Does my 2013 JK have an AB or AC head? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Does my 2013 JK have an AB or AC head?

The passenger side valve cover has an AB at the end of the part number, is the the part number for the head itself or the valve cover? My engine build date is July 26 2012 and mfg date on the jeep is August 2012. Is there anywhere else I can check the part number on the head itself?




TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
look at the driver side valve cover fromm the fender near the brake booster. Right at the bottom of the head just above the exhaust there is a metal stamp. Its behind the steering column. The first line is the build date in julian. 2072 and higher (the trailing 2 is the year) is an AC head.

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Looking at it with a mirror and flashlight this is what I see

2282B
15730
013000
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
You've got an AC head. Sorry it was 206 or higher. Here's the original note:

Case Number: S1209000022
Release Date: 10/16/2012
Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Identifying Service Replacement Cylinder Heads
Diagnosis:
3.6L cylinders have been improved for durability by upgrading the valve seat and valve guide material. In order to verify that the latest upgrade is incorporated in to the cylinder head received from service parts verify the part number and Julian build date of the cylinder head
Part Number- RL141353AC or higher - left side head
Part Number -RL141352AD or higher– right side head
And a Julian build date of 2062 (206th of 2012) or higher .The build date is stamped on the outboard side of head at the center just below the rocker cover sealing rail
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Awesome thanks for that info blastek!!!
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
You've got an AC head. Sorry it was 206 or higher. Here's the original note:

Case Number: S1209000022
Release Date: 10/16/2012
Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Identifying Service Replacement Cylinder Heads
Diagnosis:
3.6L cylinders have been improved for durability by upgrading the valve seat and valve guide material. In order to verify that the latest upgrade is incorporated in to the cylinder head received from service parts verify the part number and Julian build date of the cylinder head
Part Number- RL141353AC or higher - left side head
Part Number -RL141352AD or higher– right side head
And a Julian build date of 2062 (206th of 2012) or higher .The build date is stamped on the outboard side of head at the center just below the rocker cover sealing rail
What do you make of this number ('13 JK with Aug build):

A2591
09220
000100
davefr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
What do you make of this number ('13 JK with Aug build):

A2591
09220
000100
Looks like you got an AC head too.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
What do you make of this number ('13 JK with Aug build):

A2591
09220
000100
You sure you're reading it right? That date would put your head a year older than the vehicle. Actually. That might mean you have a rebuilt head from an early 2012 build. That's a shocker. Using remanufactured heads in brand new jeeps!!

here's my replacement head stamp:
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Wow that would suck if true, maybe he's looking at the plate with a mirror and reading backwards.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
I checked again (my 4th time) and my numbers are correct and I'm looking at the same plate as the one in Blastek's image.

However the format looks different. Blastek's numbers look raised. Mine look engraved.

Anyone know what the "A" in the first line means?? If the 4th character is year then mine say's 9???

What do lines 2 and 3 mean?

Hope we can get some other members reporting what they see. This is interesting.
davefr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
I checked again (my 4th time) and my numbers are correct and I'm looking at the same plate as the one in Blastek's image.

However the format looks different. Blastek's numbers look raised. Mine look engraved.

Anyone know what the "A" in the first line means?? If the 4th character is year then mine say's 9???

What do lines 2 and 3 mean?

Hope we can get some other members reporting what they see. This is interesting.
Are you sure you're not looking at them in a mirror? Your numbers all seem backwards.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
Are you sure you're not looking at them in a mirror? Your numbers all seem backwards.
Yes, I'm using a mirror but am taking that into account and reporting them correctly as they would normally be read.
davefr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
109 Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Communist State of Illinois
Posts: 349
I have 2013 JKUR.
Manufacturer date of the vehicle is August 2013.
I have head number 2242B.
Can someone tell me is this the newest head ?
Thanks.
109 Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 109 Rider View Post
I have 2013 JKUR.
Manufacturer date of the vehicle is August 2013.
I have head number 2242B.
Can someone tell me is this the newest head ?
Thanks.
Seems like you just scraped by.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
109 Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Communist State of Illinois
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
Seems like you just scraped by.
You think I am safe ?
109 Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 109 Rider View Post
You think I am safe ?
Yeah, you have an AC head so you should be fine.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
109 Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Communist State of Illinois
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueJK View Post
Yeah, you have an AC head so you should be fine.
Thanks. You made my evening. That calls for a cold beer.
Cheers !!
109 Rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 109 Rider View Post
Thanks. You made my evening. That calls for a cold beer.
Cheers !!
Lol I felt the same way before, once I found out that I definitely have the AC heads I cracked open a fresh beer.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
MonarchBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South OC
Posts: 24
I have a 2013 with an AB on the passenger cylinder head. Does this mean I'm screwed?
MonarchBay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchBay View Post
I have a 2013 with an AB on the passenger cylinder head. Does this mean I'm screwed?
all parts end with two letters. Usually AA because most parts don't get revised. The AB sticker that you can see on the passenger side head is the part number for the plastic valve cover. This isn't related to the part number for the cylinder head, which is not visible on the passenger side because the exhaust blocks it.

Nothing to fear.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
I wonder if there are any 13's with AB heads.
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
all parts end with two letters. Usually AA because most parts don't get revised. The AB sticker that you can see on the passenger side head is the part number for the plastic valve cover. This isn't related to the part number for the cylinder head, which is not visible on the passenger side because the exhaust blocks it.

Nothing to fear.
I actually had an easier seeing the head number on the passenger side vs the drivers side and mine julian date was the same on both luckily.
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
MonarchBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South OC
Posts: 24
Well... If I am reading this right, I think I have the old head on my 2013...Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	177739
MonarchBay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchBay View Post
Well... If I am reading this right, I think I have the old head on my 2013...Attachment 177739
missed it by 6 days bummer.
jadmt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
MonarchBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South OC
Posts: 24
Well... That's BS that Chrysler had full knowledge of this issue in the 2012 models and used the defective parts in the 2013 models. I'm going to follow up with a letter to them expressing my frustration and dismay over such bad business practices. My Jeep has 3K miles and I am about to do the lift and a bunch of other mods. But until I get this issue addressed or resolved, I'm holding off. It does make noises that don't seem right, banging or ticking or whatever you want to call it... It pisses me off.
MonarchBay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchBay View Post
Well... That's BS that Chrysler had full knowledge of this issue in the 2012 models and used the defective parts in the 2013 models.
How do you know the part is defective? Don't you think Chrysler made sure the heads going into '13's were OK regardless of part number? It's not inconceivable that older rev. heads could have been screened or reworked at the factory to ensure this issue didn't come up.

Would they purposely go into the '13 MY with what could be a huge warranty expense issue when they had a fix in place for better part of a year??

I wish we could get some straight info on this!! Any Chrysler engineers on this forum?
davefr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
TrueBlueJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 531
That sucks MonarchBay, what is the MFG date of your engine and Jeep just out of curiosity?
TrueBlueJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchBay View Post
Well... That's BS that Chrysler had full knowledge of this issue in the 2012 models and used the defective parts in the 2013 models. I'm going to follow up with a letter to them expressing my frustration and dismay over such bad business practices. My Jeep has 3K miles and I am about to do the lift and a bunch of other mods. But until I get this issue addressed or resolved, I'm holding off. It does make noises that don't seem right, banging or ticking or whatever you want to call it... It pisses me off.
To be clear, you do not have the old AA head, you most likely have the AB head. There are no confirmed, reported ticking problems with either the AB or AC heads. There were a couple reports of early problems with the AB heads with the cam journals from techs, no one I know of had any issue on this forum or others with the AB head. We have no idea what changed between AB and AC. It could just be a way to differentiate between the manufacturing problem with the cam journals.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
MonarchBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South OC
Posts: 24
From what I understand based on the previous posts and other threads, the date stamped on the head indicates the design used for the valve seat area etc... That tells me that I have the part that has been riddled with issues on 2012 models...

My build date on door is July 2012, purchased Sept 11.
MonarchBay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
MonarchBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: South OC
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
To be clear, you do not have the old AA head, you most likely have the AB head. There are no confirmed, reported ticking problems with either the AB or AC heads. There were a couple reports of early problems with the AB heads with the cam journals from techs, no one I know of had any issue on this forum or others with the AB head. We have no idea what changed between AB and AC. It could just be a way to differentiate between the manufacturing problem with the cam journals.
Thank you for this clarification. It gives me some peace of mind.

MonarchBay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC