I have seen various threads started requesting info on Decal/Sticker removal. Figured I would do a write-up on my removal experience to help anyone else out who might have questions.
I didn't see a write up on this already, but if there is one, I apologize.
What you'll need:
Gas, Goo Gone, or some other type of adhesive remover
Soap & Water
Sponge or whatever you wash your Jeep with
Wax or a Polish Spray
About 5 minutes of your time
Now, I have read and heard other people talking about using a heat gun or a blow dryer or leaving their Jeep out in the sun for a while to make the decal more pliable and easier to come off. When I did this yesterday morning, it was 57 degrees out and the Jeep was in the garage, no outside heat source was needed. I would agree that it would probably be a good idea for older decals, but if it has been on for less than a year, you should be fine.
Here is what i did (sorry no pictures) this was for the "Sport" sticker btw.
1. Started on the top left corner of the decal, using only my thumbnail, and gently picked at it until the triangle was large enough for me to pinch and pull with my index finger and thumb.
2. Once you get it to the point where you are able to pull at it, start off gently and pull at a slight downward angle until you get it to the point where you can just pull left to right. Keep slow, even pressure to help prevent tearing and decrease the amount of residue left behind.
3. Once the decal is off, take the microfiber cloth and add a little bit of whatever you are using for adhesive remover, I was out of Goo Gone, so I just used plain old regular Gasoline
. I added about a quarter sized amount of gas, and gently rubbed the residue, it basically came off the second the gas touched it. Make sure you get it all, otherwise dirt will stick to it and if you try to take it off then you will risk rubbing the dirt in, scratching the paint. Pay close attention to where the edge of the decal used to be.
4. Spray down the area you just used your adhesive remover on with some water, and wash it with some soap and your sponge
5. Dry it off and apply some wax or polish and repeat on the other side.
From start to finish it took me probably about 5 min or less for both sides, you wouldn't even know the decal was there.