Fixed the spongy rear center seat on my JK Unlimited - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 127
Fixed the spongy rear center seat on my JK Unlimited

For some reason the rear center seats on JKU's have no support. When you sit on this seat it feels like the seat is going to give out and you'll be sitting on the floor board (even for a light-weight like me). This is still a problem on the 2012's. I finally looked at it more and came up with a solution using some metal “L” brackets. My goal was to support the seat without it being noticeable to passengers that any mod had been done and that the seat could still fold down as usual. Mission accomplished...
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4405.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	105794
bracket assemblies, 2 brackets per assembly for an adjustable fit
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4409.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	105795
fit check
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4412.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	105796
painting to match existing gloss black underseat metal
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4413.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	105797
installed...it works
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_4419.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	105798
problem solved!

__________________
2012 JKUnlimited Sahara, Flame Red, Black Top, Auto, 3.73 axle, 430N, trailer tow
Ordered: 7/21/11, Delivery: 8/27/11.
2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
jcf
Bludger

WF Supporting Member
 
jcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moab UT
Posts: 12,823
Send a message via Yahoo to jcf
Thats a great fix for a PITB problem

jcf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
jeepkingtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spring City
Posts: 268
Where did you get the brackets? Thanks.
__________________
2012 FLAME RED JK UNLIMITED RUBICON
4.10 Rear Axle Ratio/5 Speed Auto/Connectivity Group/Heated Front Seats/Remote Start System/ACE Rock Sliders/Front Stubby Bumper

Job 19:26
jeepkingtn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Simple fix and elegant implementation.

Kudos!
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
m0wens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 132
Those look like server rack rails for about a 6ou server. Is that what you used? If so, I'll be doing the same mod here shortly since I have plenty of rack rails...
__________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4 Rubicon
Black | Remote Start | Connectivity Group | Max Tow|
3pc Freedom Hardtop | 5sp Auto | 4:10
m0wens is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkingtn View Post
Where did you get the brackets? Thanks.
^^^ This!

Where'd you get em, how long are they, etc?

Man, I've been looking for a good way to do this (without using say, a crate, or a cinderblock) since I bought my Jeep.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 127
I put together two electronic rack drawer slide brackets. The brackets are 8" long and the span they need to clear under the seat is 9". Putting two of them together allowed me to clear the 9" span and also make them adjustable for a tight fit. I just happen to have these extra pieces from working with electronic racks at work. I had been planning on using 6" or so steel corner braces and cutting & drilling them to fit together similar to what I did with the brackets. The trick is making sure they are thick enough or have bent flanges running their length to prevent them from bowing under a person's weight. Here are some ideas:
http://accuride.com/Resources/PDF/ra...ries_pdf_2.pdf


Stanley Hardware :* 304242 *-* 6" Mechanically Galvanized(ST2H) Corner Brace

A trip to the hardware store will probably generate some more ideas.
__________________
2012 JKUnlimited Sahara, Flame Red, Black Top, Auto, 3.73 axle, 430N, trailer tow
Ordered: 7/21/11, Delivery: 8/27/11.
2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
schirmyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 166
Here is a previous thread about this and a few other suggestions...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/doe...is-124293.html

__________________
Schirmyver

2012 JK Unlimited Sahara
Retired: 2002 KJ LE
Retired:1990 YJ
schirmyver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
MarineHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 700
Kind of low-tech, but for now, I just densely packed the space underneath with rolled-up synthetic blankets. It seems to work.
MarineHawk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
I put together two electronic rack drawer slide brackets. The brackets are 8" long and the span they need to clear under the seat is 9". Putting two of them together allowed me to clear the 9" span and also make them adjustable for a tight fit. I just happen to have these extra pieces from working with electronic racks at work. I had been planning on using 6" or so steel corner braces and cutting & drilling them to fit together similar to what I did with the brackets. The trick is making sure they are thick enough or have bent flanges running their length to prevent them from bowing under a person's weight. Here are some ideas:
http://accuride.com/Resources/PDF/ra...ries_pdf_2.pdf


Stanley Hardware :* 304242 *-* 6" Mechanically Galvanized(ST2H) Corner Brace

A trip to the hardware store will probably generate some more ideas.
Excellent. Thanks man.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by schirmyver View Post
Here is a previous thread about this and a few other suggestions...

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/doe...is-124293.html

Thanks for the link; there are several good ideas there too.

I searched for this seat problem on the this site and didn't find any postings; guess I should have searched better.
__________________
2012 JKUnlimited Sahara, Flame Red, Black Top, Auto, 3.73 axle, 430N, trailer tow
Ordered: 7/21/11, Delivery: 8/27/11.
2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Those look like server rack rails for about a 6ou server.
ReubenLemley is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReubenLemley View Post
Those look like server rack rails for about a 6ou server.
Sort of. They are rear mounting brackets from a rack mounted slide kit. I think they were from a rack mount keyboard. They've been in my office for years. Now they'll be in my Jeep for years!
__________________
2012 JKUnlimited Sahara, Flame Red, Black Top, Auto, 3.73 axle, 430N, trailer tow
Ordered: 7/21/11, Delivery: 8/27/11.
2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
Im 235 pounds and can bounce in the rear seat all day without spongy feel. Ive read this stuff before, has jeep forgot springs on some rear seats? Lol
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
baytownbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
I just went and photographed my back seat in my 2011 JKU Sport. it is braced from the factory and I weigh 225 and it is solid feeling all the way across.

baytownbert is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
2012Cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lehigh Valley
Posts: 229
Under rear middle seat, no pressure.



Under rear middle seat, clenched fist pushing down, I'm 6'6" 220lb I was pushing hard.



(Look how far the serial numbers moved!)

2012Cosmos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
pkmcd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,117
By the looks of our weights, it apears were all healthy sized jeepers...lol
pkmcd99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
2012Cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lehigh Valley
Posts: 229
2012Cosmos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,200
I'm looking to buy an unlimited and all of the '12s at the auto show had the saggy seat. So I emailed Jeep and got the usual BS. Now that I see an '11 with seat support I will ask again and watch them dance around the issue. Here's what they said about the lack of support in the center seat:

Dear Customer:

It is great to read of your interest in the 2012 Jeep Wrangler and
Wrangler Unlimited!

In 2011, Jeep introduced an all-new interior to Wrangler that combines
rich styling, versatility, comfort and improved feature use. The rear
seats is designed to split 60/40, and easily folds flat, creating 86.75
cu. ft. of total storage volume. I am sorry that our factory
specifications and available options do not completely satisfy your
needs.

Chrysler Group LLC places great care and effort into the design and
engineering of our vehicles, exceeding current market demands for
safety, value, utility, performance, and style. Each model vehicle
comes in a variety of trim levels that strive to accommodate even the
most discriminating tastes of our customers.

We cannot modify a vehicle at the factory beyond the listed options and
features provided. In order to keep the cost low while maintaining a
high standard of available features, you cannot special order options
that are not available from the factory. The reason for this is that
these vehicles are produced along an assembly line.

If you have any further product questions about the 2012 Jeep Wrangler
and Wrangler Unlimited, you are always welcome to reply back to this
email and I will respond back to you as promptly as I can. If you
prefer, you can also call me directly with your questions at the Jeep
Product Information Center by calling 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for your interest in Jeep. We hope this information will
not discourage you from your possible purchase.

Sincerely,

*****
Jeep Product Information Center
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
baytownbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
I went back out an photographed my 2011 JKU Rear seat underside and yes, there is no bracing in the middle, but I couldn't feel anything spongy. Note, the unbraced section is a mere 8 inches and my butt is 18 inches. At least that is a conservative measurement.

baytownbert is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 127
I just found the brackets I used online. They are from General Devices. They are rack slide mounting brackets. The General Devices part number is CM4. I used 4 of them (2 pairs). I'm not sure if they sell to the public directly. Tel: 317-897-7000, E-mail sales@generaldevices.com Here's the link:
Item # CM4 on General Devices Co., Inc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	brackets_mod.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	106946
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brackets.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	106945  
__________________
2012 JKUnlimited Sahara, Flame Red, Black Top, Auto, 3.73 axle, 430N, trailer tow
Ordered: 7/21/11, Delivery: 8/27/11.
2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownbert View Post
I went back out an photographed my 2011 JKU Rear seat underside and yes, there is no bracing in the middle, but I couldn't feel anything spongy. Note, the unbraced section is a mere 8 inches and my butt is 18 inches. At least that is a conservative measurement.
Try kneeling on one knee on the center seat area as if you were reaching over the seat for something in the trunk area. You should get that sinking feeling like something is very wrong. (Disclaimer: not responsible for any seat damage.)

Yes, on the top side of the seat you can feel support everywhere except for the middle 10". So if your passenger is a skinny adult (like me) or a child the seat will sag. The passenger feels like they are sinking and the seat will be deformed after a while. It is a really poor design that Jeep could easily fix if they want to.
__________________
2012 JKUnlimited Sahara, Flame Red, Black Top, Auto, 3.73 axle, 430N, trailer tow
Ordered: 7/21/11, Delivery: 8/27/11.
2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
I just found the brackets I used online. They are from General Devices. They are rack slide mounting brackets. The General Devices part number is CM4. I used 4 of them (2 pairs). I'm not sure if they sell to the public directly. Tel: 317-897-7000, E-mail sales@generaldevices.com Here's the link:
Item # CM4 on General Devices Co., Inc.
Awesome. Thanks for the link, man. I scoured the Lowe's yesterday. Best I could find were some drawer guides, held 100 lbs each. But would've had to drill em and do some other mods to make em as compatible as the GD brackets.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 82
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
I'm looking to buy an unlimited and all of the '12s at the auto show had the saggy seat. So I emailed Jeep and got the usual BS. Now that I see an '11 with seat support I will ask again and watch them dance around the issue. Here's what they said about the lack of support in the center seat:

Dear Customer:

It is great to read of your interest in the 2012 Jeep Wrangler and
Wrangler Unlimited!

In 2011, Jeep introduced an all-new interior to Wrangler that combines
rich styling, versatility, comfort and improved feature use. The rear
seats is designed to split 60/40, and easily folds flat, creating 86.75
cu. ft. of total storage volume. I am sorry that our factory
specifications and available options do not completely satisfy your
needs.

Chrysler Group LLC places great care and effort into the design and
engineering of our vehicles, exceeding current market demands for
safety, value, utility, performance, and style. Each model vehicle
comes in a variety of trim levels that strive to accommodate even the
most discriminating tastes of our customers.

We cannot modify a vehicle at the factory beyond the listed options and
features provided. In order to keep the cost low while maintaining a
high standard of available features, you cannot special order options
that are not available from the factory. The reason for this is that
these vehicles are produced along an assembly line.

If you have any further product questions about the 2012 Jeep Wrangler
and Wrangler Unlimited, you are always welcome to reply back to this
email and I will respond back to you as promptly as I can. If you
prefer, you can also call me directly with your questions at the Jeep
Product Information Center by calling 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for your interest in Jeep. We hope this information will
not discourage you from your possible purchase.

Sincerely,

*****
Jeep Product Information Center
HOLY SH$! Keep costs low???? ooohhhh....keep COSTS low, NOT the price. How about since the price is HIGH we keep the quality HIGH...just a thought.
TheDragon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 PM   #25
Newb
 
COwrangler4dr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks, it gave me an idea of what I need to fix it. Called Jeep 1-877-426-5337, they have never heard of the problem. What a joke !
COwrangler4dr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
WXman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Kentucky, USA
Posts: 1,725
When I took delivery of my '11 last Summer, this issue was the first thing I noticed. My 10 year old said it was like "sitting in a hammock". Just ridiculous...I specifically got the Unlimited to have 5 seating positions...only to find out that the 5th is uncomfortable and dangerous (more chance of sliding out of the seatbelt with no butt support).

I called Chrysler and reported my dissatisfaction immediately and they said they'd "pass it along to the design engineering team". Hopefully, the '13 seat redesign includes a fix for this ridiculous issue.

For the rest of us, thanks for this thread. It's renewed my desire to fab something up.
__________________
~Lots of modded Jeeps and a Toyota 4Runner~
WXman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
ShotgunRed218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 84
Yes great ideas guys. We were disappointed also about the bad design and were really hoping they would have fixed it on the '12s. I think the "cost cutting" is a line of BS, lets talk in circles to confuse you answer. Typical. I am very curious if they fix it for the '13s.
__________________
2012 Sahara Unlimited, Sahara Tan
1999 TJ SE, Black
ShotgunRed218 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 2,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunRed218 View Post
Yes great ideas guys. We were disappointed also about the bad design and were really hoping they would have fixed it on the '12s. I think the "cost cutting" is a line of BS, lets talk in circles to confuse you answer. Typical. I am very curious if they fix it for the '13s.
They didn't, I'm looking through the fixes others have come up with for my new 2013 JKU.
Lusus_Naturae is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,200
wrapping bungie cords around the metal supports has held up great over 6 months. Feels like a proper seat.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-17-2012, 03:02 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,578
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
wrapping bungie cords around the metal supports has held up great over 6 months. Feels like a proper seat.
No pics? LOL

__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
center , jku , rear , seat , unlimited

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I did to my TJ today TJeepman TJ General Discussion Forum 26077 Today 12:07 AM
What I did to my Jeep today Scout General Jeep Discussion 16173 07-12-2014 10:38 PM
35's decision made, going on tomorrow! Gottabstick JK General Discussion Forum 29 03-22-2012 07:17 PM
My New Rubicon Granimal TJ General Discussion Forum 23 03-21-2012 09:10 PM
New '12 Rubicon Unlimited (First Jeep) tsc224 WF New Member Check In 13 03-18-2012 07:20 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC