Dumb Question About Nav In Sport S - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
rubberjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Dumb Question About Nav In Sport S

So I am already sort of thinking I might end up trading in the Sahara when I hit 100k miles (just something I do and I get there fairly fast usually in a little over 3 years).

Anyway anyone know if Chrysler plans on adding Nav to the Sport S. I had a rubi on order but that fell through and i'm glad about that I really don't need a Rubi. The more I think about it I really don't need a Sahara and would even go as far to say i'd prefer non colored fenders now that i've gotten more acclamated to Jeeps, with that said anyone know if they ever plan to add the Nav option to the Sport S? That would be the way I go on my next order so was wondering if anyone had some inside info. And yes I know I can just add it aftermarket but I don't want to for some odd reason.

__________________
2013 JK Moab, Black
2011 JKU Sahara, Sahara Tan (Retired)
rubberjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,236
I doubt it. They need to keep the Sahara line different than the sport other than colored fenders. You already said it, but aftermarket is way better.

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Just order the Sport S and then buy a 430N. The 430N is 100% plug and play and an excellent unit. It takes 10 minutes to swap it out with the stock radio.

Make sure you order the Connectivity package and Alpine upgrade.
davefr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
ShoreWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Posts: 941
For the price of the Jeep nav you can get an incredible after-market system that will blow the factory stuff away. You should look into it before deciding you want the factory nav
ShoreWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
rubberjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 150
Probably right when the time comes I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go after market. I almost bought a rubicon glad I didn't i'd never get to take advantage of rockers and limited slip is much better for the offroading I do see.
__________________
2013 JK Moab, Black
2011 JKU Sahara, Sahara Tan (Retired)
rubberjeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
ShoreWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberjeep View Post
Probably right when the time comes I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go after market. I almost bought a rubicon glad I didn't i'd never get to take advantage of rockers and limited slip is much better for the offroading I do see.
I looked into after-market for my 12 Sport and for the less than $1,000 you can get an incredible Nav head unit that is far superior, especially in sound, to the factory Nav. I know after-market isn't for everyone but at least go to a car audio place and see what they have and I think you'll be impressed. And as far as the look of it goes, you would think it was a factory unit after it gets installed. Looks real good
ShoreWrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Blkfenderslookbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
Just order the Sport S ......
Make sure you order the Connectivity package and Alpine upgrade.
I've had navigation systems on my last 3 vehicles, and I purposely decided not to get NAV this time. I have an IPhone, which I can use if I really need it, plus I can stream the turn by turn directions thru Bluetooth.

That said,... if you want to stay factory you can always buy a 430N and plug n play... personally, I'd go with an aftermarket. Better quality... less money.
Blkfenderslookbetter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkfenderslookbetter View Post
That said,... if you want to stay factory you can always buy a 430N and plug n play... personally, I'd go with an aftermarket. Better quality... less money.
It's a trade off. There are no aftermarket units that are 100% plug and play and integrate seamlessly into the JK. You typically need to add antenna, microphone, dash bezel fillers and an array of adapters if you want steering wheel controls to work. In addition you need to modify the dash brackets and spend a ton of time wiring everything up.

There is no cost savings. 430N's can be had for <$1000. Decent aftermarket will be higher when all is said and done. (especially with professional installation).

Jeep acoustics aren't the best. Going all out for a sound system is kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.
davefr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Blkfenderslookbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by davefr View Post
It's a trade off. There are no aftermarket units that are 100% plug and play and integrate seamlessly into the JK. You typically need to add antenna, microphone, dash bezel fillers and an array of adapters if you want steering wheel controls to work. In addition you need to modify the dash brackets and spend a ton of time wiring everything up.

There is no cost savings. 430N's can be had for <$1000. Decent aftermarket will be higher when all is said and done. (especially with professional installation).

Jeep acoustics aren't the best. Going all out for a sound system is kind of like putting lipstick on a pig.
I agree with you 100%. It's a JEEP for cryin' out loud... I didn't buy it for a kick ass stereo.

Also, you're probably right about the added costs and the modifications to an aftermarket unit, but I think I read somewhere on another thread that some units will work with the factory connectivity package. I don't know that, so I'm not saying that...

Bottom line - If NAV is an absolute MUST, probably the easiest, most fail-safe option is to buy a 430N on CL or Ebay.
Blkfenderslookbetter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Be careful...

I'm not sure "how" plug and play items are with the 2013's. I purchased a 430 (non nav) on ebay and swapped it out with my 130. I was sooooooo happy when it worked. Even my Sirius worked. But...(and I'm not sure if this is my fault or not), I pulled the 430 back out to record the Sirius number, and when I plugged it back in...it didn't work. I tried to swap back my 130, and that didn't work as well. I'm guessing it is the stupid CAN-Bus doing something with the VIN....so I'm heading to the dealer in a few days to hopefully get it re-set. (But I did noticed a frayed wire in the harness).

My Jimi Hendrix CD is stick in the 430..(I was testing it to see how it worked).
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
SoFlaJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Be careful...

I'm not sure "how" plug and play items are with the 2013's. I purchased a 430 (non nav) on ebay and swapped it out with my 130. I was sooooooo happy when it worked. Even my Sirius worked. But...(and I'm not sure if this is my fault or not), I pulled the 430 back out to record the Sirius number, and when I plugged it back in...it didn't work. I tried to swap back my 130, and that didn't work as well. I'm guessing it is the stupid CAN-Bus doing something with the VIN....so I'm heading to the dealer in a few days to hopefully get it re-set. (But I did noticed a frayed wire in the harness).

My Jimi Hendrix CD is stick in the 430..(I was testing it to see how it worked).
There is an anti-theft feature on all Chrysler radios. Removing it from the vehicle will trigger a shutdown of the unit rendering it usless to whomever ripped it off. I bet if you contacted the dealer they could tell you how to return the unit to service.
__________________
South Florida

2011 CTS Coupe - Red Tintcoat Retired
2012 Escalade Platinum - White Diamond Tri-Coat
2013 Sahara JK - Crush - Punkinzilla
2014 CTS Premium - Raven Black
SoFlaJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
scuba_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 674
While I don't disagree with much that has been said, I do disagree that sound quality is constrained to a significant extent by Jeep acoustics.

My 2001 TJ had the upgraded factory speakers (with sub)...and I replaced the head unit with one that had more features...and the sound in that thing rocked. That was with factory speakers and a moderately-priced aftermarket head unit with built-in amp. My JKR (with 430N) hangs its head in shame compared to that TJ.

The issue is that the 430N's sound sucks...and replacing the speakers won't do much about that.

Of course, I do love all of its other non-nav features...including voice control and the integration with the steering wheel controls. Nav? My $200 portable Garmin 2595LMT absolutely destroys the Garmin nav in the 430N. It's not even close. Super accurate voice control, free lifetime maps and traffic, and the ability for the driver or passenger to use it when you are driving. I am tempted to stick it on my windshield and never hit the 430N's nav button again.
scuba_steve is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaJeep View Post
There is an anti-theft feature on all Chrysler radios. Removing it from the vehicle will trigger a shutdown of the unit rendering it usless to whomever ripped it off. I bet if you contacted the dealer they could tell you how to return the unit to service.
Yeah...that is what I'm guessing.
I had researched and picked out a 2010 430 specificaly because it did not have the anti-theft programming. That started for the 2011's. However, I did notice that my stock 130 has the anti-theft wording on the front....so I'm wondering if the 2013's have some new coding to prevent older models from being used without a flash. Other people have been able to get 430 drop-ins to work without a hitch....but I don't know if anyone had tried it with a 2013 Wrangler.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SoFlaJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Yeah...that is what I'm guessing.
I had researched and picked out a 2010 430 specificaly because it did not have the anti-theft programming. That started for the 2011's. However, I did notice that my stock 130 has the anti-theft wording on the front....so I'm wondering if the 2013's have some new coding to prevent older models from being used without a flash. Other people have been able to get 430 drop-ins to work without a hitch....but I don't know if anyone had tried it with a 2013 Wrangler.
I had a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab that came with a stock radio. I took it back to the dealer and had them replace it with the factory nav system. There was a problem with the first nav so the dealer offered to swap the old radio back in while we waited for the new nav. As I was leaving the dealership I noticed that the old radio did not work. I turned around and went back and the write up man had a Simpson "DOH!" moment, drove the truck back to a bay where the mechanic fixed it in about 30 seconds and then all was fine. So I do know for sure that Dodge had the anti-theft radio as far back as 2005 MY. I do not know that for sure about the Jeep but I would guess that given they use the same radios across the board it was probably true then as well.
__________________
South Florida

2011 CTS Coupe - Red Tintcoat Retired
2012 Escalade Platinum - White Diamond Tri-Coat
2013 Sahara JK - Crush - Punkinzilla
2014 CTS Premium - Raven Black
SoFlaJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaJeep View Post
I had a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab that came with a stock radio. I took it back to the dealer and had them replace it with the factory nav system. There was a problem with the first nav so the dealer offered to swap the old radio back in while we waited for the new nav. As I was leaving the dealership I noticed that the old radio did not work. I turned around and went back and the write up man had a Simpson "DOH!" moment, drove the truck back to a bay where the mechanic fixed it in about 30 seconds and then all was fine. So I do know for sure that Dodge had the anti-theft radio as far back as 2005 MY. I do not know that for sure about the Jeep but I would guess that given they use the same radios across the board it was probably true then as well.
The Wrangler anti-theft started in 2011.....at least that is when they started listing "anti-theft" on the front bottom left hand corner on the 430 and 730, and you started needing a security code to get it a new one to work.

Anti-theft 430 RBZ







Non Anti-theft 430 RBZ (what I ordered)


What I'm not sure is if there is "anti-theft" software in both the head unit and the CAN-Bus....and how long it has been like that.

It probably is a security/flash issue. From what I've read, some people have had trouble getting the display to swith from Chrysler (what mine said) to Jeep without a flash while others updated on their own after the power was cycled (I think that is when mine turned off). The 2011/2012 RBZ's would auto-update, but they needed the secuirty code...AND...the LED back-ligthing (buttons) were blue instead of green. Other people had not problems with their non anti-theft RBZ's updating, but they were not putting them in 2013's.

Who knows...
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
OregonTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
The Wrangler anti-theft started in 2011.....at least that is when they started listing "anti-theft" on the front bottom left hand corner on the 430 and 730, and you started needing a security code to get it a new one to work.

What I'm not sure is if there is "anti-theft" software in both the head unit and the CAN-Bus....and how long it has been like that.
I was reading an old thread where it talked about the 730:

Chrysler Group created the RHB radio (430N) as a lower priced alternative to the top of the line 730N navigation radios. The RHB is priced several hundred dollars less that the 730N - but it does not have all of the features.

Major differences between the 430N and 730N navigation radios:

Graphics: The 430N RHB uses navigation software by Garmin, while the 730N uses navigation software by Navteq. The graphics and some features are different.

Dead Reckoning: When a vehicle doesn't have a clear view of the sky - such as in a tunnel or garage, or when surrounded by tall buildings - all navigation systems lose reception of GPS satellite signals. The 730N has a "dead reckoning" feature which enables it to estimate the current location until the sky is once again visible. (At start-up, it also remembers the vehicles last location, and immediately displays this estimated location until it can read signals for a precise fix). This is also known as "Enhanced GPS". The RHB does not have dead reckoning: it will display a question mark until it can receive GPS satellite signals and identify the current location.

Voice Command: With the 730N, drivers can program a desired destination using Uconnect Voice Command, while the vehicle is in motion. While the voice command is packaged with the RHB on most vehicles (and an option on the rest), it cannot be used to operate the navigation system - the vehicle must be parked so that drivers can enter a destination using the on-screen keyboard.

Traffic: The 730N includes traffic information provided by SIRIUS; the first year's subscription is free. The RHB does not offer this feature. However, the RHB is able to receive the SIRIUS Travel Link service, with helpful information about weather, nearby filling stations and prices, nearby movie theaters and show times, and even sports scores. The 730N RER radio cannot do this, but its replacement model, the 730N RHR, includes the feature.


Does anyone know if that model is still available?? I have a new 2012 but it did not come with Nav. I like the idea of integrated bluetooth, and the OEM controls in the steering wheel.

I spoke to a service manager at my Jeep dealership and he stated that if your Jeep did not come with Nav...that the 2012 and up models can't have it added after. Something about the VIN being burned in to the head unit??? Does this sound right??
OregonTrail is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1
Hi, has anyone installed the Unconnect 730 N/RHR in Wrangler sport? thanks, Rivercabins
Rivercabins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
I'm glad this thread came back up.

My issue wasn't a security issue...it was a blown fuse. My RBZ was 100% plug and play (once the fuse was fixed).
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #19
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercabins View Post
Hi, has anyone installed the Unconnect 730 N/RHR in Wrangler sport? thanks, Rivercabins
Welcome to WF!

People do it all the time. Easier with a 430N, but there is now an adapter for the 730N (which has a different mic).
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
I'm glad this thread came back up.

My issue wasn't a security issue...it was a blown fuse. My RBZ was 100% plug and play (once the fuse was fixed).
Sweet. I was going to ask about it. I have done a half dozen of these, and the worst thing was having to disconnect the battery a couple of times. They are all working fine though.

Bob K.
nwbronco is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercabins View Post
Hi, has anyone installed the Unconnect 730 N/RHR in Wrangler sport? thanks, Rivercabins
I did an RER in mine. Same unit sans the anti-theft. Get the SAT/NAV antenna and a microphone. Takes a couple of hours to do it all. The microphone wire routing being most of that.


Bob K.
nwbronco is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #22
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwbronco View Post
Sweet. I was going to ask about it. I have done a half dozen of these, and the worst thing was having to disconnect the battery a couple of times. They are all working fine though.

Bob K.
Yeah....I stopped disconnecting the battery. Some wires got pinched...and poof....blown fuse.

As an FYI...there are TWO fuses on the premium systems. One for the radio and one for the amp. I felt like and idiot going to the dealer when the problem was a blown (amp) fuse that took 4 seconds the replace.

Them - Did you check the fuse?
Me - Yeah, radio fuse is fine.
Them - It is the amp fuse.
Me -
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
rustynail11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mansfield (DFW area), TX
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
While I don't disagree with much that has been said, I do disagree that sound quality is constrained to a significant extent by Jeep acoustics.

My 2001 TJ had the upgraded factory speakers (with sub)...and I replaced the head unit with one that had more features...and the sound in that thing rocked. That was with factory speakers and a moderately-priced aftermarket head unit with built-in amp. My JKR (with 430N) hangs its head in shame compared to that TJ.

The issue is that the 430N's sound sucks...and replacing the speakers won't do much about that.

Of course, I do love all of its other non-nav features...including voice control and the integration with the steering wheel controls. Nav? My $200 portable Garmin 2595LMT absolutely destroys the Garmin nav in the 430N. It's not even close. Super accurate voice control, free lifetime maps and traffic, and the ability for the driver or passenger to use it when you are driving. I am tempted to stick it on my windshield and never hit the 430N's nav button again.
If you haven't seen it Daystar makes a great portable GPS mount that mount sin to the dash tray. I got that and then ran a hard wire under the dash to the battery and it looks and works great.

rustynail11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC