Bad TPMS sensor or TIPM issue? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Bad TPMS sensor or TIPM issue?

I have an 08 JKU which I've had intermittent issues which I believe to be TIPM related. Occasionally the blower motor won't come on at any speed, but if left on, will come on anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes.

I also have had issues where only my front 2 windows would not roll down. Then after turning engine off and back on, would start working again (rear worked entire time).

I've not been able to keep one of these issues "broken" long enough to hit the dealer. Dealer has checked before and found no issues but believe it's TIPM related.

Lately, I've been having my TPMS warning light come up. Checking the tires (even spare) shows 34-35 psi. Yesterday the light came on while driving to work. Was still one when I drove home. Checked tire pressure late last night when cold, still 34-35 (previously checked when hot after driving).

Last night the light was off when i checked after checking tire pressure. This morning during drive, came back on again. It's currently on still, but may be off by the time I head home.

Could bad TIPM cause this? Or is this more likely a TPMS sensor issue? Are bad sensors known to be intermitten like this? Or do they just fail causing the TPMS warning light to come on and stay on?

Does TIPM have anything to do with TPMS?

DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dick Blonov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal (the big one)
Posts: 544
As far as I know, the TPMS is managed by the WCM (wireless control module). Was the blower motor ever replaced?


DB

Dick Blonov is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Blonov View Post
As far as I know, the TPMS is managed by the WCM (wireless control module). Was the blower motor ever replaced?


DB
No, nothing has been replaced. The blower motor issue hasn't occurred in several weeks and the window issue has been a few months.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been to dealer - they haven't been able to reproduce the issue, nor has it the problem stayed broken long enough for me to show it to the dealer.

Since you mention wireless control module..

I've also been experiencing key fob distance issues as well (have for months). Sometimes I can unlock from 30 feet sometimes from only 5.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 166
Apologize for interrupting, but how does the TPMS functions? Does each sensor has to be installed on a designated tire or there are sensors on the brake discs that does the reading? Just asking when I have to get net tires installed and make sure everything is installed right.
stzd8 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Wrangler Wrassler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 71
I am having the same issue as well in my '11, mine flashes within the first 1/4 mile then goes solid after another few hundred yards. I have checked all five tires, run them to 40, then when that didn't fix it, I took them back to 35. I've been told by a couple other members on here to get a Procal so that I can reset it and any other engine codes that come up. However after reading into them, I cannot find any to work with the 6-speed. I have an appointment at the stealership on Friday so, I will report back.
Wrangler Wrassler is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 11,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6156 View Post
No, nothing has been replaced. The blower motor issue hasn't occurred in several weeks and the window issue has been a few months.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been to dealer - they haven't been able to reproduce the issue, nor has it the problem stayed broken long enough for me to show it to the dealer.

Since you mention wireless control module..

I've also been experiencing key fob distance issues as well (have for months). Sometimes I can unlock from 30 feet sometimes from only 5.
Do you still have the original battery? Does it seem to happen after the Jeep has been sitting for awhile?


Also I have a procal on a 2012 manual that works as advertised.
__________________
“My Stapler is a Swingline.”

-Milton Waddams
mckey73 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73 View Post
Do you still have the original battery? Does it seem to happen after the Jeep has been sitting for awhile?


Also I have a procal on a 2012 manual that works as advertised.
It's the same battery that was in it when I bought it used (not mopar battery).
Battery was tested fine (auto parts store)

The TPMS issue started about a month ago, it happened twice before I took it to dealer (been a few weeks since I've been at dealer). The light was off, they couldn't reproduce and found no issue. It has gone a few weeks without going off at all, then happened yesterday commute to and from work and this mornings commute to work.

Sit a long time? how long is a long time? I parked at home around 6pm last night, left home around 6:45 am this morning. Probably same time around monday to tuesday.

stayed on yesterday when i went to leave work (5pm) and was on until I got home. Checked tire pressure around 9:30 pm last night and started jeep to check and the light was off.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by stzd8 View Post
Apologize for interrupting, but how does the TPMS functions? Does each sensor has to be installed on a designated tire or there are sensors on the brake discs that does the reading? Just asking when I have to get net tires installed and make sure everything is installed right.
There is a sensor in each tire and usually the spare too.

Tire shops should know based on vehicle information if they have TPMS or not and some tire shops offer "rebuilding them" as part of their quote. not sure what exactly rebuilding means or does. I'm getting quotes for tires for my other vehicle and some shops have specifically mentioned the rebuild as part of the quote.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Drmad7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: No longer in Afghanistan... Ohio
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6156 View Post

There is a sensor in each tire and usually the spare too.

Tire shops should know based on vehicle information if they have TPMS or not and some tire shops offer "rebuilding them" as part of their quote. not sure what exactly rebuilding means or does. I'm getting quotes for tires for my other vehicle and some shops have specifically mentioned the rebuild as part of the quote.
The "rebuilding" is just them taking the sensor from one tire and putting them in the new tire. I bought a '13 and since my aftermarket tires were for my '08 JKU, I had to buy new sensors.
For the OP, I had the blower motor issue with my '08. Along with the driver's side front window. I was out of the country, but my wife said the dealership fixed the window( new motor) and had to replace the entire fuse box...module. This was in 2010. The blower motor thing happened again this past winter and being the lazy guy that I am, and the fact that it was cold in Ohio, while it was being checked and quoted a price to fix....I test drove a 13 and decided I would be trading it in. Which I did later and the blower happened to be working on that day.
Drmad7 is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Dick Blonov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal (the big one)
Posts: 544
Can you retreive the DTC error codes to see if any TIPM codes show up?

DB
Dick Blonov is offline   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler Wrassler View Post
I am having the same issue as well in my '11, mine flashes within the first 1/4 mile then goes solid after another few hundred yards. I have checked all five tires, run them to 40, then when that didn't fix it, I took them back to 35. I've been told by a couple other members on here to get a Procal so that I can reset it and any other engine codes that come up. However after reading into them, I cannot find any to work with the 6-speed. I have an appointment at the stealership on Friday so, I will report back.
Being yours flashes for a minute and then stays on, then that's a malfunction and not an actual low pressure warning. So most likely you have a bad sensor.
bengen1 is online now   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
bengen1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: St. Louis County
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM6156 View Post

No, nothing has been replaced. The blower motor issue hasn't occurred in several weeks and the window issue has been a few months.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been to dealer - they haven't been able to reproduce the issue, nor has it the problem stayed broken long enough for me to show it to the dealer.

Since you mention wireless control module..

I've also been experiencing key fob distance issues as well (have for months). Sometimes I can unlock from 30 feet sometimes from only 5.
Have you tried your spare key fob to see if you have same issues. Could just be a near dead battery in your remote.
Also have you tried a reset by unhooking your battery?
bengen1 is online now   Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengen1 View Post
Have you tried your spare key fob to see if you have same issues. Could just be a near dead battery in your remote.
Also have you tried a reset by unhooking your battery?
happens with both key fobs (2nd key fob is hardly used) Battery is good in both key fobs.

I believe the dealer disconnected battery (when I picked up from them last time, I had no preset radio stations).
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
My light also flashes for a period of time then stays on.

It was off yesterday when I left work to go home, but came on during the drive. Then it was off this morning and stayed off the entire trip to work.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,364
Do not discount the battery. If it is not up to snuff, all kinds of gremlins show up.

Bob K.
nwbronco is online now   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
light was on friday when I got home, was still on friday evening after being parked for a couple hours.

Light was off saturday morning and has since been off. Made a 130 mile round trip drive on saturday and racked up another 20-25 miles sunday. It was still off even driving to work this morning.

However, friday driving home, when I turned on the blower motor, it didn't come on, I left it in the on position and it came on after about 10-15 seconds.

both of these issues are very intemittent and I am not able to stop by dealer when problem is occuring for them to see.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Driving home last night, the blower motor didn't work when I first turned it on. I attempted to head to dealer to show them it was "broken", but it came on before I could get there. I started just turning it off and on and it didn't come on a second time, but again, came on before reaching the dealer.

After that occurred, I decided to call the dealer anyway. The TPMS warning actually occurred when I was on the phone with a service manager from the dealer and he heard the audible warning!

He said he felt confident they could reproduce the issues, though I told him I've had it in several times and they couldn't yet.

Dropped it off at the dealer this morning, will post an update after they look at it.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
The dealer said they are going to replace the blower motor as it is making some noise. They said they are also going to replace the wireless control module.

All work is covered by my extended warranty.

They said they can get all parts in and replaced on monday.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
Driving home friday, the TPMS came on again. I called the dealer, spoke to the service rep who I have been working with, he asked me to call him back on monday. He said he was going to open a star tech case (i believe was the phrase) with chrysler if one wasn't already opened.

He said it was a guess that replacing the blower motor and wireless control module would solve the issue.

I reminded him again that in reading various similar complaints, the issue was resolved by replacing the TIPM.

Another update to follow after monday's call.
DM6156 is offline   Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Georgia
Posts: 318
update :

Blower motor issue hasn't occurred since it was replaced, but it was far more intermittent issue. Only time will tell


TPMS light came on again and this time threw a code for a bad sensor (it had not done that before, not sure where code was, no dash lights beside TPMS light ever came on). Since replacing the sensor, the TPMS light hasn't came on again.

DM6156 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC