Bilstein 5100 install tips - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
jonf30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 137
Bilstein 5100 install tips

ok... my lift is scheduled to be here on Friday (TF 2.5"coil w/ bilsteins) and Im trying to gather tools and info on what to expect. From what I'm reading its seems the lift is self explanitory but I'm getting some some complaints about the front shock installation. Just looking for someone to share their experience with me and any helpful tips before my install turns into an all day project!
Thanks

__________________
2011 Tan Sahara
jonf30 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 214
Even a novice should be able to swap the front shocks in less than 30 min.

devicemanager is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Aspen
Posts: 82
Wish I cold shed some light but I am waiting for the exact same setup to arrive (bilsteins on back order) look forward to hearing how it goes and if you would please list tools and equipment used on the install. Good luck.
RPN516 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jonf30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by devicemanager View Post
Even a novice should be able to swap the front shocks in less than 30 min.
Well, Im reading on some threads that there is an issue with the bushings? I dont know. That why I am asking. Can you share your install experience with me? any problems I should be aware of? Do you have these shocks?
Thanks
__________________
2011 Tan Sahara
jonf30 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
jonf30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPN516 View Post
Wish I cold shed some light but I am waiting for the exact same setup to arrive (bilsteins on back order) look forward to hearing how it goes and if you would please list tools and equipment used on the install. Good luck.
Def will do. Hope to get it done this weekend!
__________________
2011 Tan Sahara
jonf30 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western Washington
Posts: 198
When it comes to being mechanically inclined I'm smack dab in the middle. By no means a mechanic but I can typically muddle my way through.

I did my own shocks about a year ago and it was quite easy. Wish I could remember or help more. Just be confident, have a small assemblage of tools and a partner in crime and you'll be fine.
__________________
In it for the MUD.

-Steel02001
Steel02001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,041
Very easy bud..

The front shocks have allen wrench location on top- to hold the shock from turning when you tighten the nut. Found this out two days later
Instructions are in German lol
Take a pic of the factory shocks, note how the bushings stack up on top.
the rears are cake.

Here's some torque specs also

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...orque-settings
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jsmithtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,198
Images: 4
Had my lift installed last nite. Teraflex 2.5" with Bilsteins. Ordered from Northridge 4x4. No backorder on shocks. Delivered in less than a week. Great folks.
jsmithtx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 363
With the tire off you can remove the factory shock with cresent wrenchs. You would need a pair of vice grips or channel locks to get the new shock on. You have to grip the shaft with something because there is no place to hold the shaft with a wrench.

I put the boots on but I am starting to regret it since they dont seem to stay on.
__________________
- 2010 JKU Rubicon - 4" Full Traction Long Arm Lift - 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers - 5.38 Gears -
Cold is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Cold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Very easy bud..

The front shocks have allen wrench location on top- to hold the shock from turning when you tighten the nut. Found this out two days later
Instructions are in German lol
Take a pic of the factory shocks, note how the bushings stack up on top.
the rears are cake.

Here's some torque specs also

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Torque Settings
Theres an allen wrench socket on top?? damit
__________________
- 2010 JKU Rubicon - 4" Full Traction Long Arm Lift - 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers - 5.38 Gears -
Cold is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Very easy bud..

"The front shocks have allen wrench location on top- to hold the shock from turning when you tighten the nut"



. Found this out two days later
Instructions are in German lol
Take a pic of the factory shocks, note how the bushings stack up on top.
the rears are cake.

Here's some torque specs also

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...orque-settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold
With the tire off you can remove the factory shock with cresent wrenchs. You would need a pair of vice grips or channel locks to get the new shock on. You have to grip the shaft with something because there is no place to hold the shaft with a wrench.

I put the boots on but I am starting to regret it since they dont seem to stay on.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #12
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold

Theres an allen wrench socket on top?? damit
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
yeah I noticed the bilsteins were considerably harder to install than my OME shocks, due to how stiff they are. i installed the top first, threaded by hand, then used a flat head screw driver to totally scratch up my paint to leverage the bottom to line up with the bolt hole and put the bolt in. secured the bottom, than at the top I used a 90 degree allen key with a ratcheting wrench, simply finagled both on at the same time, and let the allen key bind itself along the housing, and went to town tightening it. only problem I had is I never seemed to have any real resistance to tightening, so I just went until there was a 1/4 of the bolt exposed over the top of my wrench.

also, since the bushings are not at all obvious, heres a link to my install thread

Bilstein 5100 Install

I thought needing help with shock installs was silly, till I had to install these damn things. Not at all obvious, and a bear to wrestle with. Enjoy the ride once they're in!
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck
yeah I noticed the bilsteins were considerably harder to install than my OME shocks, due to how stiff they are. i installed the top first, threaded by hand, then used a flat head screw driver to totally scratch up my paint to leverage the bottom to line up with the bolt hole and put the bolt in. secured the bottom, than at the top I used a 90 degree allen key with a ratcheting wrench, simply finagled both on at the same time, and let the allen key bind itself along the housing, and went to town tightening it. only problem I had is I never seemed to have any real resistance to tightening, so I just went until there was a 1/4 of the bolt exposed over the top of my wrench.

also, since the bushings are not at all obvious, heres a link to my install thread

Bilstein 5100 Install

I thought needing help with shock installs was silly, till I had to install these damn things. Not at all obvious, and a bear to wrestle with. Enjoy the ride once they're in!


I pretty much did the same. 1/4 of thread showing.

I had the same issue and could not find anything via search. So I installed one bushing and drove around.
The next day I was able to get the other bushing on top and the nut to grab.

Wow-thought I was the only one haha
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,298
I took a dremel and cut the plastic that denies access to the top nut. Drivers side is cake, but you may have to do that with passenger side. It was eady once that plastic removed.
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kenb1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewood NM
Posts: 937
Is it me or are the new bushings to thick to get the nut on? I put the old bushings back in for now as they let me get the nut on. Any fixes to this issue?
kenb1023 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb1023
Is it me or are the new bushings to thick to get the nut on? I put the old bushings back in for now as they let me get the nut on. Any fixes to this issue?
Set the jeep on its own weight. I drove without the top bushing for a day, then I was able to get the top one one and the washer/nut . Don't forget about the Allen head up top the post
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kenb1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewood NM
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Set the jeep on its own weight. I drove without the top bushing for a day, then I was able to get the top one one and the washer/nut . Don't forget about the Allen head up top the post
I will give it a try, thanks.
kenb1023 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Exclamation Oh boy................

..... my Bilsteins are due any day I did already use a Dremal to remove the plastic at the front-passenger side

Seems the install will still be a Bear
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1
Help!

Hey guys, how did you get access to the Allen key on the driver side? And how did you get access to it on the passenger side? I've read every post and I'm still confused.
JeepJk1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Ridge,NC
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJk1 View Post
Hey guys, how did you get access to the Allen key on the driver side? And how did you get access to it on the passenger side? I've read every post and I'm still confused.
I used a long allen wrench on the driver side and came down through a slot in the plastic next to the abs controller. On the passenger side I just used the short 90° end of the same wrench.
X50ARM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
JerryJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Lakewood Ranch
Posts: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by X50ARM View Post

I used a long allen wrench on the driver side and came down through a slot in the plastic next to the abs controller. On the passenger side I just used the short 90° end of the same wrench.
X2 on driver also on passenger I used a dremel and notched the inner fender out next to the top of shock bolt. Then slid the shock boot down. With a rubber hose slice down one side and place over the shock piston. Clamp gently with pliers of your choice and hold nut while twisting piston. Sounds like a pain but it's very quick and easy. Remember that you only need a slight bulge on the rubber spacer. Mine show about 1/4" of bolt past nut. Good luck....

JerryJeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rugged Ridge Grill Mesh Install ??? KYJeepMan1 JK General Discussion Forum 35 05-09-2013 09:22 PM
4.88/5.13 install Adian JK General Discussion Forum 25 03-12-2012 06:50 AM
Is Bilstein a good suspension sytem Zesty Mike General Jeep Discussion 16 03-03-2012 09:41 AM
TJ Radio Install Madness Jeep_ODST TJ General Discussion Forum 9 02-28-2012 08:56 PM
Fog Light Install jeepercowboy TJ General Discussion Forum 9 02-28-2012 07:01 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC