Filing down thread on front LCA "head"... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Filing down thread on front LCA "head"...

So I've emailed Full Traction support and even PM'd them on here... Looks like they're all too busy having fun out in Moab (jealous).

I figured I'd get some expertise from here.

I ran into an issue trying to set up my LCAs over the weekend where the "head" wouldn't screw in all the way as it should; in fact, it would just STOP. So I was reading around the internerds and saw Eddie over at Project-JK had done a FT 3" install and mentioned that you might need to file a little bit to make it smooth as butter to screw in.

Is this a good idea? I've never filed a threaded piece of metal before, if I do attempt it, what's the best course of action and things I should know?

__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,369
Assuming the thread has burrs from the machining process. Lightly sand the area that is giving you problems, I see no harm.
Those LCA's have a lock nut after you set the length right?

__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Those LCA's have a lock nut after you set the length right?

Si Senor. What grit would I need for that...? ha ha


Sidenote: I assume that to actually adjust their length and any given time they can't actually be on the Jeep? (Although I thought the point was I could shorten or lengthen them whenever)
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george

Si Senor. What grit would I need for that...? ha ha

Sidenote: I assume that to actually adjust their length and any given time they can't actually be on the Jeep? (Although I thought the point was I could shorten or lengthen them whenever)
If they are like the TF arms NO. But I can easily drop one side, adjust and bolt back up. Pretty simple !!
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
Before you go crazy with a file, are you at least able to get it in far enough to get the eye to eye size that you need? it could just be that they didn't thread it all the way because theres no need. When you say it just stops, does it go smoothly and then dead stop, or does it just tighten up until its impossible to twist more? the first means its not threaded all the way, the second means its just not going in smoothly (due to burrs and tight tolerance). If it is the second, you might consider getting some white litheum or other grease (even some wd40) and spraying that on and trying it.

but like I said, see if you can at least get it to the length you actually need to use it
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
Si Senor. What grit would I need for that...? ha ha


Sidenote: I assume that to actually adjust their length and any given time they can't actually be on the Jeep? (Although I thought the point was I could shorten or lengthen them whenever)
I had to sand one of mine down...very light sanding. #20 grit? Don't remember, but it shouldn't matter cuz you're just doing it a little at a time.

And yes, you can adjust the ca's while on the Jeep. That's the whole point of adjustable ca's...so you can set caster.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,369
Fine grit. Or a small file like mentioned will work.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
Before you go crazy with a file, are you at least able to get it in far enough to get the eye to eye size that you need? it could just be that they didn't thread it all the way because theres no need. When you say it just stops, does it go smoothly and then dead stop, or does it just tighten up until its impossible to twist more? the first means its not threaded all the way, the second means its just not going in smoothly (due to burrs and tight tolerance). If it is the second, you might consider getting some white litheum or other grease (even some wd40) and spraying that on and trying it.

but like I said, see if you can at least get it to the length you actually need to use it
Just so I answer your question (I hate when people do that...): the other one goes all the way way, so this one just "gets too tight" and refuses to go any further.

I put some anti-seize on the sucker... ok it ended up being a lot because I was having a bad day.
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
If they are like the TF arms NO. But I can easily drop one side, adjust and bolt back up. Pretty simple !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
I had to sand one of mine down...very light sanding. #20 grit? Don't remember, but it shouldn't matter cuz you're just doing it a little at a time.

And yes, you can adjust the ca's while on the Jeep. That's the whole point of adjustable ca's...so you can set caster.

Sweet. I can always depend on you guys

Hurry up and make a trip to Cali, I'll make sure it's nice and warm. And you can drive my Jeep
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,369
I de-burr all my parts at work, after machining them. I would use a small triangular file to clean up threads.

"you can do it"
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Don't use anti-seize--you don't want these threads like "butter", that will allow the LCA to twist, instead of the spherical joint--unless yours doesn't have the greaseable type--

Harbor Freight sella 2-1/2 foot cresent wrench that'll secure the locknut-

It's almost impossibe to set the (ADJ) LCAS at 23" (start) unless they're installed, because if you make the setting on the bench----it'll change upto 1/2" after installed, I don't mean final torqued, but at least both front/back mounting bolts in place--don't even need the nut (I'm not refering to you)

Don't forget to chock the rear wheels and put a floor jack under the pinion end of the front diff.-

Good luck

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Don't use anti-seize--you don't want these threads like "butter", that will allow the LCA to twist, instead of the spherical joint--unless yours doesn't have the greaseable type--

Harbor Freight sella 2-1/2 foot cresent wrench that'll secure the locknut-

It's almost impossibe to set the (ADJ) LCAS at 23" (start) unless they're installed, because if you make the setting on the bench----it'll change upto 1/2" after installed, I don't mean final torqued, but at least both front/back mounting bolts in place--don't even need the nut (I'm not refering to you)

Don't forget to chock the rear wheels and put a floor jack under the pinion end of the front diff.-

Good luck

JIMBO
Yup. If I ever decide to completely flip out the lift I have - I'm taking you up on your offer!

Beers and steaks on me ha ha


I got lazy and just ordered a giant 2-4/5s 18" from Amazon (Irwin brand) that'll fit anything I come across
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
tightening those jam nuts always sucks. when you have the jeep on the ground, theres just not enough room to work with to make it not a pain in the ass. and when you go to loosen then, be prepared for a good deal of swearing when you bash your hand into something!

I keep finding myself tempted to get a set of these EVO: Suspension/Steering, EVO MFG Control Arm LinXLok - Each . I mean sure, it's only really helpful when you find yourself constantly adjusting your suspension, but you know....

i am!
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
OK, that locknut is actually pretty important--


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.george View Post
Yup. If I ever decide to completely flip out the lift I have - I'm taking you up on your offer!

Beers and steaks on me ha ha


I got lazy and just ordered a giant 2-4/5s 18" from Amazon (Irwin brand) that'll fit anything I come across
Without it LOCKED, the LCAs will twist thousands of times in 25 miles and that will just ruin those fine threads-when locked--it'll xfer all the twisting to the spherical/bushing and "SAVE" the threads !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
OK, that locknut is actually pretty important--




Without it LOCKED, the LCAs will twist thousands of times in 25 miles and that will just ruin those fine threads-when locked--it'll xfer all the twisting to the spherical/bushing and "SAVE" the threads !!

JIMBO
Noted. Twist them until they won't move with the force of Hercules. Or until I cry Uncle.
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
tightening those jam nuts always sucks. when you have the jeep on the ground, theres just not enough room to work with to make it not a pain in the ass. and when you go to loosen then, be prepared for a good deal of swearing when you bash your hand into something!

I keep finding myself tempted to get a set of these EVO: Suspension/Steering, EVO MFG Control Arm LinXLok - Each . I mean sure, it's only really helpful when you find yourself constantly adjusting your suspension, but you know....

i am!

That's actually interesting. I'll note these if I start having annoyances. Thanks!
__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #17
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Interesting thread, good info.
Thanks to all involved!

Hope you got that bolt ok!
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
chris.george's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 774
Update: I don't think "Fine" was enough Or I gotta keep going at it for a while longer.



Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
Interesting thread, good info.
Thanks to all involved!

Hope you got that bolt ok!

Still working on it

__________________
First, gather your facts; then, distort them at your leisure.
— Mark Twain
chris.george is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High School Jeepers Thread Drakea94 Off-Topic 103621 09-21-2014 04:58 PM
Making your TJ more "Manly" CrackrJack TJ General Discussion Forum 2028 10-24-2013 09:19 PM
CJ Grille on a TJ? jscherb TJ General Discussion Forum 28 04-06-2012 06:15 PM
Grinding on downshifts. JSLong TJ General Discussion Forum 0 04-05-2012 08:31 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC