blowing fuses / cigarette lighter adapter - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 11
blowing fuses / cigarette lighter adapter

I have a Master Flow MF-1040 that I use for managing tire pressure, but half the time I use it, I end up blowing the 20 amp fuse for the cigarette lighter adapter. It's a piece of cake to replace and I have the extra fuses, but I was wondering if there was a way to "upgrade" the cigarette lighter adapter so it could handle just a bit more.

Anyone else have experience with this?

dotcomino is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
GiantSchnauzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DUBAI
Posts: 133
The problem I have with the cigarette lighter is that it is way at the bottom and the dash comes out further the higher up you go and it hit it and loose the lighter somewhere on the floor (good to have the rugged ridge floormats ) ,
Anyways, on a technical note, if you areblowing fuses then there is too much current/draw for the 20 amps (which is actually quite a bit as regular household plugs are 13amps.....) so either you try the other "cig lighter plug in the rear of the jeep, or if that also has the same amp fuse, either check what amperes the equipment is supposed to draw that you are plugging in. Mabye its faulty or if not the else electrical wiring in the jeep cannot take the current. ( you could throw in a bigger fuse but risk melting the wires)

GiantSchnauzer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
A better solution would be to connect alligator clips on it and connect it directly to the battery. (like many other compressors). You don't want to run more current through your plug than it was designed for. You could install a new fused plug somewhere (with heavier wiring), but a direct connection to the battery works well.
__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
GiantSchnauzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DUBAI
Posts: 133
Any way just soldering some clamps on to connect directly to the battery?
GiantSchnauzer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
GiantSchnauzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: DUBAI
Posts: 133
LOL, just posted a sec before me
GiantSchnauzer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
BakedInMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: St Paul Minnesota
Posts: 249
I had the same issue in my SSR. Every time I plugged in the compressor, it blew the fuse. The solution to that one was using a different outlet. As funny as it may sound, they had different ratings on the outlets. The actual cig lighter one was lower rated than the "utility" plug. Not sure if that's the same for the Jeep, but you may want to check.

In lieu of that, connecting directly to the battery (as suggested above) works well.
__________________
"You're more awesome than a monkey wearing a tuxedo made out of bacon riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for the horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on Mars while engulfed in flames."
BakedInMN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantSchnauzer View Post
Anyways, on a technical note, if you areblowing fuses then there is too much current/draw for the 20 amps (which is actually quite a bit as regular household plugs are 13amps.....)
20 amps is nothing for an automotive circuit. There are plenty of circuits that are fused at higher current draws than that and most circuits are designed to carry double the current the fuse will blow at. Comparing a 12VDC circuit to a 120VAC circuit is silly. The household plug may only be rated for 13 amps, but it can carry over 6 times the power of a 12VDC source at 20 amps.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RB-10rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Princeton area in new jersey
Posts: 1,598
Buy an inverter 12volts dc to 120ac just make sure the wattage is high enough to handle the peak watts on the air compressor
RB-10rubicon is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
2JeepsThatRun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 737
Where's the plug in the back?
__________________
2000 TJ 2.5l, 2" OME Lift, Winch, Adjustable Control Arms, Rokmen Gas Tank Skid, Warn Sliders, CCFabs 3" Hood-lines, Engine Skid, Rock Crawler Bumper Front & Rear
Ohio River Four Wheelers- www.ORFW.org
2JeepsThatRun is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
2JeepsThatRun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 737
Oh nevermind I didn't realize it was in a JK.
__________________
2000 TJ 2.5l, 2" OME Lift, Winch, Adjustable Control Arms, Rokmen Gas Tank Skid, Warn Sliders, CCFabs 3" Hood-lines, Engine Skid, Rock Crawler Bumper Front & Rear
Ohio River Four Wheelers- www.ORFW.org
2JeepsThatRun is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
Ah, good old old Ohms law where volts/resistance = current (amps).
Or (volts * amps) = power (watts) . Loss to Joule heating and that's why transmission lines run at 700Kv. I^2 * R, all that fun stuff from university physics. Melting crap (which is what you might do if you swap it out with a 30 amp fuse.) Always a good idea to keep the power outside of the cab. That's why you use fuses and relays. Short of the blower motor, you don't find a lot of higher current lines in an interior wiring harness.

__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
blown , fuses , tire pressure

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC