Disabling certain things in a JK?? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
HAMMER1DOWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sunburst, MT
Posts: 282
Disabling certain things in a JK??

Hey ya'll, as I get more and more into wheelin I am lookin into little things to do before hittin the trail that can save me the headache later.
1) Disabling the airbags, I had a not so friendly encounter with a tree on a snowy trail recently and would like to not have my bags go off if it happens again a little worse next time.
2) Disabling the door ajar or lights on alarm when I am out there, The noise just gets to me like none other.

And unrealated,
3) how to re-attach the lock mechanism on the tail gate, I had a tow strap break trying to pull a buddy from a river and it shot back into my lift gate and put a couple beauty dents in ole hammer down and the lock "popped" out. It still works but would like to have it secured to the gate again. Can post a pic or two if needed.

Thanks tons,
Hammer

__________________
Machine guns get the job done, but us snipers do it with finesse!
HAMMER1DOWN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN View Post
Hey ya'll, as I get more and more into wheelin I am lookin into little things to do before hittin the trail that can save me the headache later.
1) Disabling the airbags, I had a not so friendly encounter with a tree on a snowy trail recently and would like to not have my bags go off if it happens again a little worse next time.
If your airbags deploy, then you needed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN View Post
2) Disabling the door ajar or lights on alarm when I am out there, The noise just gets to me like none other.
Disconnect the door harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMER1DOWN View Post
And unrealated,
3) how to re-attach the lock mechanism on the tail gate, I had a tow strap break trying to pull a buddy from a river and it shot back into my lift gate and put a couple beauty dents in ole hammer down and the lock "popped" out. It still works but would like to have it secured to the gate again. Can post a pic or two if needed.

Thanks tons,
Hammer
Can't help with this part.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
If your airbags deploy, then you needed them.



Disconnect the door harness.



Can't help with this part.
I don't agree. Airbag sensors aren't 100% accurate. If your rig slips off a rock, and slams from the BOTTOM, it can still trip a sensor and pop your airbags. It would be an extremely useful feature in a Jeep to be able to shut the airbags off while offroading...hell, do it like the electronic sway disconnects, and keep it under 15mph.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
Column and I/P airbags only deploy in a frontal crash (+- 30deg), typically at 12mph and above. Frontal crashes at 20mph and above typically the vehicle, jeep or car, is considered to be totaled.
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by stans1stjeep View Post
Column and I/P airbags only deploy in a frontal crash (+- 30deg), typically at 12mph and above. Frontal crashes at 20mph and above typically the vehicle, jeep or car, is considered to be totaled.
20mph? Dude, I need to show you some 60mph crashes that the insurance didn't want to total. A vehicle should not "total" at 30mph, it is just too low.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 246
Surely there is a fuse for the airbags - just pull it!
Don't have my jeep or the manual with me to check this.
__________________
Detonator Yellow CRD Unlimited
Aussie Jeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 1,638
LOL! X2 with Daggo66 on the airbags.
damndirtydog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
I Spent 31 years as a Chrysler engineer, 10 of them as a platform compliance manager. I've seen many crash tests at 30mph and above,as well as reál world after event analysis. The cost to repair a vehicle that had been in a crash greater than 20mph is more than the value of the cár.
__________________
NRA Life Member!
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
I don't agree. Airbag sensors aren't 100% accurate. If your rig slips off a rock, and slams from the BOTTOM, it can still trip a sensor and pop your airbags. It would be an extremely useful feature in a Jeep to be able to shut the airbags off while offroading...hell, do it like the electronic sway disconnects, and keep it under 15mph.

Really? Where exactly did you get that information from?
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Newb
 
Mako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 10
How a bout disabling the seat belt alarms.. I normally wear my belt, but if I decide not to id rather not listen to the constant ring of the alarm. I'm a slave to the seatbelt alarm!
Mako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
real4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Dalton, OH
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
How a bout disabling the seat belt alarms.. I normally wear my belt, but if I decide not to id rather not listen to the constant ring of the alarm. I'm a slave to the seatbelt alarm!
Easily done. Do a quick search...the instructions are on here somewhere. I did it. Takes less than a minute.
__________________

-Tom

'11 Wrangler JK Sahara Edition
'11 Kawasaki Brute Force 650
'01 Honda Recon 250
real4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,079
I agree with NOT disabling the air bags. While off road, you are more likely to have a situation where you need them. If you mis judge some rocks and slam into something, they could save your life.

Disabling the seat belt chime? That's just dumb. You should ALWAYS wear your seat belt on and off road. I worked as an EMT for 5 years and saw what happened to people that don't wear their seat belts. Many crashes you will walk away un-harmed if you were wearing your seat belt, get ejected and seriously injured or killed if you don't. Look at the 2012 rollover thread posted recently -- someone posted a video of a Jeep on a sand dune tumbling down and someone got ejected. They're just damn lucky the Jeep didn't roll on top of them.

I have the opposite thinking -- considering getting the 3 point restraints to provide more protection.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
C.L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North NJ
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Really? Where exactly did you get that information from?






Not saying it's common, but all three of those deployments were expensive mistakes by a system designed to err on the side of caution when protecting you.
C.L. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
Disabling safety systems is a very Darwinian idea. These systems are there to protect you and your passengers in the event of an accident, which can happen either on pavement or off. Just my .02.
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Grampie

WF Supporting Member
 
stans1stjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rochester, Mi
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post






Not saying it's common, but all three of those deployments were expensive mistakes by a system designed to err on the side of caution when protecting you.
Just a word of caution, two of thee three jeeps had aftermarket front bumpers, couldn't see the jeep in the third video. I'd be willing to bet that the front sensors were removed and the the airbag warning light was on or disabled. The airbag system is a complex system which is not easily tampered with and will produce undesirable results if it is tampered with. Again my .02.
stans1stjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Newb
 
Mako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking
I agree with NOT disabling the air bags. While off road, you are more likely to have a situation where you need them. If you mis judge some rocks and slam into something, they could save your life.

Disabling the seat belt chime? That's just dumb. You should ALWAYS wear your seat belt on and off road. I worked as an EMT for 5 years and saw what happened to people that don't wear their seat belts. Many crashes you will walk away un-harmed if you were wearing your seat belt, get ejected and seriously injured or killed if you don't. Look at the 2012 rollover thread posted recently -- someone posted a video of a Jeep on a sand dune tumbling down and someone got ejected. They're just damn lucky the Jeep didn't roll on top of them.

I have the opposite thinking -- considering getting the 3 point restraints to provide more protection.
I appreciate your concern for my safety.I understand the consequences of an MVA. I too work in the medical field (nurse). I simply asked how to disable the alarm. Never said that I wasn't going to wear my belt, but IF for any reason I decide not to wear it I don't want to listen to the chiming. I knew I was going to get some type of parental response for asking this, but there was no reason to say the question was dumb.
Mako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Mom sold the Jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 239
Look behind the glove box, my tj has 2 fuses labelled as air bag. Another fuse in there controls the interior lights/door chime. On my tj it's also easy to pop the door chime plunger stopper dealio in the door jamb and disconnect the wires. Just make sure to wrap them in electrical tape. Then pop the plunger back in place, unwired. Gotta do it on both sides. Could be different on JK. The particulars might be in the owner's manual.
Mom sold the Jeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #18
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post






Not saying it's common, but all three of those deployments were expensive mistakes by a system designed to err on the side of caution when protecting you.
The first was was a frontal collison.

The second was not an airbag deployment. Listen to what the spotter says. It was his fuel pump shutting down. Why the heck was his tires at full inflation?

The third one I cannot comment on because it is out of the camera shot.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
FiveBoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 252
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stans1stjeep View Post
Just a word of caution, two of thee three jeeps had aftermarket front bumpers, couldn't see the jeep in the third video. I'd be willing to bet that the front sensors were removed and the the airbag warning light was on or disabled. The airbag system is a complex system which is not easily tampered with and will produce undesirable results if it is tampered with. Again my .02.

Where are the front sensors in a JK? I thought you could install an aftermarket bumper and not affect the air bag system.
FiveBoro is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I appreciate your concern for my safety.I understand the consequences of an MVA. I too work in the medical field (nurse). I simply asked how to disable the alarm. Never said that I wasn't going to wear my belt, but IF for any reason I decide not to wear it I don't want to listen to the chiming. I knew I was going to get some type of parental response for asking this, but there was no reason to say the question was dumb.
how to turn off seatbelt chime
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
GreenRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveBoro View Post
Where are the front sensors in a JK? I thought you could install an aftermarket bumper and not affect the air bag system.
I've read that the airbag sensor on the JK is a digital accelerometer and is located somewhere in the center of the vehicle. Possibly under the center console. It is not located in or around the front bumper.

EDIT:

Just found this from a 2007 JK Service Manual posted on www.jkowners.com. Don't know if it applies to subsequent years, but it seems to imply there are other frontal impact sensors on the frontend of the 2007 JK (but not attached to the bumper).

Quote:
Two front impact sensors (1) are used on this vehicle, one each for the left and right sides of the vehicle. These sensors are mounted remotely from the impact sensor that is internal to the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC). Each front sensor is secured with a screw to the back of the front end module carrier on either side of the cooling module and inboard of the headlamp within the engine compartment.

The front impact sensors are electronic accelerometers that sense the rate of vehicle deceleration, which provides verification of the direction and severity of an impact. Each sensor also contains an electronic communication chip that allows the unit to communicate the sensor status as well as sensor fault information to the microprocessor in the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC).
__________________
2008 Natural Green JK Rubicon
GreenRubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Newb
 
Mako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
thank you .. i just figured it out right before reading this
Mako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #23
Newb
 
Mako's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 10
i figured it out, and if anyone is interested, for JK's

copied from owners manual


BeltAlert�� can be enabled or disabled by your authorized dealer or by following these steps:
NOTE: The following steps must occur within the first 60 seconds of the ignition switch being turned to the ON/RUN or START position. Chrysler Group LLC does not recommend deactivating BeltAlert��.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, and buckle the driver’s seat belt.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine), and wait for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn off.
3. Within 60 seconds of starting the vehicle, unbuckle and then re-buckle the driver’s seat belt at least three times within 10 seconds, ending with the seat belt buckled.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. A single chime will sound to signify that you have successfully completed the programming.
NOTE: Watch for the Seat Belt Reminder Light to turn on while the seat belt retracts and turn off while re- buckling the seat belt.
BeltAlert�� can be reactivated by repeating this procedure.
NOTE: Although BeltAlert�� has been deactivated, the Seat Belt Reminder Light will continue to illuminate while the driver’s seat belt remains unfastened.
Mako is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
Zed
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Zed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,468
Images: 3
Agree with not disabling the airbags. I'd rather take the slim chance they will deploy when i don't want them to over them not being able to deploy when I need them to any day. Just my two cents.
Zed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
rethyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: toronto
Posts: 60
while I understand why the OP might want to disable the airbags, I would advise against it solely on the fact that god forbid you run into a frontal collision on or off road. you will want to have the airbag save your face from impacting on the wheel and losing your front teeth. hasn't happened to me but just saying...
__________________
ordered on 02-13-2012:: 2012 JKR ( 430N+Uconnect, black hard top, 6speed )
picked up 04-07-2012:: aww giggidy...
mods so far: ACE rails / K&N drop in air filter
rethyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I appreciate your concern for my safety.I understand the consequences of an MVA. I too work in the medical field (nurse). I simply asked how to disable the alarm. Never said that I wasn't going to wear my belt, but IF for any reason I decide not to wear it I don't want to listen to the chiming. I knew I was going to get some type of parental response for asking this, but there was no reason to say the question was dumb.
I just don't understand why someone would want to turn it off. Why would you not want to wear a seat belt?

I won't let someone ride in my Jeep or any other vehicle if they're not wearing it. Likewise, I won't ride in a moving vehicle without one. I refused to ride in my boss's truck once because the seat belt didn't work. He asked if I don't trust his driving. I told him it's not about him, it's about everyone else on the road.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #27
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 7,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveBoro View Post
Where are the front sensors in a JK? I thought you could install an aftermarket bumper and not affect the air bag system.
You have to check with your aftermarket manufacture. I have an ARB deluxe bull bar which is airbag compatible. Most aren't.

Seatbelts. A must. I was in a landrover in hard pack snow going maybe 20/25. Lost it on a sharp turn I wasn't prepared for and nosed over upside down doing maybe 15 at the time of the wreck. I landed upside down. As a result I tore my left rotator cuff. Without the belt I could have broken my neck. Now if I toodle down the hill to my shop, or over to my inlaws a 1/4 mile up the road I might not wear it. Anywhere else? Its gonna be on.
CrazyBull is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hurricane, UT
Posts: 7,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
I just don't understand why someone would want to turn it off. Why would you not want to wear a seat belt?

I won't let someone ride in my Jeep or any other vehicle if they're not wearing it. Likewise, I won't ride in a moving vehicle without one. I refused to ride in my boss's truck once because the seat belt didn't work. He asked if I don't trust his driving. I told him it's not about him, it's about everyone else on the road.
Which makes me wonder...Uhm...why "Suicideking"? LOLOL
CrazyBull is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,341
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainynite View Post
You have to check with your aftermarket manufacture. I have an ARB deluxe bull bar which is airbag compatible. Most aren't.

Seatbelts. A must. I was in a landrover in hard pack snow going maybe 20/25. Lost it on a sharp turn I wasn't prepared for and nosed over upside down doing maybe 15 at the time of the wreck. I landed upside down. As a result I tore my left rotator cuff. Without the belt I could have broken my neck. Now if I toodle down the hill to my shop, or over to my inlaws a 1/4 mile up the road I might not wear it. Anywhere else? Its gonna be on.
Since air bag deployment isn't related to the bumper I don't think it matters what type of aftermarket bumper you have. The only thing would be "crush cans" which some have and some don't, but that would be for a 2.5 mph front end crash which wouldn't set off the air bag.
kik is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. View Post






Not saying it's common, but all three of those deployments were expensive mistakes by a system designed to err on the side of caution when protecting you.
Thank you. Some people here either don't know how an airbag works, or are whistling dixie. An airbag, if deployed at the WRONG time (which can easily happen) CAN KILL YOU!

NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New girl checking in! Tough Love WF New Member Check In 24 03-08-2012 10:55 PM
New in Mass. muttandjeeps WF New Member Check In 12 03-05-2012 04:17 AM
New YJ in MA NewBedfordYJ WF New Member Check In 9 03-05-2012 04:13 AM
New TJ owner in TN. Christopher Thomas WF New Member Check In 10 03-05-2012 04:09 AM
Green Slime in Tires? Boyd Crowder TJ General Discussion Forum 7 03-04-2012 11:20 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC