Buying a Wrangler! (probably) - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
darioism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36
Smile Buying a Wrangler! (probably)

Just got back from the dealership so I could check out a 2014 in person and ask my lists of questions. Test drive scheduled for next week. Pretty excited! Pretty expensive too...

I got a ton of questions answered by clicking around the forums, and tons more new questions I didn't know I had. You guys (and gals) are awesome, and thorough!

Here's what I'm thinking as far as trim and options. It would need to be a road Wrangler, so the 3.21 with Track-Lock seems to make sense. I know the hardcore enthusiasts may scoff at that, but better I get a Jeep than anything else! Plus this might be my gateway Jeep...

2014 Wrangler Sahara (2-door)
  • Billet Silver
  • Leather seats
  • 6-speed manual
  • 3.21 Trac-Lock
  • Uconnect 730N
  • Connectivity Package
  • Black Freedom Top
  • A/C with auto control
  • Side airbags

What do you think? Am I missing anything important?

I'd probably have to buy new considering the options I want. What has the lead time been like for factory orders? They say 6-8 weeks but is that realistic?

Any advice on getting the dealership to cut me a break? I feel like I have little leverage since Wranglers are selling so well. What kind of fees should I expect?

Thanks all!

darioism is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 27
Best thing you can do to get a good deal is buy at the end of the month.

volleyholic is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 82
I would get heated seats over leather seats.

If I did it again I would get the 3.73 rear end versus the 3.21, but I didn't do any research when I bought my Jeep and the Jeep I wanted was available (with the 3.21).
the_saint is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
mikedboyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 359
Depending on where you live, I'd recommend heated seats and/or remote start. Calm patient negotiating on your part should get you at least 1% below invoice, that's pretty standard country-wide. I got the 3.73 (with the auto), but from my test drives and what I've read, I wouldn't get the 3.21 .
__________________
2014 Copperhead JKU Sport S Auto, Hard top, Limited Slip, Rubicon Tires and Wheels,
Welcome Dist Grabars, Fortin Remote Start, Marker Light Turn Signals, AntennaX 24" CB, Rear Headrest Mod, Grill Inserts, Door Handle and Step Entry Black Trim, Peterson LED Headlights


Jeep JKU - bring on the Zombies ......
mikedboyd is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
trailless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 560
I would also get the 3.73.
trailless is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,966
congratulations....Wrangler is a GREAT choice......
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
bushey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 154
I agree with the others, go with the 3.73.
__________________
2014 JKUS Copperhead
3.73, connectivity, side air bags, RBZ-430 (non-nav), Premium Soft Top, 2.5" TF Coil Lift, Monster TB and Front Lower CA's, LT285/70R17 Toyo Open Country II's on Fuel Trophy's 17x8.5", LOD Full Width Front and Rear Bumpers with Tire Carrier, Goodridge Stainless Brake Lines
bushey is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
aJKRr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillspasco, FL
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioism View Post
Just got back from the dealership so I could check out a 2014 in person and ask my lists of questions. Test drive scheduled for next week. Pretty excited! Pretty expensive too...

I got a ton of questions answered by clicking around the forums, and tons more new questions I didn't know I had. You guys (and gals) are awesome, and thorough!

Here's what I'm thinking as far as trim and options. It would need to be a road Wrangler, so the 3.21 with Track-Lock seems to make sense. I know the hardcore enthusiasts may scoff at that, but better I get a Jeep than anything else! Plus this might be my gateway Jeep...

2014 Wrangler Sahara (2-door)
  • Billet Silver
  • Leather seats
  • 6-speed manual
  • 3.21 Trac-Lock
  • Uconnect 730N
  • Connectivity Package
  • Black Freedom Top
  • A/C with auto control
  • Side airbags

What do you think? Am I missing anything important?

I'd probably have to buy new considering the options I want. What has the lead time been like for factory orders? They say 6-8 weeks but is that realistic?

Any advice on getting the dealership to cut me a break? I feel like I have little leverage since Wranglers are selling so well. What kind of fees should I expect?

Thanks all!
Having just been through the process of deciding what to order, I would make these two observations:

• I ordered the 430N rather than the 730N, since I couldn't see the difference between the 2 being worth the several hundred dollars more that they charge for the 730N—if somebody knows better, please chime in.

• Yes, Wranglers are selling well ("selling like weed at a Bob Marley concert" was a great phrase I read recently)—but if you join Tread Lightly @ the $100 level (make sure your dealer participates in that program first) then you can get your Wrangler @ 1% below invoice...and they're only allowed to charge a $75 dealer prep fee vs. the $400-$600 that is so common today.
__________________
There is only one justification for having sinned, and that is to be glad of it. —H. L. Mencken
my 2014 JKR: Amp'd, 6 spd, connect. group, 430N, prem. soft top, tinted windows, side bags

aJKRr is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #9
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 12,275
Here are some posts I wrote about getting a good deal on a jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
You may have seen one of my posts in the Club Willys thread. I definitely recommend emailing all dealers for their best OTD price, rather than wasting your time driving from place to place. I've done this on every car I've bought since 2000, and it's always worked out well.

Make sure you also email all the dealerships within X hours of your home. I was willing to drive to Houston, and that was where I found the best price. Once I had the quote I was able to take it back to my local dealer, who beat it by $100. If he hadn't beat it, I was willing to drive the two hours for another three percent under invoice. When my deal was done I was at 5% plus $100 under invoice, which is the same as Employee Pricing plus $100. I was VERY happy with that deal.

Here are a couple of the posts I've written...

Ordering Process, basics.

How to buy a vehicle and hopefully not get ...

Club WILLYS



Good luck!
Also, make sure you test drive a jeep with the radio you're looking to buy and one with the stock 130. Make sure the differences in sound quality at highway speed is something you're happy with. I know you won't get a dealer to take the freedom panels out or open the soft top, but roll the windows down, so you get some idea of what it will sound like with the top open/off. Lots of people are not happy with any of the stock sound systems, including the alpine upgrade.

Hope this helps!
__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - TeraFlex Monster Trackbar/Adjustable LCAs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper - Crown Stainless Brake Lines - MORE Dead Pedal - Pioneer 4000NEX - Polk DB651/6501
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is online now   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
darioism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36
Luckily the leather seats come heated.

Wow, I thought the 3.73 was a no-brainer, but looks like I'll have to revisit. This car will probably see a lot of weekend highway driving, and no daily commute. (I live right next to the train in NYC.) Will I see much difference in mileage? Is 6th gear high enough where I'm not taxing the engine if I'm doing 90 for extended periods? (Not that I ever would, officer.)

I hear that buying at the end of the month is better... but that's putting three weeks on top of a 6-8 week waiting period. I may go clinically insane. How much of a difference are we talking about here?

Thanks for the links and the point about the radio StarBrite - I'll keep that in mind when I go for a test drive next week. I'll email my local dealerships. Trick is that I have no car at the moment to go to them with!

Thanks for the feedback so far!
darioism is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
YooperBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 79
My understanding is that some dealers have "used up" all of their orders, so check with your dealer to make sure you can order your Jeep before deciding to go that route.

As far as options, it depends on what you want. I wanted something to be
"JEEP" and not like a car, so I went with few options except for the hard top and a 24S package. I don't have auto door locks, for example- but where I live we don't even lock our houses let alone our cars, and I didn't think auto door locks would be needed in a car that doesn't have the doors on sometimes! It may be far different where you live.

I'm not a gadget person, so I didn't need any connectivity package. But I did want slightly bigger than stock wheels, so I ordered those.

My package came to $26,500 and change.
YooperBrew is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 66
personally, I would stay away from the manual transmission. the 5-speed auto is far superior gearbox unless you just crave rowing through the gears. The 5-speed and 3.21 rear axle is a good combination.
Not sure where the OP lives, but there are hundreds of Sahara JK's on dealer lots. Ordering one is not really necessary in most localities.
DBJeep is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
marslim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,585
Images: 3
3.21's will be fine if you KNOW you will never go with bigger/heavier tire combos in the future. stock for stock you will get slightly better fuel mileage with the 3.21's, but IF you think you might at some point want to go to a bigger tire I'd say go with the 3.73's... As for getting the auto over the 6ps, well I've got the 6sp and feel that an auto would take away some of the joy and character my Jeep currently has, it all depends on your needs and driving style I guess. Personally I enjoy shifting my own gears
__________________
"Opinions are like like a**holes everyone has one"
2012 jk 6sp
35" Hankook MT's, 2.5" Rock Krawler max travel, Rancho 9000's, bushwacker flatties, F&R Rubi Dana 44's w RCV's, chromoly shafts, 5.13 gears, AEV snorkel, Spod, Ace sliders & rear bumper, skid plates, Fab fours diff covers, RR front bumper, Q9000s winch
marslim is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JKSeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 26
Images: 1
If you keep it, you'll want the 3.73 someday. if you sell it, I'm pretty sure it will bring a better resale value.
__________________
"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees." - Stonewall Jackson

2014 Flame Red Rubicon
Black Freedom top
JKSeeker is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Deuce88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 212
Mine is exactly the same as yours except I have the auto 5 speed and the 130 head unit!
I love the 3.21 gearing and am averaging 20+ mpg after only 1250 miles. Enjoy!
Deuce88 is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioism View Post
Just got back from the dealership so I could check out a 2014 in person and ask my lists of questions. Test drive scheduled for next week. Pretty excited! Pretty expensive too...

I got a ton of questions answered by clicking around the forums, and tons more new questions I didn't know I had. You guys (and gals) are awesome, and thorough!

Here's what I'm thinking as far as trim and options. It would need to be a road Wrangler, so the 3.21 with Track-Lock seems to make sense. I know the hardcore enthusiasts may scoff at that, but better I get a Jeep than anything else! Plus this might be my gateway Jeep...

2014 Wrangler Sahara (2-door)
  • Billet Silver
  • Leather seats
  • 6-speed manual
  • 3.21 Trac-Lock
  • Uconnect 730N
  • Connectivity Package
  • Black Freedom Top
  • A/C with auto control
  • Side airbags

What do you think? Am I missing anything important?

I'd probably have to buy new considering the options I want. What has the lead time been like for factory orders? They say 6-8 weeks but is that realistic?

Any advice on getting the dealership to cut me a break? I feel like I have little leverage since Wranglers are selling so well. What kind of fees should I expect?

Thanks all!
DO NOT get 3.21s...trust me, don't do it. 3.73s at a minimum. 3.21s don't belong anywhere near a wrangler.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
George Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 981
Ditto on the 3.73s. 3.73s and a manual will be way better than 3.21s
__________________
2010 JK, Red Rock Crystal, 6 speed manual, Ripp supercharger, 4.56 gears, OX lockers with electric actuators, Rugged Ridge XHD front and rear bumpers, Warn M5000 winch, Rugged Ridge Side Armor Guards, Rugged Ridge Front Skid Plate, Rugged Ridge Evaporator Skid Plate, M.O.R.E. Oil Pan & Transmission Skid Plate
George Ross is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Commodore Perry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioism View Post
Luckily the leather seats come heated.

Wow, I thought the 3.73 was a no-brainer, but looks like I'll have to revisit. This car will probably see a lot of weekend highway driving, and no daily commute. (I live right next to the train in NYC.) Will I see much difference in mileage? Is 6th gear high enough where I'm not taxing the engine if I'm doing 90 for extended periods? (Not that I ever would, officer.)

I hear that buying at the end of the month is better... but that's putting three weeks on top of a 6-8 week waiting period. I may go clinically insane. How much of a difference are we talking about here?

Thanks for the links and the point about the radio StarBrite - I'll keep that in mind when I go for a test drive next week. I'll email my local dealerships. Trick is that I have no car at the moment to go to them with!

Thanks for the feedback so far!
90 mph?!?! Technically the jeep will do 90 (top speed is 99 I think) but the "handling", "aerodynamics", and brakes are not conducive for sustained speeds like that. Braking from 70mph is over 200 ft. From 90 it would be much longer.
__________________
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
- Doc Brown, Back to the Future
Commodore Perry is online now   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeeptjduner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 700
I agree with many others about the 3.73 gears. It seems like they would still do pretty good in the mpg with a 6 speed. What is the difference between 430N and 730N, besides price? Do you see yourself wanting the Max Tow Package?
__________________
2014 JKURX
3" Mopar Stage 3
18" Jester w/ Federal Couragia 35" tires
jeeptjduner is online now   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #20
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 12,275
Max tow can be had much cheaper if you just buy the hitch and wiring harness off amazon ($60-75) and install it yourself. Only issue would be is if the OP has a place he can install it. Living in NYC, he may not have space.

It's literally four bolts to install it. Save your money for other mods.
__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - TeraFlex Monster Trackbar/Adjustable LCAs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper - Crown Stainless Brake Lines - MORE Dead Pedal - Pioneer 4000NEX - Polk DB651/6501
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is online now   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:20 PM   #21
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Front Royal, VA
Posts: 2,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
Max tow can be had much cheaper if you just buy the hitch and wiring harness off amazon ($60-75) and install it yourself. Only issue would be is if the OP has a place he can install it. Living in NYC, he may not have space. It's literally four bolts to install it. Save your money for other mods.
Don't forget the Max Tow includes upgrade to 3.73 gears, it's not just the hitch. Now, you can still save money by ordering the hitch you described and getting the 3.73's from the factory as a standalone option.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
AEV 2.5XT lift, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood, Warn 9.5cti-s, Teraflex carrier/hinge, Yukon 4.56 gears
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Plant City, FL
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Perry View Post
90 mph?!?! Technically the jeep will do 90 (top speed is 99 I think) but the "handling", "aerodynamics", and brakes are not conducive for sustained speeds like that. Braking from 70mph is over 200 ft. From 90 it would be much longer.
I have first hand knowledge that the Jeeps can do 90 - they can even get up over 100 (I live in Germany, so it was perfectly legal). Gas gauge was dropping faster than the speedometer was going up on the last few mph though. Only did it briefly just to see if it would do it - I wouldn't want to drive that speed in a Jeep for any sort of distance. But it was surprisingly stable at that speed...
__________________
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error...

2014 JK Willys, Granite, manual, half doors, AC, and that's all
(Ordered: 3/14/14; VIN: 4/9; Lots of stuff: 4/9 to 6/9; Delivered into my anxious hands: 6/10)
shedendblue is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
darioism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36
I'm still pondering the axle ratios... I'm thinking that if going with the 6-speed, it has wide enough gearing that the axle ratio may not matter as much. Here's what I found on gearing, let me know if inaccurate:

Automatic:
1st 3.59
2nd 2.19
3rd 1.41
4th 1
5th 0.83

Manual:
1st 4.46
2nd 2.61
3rd 1.72
4th 1.25
5th 1
6th 0.797

At 70 MPH with 32" tires in respective top gears:
Automatic:
3.21: 1959 RPM
3.73: 2276 RPM

Manual:
3.21: 1881 RPM
3.73: 2186 RPM

What do you find is your most comfortable cruise speed?

jeeptjduner: From what I'm seeing, the difference between the 430N and the 730N is that the 730N has voice command and dead reckoning, and the GPS is by Harmin. The 430N's GPS is by Garmin. Don't know if that's all worth $800. More here.

All said... I'm at least confident in the fact that Wranglers hold their value so well, if I make any mistakes I can do it all over next year and not lose too much.
darioism is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 AM   #24
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Front Royal, VA
Posts: 2,234
The price difference between 430 and 730 isn't really $800 when you figure in the included Bluetooth phone and streaming on the 730 that the 430 does not have. Also the connectivity package on the 730 is about 350 cheaper because the Bluetooth is already built in. That makes the actual difference more in the $500 range.

In addition, the one person who replied in that thread you linked is incorrect about voice control of the nav and other features. The 730 will do this and it's built in, the 430 can not do this, even if you add connectivity.

Finally another difference I didn't see in that thread is the split screen display that is only on the 730. I can have the radio info on one side of the screen, and my nav map/turn info on the other half which is how I keep it all the time. I had the older version of the 730 in my old JK, and got it again this time, which I've been happy with.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
AEV 2.5XT lift, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood, Warn 9.5cti-s, Teraflex carrier/hinge, Yukon 4.56 gears
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Commodore Perry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedendblue View Post
I have first hand knowledge that the Jeeps can do 90 - they can even get up over 100 (I live in Germany, so it was perfectly legal). Gas gauge was dropping faster than the speedometer was going up on the last few mph though. Only did it briefly just to see if it would do it - I wouldn't want to drive that speed in a Jeep for any sort of distance. But it was surprisingly stable at that speed...
Can and should are different things. If the OP is looking for a vehicle to keep up with the fast lane in heavy east coast NYC area traffic the wrangler is the wrong vehicle. Braking distance alone makes that dangerous. Wide open highway is one thing, heavy traffic you're asking for trouble.
__________________
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads"
- Doc Brown, Back to the Future
Commodore Perry is online now   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeeptjduner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Muskegon
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
The price difference between 430 and 730 isn't really $800 when you figure in the included Bluetooth phone and streaming on the 730 that the 430 does not have. Also the connectivity package on the 730 is about 350 cheaper because the Bluetooth is already built in. That makes the actual difference more in the $500 range. In addition, the one person who replied in that thread you linked is incorrect about voice control of the nav and other features. The 730 will do this and it's built in, the 430 can not do this, even if you add connectivity. Finally another difference I didn't see in that thread is the split screen display that is only on the 730. I can have the radio info on one side of the screen, and my nav map/turn info on the other half which is how I keep it all the time. I had the older version of the 730 in my old JK, and got it again this time, which I've been happy with.
My Rubi X has 430N, and I do have Bluetooth and streaming (if you mean by that streaming music from my phone). It also has voice control, but I have not tried it with Nav, I guess I'll try just for fun to see if it works or not. I do use voice control to make phone calls with the Bluetooth.
__________________
2014 JKURX
3" Mopar Stage 3
18" Jester w/ Federal Couragia 35" tires
jeeptjduner is online now   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
LIGX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by darioism View Post
Luckily the leather seats come heated.

Wow, I thought the 3.73 was a no-brainer, but looks like I'll have to revisit. This car will probably see a lot of weekend highway driving, and no daily commute. (I live right next to the train in NYC.) Will I see much difference in mileage? Is 6th gear high enough where I'm not taxing the engine if I'm doing 90 for extended periods? (Not that I ever would, officer.)

I hear that buying at the end of the month is better... but that's putting three weeks on top of a 6-8 week waiting period. I may go clinically insane. How much of a difference are we talking about here?

Thanks for the links and the point about the radio StarBrite - I'll keep that in mind when I go for a test drive next week. I'll email my local dealerships. Trick is that I have no car at the moment to go to them with!

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Looks like you're in NYC. I'm on Long Island. What I did is write an email to all the dealers I was interested in and solicited a price from them after I described the exact vehicle I was looking for. I made sure that all of the dealers knew they were competing for my business. It actually worked out really well, I saved a bunch of money and the dealers were beating each other up and all I did was watch and wait. Good Luck
LIGX is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #28
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 12,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
Don't forget the Max Tow includes upgrade to 3.73 gears, it's not just the hitch. Now, you can still save money by ordering the hitch you described and getting the 3.73's from the factory as a standalone option.
Thanks for the help, jwilson! I can't believe I forgot that part!
__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - TeraFlex Monster Trackbar/Adjustable LCAs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper - Crown Stainless Brake Lines - MORE Dead Pedal - Pioneer 4000NEX - Polk DB651/6501
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is online now   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
darioism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Perry View Post
Can and should are different things. If the OP is looking for a vehicle to keep up with the fast lane in heavy east coast NYC area traffic the wrangler is the wrong vehicle. Braking distance alone makes that dangerous. Wide open highway is one thing, heavy traffic you're asking for trouble.
It won't be a daily driver, and certainly no commuter traffic. This would be for weekends to see family and friends, chores, and hobbies such as mountain bike riding and maybe camping.

What turned me on to a Wrangler first was the idea that it would be good for getting around the city. Easy to park with those short overhangs, and won't get as many dings and dents with all the rubber. Then I realized how versatile it was and kinda got hooked! I'm a tinkerer and a gadget guy so the options are endless. Much easier to repair than a Japanese sports car. The Freedom Top sealed the deal for me.

I think I'll stick with the 730N. I want to at least be sure the right wiring is there (steering controls, Sirius antenna, etc.) if I want to eventually swap it out for an aftermarket head unit.

And yeah, good idea LIGX, I'll email around to a few dealerships and see what I can get from them.

Thanks!!! Keep the advice pouring in if you have more!!
darioism is offline   Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Bbannongmu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Earth
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
Here are some posts I wrote about getting a good deal on a jeep.

Also, make sure you test drive a jeep with the radio you're looking to buy and one with the stock 130. Make sure the differences in sound quality at highway speed is something you're happy with. I know you won't get a dealer to take the freedom panels out or open the soft top, but roll the windows down, so you get some idea of what it will sound like with the top open/off. Lots of people are not happy with any of the stock sound systems, including the alpine upgrade.

Hope this helps!
I test drove a Jeep with the Freedom panels out, doors off and I took it offroad on the test drive. The sales guy looked nervous but he ended up with a sale -just not the one I drove because I wanted a back top, not colored matched. I have the 430 and it's ok. The 730 let you speak your navigation commands plus phone and radio. The 430 only let's you speak radio and phone commands.

Welcome to the addiction my friend!

__________________
"Trust me, I'm with the government..."

2013 JKU Sahara - 2inch Rancho Sport "Plus", 295/70R18 Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX and some other good stuff
Bbannongmu is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
factory , freedom top , sahara , silver

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC