Changing from tow straps to recovery straps - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Abdul-Hakeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 236
Changing from tow straps to recovery straps

Hello,

Everyone where I live uses tow straps for recovery. I only noticed "recovery straps" being sold this year. I bought one to try and spread its usage throughout the land.

I have a few questions: Which is better, to loop the strap through itself to connect to the stock JK recovery points, or to use D-rings/shackles in them?

I have a pair of shackles, they sit fairly well on the rear recovery point, BUT they sit poorly on the front point, meaning they don't have enough freedom of movement to sit in a natural way.

Also, I have to pull a lot of 2wd Toyota and Nissan pick-ups out of soft sand, and to do this there's no tow point, we just find something underneath attached to the frame. Often there is a fairly sharp edge involved. Is it necessary to use an oversize tow strap with hooks in this case despite the flaws? I've never seen one of the oversize (six inches wide) straps or hooks break here even in very hard pulls, but it's not too late for a first time.

Thank you.

Abdul-Hakeem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
OH9JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 738
Always with loops never hooks. I have seen way too many failures and hooks go flying. People get hurt or worse killed!

Shackles should only be used on the frame or tow points. Never to lengthen two straps. A wooden dowel, magazine, towel will allow you to undo the straps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L1030254.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	105691  

__________________
Crowded elevators smell different to midgets.
OH9JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Exclamation

Just picked up a recovery strap today to go with my tow strap in the recently established "recovery" bag.
It's surprising that each time I've gone with someone else to buy them they've reached for the one with the metal hooks!

Metal hooks are bad news if you do any research.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem View Post
Everyone where I live uses tow straps for recovery. I only noticed "recovery straps" being sold this year. I bought one to try and spread its usage throughout the land.

I have a few questions: Which is better, to loop the strap through itself to connect to the stock JK recovery points, or to use D-rings/shackles in them?
Using tow straps for recovery is very dangerous. A hook on the end of a strap can turn into a lethal missile if the strap comes back at you. Definitely worth trying to spread the word.

I don't know what the stock recovery points on Jeeps in Saudi Arabia are like...open hooks, like here in the U.S.? Like this?





If so, it's fine to just hook the recovery strap to those. However, I would definitely NOT attach a shackle to one of the stock recovery points if there's a chance the two might become disengaged during the recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem View Post
I have a pair of shackles, they sit fairly well on the rear recovery point, BUT they sit poorly on the front point, meaning they don't have enough freedom of movement to sit in a natural way.
That statement worries me. See the 2nd paragraph above. If a recovery strap with a shackle on the end pulls loose from the open recovery hook on a Jeep, it'll go right through just about anything in it's path. Just use the recovery strap and the tow hook...no shackle, unless you can lock it into a closed loop on the bumper, like this...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem View Post
Also, I have to pull a lot of 2wd Toyota and Nissan pick-ups out of soft sand, and to do this there's no tow point, we just find something underneath attached to the frame. Often there is a fairly sharp edge involved. Is it necessary to use an oversize tow strap with hooks in this case despite the flaws? I've never seen one of the oversize (six inches wide) straps or hooks break here even in very hard pulls, but it's not too late for a first time.
I don't have any experience with the extra wide straps. Maybe someone else will chime in and give you some advice on that. Still, I personally wouldn't be comfortable with metal hooks on the end of any kind of strap used to haul a vehicle out of deep sand, mud, etc.

One other thing you should do for safety when freeing another vehicle is to use a damper on the winch line or recovery strap. A blanket, overcoat, long canvas bag filled w/sand, etc draped across the cable or strap will lessen the whiplash effect if the line breaks.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 02:48 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Abdul-Hakeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 236
Wow, our stock towpoints are completely different, they are closed and don't have a lot of space. I'll experiment with different methods of connecting the loop ends without a shackle or with one if absolutely necessary, and post pictures of anything that seems questionable. I really want to spread the recovery strap here, it may save some people because they are almost totally unknown at this time.
Abdul-Hakeem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Abdul-Hakeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 236
Thanks to all for excellent, detailed advice as always, you are gentlemen.
Abdul-Hakeem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdul-Hakeem View Post
Wow, our stock towpoints are completely different, they are closed and don't have a lot of space. I'll experiment with different methods of connecting the loop ends without a shackle or with one if absolutely necessary, and post pictures of anything that seems questionable. I really want to spread the recovery strap here, it may save some people because they are almost totally unknown at this time.
If the recovery points on your Jeep are closed, it's perfectly fine to use a shackle.

I just thought you might have been using them on the OPEN points, such as we have here.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it a pain to stretch the back end WHITE-TJ General Jeep Discussion 9 04-22-2012 10:23 AM
Power to the stereo problems JLaw1443 YJ Tech Forum 19 03-22-2012 08:46 AM
Good way to hydrolock JK8 ESP JK General Discussion Forum 24 03-21-2012 02:18 PM
New to WF EC-130TJ WF New Member Check In 9 03-19-2012 09:20 AM
New jeepy to the mix Rebel_Ryders_Offroad Michigan Jeep Forum 0 03-17-2012 08:12 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC