dealer issues - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Madwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbus GA
Posts: 33
Question dealer issues

i went to get my first oil change and have nitrogen put in my tires yesterday at the dealership i bought my jeep from. i bought a black 2010 JKU sport automatic 4x4 with the mopar black appearnce package. it had 265 miles on it and im the first owner. i received 4 free oil changes from the dealership and when the "change oil soon" chime began, so did the tire pressure low indicator. i have just hit 2600 miles and the guy at the dealership said

"jeep does not use synthetic oil and they dont use break in oil. they also can go 6k miles before needing the oil changed and the 2011 and 2012 can now go 8k miles between changes."

my questions:
1. does jeep recommend using conventional oil and changing at 6k mile intervals?

2. the service guy said that only chrysler cars with the srt packages use synthetic?

3. if the change oil soon light comes on, should you change oil soon or should i ignore it for an additional 3500 miles?

i feel worried about how i need to maintain my new jeep when i hear mixed info and the most odd comes from the dealership that im trusting to service it.....? HELP PLEASE

Madwick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 369
What does your owner's manual say? That's the official word.

Otherwise, the responses will be as varied as the stars. Some stick to the old schedules- some push the envelope with synthetics.

With today's formulations and filtration- you can go longer than ever before.

XPADREX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,829
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwick View Post
i went to get my first oil change and have nitrogen put in my tires yesterday at the dealership i bought my jeep from. i bought a black 2010 JKU sport automatic 4x4 with the mopar black appearnce package. it had 265 miles on it and im the first owner. i received 4 free oil changes from the dealership and when the "change oil soon" chime began, so did the tire pressure low indicator. i have just hit 2600 miles and the guy at the dealership said

"jeep does not use synthetic oil and they dont use break in oil. they also can go 6k miles before needing the oil changed and the 2011 and 2012 can now go 8k miles between changes."

my questions:
1. does jeep recommend using conventional oil and changing at 6k mile intervals?

2. the service guy said that only chrysler cars with the srt packages use synthetic?

3. if the change oil soon light comes on, should you change oil soon or should i ignore it for an additional 3500 miles?

i feel worried about how i need to maintain my new jeep when i hear mixed info and the most odd comes from the dealership that im trusting to service it.....? HELP PLEASE
You don't need nitrogen in your tires, especially on a JK. It doesn't have high performance tires. Just run the proper pressure and your light won't come on. I didn't even run nitrogen in my M3. If you have to pay for it, it's just another way for the dealer to get additional $. As far as the oil changes, you actually don't have to use synthetic. Some do for a variety of good reasons, but I won't in my JK because the engine isn't built with tolerances that would require it. It's like using premium fuel in it. It won't hurt it but you're paying extra for something that a JK can't utilize. In my "opinion", it's more important to change your oil more often with these engines to remove contaminants than to let it go 6,000 or more miles with synthetic. I changed the oil on my 10 Rubi at the first 1,500, 3,000 and then 3,000 or at least twice per year after that. Yeah, I know it's old school. When the oil change light goes on you should have the oil and filter changed. Chrysler "recommends" going no longer than 6,000 or 8,000 miles. That is for "normal" types of driving conditions. They don't indicate to wait for 6 or 8000 miles. If the conditions are more severe you should change it more often. I don't depend on a computer logarithym to tell me what I should do and when. Give this a thought, given the same set of circumstances, would you rather purchase my Rubi used getting the oil changes I indicated or another JK that waited until 6 or 8000 + miles. Do what you feel is comfortable but don't wait past 6000 and/or twice a year. Again, I believe it's more important for these engines to run cleaner oil given the track record with some engines that have higher than normal oil consumption. My Rubi doesn't burn any. Coincidence, maybe. The engine was also not assembled in Mexico. Just sayin.
kik is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
What he told you was correct. However those numbers are not to be exceeded. Did you not read the manual yourself? If you are getting 4 free oil changes, why do they care when you want to get them? You are definitely not getting synthetic with your "free" oil changes.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
I just went and changed my own oil today, with synthetic. With the jeep as my dd, was this wasted cash? I was hoping to change every 8k or so, but is it better just to use the cheapo regular oil and change every 3? i thought changing every 3 was something jiffy lube told everyone to steal their money. doing 4-5 oil changes a year seems pretty crazy for a brand new 2011.
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Vyper340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 257
5-8k with Mobil 1 depending on driving conditions. Low end if dusty/dirty or heavy/hard driving. In the end the question comes down to how long to you want the engine to last. It will 100k easy with minimal changes and regular oil which is more than most original owners will do according to the statistics.
__________________
Current Land Toy's:
2012 Rubi Unlimited
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - 620hp - Foe Sale
Vyper340 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Madwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Columbus GA
Posts: 33
i havent gone through my manual yet. i was just trying to see what others are doing/hearing.
Madwick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwick View Post
i havent gone through my manual yet. i was just trying to see what others are doing/hearing.
For the 3.8 engine, the manual recommends 6 months or 8,000 miles MAX, whichever comes first under NORMAL driving conditions. More severe driving requires more frequent oil changes.
__________________
2012 Rubicon, Call of Duty MW3, #1850
Previously: '11 Sport, '03 Rubicon, '02 X, '95 Sahara, '93 SE and '89 S
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
wrangler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 827
I have a 2010 as well and I'm doing what the manual says. Oil changes every 6k.

Its my DD. Its not driven in extreme conditions. Only been off road once so far (sad, I know).
__________________
2010 Black Sahara
Rugged Ridge XHD Front & Rear Bumper, Rugged Ridge Side Armor
wrangler0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 38
No one reads the manual, that's why they don't give you a hardcopy anymore. If you are going to go with a synthetic, go with a 100% synthetic like Valvoline Synpower and not a fake syn like Mobil 1 which has some dino oil in it.

As far as interval, I think 3k is the min and 6k the max to play it very safe. I have gone longer depending on driving conditions. Am I an expert? No. But as a grease monkey I did oil changes (with lubes) back in high school.
HaulP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler0 View Post
I have a 2010 as well and I'm doing what the manual says. Oil changes every 6k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulP View Post
No one reads the manual, that's why they don't give you a hardcopy anymore.
As far as interval, I think 3k is the min and 6k the max to play it very safe.
Actually, it says 8,000 miles or 6 months MAX under NORMAL driving conditions.
I realize I'm the exception; but, I enjoy reading the owner's manual. I guess I have an empty life.
__________________
2012 Rubicon, Call of Duty MW3, #1850
Previously: '11 Sport, '03 Rubicon, '02 X, '95 Sahara, '93 SE and '89 S
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
wrangler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by walc

Actually, it says 8,000 miles or 6 months MAX under NORMAL driving conditions.
I realize I'm the exception; but, I enjoy reading the owner's manual. I guess I have an empty life.
Do you have a 2012? That has gone up to 8k with the new engine.

My 2010 manual says the max is 6k.
__________________
2010 Black Sahara
Rugged Ridge XHD Front & Rear Bumper, Rugged Ridge Side Armor
wrangler0 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Vyper340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulP View Post
No one reads the manual, that's why they don't give you a hardcopy anymore. If you are going to go with a synthetic, go with a 100% synthetic like Valvoline Synpower and not a fake syn like Mobil 1 which has some dino oil in it.

As far as interval, I think 3k is the min and 6k the max to play it very safe. I have gone longer depending on driving conditions. Am I an expert? No. But as a grease monkey I did oil changes (with lubes) back in high school.
? What are you talking about ? Mobil 1 synthetic is 100% synthetic and I've been using it for more than 30 years. It is standard in EVERY high performance super car from the factory so I'm not sure where you are getting your info. It is factory standard in Mercedes AMG, BMW M cars, all Porsche's, Ferrari's, Corvette's, etc. So it must be good enough for the best cats in the world I would guess that a Jeep engine would be ok too.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...d_Mobil_1.aspx
__________________
Current Land Toy's:
2012 Rubi Unlimited
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - 620hp - Foe Sale
Vyper340 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyper340

? What are you talking about ? Mobil 1 synthetic is 100% synthetic and I've been using it for more than 30 years. It is standard in EVERY high performance super car from the factory so I'm not sure where you are getting your info. It is factory standard in Mercedes AMG, BMW M cars, all Porsche's, Ferrari's, Corvette's, etc. So it must be good enough for the best cats in the world I would guess that a Jeep engine would be ok too.
I've heard that mentioned before, it was in some oil website. Not sure if was in the article itself or a posters reply.
I'm clueless to what it meant. Long time mobile 1 fan but using Amsoil now.

Fake synthetic-- Isn't synthetic "fake" anyhow?
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Vyper340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 257
Lol! Fake=synthetic. Lol
__________________
Current Land Toy's:
2012 Rubi Unlimited
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - 620hp - Foe Sale
Vyper340 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Vyper340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I've heard that mentioned before, it was in some oil website. Not sure if was in the article itself or a posters reply.
I'm clueless to what it meant. Long time mobile 1 fan but using Amsoil now.

Fake synthetic-- Isn't synthetic "fake" anyhow?
I use the Amsoil syn in my high performance marine engines and drives. It does a great job.
__________________
Current Land Toy's:
2012 Rubi Unlimited
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - 620hp - Foe Sale
Vyper340 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #17
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,790
Chrysler recommends oil changes at 6,000 and 8,000 for newer models...not sure when they changed it. I'm sure daggo will be quick to chime in to correct me on this but I say this on every oil debate. When Chrysler puts together a maintenance schedule and publishes it in the literature supplied with every vehicle....that....is a recommendation about what to do. Following it will keep your warranty intact. It will keep your engine running for a very long time. Decreasing the interval will not add to the value of your vehicle at trad-in. It may extend the life of the engine but not likely by too much. By the time the engine needs attention due to oil issues, the value of your jeep will be that of junker resale or what we call it in the northeast...a winter beater.

I do my oil changes every 6K miles and would do it at every 8K miles if it were a 1012 with the new recommended interval of 8K.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
So then explain to me what changed in the 3.8 for the "recommendation" to change by 2000 miles? You can repeat the same thing over and over but that does not make it a fact. Show me one place in your manual where it say the XX mileage is RECOMMENDED for oil changes.

Below is what is written in the 2009 manual.

Change your engine oil more often if you drive your
vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first.

Notice that the word used is EXCEED. You also keep mentioning warranty. Using the max interval will not guarantee warranty coverage. If you are driving under extreme conditions and waiting until the max interval, you could indeed be denied warranty coverage if the failure was deemed to be lack of maintenance. That is very easy to determine based on the condition of the oil.

I have no problem with people determining what interval is best for them. My problem is when you give false information based on your interpretation that the listed maintenance schedule means it is a recommendation.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
I do my oil changes every 6K miles and would do it at every 8K miles if it were a 1012 with the new recommended interval of 8K.
Don't you have the same 3.8 engine that is in the 2011? Explain your logic.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler0 View Post
Do you have a 2012? That has gone up to 8k with the new engine.

My 2010 manual says the max is 6k.
I have a 2011 w/ 3.8L engine.
The 2011 owner's manual says:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first.

You are correct. The 2010 owner's manual, for the same engine, says:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first.


__________________
2012 Rubicon, Call of Duty MW3, #1850
Previously: '11 Sport, '03 Rubicon, '02 X, '95 Sahara, '93 SE and '89 S
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Don't you have the same 3.8 engine that is in the 2011? Explain your logic.
Tom,

What you don't seem to get is that the average driver does exactly what the service schedule recommends....oil changes at the recommended interval...according to the schedule to maintain the warranty. You don't think that they would publish a schedule if they didn't recommend it do you?

I know that you will do oil changes earlier for whatever reason that you want just as others will. But to keep your warranty intact, you'll need to do at least what they recommend....or better.

I'm not sure why you have so much trouble getting your arms around this logic. It is not really that big....
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #22
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
Tom,

What you don't seem to get is that the average driver does exactly what the service schedule recommends....oil changes at the recommended interval...according to the schedule to maintain the warranty. You don't think that they would publish a schedule if they didn't recommend it do you?

I know that you will do oil changes earlier for whatever reason that you want just as others will. But to keep your warranty intact, you'll need to do at least what they recommend....or better.

I'm not sure why you have so much trouble getting your arms around this logic. It is not really that big....
Show me the word "recommend". I cut and pasted exactly what was written in my manual. The wording was very clear. You know very little about the warranty process. The condition of the oil will immediately tell them if it was changed at a proper interval. If the oil shows that it was not changed often enough and caused a part to fail, your warranty claim will be denied.

The best method would be to get your oil tested at the interval you choose to change your oil at, as long as you normally drive under the same conditions. Knowing that very few people would do that, they publish a number that should not be exceeded. If you want to invent a recommendation, I would put forth that if they are saying to not exceed that number, they are in fact recommending that you change it PRIOR to that number.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
As far as preventative maintenance, oil changes are cheap. I don't care if I can stretch out the oil change interval, I do not....Mobil one and a filter, every 3-3.5k....it's my money and that's how I do it.....

My JK runs as well now as the day I took delivery. (53k)

It's the dirt in oil, not always the oil breaking down......
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #24
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,790
BTW, for the sake of those interested....for whatever reason....possibly wanting to over-service the jeep???.......your dealer typically sets the max interval between changes in the computer to 3,000 miles on the 6,000 mile max interval jeeps. It wouldn't surprise me if they set it to 4,000 on the new 8,000 mile max interval jeeps. The "change oil" light illuminates at 500 miles before the set point. So if it is set to 3,000 miles it will illuminate at 2,500 miles unless it is triggered earlier by the computer algorithm. Mine is set to 6,000 miles it has tripped faithfully at 5,500 and it gets changed at 6,000 +/- how long it takes to get it into the dealer.

With this interval on the average vehicle it will make over 200,000 miles before engine work needs to be done due to wear and tear....unless there is some defect that was put there during the time of manufacture. This is what keeps engineers up at night...I'm sure. If they get this wrong and there is a rash of vehicles giving up the ghost at 100,000 miles and it points back to Chrysler, think of how difficult it would be to sell vehicles.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the cost of upkeep is factored into many purchase decisions. It is what helps sell Toyotas and Hondas. They started the trend of making ownership costs easier on owners and due to bankruptcy dangers, the US brands have begun to copy this customer satisfaction drive.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #25
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,829
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
So then explain to me what changed in the 3.8 for the "recommendation" to change by 2000 miles? You can repeat the same thing over and over but that does not make it a fact. Show me one place in your manual where it say the XX mileage is RECOMMENDED for oil changes.

Below is what is written in the 2009 manual.

Change your engine oil more often if you drive your
vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first.

Notice that the word used is EXCEED. You also keep mentioning warranty. Using the max interval will not guarantee warranty coverage. If you are driving under extreme conditions and waiting until the max interval, you could indeed be denied warranty coverage if the failure was deemed to be lack of maintenance. That is very easy to determine based on the condition of the oil.

I have no problem with people determining what interval is best for them. My problem is when you give false information based on your interpretation that the listed maintenance schedule means it is a recommendation.
I'm with daggo. Exceed obviously means max. Why would you want to wait for the maximum situation for "normal" conditions. A bit off road, a bunch of stop and go, some high temp situations would bring you to below max. Why not err on the side of caution and do it a bit sooner. GM used to recommend for my 60's era GTO's to change it at 6,500. We all knew better than that. Does uncle Chrysler really know better. Too many contaminants by the time you reach 6,000. Trading in you get a rock bottom price anyway and I've yet to see that a dealer really cares about when a vehicle was particularly serviced because most times they're wholesaled out. I think a private buyer would care. These opinions can go on and on but, putting nitro in non performance tires/vehicles has to be a crock.
kik is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #26
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
BTW, for the sake of those interested....for whatever reason....possibly wanting to over-service the jeep???.......your dealer typically sets the max interval between changes in the computer to 3,000 miles on the 6,000 mile max interval jeeps. It wouldn't surprise me if they set it to 4,000 on the new 8,000 mile max interval jeeps. The "change oil" light illuminates at 500 miles before the set point. So if it is set to 3,000 miles it will illuminate at 2,500 miles unless it is triggered earlier by the computer algorithm. Mine is set to 6,000 miles it has tripped faithfully at 5,500 and it gets changed at 6,000 +/- how long it takes to get it into the dealer.

With this interval on the average vehicle it will make over 200,000 miles before engine work needs to be done due to wear and tear....unless there is some defect that was put there during the time of manufacture. This is what keeps engineers up at night...I'm sure. If they get this wrong and there is a rash of vehicles giving up the ghost at 100,000 miles and it points back to Chrysler, think of how difficult it would be to sell vehicles.

Also, in case you haven't noticed, the cost of upkeep is factored into many purchase decisions. It is what helps sell Toyotas and Hondas. They started the trend of making ownership costs easier on owners and due to bankruptcy dangers, the US brands have begun to copy this customer satisfaction drive.
Not mine.

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “CHANgE OIL” message will flash
in the instrument cluster odometer for approximately
12 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate
the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil
change indicator system is duty-cycle based, which
means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate
dependent upon your personal driving style.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Show me the word "recommend". I cut and pasted exactly what was written in my manual. The wording was very clear. You know very little about the warranty process. The condition of the oil will immediately tell them if it was changed at a proper interval. If the oil shows that it was not changed often enough and caused a part to fail, your warranty claim will be denied.

The best method would be to get your oil tested at the interval you choose to change your oil at, as long as you normally drive under the same conditions. Knowing that very few people would do that, they publish a number that should not be exceeded. If you want to invent a recommendation, I would put forth that if they are saying to not exceed that number, they are in fact recommending that you change it PRIOR to that number.
If you keep records of every oil change...and it is easy for me, the dealer has all of that; I would defy Chrysler to deny my warranty request. I doubt they would do it because I followed what they recommended in their schedule like a religion. Not only do they have a schedule, they publish coupons that the dealer has to stamp when the maintenance is done. Why do they do this? I'd call that a recommendation. Your oil analysis is just as useless if you can't produce evidence of oil changes at; at least their recommended intervals.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
I have complete records of all my changes. Again, I challenge you to show me the word. I have no problem with your method. My problem is that you are telling people that the "recommended" number is xxxx miles when it is not. Your interval may be fine for your drving. That doesn't mean it's the same for everyone.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by walc View Post
I have a 2011 w/ 3.8L engine.
The 2011 owner's manual says:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever
comes first.

You are correct. The 2010 owner's manual, for the same engine, says:

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals
exceed 6,000 miles (10 000 km) or six months, whichever

comes first.


Does anyone know why Jeep increased the interval by 2000 miles, from 2010 to 2011, for the same engine?
__________________
2012 Rubicon, Call of Duty MW3, #1850
Previously: '11 Sport, '03 Rubicon, '02 X, '95 Sahara, '93 SE and '89 S
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Vyper340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Va Beach
Posts: 257
In addition to dirt it's also the fuel contaminating the oil, moisture and condensate that when mixed turns acidic on the metal, metal from engine wear, heat and viscosity that affect how long oil lasts. Synthetic or not some of these factors are what drives the need to change the oil.

__________________
Current Land Toy's:
2012 Rubi Unlimited
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
2011 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo - 620hp - Foe Sale
Vyper340 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trektop NX Issues / Resolutions? theotis JK General Discussion Forum 3 09-13-2011 08:11 PM
My dealer is driving me nuts!!! ShotgunRed218 JK General Discussion Forum 8 08-23-2011 08:55 AM
Looking to buy. Couple issues, need advice. frarmar General Jeep Discussion 0 06-27-2010 12:49 AM
Lifted driveline issues? GroundHawg JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-23-2010 05:05 PM
new fuel pump from dealer has different harness??? jsta6 YJ General Discussion Forum 1 05-19-2006 04:29 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:40 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC