First time Jeep owner with a couple of questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jeep Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 211
First time Jeep owner with a couple of questions

I just bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 5500 miles on it. I've never owned a Jeep before, let alone anything new enough to utilize things like bluetooth, usb ports, etc. I set up my phone's bluetooth capabilities fine, but am confused by the usb port. I assumed that I would plug in my iPod to the usb, hit the Aux button on the radio, and listen to my iPod. Not sure why it's not working that way. I don't believe I can even charge my iPod or iPhone with the usb??? Not sure what it's function is? If I have my phone in the car with me and hit the Aux button, it'll play songs via bluetooth from my phone. But since my iPhone 4 is only 8gB, I don't have all of my music downloaded to it. Hence me still using my old iPod 30gig.

Is someone able to help me understand why I can't use the usb? I'm not sure what package I have, to help determine my vehicle's capabilities... It has bluetooth up on the radio (and steering wheel) and the usb port is in the center console. I do not have navigation (that I'm aware of?)

Finally, I didn't have an owner's manual in the glove box. Do they usually come with one, or do I have to buy/download one? And it only came with one key. I went to the local hardware store to have an extra cut, and she said she didn't have any in stock and that she wasn't positive whether it was one that had the transponder in it or not. She said if it did, I'd have to go to a lockshop around the corner and that it would probably be about $70!!! Does that sound right?

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Jeep Dreamer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,282
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
you bought a used jeep...most likely you'll be lucky enough to have it come with a spare key.
you'll have to get extra keys from jeep since its "chipped"...even with the base model.
you can dl the manual from jeep also.

and as far as your usb plug...there's tons of accessories for the iphone that is compatible for your convenience.

with the package that you have, you probably have a sport s. all jk's are very capable even at its base form.

__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
hooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rosharon, Tx.
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Dreamer View Post
I just bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 5500 miles on it. I've never owned a Jeep before, let alone anything new enough to utilize things like bluetooth, usb ports, etc. I set up my phone's bluetooth capabilities fine, but am confused by the usb port. I assumed that I would plug in my iPod to the usb, hit the Aux button on the radio, and listen to my iPod. Not sure why it's not working that way. I don't believe I can even charge my iPod or iPhone with the usb??? Not sure what it's function is? If I have my phone in the car with me and hit the Aux button, it'll play songs via bluetooth from my phone. But since my iPhone 4 is only 8gB, I don't have all of my music downloaded to it. Hence me still using my old iPod 30gig.

Is someone able to help me understand why I can't use the usb? I'm not sure what package I have, to help determine my vehicle's capabilities... It has bluetooth up on the radio (and steering wheel) and the usb port is in the center console. I do not have navigation (that I'm aware of?)


Finally, I didn't have an owner's manual in the glove box. Do they usually come with one, or do I have to buy/download one? And it only came with one key. I went to the local hardware store to have an extra cut, and she said she didn't have any in stock and that she wasn't positive whether it was one that had the transponder in it or not. She said if it did, I'd have to go to a lockshop around the corner and that it would probably be about $70!!! Does that sound right?

Thanks so much for the help!!!
It should charge and play your music. You have to plug it in and wait some time so your radio can set itself up to use it. There are some video on u tube that might help.
hooper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Rtone1583's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 414
Another option for the USB is to load up a thumb drive with your music and listen to it that way. I believe that the radio is compatible with MP3 files.
Rtone1583 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Jeep Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 211
Thank you so much to all of you! All great info and I appreciate it
Jeep Dreamer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
dpostman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Moncton NB, CAN
Posts: 364
I also have the old 30gb Classic iPod. I was surprised when I plugged the white usb iPod cable the in the USB port in the center console, and about 30 seconds later, the jeep logo appeared on my iPod screen. Then all my iPod functions are controllable via the HU touch screen and some functions via steering wheel buttons. I have the 430n unit and it connected just fine, but I think it should work with the 130 as well. I think I remember reading that the iPod should be plugged in the USB that is in the console, and a USB stick with MP3 files should be plugged in the USB on the HU.

dp
dpostman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
WhiskeyMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 833
I use iPhone/iPod attached to the console USB. The first time it did seem to take a half minute, so maybe wait longer next time. Since the initial, it only takes 4-5 secs to be ready now. If I'm on Bluetooth and then plug phone in to get a charge, it switches to the USB automatically.
WhiskeyMike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
mhilbush's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Roseland, NJ
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpostman View Post
I also have the old 30gb Classic iPod. I was surprised when I plugged the white usb iPod cable the in the USB port in the center console, and about 30 seconds later, the jeep logo appeared on my iPod screen. Then all my iPod functions are controllable via the HU touch screen and some functions via steering wheel buttons. I have the 430n unit and it connected just fine, but I think it should work with the 130 as well. I think I remember reading that the iPod should be plugged in the USB that is in the console, and a USB stick with MP3 files should be plugged in the USB on the HU.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but your response made me think of something that has bugged me for a while... I hate the poor support for playlists in the 730N. If you have playlists on the iPod, are you able to play those using the head unit and/or steering wheel buttons?
__________________
Mark
2013 JKU Rubicon
mhilbush is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #9
Vin
Jeeper
 
Vin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,487
The $70 bucks is a deal. If you go to the dealer, they will charge $300 (not a typo. not a joke) for a new key. Once you have a second key, you can program additional keys. All you need to do is have a transponder key cut, then you can use the two programmed keys to make a working third key. That brings the cost down to the price of the key and having it cut. You may want to consider this, so you will always have two keys available to make a spare just in case it gets lost/broken.
Vin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
The $70 bucks is a deal. If you go to the dealer, they will charge $300 (not a typo. not a joke) for a new key. Once you have a second key, you can program additional keys. All you need to do is have a transponder key cut, then you can use the two programmed keys to make a working third key. That brings the cost down to the price of the key and having it cut. You may want to consider this, so you will always have two keys available to make a spare just in case it gets lost/broken.
Once you have two working keys, get another good, Made in the USA chip key here for an additional spare key. Very inexpensive:

Transponder Chip Ignition Keys for Jeeps & Chryslers on Sale

Mabar
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Newb
 
StaceyNDvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12
My 2011 Sport came with only one key. So, I need to have a locksmith, or pay $275 at my local Jeep dealer, to have a spare key made then buy a third (just in case key) made with the two at a fairly cheap price?? Walmart for a spare?! Really??? Last time I needed a Ford Ranger key made it took almost an hour and I had to go pack because it didn't work. If you say so, I will venture back into WallyWorld...

StaceyNDvo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:56 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC