Fender flair falling off - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Fender flair falling off

In actuality I thought I would rip the wide fender flairs off going down a narrow trail but I have on that is loose and wondered if anyone else had this issue. My left rear one is falling off.

Poorshab is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
You can get new clips from the dealer.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,122
I don't think I've been on a trail outing yet without a jk losing a rear flare. Your best bet is to go to an auto body supply shop and get some push pins that will fit in the holes to re-attach the flare. Chrysler likes to use plastic rivets on everything, and usually, you end up ripping the plastic all to hell and the holes get reamed-out and the rivets won't work. The biggest problem with the flares on a jk is that it is attached to the plastic wheel well liner as well as the body itself. What I have seen, is the liner, flare and all gets ripped out and does a job on the plastic itself. You want to ask for an Aveco (not sure on the spelling of that) catalog. Has every plastic push pin known in the auto industry. You can get them in small boxes (you'll need the extra). I put all the flares on my TJ, YJ, and CJ with push pins. It is easier to remove/replace than screws and rivets. Plus, you don't have any body damage from them pulling off. Just replace the pins...sorry about the long post, but wanted you to be informed of what you can do for a decent fix. Dealer is usually a little higher on these, just so you know. I work at an auto body shop, and we have a million of different sizes of clips. If the holes on your flares are stretched out, you can use the next size up pin to do the job.
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
You can probably even get new clips at AutoZone....
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
You can probably even get new clips at AutoZone....
Maybe, but I know they didn't have them at the AZ in my area, nor did they have them at Advance or NAPA. If you check at an auto body shop, I know at the one I work, we just give 'em to people to get 'em back on track.
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Well, that may be... Idk. So far I haven't managed to rip off the flares on the JK... Sure it'll happen soon enough tho' so thanks for the heads up!
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Tarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
Well, that may be... Idk. So far I haven't managed to rip off the flares on the JK... Sure it'll happen soon enough tho' so thanks for the heads up!
You should be ok IG...You're sportin' a 2 door. I've only seen it on the jk unlimiteds. The long wheel base and short, tight trails do a number on them.
Tarby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Wow people thanks a bunch. I used to work for a body shop years back and I think I'll pay my old boss a visit for some free clips. THANKS
Poorshab is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarby
I don't think I've been on a trail outing yet without a jk losing a rear flare. Your best bet is to go to an auto body supply shop and get some push pins that will fit in the holes to re-attach the flare. Chrysler likes to use plastic rivets on everything, and usually, you end up ripping the plastic all to hell and the holes get reamed-out and the rivets won't work. The biggest problem with the flares on a jk is that it is attached to the plastic wheel well liner as well as the body itself. What I have seen, is the liner, flare and all gets ripped out and does a job on the plastic itself. You want to ask for an Aveco (not sure on the spelling of that) catalog. Has every plastic push pin known in the auto industry. You can get them in small boxes (you'll need the extra). I put all the flares on my TJ, YJ, and CJ with push pins. It is easier to remove/replace than screws and rivets. Plus, you don't have any body damage from them pulling off. Just replace the pins...sorry about the long post, but wanted you to be informed of what you can do for a decent fix. Dealer is usually a little higher on these, just so you know. I work at an auto body shop, and we have a million of different sizes of clips. If the holes on your flares are stretched out, you can use the next size up pin to do the job.
Don't mind the long post...thanks tarby

Poorshab is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fender flair cleaning Rubicon410 General Jeep Discussion 1 09-16-2010 08:17 PM
Repair Question ??? Front Fender SDG1227 YJ Tech Forum 2 09-03-2010 10:58 AM
Tube Fender Owners erickpl TJ Tech Forum 5 05-07-2010 09:30 AM
Tube Fender ???s nicolas-eric TJ General Discussion Forum 24 11-29-2008 05:20 PM
Custom Highhood and 3.5" Fender Raise affende TJ Pics Forum 6 04-12-2007 09:35 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC