Changed my oil for first time... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Changed my oil for first time...

So I changed my oil for the first time on my 2010. It was much easier than I thought it would be, everything is so easy to reach.

When I was filling it back up with new oil, instead of putting 6 quarts, I accidentally put in 6 litres. It's not much more than the 6 quartz but now I'm concerned is it going to cause any damage? Should I drain it out and do it again? This time with the appropriate quantity. Or can I leave as is?

Thanks in advance.

UJJK007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
check the dipstick... if you're above the max fill line drain the difference.

__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
It is above the max fill line. It runs fine what am I risking breaking by leaving excess oil in the engine?
UJJK007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
Variety of things, just loosen the plug you familiarized yourself with earlier and let drip overnight.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
You should be fine, just drain it until proper level is reached.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post
Variety of things, just loosen the plug you familiarized yourself with earlier and let drip overnight.
That doesn't make sense, why let it drip over night? He did't over fill that much.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: central pa mountains
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJJK007 View Post
So I changed my oil for the first time on my 2010. It was much easier than I thought it would be, everything is so easy to reach.

When I was filling it back up with new oil, instead of putting 6 quarts, I accidentally put in 6 litres. It's not much more than the 6 quartz but now I'm concerned is it going to cause any damage? Should I drain it out and do it again? This time with the appropriate quantity. Or can I leave as is?

Thanks in advance.
Not much more? Its 10.8oz more
ztman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
That doesn't make sense, why let it drip over night? He did't over fill that much.
10oz. And because it drips slow. If you pull the pug, you'll probably let too much out and make a huge mess. If you loosen and let drip, takes longer no mess.

OP: use a can opener to cut the top off a 12oz, set that in your oil catch and let drip until close to full.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00g7 View Post
10oz. And because it drips slow. If you pull the pug, you'll probably let too much out and make a huge mess. If you loosen and let drip, takes longer no mess.

OP: use a can opener to cut the top off a 12oz, set that in your oil catch and let drip until close to full.

Yeah I think I'll try that. Don't really wanna drain the whole thing and put new oil in again
UJJK007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 1,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJJK007 View Post
Yeah I think I'll try that. Don't really wanna drain the whole thing and put new oil in again
Next time just remember to pour out 10oz from a bottle before going to town.
__________________
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,548
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Just change the filter. This will drop the oil level without having to drain any.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
One more question for you guys...

Doesn't the oil filter take up some volume of oil? So if I added about half a quart of extra oil doesn't the oil filter offset some of that? Since I put the oil filter in with no oil in it?
UJJK007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJJK007 View Post
One more question for you guys...

Doesn't the oil filter take up some volume of oil? So if I added about half a quart of extra oil doesn't the oil filter offset some of that? Since I put the oil filter in with no oil in it?
When Jeep specified the capacity, this was already accounted for...
Definitely lose some of the oil that you added or you may see long term consequences. Over-filling is a very bad thing.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJJK007 View Post
It is above the max fill line. It runs fine what am I risking breaking by leaving excess oil in the engine?
Yes you are. I have personally seen a motor hydrolock from excess oil. If you overfilled, drain it, and refill properly. 6 quarts is about 5.7 liters, so you ovefilled by a little bit. You will probably be ok, but I wouldn't want to personally run with an overfilled pan. The oil will froth (lose lubricity) and under the right conditions, hydrolock is possible. The vehicle I mentioned that hydrolocked from excess oil was overfilled by half a quart.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
overblown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 648
Just drain out the extra 11oz. Dripping sounds like a pain in the ass that would take forever. It will make no more of a mess than when you changed it the first time. Your hand with just get oily. Consider it penance for your oversight. Bet you won't make the same mistake twice!
__________________
2001 Corvette Z06
1970 Monte Carlo
2003 Wrangler X 4.0
2012 Land Rover LR4
2006 Harley Davidson Sportster Custom
2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon
overblown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Houston View Post
When Jeep specified the capacity, this was already accounted for...
Definitely lose some of the oil that you added or you may see long term consequences. Over-filling is a very bad thing.

Ha... okay so I should stop looking for ways to get out of doing it!
UJJK007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Scott in Houston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston (duh)
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJJK007 View Post
Ha... okay so I should stop looking for ways to get out of doing it!
Yes you should!

You will regret it later if you try and ignore this and just pretend it will be ok.
Scott in Houston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,548
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJJK007 View Post
Ha... okay so I should stop looking for ways to get out of doing it!
Just replace the filter, run engine, and re-check oil level.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 532
This is where owning a MityVac fluid evacuation system really comes into another use. I use mine all the time changing fluids in all sorts of things around the house. One good use is removing that little bit too much. Another is measuring exactly how much came out in the first place.

__________________
2010 Wrangler JKU
cphilip is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC