Finally getting a Jeep!!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 21,449
Images: 22
Finally getting a Jeep!!!

After many years of wanting one and my husband finally saying yes, I am finally going to get my own Jeep! Not for a while, but I'm asking questions now so I can be well-educated on the topic. I'm looking at a 2011 2-door manual with a soft top. This will be the replacement for my '03 Saturn Vue. I know it's going to be smaller (and noisier) and I'm prepared for that. We have no children, nor do we plan to have any, so the only backseat passenger will be the dog and I actually like driving with the top down (hubby drives a Mazda Miata with the top down all the time, even in the winter) That being said, I have a few questions and remember, I'm new to this.

#1
Since this will be the (my) primary (practical?) vehicle,(Miata, so you get my drift) the top will be down and up a lot. How easy or hard is it to put up and down?

#2 In the summer I plan on running with everything off unless it's an unusually wet summer here in Texas, so how hard is it to take the doors off and put them back on again?

#3
Power Door Locks? (Hubby thinks I need them or I'll forget to lock the doors) Do I buy the Jeep with them or can I have them installed as an aftermarket option?

#4
Anything I didn't mention, but you think I should know.

thanks

shell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ThrashN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Daytona Beach
Posts: 203
1 - Easy. You'll get the hang of it after a couple of times.
2 - Easy.
3 - I never lock my doors. I would rather they take what they want and not cut up the top.
4 - Enjoy

__________________
A mile of highway can take you a mile; A mile of runway can take you anywhere.
ThrashN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
Merry Christmas to All

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 27,074
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
#1Since this will be the (my) primary (practical?) vehicle,(Miata, so you get my drift) the top will be down and up a lot. How easy or hard is it to put up and down?
It gets easier every time. I have it down to 5 minutes to drop it and about 10 to put it back up including windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
#2 In the summer I plan on running with everything off unless it's an unusually wet summer here in Texas, so how hard is it to take the doors off and put them back on again?
Mine has full hard doors. I'm 5'2", 110 lbs and I remove them and put them back on by myself all the time, no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
#3
Power Door Locks? (Hubby thinks I need them or I'll forget to lock the doors) Do I buy the Jeep with them or can I have them installed as an aftermarket option?
Forget the power locks, just something else to fail. Don't leave anything of value in your Jeep and leave the doors unlocked. Save your soft top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
#4
Anything I didn't mention, but you think I should know.
Sunscreen, lip balm and a baseball cap. That about sums it up. Oh and get used to having that smile on your face and don't forget to wave.
JDsDream is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,512
Good girl getting a manual JK with a soft top. If you keep it bare (no power anything) you'll enjoy it just as much maybe more because they will not fail you down the road.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
I'll go against the grain here and mention that power locks/windows are an option and you should get them. I've got'em and wouldn't do it any other way!
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 11,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
I'll go against the grain here and mention that power locks/windows are an option and you should get them. I've got'em and wouldn't do it any other way!
agreed.. it's just nice to have... and when you want to run sans doors, it's not real tough to unplug them!

-bob
__________________
-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Do you like bacon? I do too, but only supporting members really like bacon, so.... Support the WranglerForum, you spend enough time here! Click here to find out how to become a Supporting Member...


Do it! DO IT NOW!!!!!
tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
FlyinJeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 401
Do a quick search on youtube for instructional video's on putting up the soft top and taking the doors on and off and it will give you a good idea on what's involved, it is pretty easy, but not as easy as pushing a button and watching the top drop
FlyinJeeps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,512
I hear those that like power windows. I guess I did too on my last Jeep but after they failed over and over it got expensive $$$ and frustrating. I love my bare Wrangler. No power anything. Makes me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
#4
Anything I didn't mention, but you think I should know.
HAHA, yeah, have fun and don't forget to wave..lol

and congrats..
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,292
Power windows and doors makes no sense on a 2 door, especially if you plan on running with the top down and doors off.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Trying to Get Lost

WF Supporting Member
 
jeffk42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 1,036
Images: 4
Personally, I'm happy with the power windows and locks on my 2-door. And as for the question as to buy with them or install after, definitely opt to get the Jeep with them already installed. It'll be cheaper and easier that way.

Oh, and don't expect it to really be any louder than your Vue. It won't be. At least not when you have the top up and doors on.

My girlfriend just got rid of her 2003 Vue a few months ago. Piece of junk had electric power steering issues pretty much from day one, and the dealer kept "fixing" it with a temporary fix that would make it come back in a month or so, until the warranty was up (she didn't know me when she bought it ).

Then the transmission went, and apparently the V6 Vue from 2003 had some awful, awful CVT affair that was the cause of a class action suit that apparently went away after the bankruptcy filing. But because of the tendency for the tranny to die early (less than 30k, in some cases) and the fact that they only used it for maybe 2 years, getting another one meant either paying $5k for a rare new one if you could find it, or maybe $2500 plus install for a used one. And neither of them had any guarantees that they would last because they were already prone to early failure.

Oh and sometimes the lock mechanism would stick and the passenger couldn't get out unless the driver went around to the outside. It was like a game to the passenger, "Can I get out this time, or no?"

Ugh.



Sorry, I could go on forever. Point is, the 2-door 2011 will be smaller, but not really any louder. And it'll be nicer inside. And it'll be WAY more fun. And not made of plastic, and not made by Saturn. You'll love it.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport S [Photos]


jeffk42 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
zuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 130
The only thing I can say, you'll love it and fun
zuba is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
dfwislander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 451
1. Will seem like a major chore if you compare it to the miata. It's not terrible

2. Easy

3. It's an option. Get it. It's nice at drive through anythings to just be able to push a button to open a window. Others have a point about the locks, although I've always locked mine and no one has ever cut anything. The one time mine was broken into they were nice enough just to unzipped and crawl through the side window.

4. Welcome to the fever
dfwislander is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
shell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 21,449
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk42 View Post
Personally, I'm happy with the power windows and locks on my 2-door. And as for the question as to buy with them or install after, definitely opt to get the Jeep with them already installed. It'll be cheaper and easier that way.

Oh, and don't expect it to really be any louder than your Vue. It won't be. At least not when you have the top up and doors on.

My girlfriend just got rid of her 2003 Vue a few months ago. Piece of junk had electric power steering issues pretty much from day one, and the dealer kept "fixing" it with a temporary fix that would make it come back in a month or so, until the warranty was up (she didn't know me when she bought it ).

Then the transmission went, and apparently the V6 Vue from 2003 had some awful, awful CVT affair that was the cause of a class action suit that apparently went away after the bankruptcy filing. But because of the tendency for the tranny to die early (less than 30k, in some cases) and the fact that they only used it for maybe 2 years, getting another one meant either paying $5k for a rare new one if you could find it, or maybe $2500 plus install for a used one. And neither of them had any guarantees that they would last because they were already prone to early failure.

Oh and sometimes the lock mechanism would stick and the passenger couldn't get out unless the driver went around to the outside. It was like a game to the passenger, "Can I get out this time, or no?"

Ugh.



Sorry, I could go on forever. Point is, the 2-door 2011 will be smaller, but not really any louder. And it'll be nicer inside. And it'll be WAY more fun. And not made of plastic, and not made by Saturn. You'll love it.
My Vue has had the air conditioning fixed (just after the warranty ran out), the airbag replaced (went out after picking up my dog from the vet and honking at a BMW for nearly hitting me and the horn staying on, yes it actually happened) the cooling system fixed (not the air con.) and oh, the latest had to have 2 gaskets on the engine replaced at a hefty price and brake fluid leaking into the master cylinder. That was when the hubby decided to get me a new car. I need something "sturdy".
shell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
Trying to Get Lost

WF Supporting Member
 
jeffk42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando, FL USA
Posts: 1,036
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
My Vue has had the air conditioning fixed (just after the warranty ran out), the airbag replaced (went out after picking up my dog from the vet and honking at a BMW for nearly hitting me and the horn staying on, yes it actually happened) the cooling system fixed (not the air con.) and oh, the latest had to have 2 gaskets on the engine replaced at a hefty price and brake fluid leaking into the master cylinder. That was when the hubby decided to get me a new car. I need something "sturdy".
The brake fluid leak happened to her too, forgot about that one.

Luckily we found someone on Craigslist that was willing to pay $2k for a 2003 Saturn Vue with 120,000 miles and a fully busted transmission. And I mean, for real -- like grinding metal, burning smell, barely makes it across the parking lot kind of busted. And I'm not a liar -- I fully disclosed not only the problems, but how hard (if not impossible) it would be to find a new tranny for it, and how expensive it would be even if you could. So I don't know what she was thinking, but it helped with the down payment on the HHR.

As far as the soft top goes, I have a similar response to the others: the first time I put it up (I got the dual top option, so the soft top was folded back when I picked it up), it had never been stretched over the frame before, so it took forever and my fingertips were sore by the time I was done. But it was much easier the second time after it had had a chance to stretch a bit, and by the fourth time I was going full up or full down, including windows, in about 5-7 minutes. Just don't let the first time scare you.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport S [Photos]


jeffk42 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk42

As far as the soft top goes, I have a similar response to the others: the first time I put it up (I got the dual top option, so the soft top was folded back when I picked it up), it had never been stretched over the frame before, so it took forever and my fingertips were sore by the time I was done. But it was much easier the second time after it had had a chance to stretch a bit, and by the fourth time I was going full up or full down, including windows, in about 5-7 minutes. Just don't let the first time scare you.
Weather makes a huge difference.

When it's warm out, the fabric stretches easier so putting it up is no big deal.

But at >60f, the material becomes stiffer and harder to pull.

Being in MI, my plan is to go hard top only and just remove the panels. If I want to remove the back part, it's nothing the Mrs and I can't handle.

AgtSunshine is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why I love my JK and thoughts on the Jeep community.... Mr. Sinister JK General Discussion Forum 48 12-15-2011 11:20 PM
Finally got our jeep picnic42 JK General Discussion Forum 20 03-23-2011 10:53 PM
Biggest Jeep Freek Contest!!!! txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 6 02-21-2011 11:48 AM
Finally got my Jeep. SamiJo89 JK General Discussion Forum 6 03-26-2010 03:34 PM
Finally entered the realm of the Jeep owners Silverlion YJ General Discussion Forum 8 10-08-2009 11:04 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC