I finally had some free time this weekend and took the hardtops off my wife's JKU and my JK. I didn't want to spend over $100 on the racor lift, which is a great setup BTW just overkill for me since I would just be lifting it 2-3" and then putting it back down. I opted instead to buy a set of ratchet straps from Harbor Freight, some 2x4 and some bolts for a total of under $15
This made it easier for me to pull the Jeep back into position. After removing the freedom tops and all the bolts I lifted the top a bit and slipped the straps over the roll bars spanning the length of the hardtop.
From there, I just ratcheted it up enough to drive the Jeep out from underneath it.
From there, it was time to lower it. I slowly released the straps, alternating sides and readjusting the angle of the top since it tended to tip back. I had placed some carpet and padding over the rubber seals in the back window so this made it easy to slide the top.
I worked it down slowly until eventually, Touchdown.
Next came the storage dolly. Again, I could have gone out and spent over $100 on a rolling dolly, but I decided to make my own. I used these plans...
Dolly Instructions Jeep Wrangler.pdf
Overall the plans are good, I just added and additional 2X4 to brace the center. Also, I would recommend larger caster wheels. I used the 2" in the plan which worked, but 4" would be much better. Overall I spent less then $35 on each Dolly. I had to make two, so I was able to knock out the second one in under an hour.
From there I placed the hard top into position, making sure that it was nice and centered.
Then I just tilted it up and back. The top slide against the brace really easily and it worked perfectly. Its a nice stable support.
Finally, I wrapped a tarp over it and tied it all up. Its now wheeled in the corner until the Fall.
Overall it went pretty smoothly. I was able to do everything alone. It took me a couple of hours because I was very careful and figuring everything out as I went along. When my wife came home we just lifted her top off the Jeep together so I didn't use the straps, but if I had to do it all over again it would go by much faster. I know that pulley systems like the Racor are more efficient and would have taken me a fraction of the time the straps did but I figured that I could use the money I saved towards other mods. I hope this is useful for others looking to do the same thing, let me know if there are any questions.