After installing my Rigged Ridge front skid plate I noticed that a large gap was left between the top of the skid and the factory bumper.
I didn't like this because not only is it catching big air on the highway, but it also lets water/mud/debris into that spot when it should be pushed forward ahead of the vehicle when wheeling.
(you can see the sway bar disconnect motor and the vacuum pump through this gap as well)
I took some measurements and sent in the dimensions to a local sheet metal shop, who charged me less than twenty dollars for a beautiful piece of steel that was supposed to be 1/8 inch thick, but measures out a little thicker!
I proceeded to set and drill my mounting holes, in this case one in the center up top for a 1/4-20 bolt and nylock nut and two in the front for self-tapping hardware.
The plate was then cleaned, primered and coated with a few layers of spray-on bed liner to give it the best protection and to give it the same finish as the skid plate.
Installation was a breeze, as I set up all my holes prior to coating the piece.
I'm very happy with the results!
It's using the skid and filler plates to replace the plastic air dam with a metal one capable of damming more than just air, albeit a slightly less aerodynamic one.