Cannot stress Poly-Fil in sound bar enough - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
jmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtime

Well sort of, what you want to use is the pillow stuffing, so what's inside the pillow. Once you get the pillow stuffing which is a white fluffy synthetic strings. Take the speaker out of the sound bat with a number 10 torx bit or driver. Once it's out fill up all voids inside the bar. Do not stuff the area the speaker sits in since you need room for it to go back. Then just repeat on the other side. It's real quick but I have a huge bag of pillow stuffing so I'm not dealing with the pillow end of it.
Wow..thanks man thats cool...

jmud is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Well, I just finished this mod and I have one word- "WOW". I bought a big body length pillow from Ocean State for $10, not knowing how much I would need and needing enough for two Jeeps. I only needed about 1/5 of the pillow stuffing to fill the cavity in the sound bar. I think buying a small $4 pillow from walmart would be more than enough for others considering this. I had been meaning to take off and paint the ring around the speaker cover to match my painted vent bezzles I did a while back, so I hit those up while I was at it. The actual mod took all of 10 minutes, mine took longer with two coats of paint and two of clear coat and a little taping of the speaker covers.

Anyways, skeptical, I screwed it all back together, fired up some Beastie Boys and put the fade just one click to the rear and Pow! The speakers are alive! Very impressive improvement. I shut the doors and windows and let it rip, and you can actually feel bass on the top of your head and the music gets >LOUD< right over the driver and passenger head rests. I hopped out and sat in the back and it was just as impressive for the rear seat passengers. I have two little kids, and don't really rock too loud with them in the car, but when I am flying solo with the top off, I like to turn it up a bit, and previously found the sound rather meager and modest. I can't wait to for some topless weather...

It had struck me previously how little sound seemed to come out of these, even with the fade adjusted towards the back. I was surprised as the speaker is relatively close to the passenger's and drivers head, but not much seemed to come out. I figured it was some redundant safety thing so the driver doesn't deafen himself, as not many vehicles have speaker mounted from above.

Best $10 I have spent on my Jeep yet, thanks for putting me onto this New2012Jeep- flat out awesome.


gluestick is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,418
Haha, That is awesome! I can't take credit for it, but I reposted just that it has to be done seeing all the posts about it. It really woke my sound system up too.

Glad it worked great for ya!

I have been looking for music to put on MP3 for my drive to work tomorrow, lol.
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #64
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick
Well, I just finished this mod and I have one word- "WOW". I bought a big body length pillow from Ocean State for $10, not knowing how much I would need and needing enough for two Jeeps. I only needed about 1/5 of the pillow stuffing to fill the cavity in the sound bar. I think buying a small $4 pillow from walmart would be more than enough for others considering this. I had been meaning to take off and paint the ring around the speaker cover to match my painted vent bezzles I did a while back, so I hit those up while I was at it. The actual mod took all of 10 minutes, mine took longer with two coats of paint and two of clear coat and a little taping of the speaker covers.

Anyways, skeptical, I screwed it all back together, fired up some Beastie Boys and put the fade just one click to the rear and Pow! The speakers are alive! Very impressive improvement. I shut the doors and windows and let it rip, and you can actually feel bass on the top of your head and the music gets >LOUD< right over the driver and passenger head rests. I hopped out and sat in the back and it was just as impressive for the rear seat passengers. I have two little kids, and don't really rock too loud with them in the car, but when I am flying solo with the top off, I like to turn it up a bit, and previously found the sound rather meager and modest. I can't wait to for some topless weather...

It had struck me previously how little sound seemed to come out of these, even with the fade adjusted towards the back. I was surprised as the speaker is relatively close to the passenger's and drivers head, but not much seemed to come out. I figured it was some redundant safety thing so the driver doesn't deafen himself, as not many vehicles have speaker mounted from above.

Best $10 I have spent on my Jeep yet, thanks for putting me onto this New2012Jeep- flat out awesome.

Awesome... Can't wait
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
jmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2012JEEP
Haha, That is awesome! I can't take credit for it, but I reposted just that it has to be done seeing all the posts about it. It really woke my sound system up too.

Glad it worked great for ya!

I have been looking for music to put on MP3 for my drive to work tomorrow, lol.
Did this on my jk,didnt seam to make much differance,,do i need to stuff the entire speaker bar or just around the speakers?
jmud is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmud

Did this on my jk,didnt seam to make much differance,,do i need to stuff the entire speaker bar or just around the speakers?
As far in as you can get it. Helps with road and wind noise also!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
jmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73

As far in as you can get it. Helps with road and wind noise also!
K,,thanks
jmud is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,418
yep, I stuffed a lot in tight towards the dome light, and then all the way til I was at the speaker, and around it.

was not sparse usage of the poly.
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #69
Newb
 
rodd5012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Just done. 15 min job. Certainly more guts in the low end sound.
rodd5012 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #70
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,260
The poly deadens the sound within and cleaner/louder sound comes out. Its called backwave I believe.
I already had decent speakers in my Tj along with an amp, poly helped a little but Im not surprised how well it worked for you guys.
Even stock speakers should not sound that bad. I'm assuming they're the same in the front? Anybody know if our fronts have baffles? If not Polly would also work great.
Better yet.... Thick foam... Try that and get back to me
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
The poly deadens the sound within and cleaner/louder sound comes out. Its called backwave I believe.
I already had decent speakers in my Tj along with an amp, poly helped a little but Im not surprised how well it worked for you guys.
Even stock speakers should not sound that bad. I'm assuming they're the same in the front? Anybody know if our fronts have baffles? If not Polly would also work great.
Better yet.... Thick foam... Try that and get back to me
I opened up the access panel on the side of the dash on the driver side and did not see how the poly would stay in there, looks like it would just fall out. Could use a baffle of sorts. As it is, I did bother adding any fill.
gluestick is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
I opened up the access panel on the side of the dash on the driver side and did not see how the poly would stay in there, looks like it would just fall out. Could use a baffle of sorts. As it is, I did bother adding any fill.
I think people actually take the speaker boxes out and then stuff behind the speakers.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,418
Hadn't thought about the dash speakers, since I didn't upgrade them. I will try that when I take dash apart, ugh.
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:26 PM   #74
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73

I think people actually take the speaker boxes out and then stuff behind the speakers.
Yep yep...

All I did--with limited Space--with my Tj fronts was stuff heavy foam all around the speaker. Helps direct the sound out at you rather than lost in the dash.

If the JK doesn't use a baffle try foam.. Trust me
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
Dumb question but since our jeeps are exosed to heat during the summer, especially with the tops down hitting the sound bear, will the poly I'll affect heat dissipation from the speaker's coil?
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #76
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador
Dumb question but since our jeeps are exosed to heat during the summer, especially with the tops down hitting the sound bear, will the poly I'll affect heat dissipation from the speaker's coil?
Even if so... Would not worry about it.
Polly is used in sub boxes all the time.
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #77
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
I know, but more so in applications that aren exposed to the sun. With the top down the sound bar is totally exposed and gets the brunt of the heat. Especially if left topless in a parking lot all day. I don't know if the poly fill will prevent the speakers from dispersing the heat from the coils. It seems like an easy great mod that I also wan to do, I just figured that I would ask about the heat.
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #78
pavement princess

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 41,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador
I know, but more so in applications that aren exposed to the sun. With the top down the sound bar is totally exposed and gets the brunt of the heat. Especially if left topless in a parking lot all day. I don't know if the poly fill will prevent the speakers from dispersing the heat from the coils. It seems like an easy great mod that I also wan to do, I just figured that I would ask about the heat.
Well- I had amped alpines in my TJ.
Never had any problems
__________________
3.5' lift, 37x12.5x17 MTR. Rock Krawler custom length X-Factor arms,Teraflex,Synergy,Rancho 5000X shocks. Krawl Offroad
- General lift discussion thread. Have a question, need help, issues, selecting a kit, ask here
- My 2007 2 Door Build
Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #79
Jeeper
 
LilYeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida U.S.A
Posts: 2,591
I have a set of Eclipse 3 way components powered by an eclipse ea4000 400w amp in my TJ here in the florida sun where I hardly ever have the top on and no issues yet (knock on wood) but I dont expect there to be any. Have been doing this for years in similar applications and no probs at all yet.
__________________

Random Guy: "Is there anywhere that thing cant go?"
Me: "Yea, past a gas station..."

Build thread: My Lil' Yeller Jeep, Paracord Grab handles ~ how to make your own
Keep on Jeepin on!
LilYeller is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #80
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,596
Sounds good. Thanks guys.
Matador is offline   Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I know, but more so in applications that aren exposed to the sun. With the top down the sound bar is totally exposed and gets the brunt of the heat. Especially if left topless in a parking lot all day. I don't know if the poly fill will prevent the speakers from dispersing the heat from the coils. It seems like an easy great mod that I also wan to do, I just figured that I would ask about the heat.
I don't even think it would be a factor. If anything, more insulated instead of just a black plastic box. Coax don't get too hot anywhooo
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #82
Jeeper
 
keith6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 68
Filled my sound bar and sub this weekend and it really is amazing how much better the Infinity system sounds. I think I will wait now on replacing speakers for a bit. Want to hear it with top off first.
keith6 is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #83
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 58
What do you guys think about using spray in foam filler (like "Great Stuff" from Ace Hardware) instead of Poly Fill? I'm thinking of going this route, but since it will be very permanent thought wise to ask. Great Thead, sound quality has been one gripe all along and it's sounding easilty remedied.
Hatt-Attack is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #84
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,418
Great to hear it worked Keith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt-Attack View Post
What do you guys think about using spray in foam filler (like "Great Stuff" from Ace Hardware) instead of Poly Fill? I'm thinking of going this route, but since it will be very permanent thought wise to ask. Great Thead, sound quality has been one gripe all along and it's sounding easilty remedied.
I was going to do this, but figured i would try the poly fil first. Poly fil worked great, so I decided not to. I would think if you filled it toward the dome light, might work, not sure.
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #85
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 58
Roger that. I just goggled this phenomena (Poly Fill) and it appears to be what you are "suppose" to use in for this type of application. That extra pillow in the bottom of the linen closet doesn't have prayer.
Hatt-Attack is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #86
Jeeper
 
I8up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 520
I am all over this when i get home...My wife will be wondering where certain pillows went for years to come...
__________________
2011 2 door JK, manual, soft top...Getty Up
I8up is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #87
Jeeper
 
New2012JEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NB, FL
Posts: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt-Attack View Post
Roger that. I just goggled this phenomena (Poly Fill) and it appears to be what you are "suppose" to use in for this type of application. That extra pillow in the bottom of the linen closet doesn't have prayer.
haha, good luck, it's easy. At first I filled loosely, and went back in and packed fairly firm, i would go for that first time around if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8up View Post
I am all over this when i get home...My wife will be wondering where certain pillows went for years to come...
__________________
2014 JKUS
OME 2" HD, MB 72 15's on 33" Goodyear DT's, Synergy Metal Grab Handles, ORO Center License Plate Bracket with LED Lights, Vector Offroad LPD, TrukLite Heads
New2012JEEP is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #88
Jeeper
 
real4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dalton, OH
Posts: 372
^^ that's funny. just take a little bit from each one and she'll never notice...lol. ^^
__________________

-Tom

'11 Wrangler JK Sahara Edition
'11 Kawasaki Brute Force 650
'01 Honda Recon 250
real4x4 is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #89
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RB-10rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Princeton area in new jersey
Posts: 1,911
I just bought a bag from acmoore 32oz under 10 bucks im exvited to hear the diffrence
RB-10rubicon is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #90
Jeeper
 
IP0VV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 9,134
Let me get this straight

1. Remove speaker
2. Stuff poly-fil towards dome light
3. Fill until slight pressure is required to put speaker back in place
4. Reattach speaker

__________________
Zack
IP0VV3R is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thump sound from rear when making turns?? Sunny D JK General Discussion Forum 10 04-01-2011 06:14 PM
VDP overhead Sound Pods ddolan TJ General Discussion Forum 0 03-06-2011 09:20 AM
Loud Whining Sound! Help Please! G54 TJ Tech Forum 14 01-02-2010 04:36 PM
Acceleration Sound – Normal? MacApple JK Tech Forum 10 01-17-2009 11:56 AM
New sound under front end branty TJ Tech Forum 1 04-11-2008 08:49 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC