Does such a product exist? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Does such a product exist?

I currently have my spare strapped to my roll cage right inside the tailgate due to already getting pulled over for my 3rd brake light being covered by the tire and wanting to keep it legal and am really starting to like the look of no spare on the back and am curious if any one knows of an interior type of mount for a spare that will work with a 35 that attaches to the roll cage ???

I have a huge shackle and a 10 ton strap on it but it's pretty ugly looking.

Any input is appreciated as I'm trying to avoid spending another $500 on the Teraflex hinge system.




View from back window

Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,214
yea. leave it in your garage. lol. why would you carry a spare around like that unless you are going off roading?

Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar1229 View Post
yea. leave it in your garage. lol. why would you carry a spare around like that unless you are going off roading?
you don't say

you never know when somethings going to go wrong and you'll need it. even though the duratracs are 10 ply, something could still happen and it just makes me feel safer to have a spare. AAA can only do so much and if i don't have another 35" tire i'm kinda up a creek without a paddle
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 117
Most vehicles dont have 3rd brake lights, what communist state do you live in that you got a ticket for that?

It might be cheaper and easier to just get a brake light extension or something so you can carry your tire on the tailgate.
odimodus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
bluebox3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Why do people buy a spare tire for 33/35 in upgrade vs the 32 stock tire? We are talking about 5-10% difference in diameter. The statistical likelihood that people are going have problems getting back to civilization on a 35 in spare vs the stock 32 is next to none....

One can always just buy a repair kit as well......
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S
Original Order Date: 07/13 New Order Date: 7/29 D1: 8/23 KZ: 8/30
bluebox3000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000 View Post
Why do people buy a spare tire for 33/35 in upgrade vs the 32 stock tire? We are talking about 5-10% difference in diameter. The statistical likelihood that people are going have problems getting back to civilization on a 35 in spare vs the stock 32 is next to none....

One can always just buy a repair kit as well......
Tell me you think this would work well as a spare for this tire



I had a toyota 4runner on 35's before i got my jk and this scenario happened once and it wasn't pretty with a stock spare on the opposite side from a 35 inch tire
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
I know you are wanting a mount but if you do decide to put it back on the tail gate they make a third brake light extension just for this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odimodus View Post
Most vehicles dont have 3rd brake lights, what communist state do you live in that you got a ticket for that?

It might be cheaper and easier to just get a brake light extension or something so you can carry your tire on the tailgate.
By the way it is illegal in all states to cover or remove the third brake light on any vehicle that it came stock on which is all of them now. Just some states enforce it more then others. The NHTSA now requires all new cars (since 1986) and all new light trucks (since 1994) to have a third brake light.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
measuring tire to tire there is a 2.5 inch difference in height while mounted with weight of vehicle on it. IMO it's just not smart, but to each their own.

you don't want a spare then don't buy one. Me, I want an equal sized spare so I have one
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
I know you are wanting a mount but if you do decide to put it back on the tail gate they make a third brake light extension just for this problem.

By the way it is illegal in all states to cover or remove the third brake light. just some states enforce it more then others
I'll more than likely end up buying an extension when i buy a new carrier so for now I'll just be leaving it strapped up in the back as ugly as it is
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,509
Actually the duratracs have a 2 ply side wall.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
robskully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 771
I know they have a brake light that fits into the trailer hitch.
Wouldn't that qualifiy as a 3rd brake light also ?
All it does is plug into the same trailer connector that you would use if pulling a trailer.
Rob ...
robskully is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Actually the duratracs have a 2 ply side wall.
yes sir you are correct, i just meant total they are 10 ply. plus with mine being 35's they are load range E so they're pretty heavy which is the reason why i'm worried about it being mounted on the tailgate


Quote:
Originally Posted by robskully View Post
I know they have a brake light that fits into the trailer hitch.
Wouldn't that qualifiy as a 3rd brake light also ?
All it does is plug into the same trailer connector that you would use if pulling a trailer.
Rob ...
that's a good idea. thanks rob that may be my solution

that didn't even cross my mind
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Mentat Bashar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000 View Post
Why do people buy a spare tire for 33/35 in upgrade vs the 32 stock tire? We are talking about 5-10% difference in diameter. The statistical likelihood that people are going have problems getting back to civilization on a 35 in spare vs the stock 32 is next to none....

One can always just buy a repair kit as well......
Nvm, Rooster answered his.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the off road clubs require the same size tire for the spare as well as a full complement of gear. I'll let the more experienced members chime in about this.

OP, how about this? AEV CHMSL (3rd Brake Light) - Electronics - Shop By Category
__________________
Quote:
Curtisguy: "Is the 2.5 inch TF lift any good? Just concerned I'd lose ride quality going with the cheap option like that."
kjeeper10: Ch..... Cheap?
Mentat Bashar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
See 4fit's 3rd brake light option in this thread (post #3, and the link in it, as well): Third brake light
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf
See 4fit's 3rd brake light option in this thread (post #3, and the link in it, as well): Third brake light
Still haven't gotten around to doing this yet. Ugh! Thanks for the reminder kbw.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
See 4fit's 3rd brake light option in this thread (post #3, and the link in it, as well): Third brake light
Thanks boss. I think I'll be doing that this week

You always come thru with a link for everything. Like the ultimate JK wikipedia
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
Nvm, Rooster answered his.

If I'm not mistaken, some of the off road clubs require the same size tire for the spare as well as a full complement of gear. I'll let the more experienced members chime in about this.

OP, how about this? AEV CHMSL (3rd Brake Light) - Electronics - Shop By Category
Thanks for the link.

And you're right about a lot of the clubs requiring a same size spare. Plus I think it's just a must have after going thru it once before with my 4runner and an undersized spare trying to get to a shop and get another 35
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
bluebox3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster454 View Post
Tell me you think this would work well as a spare for this tire



I had a toyota 4runner on 35's before i got my jk and this scenario happened once and it wasn't pretty with a stock spare on the opposite side from a 35 inch tire
Well, I think this will get you back to civilization where you can get your tire fixed.

For fun, here is the typical Icelandic setup. A Nissan truck on 44" with no spare in the wilderness. Take the spare off and just put a utility box and a shovel there instead
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	117989  
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S
Original Order Date: 07/13 New Order Date: 7/29 D1: 8/23 KZ: 8/30
bluebox3000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
CharTay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000
Why do people buy a spare tire for 33/35 in upgrade vs the 32 stock tire? We are talking about 5-10% difference in diameter. The statistical likelihood that people are going have problems getting back to civilization on a 35 in spare vs the stock 32 is next to none....

One can always just buy a repair kit as well......
K lets say this u blow a tire in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. If 35's got u in there u honestly think a 32 is gonna have the meat to pull u out probably not.... not to mention for solid axel trucks its not good for ur gears. And pin
CharTay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Mentat Bashar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster454 View Post
Thanks for the link.

And you're right about a lot of the clubs requiring a same size spare. Plus I think it's just a must have after going thru it once before with my 4runner and an undersized spare trying to get to a shop and get another 35
Forgot to mention it makes harder to do a five wheel rotation too!

Good luck!
__________________
Quote:
Curtisguy: "Is the 2.5 inch TF lift any good? Just concerned I'd lose ride quality going with the cheap option like that."
kjeeper10: Ch..... Cheap?
Mentat Bashar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000 View Post
Well, I think this will get you back to civilization where you can get your tire fixed.

For fun, here is the typical Icelandic setup. A Nissan truck on 44" with no spare in the wilderness. Take the spare off and just put a utility box and a shovel there instead
well if you tear up a tire in those conditions then you should not be allowed to hold a valid drivers license and should be deemed an idiot IMO

but i see your point
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharTay View Post
K lets say this u blow a tire in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. If 35's got u in there u honestly think a 32 is gonna have the meat to pull u out probably not.... not to mention for solid axel trucks its not good for ur gears. And pin
Completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat Bashar View Post
Forgot to mention it makes harder to do a five wheel rotation too!

Good luck!
haha i didn't even think about that and another valid point
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
bluebox3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharTay View Post
K lets say this u blow a tire in a ditch in the middle of nowhere. If 35's got u in there u honestly think a 32 is gonna have the meat to pull u out probably not.... not to mention for solid axel trucks its not good for ur gears. And pin
First of all I would like to apologize. I did not mean to steel the thread but I see this is a hot topic. As in regards to your question, I really donīt know the answer, but if we think in $$$ $500 spent on a 35 in tire and wheel to accommodate could be spent on a winch for example or even some 37īs that could help in all kinds of situations instead of only when you have a flat.

Believe me i have tried this the hard way. Back in high school I had a International Traveler pickup on 38" mudders and a 32" spare. 100 miles from civilization I cut one of the mudders in front on a sharp rock. For driveability I had to switch one from the rear to front and then the 32" in to the back. This was a poorly lifted truck so on our way back to town the rear axle tear through the brake line due to the smaller tire. So here we came off the mountain with the rear end dancing around and no breaks.

On a positive note the girlfriend with me on this trip ended up becoming my wife so it could not have been all that bad.....
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler JK Sport S
Original Order Date: 07/13 New Order Date: 7/29 D1: 8/23 KZ: 8/30
bluebox3000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,512
Just buy one of these new tire carriers. It even comes with a free bumper!!

ACE JK Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebox3000 View Post
First of all I would like to apologize. I did not mean to steel the thread but I see this is a hot topic. As in regards to your question, I really donīt know the answer, but if we think in $$$ $500 spent on a 35 in tire and wheel to accommodate could be spent on a winch for example or even some 37īs that could help in all kinds of situations instead of only when you have a flat.

Believe me i have tried this the hard way. Back in high school I had a International Traveler pickup on 38" mudders and a 32" spare. 100 miles from civilization I cut one of the mudders in front on a sharp rock. For driveability I had to switch one from the rear to front and then the 32" in to the back. This was a poorly lifted truck so on our way back to town the rear axle tear through the brake line due to the smaller tire. So here we came off the mountain with the rear end dancing around and no breaks.

On a positive note the girlfriend with me on this trip ended up becoming my wife so it could not have been all that bad.....
My dad had an international scout when I was growing up and sold it when I was about 10 and I was unbelievably pissed. I wanted that thing so bad

It's funny how hectic situations bring people closer together, especially men and women. You tore that tire on purpose didn't you? Shoot, I would have
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Rooster454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Just buy one of these new tire carriers. It even comes with a free bumper!!

ACE JK Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
Believe me I have almost bought it several times, but 190 lbs bumper/carrier plus my 90 b wheel/tire combo on the back

forget the 1 inch, I'd need 3 inch spacers to bring the rear back up to how it is now
Rooster454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
bo9roadking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 649
I installed this LED 3rd brake light (brake light). I don't know if it works on a standard tire carrier, but it works for my bumper/tire carrier combo.


Click image for larger version

Name:	076.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	118368
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
bo9roadking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Wirenuting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking
I installed this LED 3rd brake light (brake light). I don't know if it works on a standard tire carrier, but it works for my bumper/tire carrier combo.
The one for use in an empty lug hole is on my radar for purchase.
Yours looks good.
__________________
Teacher My Brain Is Full.
Can I go Home Now?
Wirenuting is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
jqpix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 66
Images: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster454 View Post
yes sir you are correct, i just meant total they are 10 ply. plus with mine being 35's they are load range E so they're pretty heavy which is the reason why i'm worried about it being mounted on the tailgate
I'm running Duratracs 235/80/17 on my stock wheel carrier, so far I haven't seen any issue, and now the tailgate closes just with a finger push.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster454 View Post
that's a good idea. thanks rob that may be my solution

that didn't even cross my mind
I think the whole point of the 3rd brake light is to be seen from the car behind the car behind you. A light in the hitch receiver will only be seen by the car behind you, unless you have a really big lift. I've save myself from rear ending other cars because I can see the car in front of them braking. Does that make sense? Laws and regulations are there for a reason, believe it or not.

__________________
2013 JKS CG Manual, 3.73 and Hard Top
If anything can go wrong, it will
jqpix is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.



JeepŪ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC