BFGs and BlackRocks - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
BFGs and BlackRocks

Just got back from Discount Tire with my new BFG KOs and BlackRock Vipers. I'm lovin em! My Jeep's finally starting to look like a Jeep. Now I just need a TF leveling kit and some dirt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_183300.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	276180   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_183325.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	276182  


__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
mallcrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 43,797
I remember those wheels

Looks great !!

__________________
37x12.5x17 MTR-Rock Krawler 3.5"
Coils-custom length X-Factor arms-Teraflex-Synergy steering-Rancho 5000X shocks-Adams front DS.
My 2007 2 Door Build
General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Thanks! I guess I'm used to seeing 35s+ on this forum so they don't give me as much of a staunch look as I expected, but I'm still pretty happy.

Any thoughts on a leveling kit vs a 2/2.5" budget boost? I want a taller look and decent off road performance, but this is my DD so I don't plan on doing much full-flex offroading (more like intermediate trails a couple times a month). Is a budget boost worth twice the price of the leveling kit?
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
What size are the tungstens?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
What size are the tungstens?
The Vipers are 15x8 with 3.75 back spacing.
The KOs are 33x10.5R15.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
I did not know they made a 10.5 for a 15x8. I asked because they looked like 15s but the tires were skinnier than 12.5s.

The tungsten looks great against the silver/billet.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
I did not know they made a 10.5 for a 15x8. I asked because they looked like 15s but the tires were skinnier than 12.5s.

The tungsten looks great against the silver/billet.
Thanks for captioning my pain I like the rims but the tires are not as beefy as I had hoped. I originally was going to get the 12.5s but was dissuaded by some posts on WF due to gas mileage, hydroplaning issues, and cost.

I'm going to call Discount Tire today and see if they'll swap them out for the 12.5s considering I have less than 10 miles on the 10.5s.

Does anyone here run a 12.5 on a 15x8 rim? The min rim size is supposed to be 8.5", but I have heard others claim they run on an 8" rim to hold beads when aired down. Any thoughts?
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #8
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeover View Post
Thanks for captioning my pain I like the rims but the tires are not as beefy as I had hoped. I originally was going to get the 12.5s but was dissuaded by some posts on WF due to gas mileage, hydroplaning issues, and cost.

I'm going to call Discount Tire today and see if they'll swap them out for the 12.5s considering I have less than 10 miles on the 10.5s.

Does anyone here run a 12.5 on a 15x8 rim? The min rim size is supposed to be 8.5", but I have heard others claim they run on an 8" rim to hold beads when aired down. Any thoughts?
Ha..sorry just an observation. Whoever stated there was an issue with hydroplaning because it's a 12.5 tire is confused. There is no relation to a tires width and hydroplaning. They may have been thinking whether a tire was sipped or not but it's not the width so don't let that be a consideration.

Here is my jeep with 33x12.5R15 BFG KM2s on 15x8 level trackers.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Ha..sorry just an observation. Whoever stated there was an issue with hydroplaning because it's a 12.5 tire is confused. There is no relation to a tires width and hydroplaning. They may have been thinking whether a tire was sipped or not but it's not the width so don't let that be a consideration.

Here is my jeep with 33x12.5R15 BFG KM2s on 15x8 level trackers.
Yeah that's more what I'm looking for, but now discount tire is refusing to put the 12.5s on because the original tire load rating was 113 and the all the 12.5s they carry have a load rating of 108.

They say it's to dangerous to put on a tire with a lower load rating than factory. According to the manager, everyone that has the 12.5s went to fly-by-night tire places that don't care about safety... His words
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Big Fran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NE Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeover View Post
Yeah that's more what I'm looking for, but now discount tire is refusing to put the 12.5s on because the original tire load rating was 113 and the all the 12.5s they carry have a load rating of 108.

They say it's to dangerous to put on a tire with a lower load rating than factory. According to the manager, everyone that has the 12.5s went to fly-by-night tire places that don't care about safety... His words
I have 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims and they are from Discount Tire.

__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Silver 4.0L, Auto, ARB locked 5.13 G2 D44's on 35's
1998 Jeep TJ Sahara Black 4.0L 5-Speed, Replacing the frame
1997 "GI" Jeep TJ OD Green 2.5L, 5-Speed, lifted on 33's
Big Fran is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fran View Post
I have 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims and they are from Discount Tire.

Ha ha... Yeah I know. I found out how to get Discount to put on the tires I want... Just call another store . Called the store 5 miles further down and they said they'll do it (no questions asked).

I guess my store's manager has had the advanced bureaucrat training. I need to hurry up and get this done before they roll it out to the rest of the company.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
Discount Tire mounts 33, 35 and even 37s on 15x8 wheels all day long. There is no safety issue.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Discount Tire mounts 33, 35 and even 37s on 15x8 wheels all day long. There is no safety issue.
I didn't think so either. I'm no tire expert, but I've learned enough from reading this forum to know a jk can handle a 33x12.5 KOs without issue. This guy was adamant though that he would have to get corporate approval from the VP to put on this tire. Just another "by the book" sap that couldn't see the forest through the trees.

I've got an appointment this afternoon at the other Discount down the street to get the 12.5s put on so I'm much happier now. Thanks to all of you for your inputs. I'll post the updated pics when they're on.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
That's great, are they just going to even exchange them for the new ones?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
That's great, are they just going to even exchange them for the new ones?
I have to pay the cost difference and labor for the remount, but they're not charging me for the 10.5s. It's going to cost a total of about $200. Well worth it to be happy with the purchase.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 703
That's a good deal. Be sure to post new pics when you get them on!
hair2831 is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
Yep waiting on the pics.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 24
Looks good- love those black rocks
thunderdan11 is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Here are the swapped out 12.5s

Before 33x10.50R15



After 33x12.50R15



Before 33x10.50R15



After 33x12.50R15



The other Discount Tire swapped em out without any headaches. When manager saw the 10.5s on the Jeep he actually said to me: "yeah, you need some fatter tires".

Thanks ESP for the gentle tap that put me over the edge and drove me to get what I wanted in the first place. I was okay with the 10.5s, but now I'm grinning ear-to-ear .

What a difference 2" can make..
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdan11 View Post
Looks good- love those black rocks
Thanks man! When I first looked at them I didn't like them and now I love them (especially with the 12.5s). The tungsten actually matches the billet better than I thought it would.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #21
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeover View Post
The other Discount Tire swapped em out without any headaches. When manager saw the 10.5s on the Jeep he actually said to me: "yeah, you need some fatter tires".

Thanks ESP for the gentle tap that put me over the edge and drove me to get what I wanted in the first place. I was okay with the 10.5s, but now I'm grinning ear-to-ear .

What a difference 2" can make..
You betcha brother. They look really good and give a much better stance. Glad you like em because it's stuff like this that makes you smile each time you see your jeep.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

You do not have a soul, you are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis
ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38
I'm doing it a bit different this time but 33x12.5 BFG's and a small lift have kept me from walking for more miles than I care to remember. Wheels look great too!
KBoB is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
flipmeover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoB View Post
I'm doing it a bit different this time but 33x12.5 BFG's and a small lift have kept me from walking for more miles than I care to remember. Wheels look great too!
Thanks! They feel good on the road, but now I'm dying to see how they run offroad.
__________________
Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
- Scott Adams
flipmeover is offline   Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 703
Looks good! Yep 2" can make a big difference. ;-)

hair2831 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC