Evaporator cause damage to rear drive shaft. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
j.luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mercedes
Posts: 654
Evaporator cause damage to rear drive shaft.

Has anyone had their factory evaporator skid/holder damage their rear drive shaft.
It's not a very clear shot, (pic was taken at night)... but you can still see the areas on the boot that was pinched against the metal skid/holder of the evaporator. The boot did not tear, but was close to getting holes on it. I did not do any heavy wheeling it was pretty much just flexing on some trails.



__________________
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine, 5sp Auto Trans.
Connectivity Group, Max Tow, Hard Top(Black), 4:10 gears... Bright White Clear Coat.
j.luis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
bo9roadking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 649
I have read of at least one other person that had his rear driveshaft boot hit the 2012 stock evap skid. He changed it to a Poison Spyder evap skid and gained about another inch of clearance and much better skid protection. I'm probably going to replace my stock skid with one this spring.

__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
bo9roadking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.luis View Post
Has anyone had their factory evaporator skid/holder damage their rear drive shaft.
It's not a very clear shot, (pic was taken at night)... but you can still see the areas on the boot that was pinched against the metal skid/holder of the evaporator. The boot did not tear, but was close to getting holes on it. I did not do any heavy wheeling it was pretty much just flexing on some trails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
I have read of at least one other person that had his rear driveshaft boot hit the 2012 stock evap skid. He changed it to a Poison Spyder evap skid and gained about another inch of clearance and much better skid protection. I'm probably going to replace my stock skid with one this spring.
Well that's good info to know. I wasn't planning on getting a better skid there, initially. Sounds like I oughta re-think things.

Thanks for the tip.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
bo9roadking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 649
These are not my photos, they belong to bbolander on another forum. They show the damage on the boot; the clearance between the rear driveshaft and the stock evap skid; and the clearance between the rear driveshaft and the skid after replacing the stock skid with the Poison Spyder skid. The guy is running a 2" Mopar lift on his 2012 JKU. Apparently the damage happened when he was in a weird off-camber situation. After doing more research, I found a few other people running 2.5" lifts that have similar issues.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261e.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	93748
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239d.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	93749
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276t.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	93750
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
bo9roadking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
j.luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mercedes
Posts: 654
For now I will figure out a way to cut or modify the factory skid and maybe order the Poison Spyder skid later. I have a 3.5 suspension lift so I hope the 2 inch clearance will help prevent any further damage.
__________________
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine, 5sp Auto Trans.
Connectivity Group, Max Tow, Hard Top(Black), 4:10 gears... Bright White Clear Coat.
j.luis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
bo9roadking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.luis View Post
For now I will figure out a way to cut or modify the factory skid and maybe order the Poison Spyder skid later. I have a 3.5 suspension lift so I hope the 2 inch clearance will help prevent any further damage.
Out of curiosity, did your axle get recentered under the jeep after you put on the 3.5" lift? If your axle is setting to one side, it might be contributing to the problem.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
bo9roadking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 232
Is this because the 2012's have a bigger cover?
rs87277 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs87277 View Post
Is this because the 2012's have a bigger cover?
Only 2012's come with that skid. I'm thinking the issue has something to do with your lift. Even though it's close, why would your drive shaft be moving that far to the side to make contact?

Come to think of it, that damage can't be from contacting that skid. Something else was pressed up against it, possibly during installation of your lift. Your drive shaft spins. Any contact would either rip the boot or make the contact marks all the way around, not just on one side.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #9
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
So this seems to be an issue only for folks with a lift, then?
I'm still unclear, sorry.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
...
Come to think of it, that damage can't be from contacting that skid. .... Any contact would either rip the boot or make the contact marks all the way around, not just on one side.
Good catch! Daggo cuts to the chase, again.... The pictured damage isn't from a spinning driveshaft contacting the skid. More likely, it took a rock, or was damaged (looks crushed) some other way, as daggo suggested....
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
jcf
Bludger

WF Supporting Member
 
jcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moab UT
Posts: 12,824
Send a message via Yahoo to jcf
Mine wasn't near the factory skid & it's not anywhere the poison spider skid I have on it now, it's a good 2.5" away, actually it's closer to my fuel tank skid,like 1" & doesn't touch that. I agree the one in the pic' looks like it was damaged some other way because if it had touched the skid in motion it would have ripped it more than that, they aren't very thick
jcf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
j.luis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mercedes
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo9roadking View Post
Out of curiosity, did your axle get recentered under the jeep after you put on the 3.5" lift? If your axle is setting to one side, it might be contributing to the problem.
The axle appears to be pretty well centered. I will have to recheck and make sure it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Only 2012's come with that skid. I'm thinking the issue has something to do with your lift. Even though it's close, why would your drive shaft be moving that far to the side to make contact?

Come to think of it, that damage can't be from contacting that skid. Something else was pressed up against it, possibly during installation of your lift. Your drive shaft spins. Any contact would either rip the boot or make the contact marks all the way around, not just on one side.
I'm guessing others are not getting that much movement on their rear axel?
The skid has marking where contact was made with the plastic boot on the drive shaft, and I noticed the plastic boot on the drive shaft has some small tears on it. I'm guessing it did not rub for too long like the pictures posted by Roadking.
I guess I will be looking to see if anyone else with the 3.5 AEV lift is having this issue..
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf View Post
Mine wasn't near the factory skid & it's not anywhere the poison spider skid I have on it now, it's a good 2.5" away, actually it's closer to my fuel tank skid,like 1" & doesn't touch that. I agree the one in the pic' looks like it was damaged some other way because if it had touched the skid in motion it would have ripped it more than that, they aren't very thick
See if you or anyone else can please get me some shots of your rear axel when the jeep is flexing... I just want to know how much the rear axel shifts and what I need to do to correct the problem.

This is the lift that I have installed.... AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks
For 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with LHD
AEV Conversions N0234100AA - AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with LHD - Quadratec

The pics below where taken today on a small ditch that was enough to put the Jeep in a awkward position and show that the rear drive shaft boot rubs against the evaporator skip plate. Only the plastic boot rubs and not the metal part of the drive shaft rubs.
Thanks for any input.


__________________
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine, 5sp Auto Trans.
Connectivity Group, Max Tow, Hard Top(Black), 4:10 gears... Bright White Clear Coat.
j.luis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 350
I took my 2012 4 door wrangler out last night. That boot got ripped off completely at some point. I'm now running bootless. I have read you can't just buy a new boot for this. What are my options? Is it really necessary to have this boot? It looks like I need to invest in a Poison Spyder Evap Skid plate (Jeep Evap Skid | Jeep Evap Protection | Jeep Evap Armor | Poison Spyder Customs) Just looking for input on what to do with my torn boot now...
__________________
2012 Wrangler Sport S / 2.5" RK Max Travel Lift / TruTrac Front & Rear / Leather / 6 Speed Manual / Ace Mid Width Bull Bar Front w/ Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch / Ace w/ Tire Carrier Rear Bumper / 15" MB72 Rims with 35" Goodyear MT/R Kevlar Tires
oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver_jeep View Post
I took my 2012 4 door wrangler out last night. That boot got ripped off completely at some point. I'm now running bootless. I have read you can't just buy a new boot for this. What are my options? Is it really necessary to have this boot? It looks like I need to invest in a Poison Spyder Evap Skid plate (Jeep Evap Skid | Jeep Evap Protection | Jeep Evap Armor | Poison Spyder Customs) Just looking for input on what to do with my torn boot now...
The boot (if you're talking about the one in the bo9roadking's photos above) is simply there to keep dust off the driveshaft's slip joint. Aftermarket ds's like JE Reel (what I've got), Tom Woods, etc don't have the boot at all.

The important boot is the one that covers your CV joint. If that one goes, you'll see a stripe of grease on your undercarriage, and you'll know it's time for a new ds.

Here's a thread that explains it better: Torn drive shaft boot - new drive shaft required?

There's a link at the bottom of my post (#4) that you can go to for more info.

And here's a link to pluke's thread about what happens when the CV joint goes: What Happens to Your OEM Driveshaft When You Put a 3"+ Lift on Your Jeep
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
oliver_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Monticello, IN
Posts: 350
This is the rear part where it splines into the shaft. I know its not urgent but is it basically a useless part or should I at least consider a drive shaft at some point? Here is a picture to show you, I tore it off at that point because it was obviously making some noise.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Sport S / 2.5" RK Max Travel Lift / TruTrac Front & Rear / Leather / 6 Speed Manual / Ace Mid Width Bull Bar Front w/ Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch / Ace w/ Tire Carrier Rear Bumper / 15" MB72 Rims with 35" Goodyear MT/R Kevlar Tires
oliver_jeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
TR3YNGLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Newburgh, IN
Posts: 616
I'm replacing my second boot that's been torn up by the factory skid. Small little berm is all it took. Sucks.

__________________
Hers: '13 Wrangler Rubicon, Gecko Green Pearl
Mine: '13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Ours: '01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
TR3YNGLER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear drive shaft Jsjk JK General Discussion Forum 16 12-22-2011 09:46 PM
Rear Drive shaft removal?? cinnpass TJ General Discussion Forum 6 11-19-2011 01:22 PM
lost rear drive shaft amara8 YJ Tech Forum 11 08-18-2010 09:50 PM
A few Front Drive shaft Questions! GreenMachine99 TJ Tech Forum 9 07-09-2010 01:17 PM
KS: FS: TJ Double cardan rear drive shaft MR.CLIFFORD Classifieds Archive 6 07-06-2010 09:01 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC