
Just got back from getting a quote from my local dealer.
It is 662.72 just for the parts. Lmao.
How many did you order?

Mike.
__________________
2011 JKU Rubicon
BDS Long-Arm System/ 17x9 ATX Crawl wheels/35" BFG KM2's/ Plus much, much more.

Click here to see my 2011 JKU Rubicon Build Thread
zmotorsports is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,648
None. That is for one.
__________________
95 YJ
97 TJ
03 TJ
11 JK
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
Ex Navy man
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,767
That is ridiculous. I am amazed sometimes at what some factory items cost. I bought my B&M for around $70 and even paid someone to do it and they charged me another $70. Wish I could bend over again. I hate paying for something so simple but the $70 labor was well worth the pain I didn't have.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,648
I think I am going to go with the B&M.
I am looking at the one from ORW for 260.00 it looks like a real nice kit.
Don't know witch one yet, any thoughts?
Thanks.
__________________
95 YJ
97 TJ
03 TJ
11 JK
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
RedBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Wv
Posts: 2,648
Could some onE tell me if there is a difference between the Mopar and the B&M.
Would one be better them the other??
Thanks.
__________________
95 YJ
97 TJ
03 TJ
11 JK
RedBones is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
termite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 614
The mopar kit looks like the one installed with the towing package. Or at least it does on mine.
termite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: fly over country
Posts: 54
I was under the impression that a transmission cooler was standard epuipment on a 2012?

jofish is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LockPick CHR550 available for 2012 Manual Transmission Now ndrugby JK General Discussion Forum 128 11-15-2013 01:30 PM
Question about transmission mount, beardown YJ Tech Forum 24 04-28-2012 12:33 PM
Transmission Cooler? ksdindy JK General Discussion Forum 5 03-31-2012 08:48 AM
transmission slipping Tiaan TJ General Discussion Forum 0 03-27-2012 05:17 PM
transmission swap info on a 98 jeep wrangler 2jeepers TJ General Discussion Forum 3 03-27-2012 12:17 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC