Gen II SPOD - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Gen II SPOD

Just saw over in the vendor forum a Gen II SPOD is on the way. I was going to order one today until I saw that. Seems like its a good improvement over the first gen, but the one thing I wasn't to sure on is how it mounts inside the cab. Does anyone have a step by step on the install?

I generally stay away from electrical work, but KB said it isn't to bad so I trust him.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Just saw over in the vendor forum a Gen II SPOD is on the way. I was going to order one today until I saw that. Seems like its a good improvement over the first gen, but the one thing I wasn't to sure on is how it mounts inside the cab. Does anyone have a step by step on the install?

I generally stay away from electrical work, but KB said it isn't to bad so I trust him.
Step-by-step on the current one, or on the Gen II?

I'm not sure there's step-by-step directions in this thread, but it's really not that hard. Me and electricity have been at war since I stuck a pair of folded-up Wrigley's Fruit wrappers in the electrical socket in a computer lab in middle school and smacked em together, shorting out the lab and earning me a free vacation.

If I can install the sPOD, anybody can.

Plus the directions are pretty good.

See this thread...think I gave an overview of the install, then how to hook up a set of lights to em:

2012 Electrical question

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Step-by-step on the current one, or on the Gen II?

I'm not sure there's step-by-step directions in this thread, but it's really not that hard. Me and electricity have been at war since I stuck a pair of folded-up Wrigley's Fruit wrappers in the electrical socket in a computer lab in middle school and smacked em together, shorting out the lab and earning me a free vacation.

If I can install the sPOD, anybody can.

Plus the directions are pretty good.

See this thread...think I gave an overview of the install, then how to hook up a set of lights to em:

2012 Electrical question

Thanks I'll take a look. The Gen II seems to have the low voltage cut off and some other stuff built into the source box. My curiosity had me at how the switches mount in the cab.

I plan jobs for electricians everyday and I know it hates me. That's why I just write the work steps and don't actually do the work.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Thanks I'll take a look. The Gen II seems to have the low voltage cut off and some other stuff built into the source box. My curiosity had me at how the switches mount in the cab.

I plan jobs for electricians everyday and I know it hates me. That's why I just write the work steps and don't actually do the work.
The switches actually mount very easily...just fold back the soft top (or take out the freedom top panels), pull the plastic molding along the top so you can run the wires, and attach to the footman's loop.

The sPOD is easily one of the best mods I've done.

When you're done, it'll look like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sPOD_Switches_020412_kbw.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	103812

Probably the hardest part for me was fishing the wires through the foam-filled hole in my firewall...and that was only annoying because I have little patience.

If they've integrated the LVCO into the main body of the Source, that's awesome. My LVCO is just zip-tied beside my box.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
The switches actually mount very easily...just fold back the soft top (or take out the freedom top panels), pull the plastic molding along the top so you can run the wires, and attach to the footman's loop.

The sPOD is easily one of the best mods I've done.

When you're done, it'll look like this.

Attachment 103812

Probably the hardest part for me was fishing the wires through the foam-filled hole in my firewall...and that was only annoying because I have little patience.
Thanks! I'll call John at SPOD on monday. I hate pulling the plastic trim panels off. They never seem to want to go back on tight after I'm done.

Goes back to that same patience issue you have
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Figured I'd post what EAD Offroad had in the other section

A cut and paste from an email to sPOD vendors that I thought I'd pass on.

The Generation II sPOD system

A) The Low Voltage detection circuit is now integrated into the Source! (Replaces the LVCO)
• No longer a paid upgrade
• Simplifies installation
• No more external parts to tie down
• Simplifies the ordering process and cuts down on skew numbers

B) The external inline fuse is now integrated onto the Source board!
• Simplifies installation
• No more external parts to tie down

C) A simplified input connection from the switch harness to a single snap in plug!
• Simplifies installation
• Less chance of installation mistakes
• Easier to pass through firewall
• Shortens installation time by 10- 15 minutes!



The new version should be shipping in 3-4 weeks and the price will remain the same!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
That sounds very cool.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
River Hill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 267
I just installed one last week. Very nice unit and easy to install. I wish I would have known about the SPOD 2.
River Hill is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Cruise missile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton, OH.
Posts: 348
Most of the new stuff sounds great.

Except the fuse thing, I prefer it to be as close to the battery as possible.
Cruise missile is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Sponsoring Vendor
 
EAD Offroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 802
I was one the phone with Cinde (John's wife) today talking about the new sPOD. It's cool. EAD can take pre-orders and give you all discount codes
__________________

EAD Offroad

Join us on facebook for special giveaways.
EAD Offroad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
FOUR FLUSHER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: RENO, NV
Posts: 289
I'm planning on adding some aux lights so I'm in for the pre order, stupid question? I'm planning on changing out my front seats to Twisted Stitch Vortex heated seats, can I use the sPOD for the heat switch?
__________________
'12 JKUR/WHITE/AUTO/LOD MID FRONT & REAR LINKED BUMPER/SMITTYBUILT WINCH/LOD SLIDERS/RR 17"x9"/DURATRAC 315/70/17/BDS UPGRADED 3" LIFT/JE DS/ORH SOFT TOP/HARD TOP
FOUR FLUSHER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER View Post
I'm planning on adding some aux lights so I'm in for the pre order, stupid question? I'm planning on changing out my front seats to Twisted Stitch Vortex heated seats, can I use the sPOD for the heat switch?
That's gonna depend on the power draw of the heaters, I'd think, but I know John's built sPODs that can run things like on-board air, so I don't see why not. May need to put a bigger fuse in the Source box.

Best bet would be to find out the power requirements of the seat heaters you're planning to install, and call John @ (661) 755-8139.

Jeep JK 2007-2012

If that's the only aux electrical you're planning to run, I'd skip the sPOD. It's expensive, and (IMO, anyway) worth it only if you're planning on running multiple aux items.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER View Post
I'm planning on adding some aux lights so I'm in for the pre order, stupid question? I'm planning on changing out my front seats to Twisted Stitch Vortex heated seats, can I use the sPOD for the heat switch?
I don't see why you couldn't, but you would need to run the wires outside the cab and into the engine bay which seems a bit odd.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73

I don't see why you couldn't, but you would need to run the wires outside the cab and into the engine bay which seems a bit odd.
Called John and Cinde. Gen II SPOD ordered

Edit: wanted to add that they are great to work with. Highly recommend!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
basecamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MN
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
... wanted to add that they are great to work with. Highly recommend!
x2 Cinde was very helpful and really quick shipping on mine last fall.
__________________
2012 JKUR Black Forest Green
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/bas...ld-128626.html
basecamper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Talking Wanted to say..................

................. that I am 100% satisfied with my Gen1 sPOD
__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,593
These all sound like awesome upgrades. Any idea when it will be implemented? and if there will be an increase in price?
Matador is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
These all sound like awesome upgrades. Any idea when it will be implemented? and if there will be an increase in price?
Same price and according to Cinde I'll get mine in 3-4 weeks.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Matador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,593
Awesome, be sure to post up a review after you get and install it. This is on my list of summer mods.
Matador is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Installed!!! Ok so I might have made a bigger hole than I meant to in the firewall. Should I fill it with something??
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Installed!!! Ok so I might have made a bigger hole than I meant to in the firewall. Should I fill it with something??
Why did you make one?

There are holes all through the firewall...I used one on my driver's side. You just take off the side panel of the dash and there it is, a foam-filled hole about the size of a quarter. Fish the wires through w/ a coathanger, and you're good to go.

Did you drill or something?
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Why did you make one?

There are holes all through the firewall...I used one on my driver's side. You just take off the side panel of the dash and there it is, a foam-filled hole about the size of a quarter. Fish the wires through w/ a coathanger, and you're good to go.

Did you drill or something?
NOOO

Bad phrasing. I poked through the foam hole in the firewall, but because the connector is already on the wires, when you push through it made a good size hole in the foam (hole is bigger than cable)

EDIT: Just looks sloppy.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
NOOO

Bad phrasing. I poked through the foam hole in the firewall, but because the connector is already on the wires, when you push through it made a good size hole in the foam (hole is bigger than cable)

EDIT: Just looks sloppy.
Ah, gotcha. Lol...I was wondering. Pretty sure you'd seen the threads about the holes.

You could probably plug it with a small chunk of insulation, just to make sure no water gets through into the cabin.

I used a razor knife to cut a small hole in the stock rubber stopper, and fed the wires through that. If that's what you did, I don't think you need to do anything.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

Ah, gotcha. Lol...I was wondering. Pretty sure you'd seen the threads about the holes.

You could probably plug it with a small chunk of insulation, just to make sure no water gets through into the cabin.

I used a razor knife to cut a small hole in the stock rubber stopper, and fed the wires through that. If that's what you did, I don't think you need to do anything.
I'll swing by auto zone and see what they have. The fact that it already had the bigger connector on it made it much more difficult to get through a smaller hole.
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
One more to add... That was reall straight forward. Only difficult part was snaking the wires down the A pillar and down to the footwell.

I need to go buy some wire hangers... Had to get one from the neighbors!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
One more to add... That was reall straight forward. Only difficult part was snaking the wires down the A pillar and down to the footwell.

I need to go buy some wire hangers... Had to get one from the neighbors!
I agree...the A-pillar was really the only part of the install that sucked, IMO.

But wait'll you hook up some lights to the Source, if you haven't already. Absolutely love my sPOD.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Crowley, LA
Posts: 26
Got mine in two days ago, may do the install this weekend. I agree on the service, they were great to work. I had some questions about the air gauge and John helped me out.
__________________
2012 JKU Rubi, Full Traction 4 LA, JE Reel shafts, Bilstein 5160s,Exp One Trail Series Front,Rubi Skid,Superwinch Talon 12.5i, Viking line/Hook, AEV Rear and Carrier, LOD rails, AEV Beadlocks, 37.1250 IRok, sPod, Viair Ultra OnBoard Air
ArchangelMBC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Anyone know of any spray expanding type foam I could use?
__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey73 View Post
Anyone know of any spray expanding type foam I could use?
They'll have stuff like that at just about any hardware store. Forget what it's called, but it's tan colored and dries into something like styrofoam.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Kelsey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf

They'll have stuff like that at just about any hardware store. Forget what it's called, but it's tan colored and dries into something like styrofoam.
I'll stop by a lowes. Didn't think that was heat resistant.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara- Bright White
Kelsey73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Generation II sPOD system EAD Offroad Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 3 04-23-2012 05:50 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC