Bike Racks for Oversized Tire? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
ChaseRedJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 402
Bike Racks for Oversized Tire?

Jeepers,

What bike racks are you running? Looking for tire mount not sure which one to get. Suggestions?

__________________
Chase
2014 JKR - Flame Red - Ordered - 2.10.14
2007 JK - Flame Red - Sold - 2.9.14
ChaseRedJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Cosmic Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,486
Yakima Spare Time is what I run. It has it's pro's and con's, but it gets the job done. I have yet to find the perfect bike rack for a Wrangler.

__________________
2012 Winter Chill Arctic Edition JK
Cosmic Charlie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
ChaseRedJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 402
That's the one I was looking at.. i like the bottle opener feature
__________________
Chase
2014 JKR - Flame Red - Ordered - 2.10.14
2007 JK - Flame Red - Sold - 2.9.14
ChaseRedJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MA
Posts: 694
If you already have an oversized tire you may want to think twice about putting more weight of a rack plus a bike on top of that onto your tailgate. May be too heavy for the tire mount. Consider a hitch rack
__________________
~ Luke
2012 JKU SportS
33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs
MB72 Wheels
R4D4R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 992
I'm running a Thule Spare Me on my stock 255/75R17 tire. When the arms are folded into place the bar on top sits above the tire and has only about an inch of clearance. I can probably tweak the mount but the most I'll be able to clear is a small 35". And that's fine for me because that's all I'm going to put on my JK until it becomes a dedicated trail rig and I have a different daily driver to tote my bikes around.

A hitch mount would probably be better if you have really large tires.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas 4spd/D44/9" - Work In Progress

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ChaseRedJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 402
hmm that's all i was concerned about was it fitting. I wasn't sure if the bracket that goes into the wheel and bolts on would be long enough to offset the mount far enough out to clear the tire.. i like the thule rack. I might look into hitch mounts.. the expense sucks though.
__________________
Chase
2014 JKR - Flame Red - Ordered - 2.10.14
2007 JK - Flame Red - Sold - 2.9.14
ChaseRedJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseRedJK View Post
hmm that's all i was concerned about was it fitting. I wasn't sure if the bracket that goes into the wheel and bolts on would be long enough to offset the mount far enough out to clear the tire.. i like the thule rack. I might look into hitch mounts.. the expense sucks though.
The Thule comes with a couple of parts to allow for wider tires. There's two extenders for the part that sticks through the hole in the center of the tire and two different length tubes to bolt to the rack to engage with the center post. I won't have any problem dealing with a wider 35x12.50 tire (315/70R16). It just can't deal with taller tires very well.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas 4spd/D44/9" - Work In Progress

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
REDY2KTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 84
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I'm running a Thule Spare Me on my stock 255/75R17 tire. When the arms are folded into place the bar on top sits above the tire and has only about an inch of clearance. I can probably tweak the mount but the most I'll be able to clear is a small 35". And that's fine for me because that's all I'm going to put on my JK until it becomes a dedicated trail rig and I have a different daily driver to tote my bikes around.

A hitch mount would probably be better if you have really large tires.

Would you happen to have a picture of that? I am looking for a rack to fit a 33x12.50 15. It says it will clear a 285 (33inch) but I would really like to SEE that?

Thanks.
__________________
Hello, My Name is REDY2KTJ, and I'm a Jeepaholic

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2000 (Y2K)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
REDY2KTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 992
This is with the rack extended on my factory stock 255/75R17. There's just under 1.5" of clearance between the bar and the tire. You can reposition the mount to raise up the whole thing about 1.5".

__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/NP241/D30/D44 - Grimm Jeeper
1986 J10 - 360/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF - Truck Norris
1984 CJ7 - 5.3/4L60E/Atlas 4spd/D44/9" - Work In Progress

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
run1stride2nd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Images: 13
This is probably the most solid way to carry a bike. I use this one. You might need a hitch extension depending on how wide your spare is. I won't let my bikes hang. Plus like others have said, the extra weight might be bad.

Thule 916XTR - T2 Platform Bike Hitch Rack Presented by Rack Outfitters - YouTube
run1stride2nd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
rfortune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oakwood, GA
Posts: 343
I use Yakima Double Deuce. It locks in to the receiver and is a threaded bolt so there is no shake or bouncing around. The bike is held in place with rubber bungees on the carrier, and the top arm of the carrier has a locking cable as well. No worries about damage to the bike or theft.

The carrier lays down to open the rear gate, and it clears a 12.5" rear spare with an inch clearance.





__________________
2013 JK Rubicon Commando Green
AEV DualSport XT 2.5" Lift | American Outlaw Buckshot 17x9 Matte Black | GY Duratrac 315/70/17 | Bestop High Access Front w/ Bull Bar | Q9000 Winch | LEDs everywhere | ACE Rock Rails | ACE Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier | ACE Wide Flat Fenders
rfortune is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
axe_handle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 129
I run a Yakima Spare Time. Not my favorite bike rack as far as bike racks go (2nd gen Sport Rack before they were bought out is my all time fav). The Spare Time has other qualities going for it. The center post is pretty stout and it works even better on 35" tires (less rack wobble). I drilled it and mounted my Rotopax to it, something you can't do with the other tire mount bike racks.
__________________
2012 JKU Rubi - Dozer | auto | 4.10
AEV tubeless premium front | Warn 9.5cti-s | AEV 2.5" DS w/ geo brackets | AEV rear w/ carrier |
ARB Keggorator w/ CO2
axe_handle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_handle View Post
I run a Yakima Spare Time. Not my favorite bike rack as far as bike racks go (2nd gen Sport Rack before they were bought out is my all time fav). The Spare Time has other qualities going for it. The center post is pretty stout and it works even better on 35" tires (less rack wobble). I drilled it and mounted my Rotopax to it, something you can't do with the other tire mount bike racks.
You have any pictures of this? I was considering doing something similar.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
caprob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Offshore & Covington
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseRedJK View Post
Jeepers,

What bike racks are you running? Looking for tire mount not sure which one to get. Suggestions?
My buddy with a 2013 JKUR solved the problem and he always does it with class. His forum name is Visual Voodoo.
__________________
Keep Calm Jeep On! Rob
______====
[ [][],[___
l--\|\| --OlllllllO-
())-o-())-o-))
caprob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
axe_handle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
You have any pictures of this? I was considering doing something similar.
Sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0218.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	229615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0219.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	229616  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0220.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	229617  
__________________
2012 JKU Rubi - Dozer | auto | 4.10
AEV tubeless premium front | Warn 9.5cti-s | AEV 2.5" DS w/ geo brackets | AEV rear w/ carrier |
ARB Keggorator w/ CO2
axe_handle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
boilermaker_yv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami
Posts: 150
Send a message via Skype™ to boilermaker_yv
I use a Saris hitch rack, it is meant to be "folded up" when not in use but I have 12" wheels so I have to keep it open
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2265919796.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	229691  
__________________
2013 JKUS Loaded
boilermaker_yv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
IMO do a hitch rack and spend the money on a 1up rack.

1UPUSA.com :: Bicycle Racks
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
REDY2KTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 84
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
This is with the rack extended on my factory stock 255/75R17. There's just under 1.5" of clearance between the bar and the tire. You can reposition the mount to raise up the whole thing about 1.5".

Thanks Derf, looks like that could work out for me
__________________
Hello, My Name is REDY2KTJ, and I'm a Jeepaholic

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2000 (Y2K)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
REDY2KTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
REDY2KTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 84
Images: 4
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 Jeep TJ Tire Carrier.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	229700


Im not home to measure the distance of my tire from the body. My concern with any hitch mount (preferred) is the distance from hitch to clear the tire. Anybody have a idea, on a hitch mount, without having to cobble or have one extended?
Derf, showed me his set up that looks to clear a 33x12.50, but would like a hitch mount to take off when not needed.

Thanks.
__________________
Hello, My Name is REDY2KTJ, and I'm a Jeepaholic

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2000 (Y2K)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
REDY2KTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
red in looking at your high lift mount. why not just mount a rack there and move your high lift inside your rig so it will actually work when you need it.
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_handle View Post

Sure.
Thanks, great idea on that.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PedroJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 353
Images: 9
Hi guys I'm running into a problem with my spare time rack. I got 33x10.5x15 spare tire n how I can't mount the rack on my spare tire cause it dont reach the tube in the middle. I change my wheels n before it used to work fine on my 15x8 wheels but now since I got 15x10.5 wheels it won't fit! I'm looking to buy me another rack because of this issue. Ne ideas on what could I do about it before I can get me another rack?
PedroJr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
axplayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 32
If you have mountain bikes only, get the Northshore rack. Love mine. Very sturdy and adjustable.
axplayer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
The General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroJr View Post
Hi guys I'm running into a problem with my spare time rack. I got 33x10.5x15 spare tire n how I can't mount the rack on my spare tire cause it dont reach the tube in the middle. I change my wheels n before it used to work fine on my 15x8 wheels but now since I got 15x10.5 wheels it won't fit! I'm looking to buy me another rack because of this issue. Ne ideas on what could I do about it before I can get me another rack?
Have the threaded butt cut off and have a 2-3'' extension welded on to it. I ran into the same problem when I changed wheels.
The General is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #25
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PedroJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 353
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post

Have the threaded butt cut off and have a 2-3'' extension welded on to it. I ran into the same problem when I changed wheels.
I thought about that but my question is would it shake more having that extension? Cause just with the one it comes with it, it shakes my bike on the spare tire n u should know what I'm talking about. What I had to do in that case was that I had the extension for a bigger tires on the spare braket and it was shaking even more so I remove it completely n now it still shakes but not as much. The bad thing is that my bike it's already scrape on the body of it.
PedroJr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
The General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroJr View Post

I thought about that but my question is would it shake more having that extension? Cause just with the one it comes with it, it shakes my bike on the spare tire n u should know what I'm talking about. What I had to do in that case was that I had the extension for a bigger tires on the spare braket and it was shaking even more so I remove it completely n now it still shakes but not as much. The bad thing is that my bike it's already scrape on the body of it.
If its done properly it shouldn't be an issue. However, u have the yakima I believe, and I have the Thule. That may make a difference. My biggest issue is the plate that slides on the tire carrier doesn't allow for much bite from the lugs.
The General is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #27
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
PedroJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 353
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post

If its done properly it shouldn't be an issue. However, u have the yakima I believe, and I have the Thule. That may make a difference. My biggest issue is the plate that slides on the tire carrier doesn't allow for much bite from the lugs.
Yeah up I do have the Yakima spare time rack! You are telling me that Thule is better than Yakima products?.
PedroJr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
en480c4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kittery, ME
Posts: 79
I modified a Thule Spare Me rack for use with my AEV tire carrier and 35" spare. With the AEV wheel backspacing, I used an 18-8 fully threaded stainless steel stud (M8, 100mm length, 1.25mm pitch, McMaster PN 93805A375) in the bracket that mounts behind the spare, and added the 18-8 stainless steel coupling nut (M8, 1.25mm pitch, 38mm lenght, 16mm width, McMaster PN 93590A220) to get everything extended as necessary. This didn't have quite enough room to snug everything up, so I then had to trim the end Thule threaded part about 1/2" to be able to tighten down the whole thing. I then had to drill out three holes across the bottom of the rack itself to raise the mount high enough to fit over the spare. Basically you drill out the center hole so the threaded knob can fit through, and drill two holes just above the slotted holes for the bracket to attach to. It went really well, took less than a half our and worked great for a 1000 mile road trip a few weeks ago. All of the weight is taken by the top of the rack resting on top of the spare, so the fact that the bracket through the center of the spare doesn't interlock with the bracket on the back of the carrier doesn't affect strength or stability.

All I have is an overall shot, but if anyone needs any additional photos, just let me know.

__________________
Ian
2012 Sahara Tan JKU
en480c4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
The General's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroJr View Post

Yeah up I do have the Yakima spare time rack! You are telling me that Thule is better than Yakima products?.
Not saying one is better than the other, just noting that we are comparing a mod on two different products.
The General is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
rgaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by en480c4 View Post
"so the fact that the bracket through the center of the spare doesn't interlock with the bracket on the back of the carrier doesn't affect strength or stability.


I had the same issue and ordered parts O, P, & J for security. You may need Q.

Thule*-*963PRO Spare Me

rgaba is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC