Functional mods/upgrades for the DD - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #31
Jeeper
 
Sjeupie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Pedal Extenders:

Never seen such a thing? What does it do? Makes the pedals easier to reach if you haven't got the length of Michael Jordan?

__________________
Sjeupie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #32
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff

Here's the Quadrateq direct link to the 23-piece kit, available in either black or chrome. Remember, free shipping for forum members.

Gorilla Automotive Products Spline Drive Lug Nut Kit
Thank you very much!

__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it but this one is MINE!
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
Redrammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikulas View Post
I thought about doing that, what did you use to plug up the holes? I don't think I'll be folding down the windshield any time soon.
Google Jeep Hood UFO.. there are some cool billet replacement disc's.
Redrammer99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeupie View Post
Never seen such a thing? What does it do? Makes the pedals easier to reach if you haven't got the length of Michael Jordan?
It's my wife's Sahara and she's slightly shy of 5'-1". Unless she has the seat right up against the airbag she can't reach the pedals very well and they say that being that close to an airbag isn't safe if it deploys.

Although the ones in the photo are about 8 years old, I was thinking of getting something like the ones below. They seem to be made a bit more solid than the ones she's using now that I moved from her old PT Cruiser that we traded in on the Jeep.

PedalMates Pedal Extenders by CCI
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Sjeupie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
It's my wife's Sahara and she's slightly shy of 5'-1". Unless she has the seat right up against the airbag she can't reach the pedals very well and they say that being that close to an airbag isn't safe if it deploys.

Although the ones in the photo are about 8 years old, I was thinking of getting something like the ones below. They seem to be made a bit more solid than the ones she's using now that I moved from her old PT Cruiser that we traded in on the Jeep.

PedalMates Pedal Extenders by CCI
Ah okay, that makes sense. Do they come off easily in case somebody else needs to drive the jeep?
__________________
Sjeupie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeupie View Post
Ah okay, that makes sense. Do they come off easily in case somebody else needs to drive the jeep?
No, once they're installed they're meant to stay on. I don't have any trouble driving it with the extenders in place and I'm 5'-11".
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
I just added to my list!! Just ordered the Metalcrafters mesh grill insert in black. Yep, the price hurts a bit but I have not read one negative review and the installation appears to be fairly easy. In keeping with the theme of this thread for the DD, the mesh looks like it will help protect the radiator from the errant, flying rock and keep the bug count down. Looks killer too

Next up, Gorilla Splines.
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it but this one is MINE!
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post
I just added to my list!! Just ordered the Metalcrafters mesh grill insert in black.
It's a very nice insert and will look nice with your DCR Sahara. The price was initially holding me back but after I found that they are made in the USA and I found one on Craigslist, new in box, for somewhat less than the price of a new one I went for it.

You have to relocate the air temp sensor but it's easy to do. I just kept the sensor plugged in as I moved the bracket around to see how much room I had with the wire when I marked the hole to drill. The original location is that rectangular hole in front of the bracket.

RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #39
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
It's a very nice insert and will look nice with your DCR Sahara. The price was initially holding me back but after I found that they are made in the USA and I found one on Craigslist, new in box, for somewhat less than the price of a new one I went for it.

You have to relocate the air temp sensor but it's easy to do. I just kept the sensor plugged in as I moved the bracket around to see how much room I had with the wire when I marked the hole to drill. The original location is that rectangular hole in front of the bracket.

Thanks for the tip! I was able to find the instructions on Qtec to get more familiar. Is the sensor held by some type of push pin that just pries up?
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post
Is the sensor held by some type of push pin that just pries up?
Yes, and if you're careful with removing it you can save it for something else. The kit includes a new pushpin.

Also, when you remove the grill there are 6 pushpins that you take off. Again, the kit includes new ones but if you're careful with removing the old ones they won't get damaged. Mine came out just fine but I figured since they gave me new ones anyway I used them. I put the originals in a sandwich bag in case I need a spare sometime.

And one last hint, I couldn't unplug the fog lights that are mounted on the grill so I just twisted the housing 1/4 turn and removed the entire assemblies and let them dangle while installing the Metalcrafters insert.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
BenoA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Metalcrafters Grill Insert:

I really like these grill inserts. How difficult was it to install?
BenoA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #42
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kappaknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Yes, and if you're careful with removing it you can save it for something else. The kit includes a new pushpin.

Also, when you remove the grill there are 6 pushpins that you take off. Again, the kit includes new ones but if you're careful with removing the old ones they won't get damaged. Mine came out just fine but I figured since they gave me new ones anyway I used them. I put the originals in a sandwich bag in case I need a spare sometime.

And one last hint, I couldn't unplug the fog lights that are mounted on the grill so I just twisted the housing 1/4 turn and removed the entire assemblies and let them dangle while installing the Metalcrafters insert.
The push pins are easy to remove with a small flat head screw driver. Pop the center up or off first by about 1cm, then the entire pin comes out easily.

As for the turn signals in the grille, the easiest way is to twist the bulbs out of the housing. I guess you can remove the entire housing too, but just the bulb works as well.

Also, I got the Rugged Ridge mesh inserts, which look similar, for $50 http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1.../dp/B0064SGRPE No sensor relocation was needed and the install overall was pretty simple. The fit wasn't perfect on mine, but it could have been cause someone bought it and returned the one I picked up. I was able to work the mesh for a bit so that it aligned better and then did a textured spray paint on it before the install. Overall I am very satisfied with the looks.
__________________
2013 Commando Green JKUR
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)
kappaknight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaknight View Post
As for the turn signals in the grille, the easiest way is to twist the bulbs out of the housing. I guess you can remove the entire housing too, but just the bulb works as well.
Yes, that's what I meant. I unscrewed the bulb and socket and just let it hang when I removed the grill. I guess I'll have to figure out someday how those fog lights unplug if I ever have to replace a bulb but at 3:00am on New Years Day I just wanted to get 'er done.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #44
Jeeper
 
jkmohican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 1,236
Quck question for you guys with the grill inserts.. Whats the actual function of them? Im not a fan of the look of them, but if they have a function, then i may do them.
jkmohican is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jdambm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. louis, Mo
Posts: 903
Images: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to jdambm
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmohican View Post
Quck question for you guys with the grill inserts.. Whats the actual function of them? Im not a fan of the look of them, but if they have a function, then i may do them.
Some say asthetics others will swear it protects the radiator. I got on the radiator protection bus. Kind of partial to the Drakes though Dammit Kramer LOL
jdambm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #46
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmohican View Post
Quck question for you guys with the grill inserts.. Whats the actual function of them? Im not a fan of the look of them, but if they have a function, then i may do them.
I like the way they look...but a nice one also offers protection from rocks while helping the keep leaves from getting caught in there.
The grills on the Jeep are pretty far apart.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdambm
Some say asthetics others will swear it protects the radiator. I got on the radiator protection bus. Kind of partial to the Drakes though Dammit Kramer LOL
I am getting on the same bus. You look at the 7 slats and they are gaping. I remember on my '08 JKS, the few bent fins and all the bugs. A few bugs will get through and maybe a very small rock. But not many.
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it but this one is MINE!
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #48
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
I just got my Jeep at the end of the year - 2012 JK Unlimited. So far I added the Fuel Door, U-Connect bluetooth stereo, alarm system with hood pin (so no hood locks), Smittybilt Side Armor side steps (think I need to take off the yellow logo), Rugged Ridge brake light guards, and got my windows tinted yesterday.

Next I need to lift this thing...I will post a thread for advice as I am on 33's and am deciding between a Teraflex 2.5-3" and Rock Krawler or Rubicon Express 3-3.5" with Billstein shocks. Decisions, decisions...it's a daily driver and may drive in snow/sand a couple times a year, but not much beyond that.

After that, grab handles, Mopar slush mats, door stops, and a bikini top. Maybe add a touch of color or something to make it look a little less Night Rider-ish and a bit more girly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	734342_10100251236122790_219815392_n.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	196603  
emilee64 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
eton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 993
Cutting / Drilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Yup, that is exactly my hang-up.

I....I.....just...can't....do....it.

I evan had serious trouble drilling two 3/16" inch holes in the plastic grill for my mesh grill guard. I kept thinking...why am I drilling holes in a brand new vehicle?


You would be surprised at how easy it becomes after the first cut!
eton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by eton



You would be surprised at how easy it becomes after the first cut!
Dude, you now gotta show the finished product after making us green/queasy in seeing cuts and drill holes in a $30k+ JK!
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it but this one is MINE!
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
JoeBot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: High Mojave Desert
Posts: 1,904
My $0.02 ... if you want to keep the Sahara rims ... ditch the Duelers first chance you get and invest in some Duratracs ... I wasn't impressed with the way the Duelers handled upstate New York winters
JoeBot13 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #52
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,695
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eton View Post


You would be surprised at how easy it becomes after the first cut!
That takes some stones right there.
It makes make my stomach turn. Uggg....a brand new hood....

BTW...from that angle...the sheet metal on the hood looks really, really..........really, really, really..........really thin....like you could cut throught it with an exacto knife.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark

That takes some stones right there.
It makes make my stomach turn. Uggg....a brand new hood....

BTW...from that angle...the sheet metal on the hood looks really, really..........really, really, really..........really thin....like you could cut throught it with an exacto knife.
I can bring myself to drill a 1/4" hole on some obscure bar that sits behind the grill to relocate a sensor that nobody sees.

But I agree, some serious stones to do that to a brand new hood.

To put it right out there, I could not do that.
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it but this one is MINE!
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
wrz0170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBot13
My $0.02 ... if you want to keep the Sahara rims ... ditch the Duelers first chance you get and invest in some Duratracs ... I wasn't impressed with the way the Duelers handled upstate New York winters
Living north of Philly, we can get some crap weather. Well, Pa. is crap weather pretty much year round. I wouldn't mind keeping the stock wheels. I kinda like them. Will the Duratracs fit stock wheels?
__________________
This is my Jeep. There are many like it but this one is MINE!
wrz0170 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #55
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
paleh0rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,118
Not gonna lie, I'm having trouble building up the courage to trim my pinch seams and Rubi rails with a Sawzall... seriously, it scares the shit out of me! LOL
paleh0rse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
eton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 993
Smile Cuts / drill

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
Yup, that is exactly my hang-up.

I....I.....just...can't....do....it.

I evan had serious trouble drilling two 3/16" inch holes in the plastic grill for my mesh grill guard. I kept thinking...why am I drilling holes in a brand new vehicle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post
Dude, you now gotta show the finished product after making us green/queasy in seeing cuts and drill holes in a $30k+ JK!
I know right!

I put the snorkel in about a year or so ago and the hood louvre my wife got me for Christmas so I put that in on Christmas Day (it was 65 here in NC).

I can't ever damage my hood because of all the work re-cutting a new one would be!

Here's how it looks on the trail and after the cleanup - it amazes me how well they cleanup!
eton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
JoeBot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: High Mojave Desert
Posts: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrz0170 View Post
Living north of Philly, we can get some crap weather. Well, Pa. is crap weather pretty much year round. I wouldn't mind keeping the stock wheels. I kinda like them. Will the Duratracs fit stock wheels?
Yessir ... they make 'em to fit 18s. Price isn't too bad either.

They make them in:
275/70r18 (33x10.5)
275/65r18 (32x10.5)

Will run you ~ $260 to $280 depending on where you look ... which isn't bad considering ... and if you sell your duelers you can recover some of that money

They make wider tires for the 18s ... but any wider you'd have to consider wheel spacers ... the sizes above are closest to stock
JoeBot13 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
eton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 993
Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
That takes some stones right there.
It makes make my stomach turn. Uggg....a brand new hood....

BTW...from that angle...the sheet metal on the hood looks really, really..........really, really, really..........really thin....like you could cut throught it with an exacto knife.
Its not the thickest metal for sure! The cross members were the hardest cut -

Just in case anyone's interested here's the complete project - I don't have a digital temp gauge but the needle on my analog gauge is noticeably lower now!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1027709...isonSpyderHood
eton is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
Hagar The Horrible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Townsend, De
Posts: 34
My Ace rock rails work off the trail as a nice way to stop door dings.

And my CB gets me out of traffic on a regular basis.
__________________
2012 2 Door

Ticking time bomb 1/19/13 with21,235 Miles CEL Misfire Cylinder 2. 1/23/13 new head ending in AC installed----> We will see.
Hagar The Horrible is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
kramer2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
Not gonna lie, I'm having trouble building up the courage to trim my pinch seams and Rubi rails with a Sawzall... seriously, it scares the shit out of me! LOL
LOL

I'm with the others, it takes a special kind of courage to make that first dive into the hood with a drill bit.

It was much, much easier for me to trim my pinch seam and Rubi rails though. If I messed up there's no one to know except me. It's hidden away. But the hood -- not so much.

__________________
kramer2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC