Checklist for complete softtop - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 32
Checklist for complete softtop

Purchasing a complete softop off craigslist, what components do I need to make sure he has?

Thanks,
Ed

erose100 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by erose100
Purchasing a complete softop off craigslist, what components do I need to make sure he has?

Thanks,
Ed
What year?
Not sure if there is any different parts.

Fabric/header
Door surrounds
Side brackets x2
Windows x3
Plastic tailgate clamps x2
Rear tail gate bar
Hardware/bow system

Used or new?

Think that is it

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
kungfucracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

What year?
Not sure if there is any different parts.

Fabric/header
Door surrounds
Side brackets x2
Windows x3
Plastic tailgate clamps x2
Rear tail gate bar
Hardware/bow system

Used or new?

Think that is it
Also make sure the straps that run basically from back bow to speaker bar is intact as well I found that my top did not function as well without them.
kungfucracka is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
dvdsjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NePa
Posts: 590
The roll bar pivot brackets are always forgotten. They are a pita to remove and its easier to remove the screws and pull the top away and leave them attached to the bar. Make suretheir there!
dvdsjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdsjk
The roll bar pivot brackets are always forgotten. They are a pita to remove and its easier to remove the screws and pull the top away and leave them attached to the bar. Make suretheir there!
Yep. That's what I did.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 32
so just to recap:

Fabric/header
Door surrounds
Side brackets x2 (what does this look like)
Windows x3
Plastic tailgate clamps x2
Rear tail gate bar (what does this look like)
Hardware/bow system
Roll Bar pivot brackets (what are these, or what do they look like)
straps that run basically from back bow to speaker bar is intact (how do i check for this)

Im getting a '10 softop for a '09, never used. The guy got the dual top group.

Thanks,
ED
erose100 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by erose100
so just to recap:

Fabric/header
Door surrounds
Side brackets x2 (what does this look like)
Windows x3
Plastic tailgate clamps x2
Rear tail gate bar (what does this look like)
Hardware/bow system
Roll Bar pivot brackets (what are these, or what do they look like)
straps that run basically from back bow to speaker bar is intact (how do i check for this)

Im getting a '10 softop for a '09, never used. The guy got the dual top group.

Thanks,
ED
The pivot brackets are the side brackets I mentioned. It is a bracket with 2 pivoting arms that the frame mounts to.

Tail gate bar is long and slides into the bottom of the window to secure it in place.

If used the straps should already be in place. They support the rear bow like you said.

Model year 2010 might be a little different though. Not sure when the cable system was implemented or what it even does.

Best I could describe
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
kungfucracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

The pivot brackets are the side brackets I mentioned. It is a bracket with 2 pivoting arms that the frame mounts to.

Tail gate bar is long and slides into the bottom of the window to secure it in place.

If used the straps should already be in place. They support the rear bow like you said.

Model year 2010 might be a little different though. Not sure when the cable system was implemented or what it even does.

Best I could describe
What he said is correct,

The tailgate bar will and is there to keep the rear window from flapping. The window itself slides into the bar and attaches to the body/tub clips.

The straps I was refering to run from the back top bar inside along the inside of the top to the bar that is rite above the sound bar. It helps keep tension on the top and pulls the back tight (no flapping).

The pivot points are attached to roll bar that's what makes its fold up and down very key to make sure there there.

Also dodnt forget the door moldings they go around door to secure the top.
kungfucracka is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 32
The door moldings are just the same as door surrounds correct?

Thanks alot!
erose100 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
kungfucracka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by erose100
The door moldings are just the same as door surrounds correct?

Thanks alot!
Yes correct.

kungfucracka is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does a softtop fit in the back unassembled? erose100 JK General Discussion Forum 16 01-20-2012 05:16 PM
Softtop protection wolfsbone01 TJ General Discussion Forum 1 08-31-2011 08:41 AM
Freedom Hardtop / Sunrider Softtop alligatorpeng JK General Discussion Forum 6 05-11-2009 10:46 AM
hardtop to softtop conversion pking911 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 07-29-2008 10:22 AM
Factory softtop or factory hardtop....which one?? Jeep2175 TJ General Discussion Forum 6 04-18-2008 11:37 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC