Broken Manual Shifter - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
chidychi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Unhappy Broken Manual Shifter

I had to bring my month old 2012 Rubicon in for repairs today.
The shifter rod broke on Friday June 15th.
I've put on about 3500Km, I haven't even made it to my first oil change.

I popped off the shifter portion of the console to try to figure out what happened. Basically there are two shifter boots. A leather one that is viewable from the cab, and a rubber one that separates the outside (beneath the Jeep) from the inside of the centre console. There is a rod coming out of the manual transmission. This is solid and seems fine. The shifter's rod slips into this other rod; most likely using a coupling of some sort. The coupling appears to have split or sheared or something. I couldn't tell as it is all within the rubber boot.

I turned it in and expect warranty to cover this repair.

Here is a video (sorry about the orientation) of the shifter. You can see the shifter hitting the dash and the centre console. You will also see that I can twist the shifter over 360 degrees


chidychi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidychi View Post
I had to bring my month old 2012 Rubicon in for repairs today.
The shifter rod broke on Friday June 15th.
I've put on about 3500Km, I haven't even made it to my first oil change.

I popped off the shifter portion of the console to try to figure out what happened. Basically there are two shifter boots. A leather one that is viewable from the cab, and a rubber one that separates the outside (beneath the Jeep) from the inside of the centre console. There is a rod coming out of the manual transmission. This is solid and seems fine. The shifter's rod slips into this other rod; most likely using a coupling of some sort. The coupling appears to have split or sheared or something. I couldn't tell as it is all within the rubber boot.

I turned it in and expect warranty to cover this repair.

Here is a video (sorry about the orientation) of the shifter. You can see the shifter hitting the dash and the centre console. You will also see that I can twist the shifter over 360 degrees

If you've done torn it apart yourself, they may not cover it because you tampered with it. Just something to consider.

I'm in agreement with you, it should be covered, but just sayin'...

Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
chidychi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
If you've done torn it apart yourself, they may not cover it because you tampered with it. Just something to consider.

I'm in agreement with you, it should be covered, but just sayin'...
I hear you.
I only unclipped a few plastic tabs to prop up the portion of the console where the cup holders are.
I was showing my friend how loose the shifter was... pulled up, and completely separated the two rods. I needed to prop up the console to align the two rods again, or I would have had to tow it back to the dealer.
It's no worries though... I just got a call from the dealer who said its a warranty job.
The weird part is that I have never heard of anything like this happening before; let alone on a brand new Jeep.
The mechanics gave the "What the hell would cause that to happen" look when I showed them the problem.
They ended up ordering a new assembly. I'll find out tomorrow what happened.
chidychi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidychi View Post
I hear you.
I only unclipped a few plastic tabs to prop up the portion of the console where the cup holders are.
I was showing my friend how loose the shifter was... pulled up, and completely separated the two rods. I needed to prop up the console to align the two rods again, or I would have had to tow it back to the dealer.
It's no worries though... I just got a call from the dealer who said its a warranty job.
The weird part is that I have never heard of anything like this happening before; let alone on a brand new Jeep.
The mechanics gave the "What the hell would cause that to happen" look when I showed them the problem.
They ended up ordering a new assembly. I'll find out tomorrow what happened.
Glad they covered it for ya. What happened just seems really out of the ordinary.
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
chidychi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
Glad they covered it for ya. What happened just seems really out of the ordinary.
No doubt! I looked online for any similar problem, and there doesn't seem to be anyone out there that experianced this.
I figure its either:
  1. A missing part (highly unlikely)
  2. A defective part (something happened during manufacturing that rendered the part useless and was installed anyway)
I'll find out tonight what the dealership thinks. They had to order in a new shifter....

Cheers
chidychi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
This just happened to my "mostly new" Wrangler Sport. It's a 2011, bought it with 3k miles, it's now at about 17k. Just drove in to work & noticed it was "jiggly" when I left later I could hardly find 1, 3, & 5. Had to have it towed to the dealer.
Nwhit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
keschete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 522
Come on, tell the truth.....you guys have been drag racing those beasts.....

J/J that actually happened to my last Z28 2000 model, beat on the thing so hard the shifter broke. We put in an aftermarket short shifter. Drag racing will do that.

They should take care of that, but if you show up later with a burnt up clutch they may get suspicious.
__________________
2013 JK Rubicon
2006 SRT 10, 2002 Z06
keschete is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jo3_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 117
This dudes got a broken rod with a twisted knob!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Let us know what the cause was when you figure it out.
jo3_h is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo3_h View Post
This dudes got a broken rod with a twisted knob!

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Let us know what the cause was when you figure it out.
Ouch! that sounds painful. Hope it's just limited to 2012s!
damndirtydog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,840
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Sounds like the weld broke at the bottom of the lever where it is attached to the coupling.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
chidychi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Sounds like the weld broke at the bottom of the lever where it is attached to the coupling.
That's what the dealer told me... "weld came undone".
Seems very odd for that to happen.
chidychi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,840
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidychi View Post
That's what the dealer told me... "weld came undone".
Seems very odd for that to happen.
The odds are pretty slim. Might be your turn to win the lottery!
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidychi View Post
That's what the dealer told me... "weld came undone".
Seems very odd for that to happen.
Welders get hangovers, too.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
chidychi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

Welders get hangovers, too.
Hey fair enough. Figured that would be all automated but I suppose its not. If that's the only defect I'll be happy to take it.

I think I must have blown all my luck winning the broken weld.... the lottery isn't paying off

chidychi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
brand new , broke , manual transmission , shifter

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC