Get a older Jeep and engine swap or buy a newer jeep JK? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Get a older Jeep and engine swap or buy a newer jeep JK?

WHat do you guys recomend? I am 21 years old and want a jeep ever since I was a kid.

I have two options.

1) Get a older Jeep YJ or MAYBE a TJ and do a engine swap with some other work (paint, etc...)

or

2) Buy a newer Jeep JK. 2009-2012

I want to save money but have no idea how much the first option is going to cost me since I do have to put a new engine, some other work etc...

which one would make sense fora daily driver? light off roading (no rocks), and will last me a good amount of time without much problems, and $$ wise?

BombayG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
tjt94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: El Centro, CA
Posts: 438
Where are you located? What do you consider light off roading? You may be better off with a two wheel drive pickup. (Look for the Youtube video of the Crown Victoria in Moab. No rocks but the guy uses the car to its fullest) However, it sounds like you have a bunch of cash to spend so the Jeep may just be the vehicle for you.

tjt94 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
Where are you located? What do you consider light off roading? You may be better off with a two wheel drive pickup. (Look for the Youtube video of the Crown Victoria in Moab. No rocks but the guy uses the car to its fullest) However, it sounds like you have a bunch of cash to spend so the Jeep may just be the vehicle for you.
I live in Canada, british columbia. I do not have a lot of money to spend either Just want a vehicle that will last me a long time and I have always liked jeeps anyways so why not get 1?
BombayG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,430
If your on a budget you would want the most you can get for less--right?

I would look into a first year 03 Rubicon with mid to slightly higher miles. You can't kill those 4.0's with 80-100k you still have a lot of life especially if the jeep was taking care of. Older jeeps will be harder to find in good shape. The JK's are more practical and less likely to be taken off road--and will cost more. $10-15k will get you a nice jeep IMO.
That's here your in Canada and it might be different

Be patient. I browsed eBay and AutoTrader for about a year before I found
a mint 07 with low miles for a decent price (I hope)

Good luck
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
If budget is an issue, I'd be wary of planning to get an older Jeep and do an engine swap and whatever else unless you really know what you're doing.

If you're just going for reliability, you really don't need an engine swap on well cared for Jeeps. All of the engines thus far have had reasonable reliability into very high mileage. However, if you looking for super speed power/torque, then really none of the stock engines are going to be for you so a swap may be your only option.

That said--unless you're very sophisticated and can realistically expect to do the work yourself--I'd find a good shop and get estimates for the kind of work you'd expect to desire beforehand. You might be surprised on the costs. Absent stumbling into a super deal, I'd expect a swap for a high power engine is going to be thousands upon thousands of dollars even with a used engine/transmission, particularly factoring in labor costs. And that doesn't count issues that may be peculiar to the individual Jeep, like a rusted frame or some such thing.

So I wouldn't really plan on getting an older Jeep and doing an engine swap and all kinds of mods to "make it new" unless you've got a reasonably large and flexible budget, and can "roll with the punches" in the event costs start to run high or it takes longer than you'd hoped to get it up and running.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

If you're just going for reliability, you really don't need an engine swap on well cared for Jeeps. All of the engines thus far have had reasonable reliability into very high mileage. However, if you looking for super speed power/torque, then really none of the stock engines are going to be for you so a swap may be your only option.
Have you ever driven a 4.0 I6 w/ lower gears?
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
TXJKU-Rubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Friendswood, TX
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
If budget is an issue, I'd be wary of planning to get an older Jeep and do an engine swap and whatever else unless you really know what you're doing.

If you're just going for reliability, you really don't need an engine swap on well cared for Jeeps. All of the engines thus far have had reasonable reliability into very high mileage. However, if you looking for super speed power/torque, then really none of the stock engines are going to be for you so a swap may be your only option.

That said--unless you're very sophisticated and can realistically expect to do the work yourself--I'd find a good shop and get estimates for the kind of work you'd expect to desire beforehand. You might be surprised on the costs. Absent stumbling into a super deal, I'd expect a swap for a high power engine is going to be thousands upon thousands of dollars even with a used engine/transmission, particularly factoring in labor costs. And that doesn't count issues that may be peculiar to the individual Jeep, like a rusted frame or some such thing.

So I wouldn't really plan on getting an older Jeep and doing an engine swap and all kinds of mods to "make it new" unless you've got a reasonably large and flexible budget, and can "roll with the punches" in the event costs start to run high or it takes longer than you'd hoped to get it up and running.
I agree with MTH. If you're on a budget get what you're comfortable with now and go from there. You can always swap and upgrade later when you and your budget can and want to. Just my .02
TXJKU-Rubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,647
consider this, regardless of your choice:

Would you rather pay your mechanic to fix what you can't; or pay your banker to drive what doesn't need fixing?

There comes a cash-flow point where the decision is easier to make.

For me, when the mechanic bills become on a par with the bank payments, I know I've waited too long.
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
snobnk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 121
Older jeeps DONT LEAK.....
snobnk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Have you ever driven a 4.0 I6 w/ lower gears?
Nope. Nor have I driven a deeply geared 3.8.

Either way though, I don't think those engines would ever be classified as serious truck engines that would scratch somebody's itch for big V8 or diesel type of performance.

That was really my point--if the OP is proposing an engine swap for reliability, it's probably really unnecessary. If he's proposing it for big power, it's probably really expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperJake
Would you rather pay your mechanic to fix what you can't; or pay your banker to drive what doesn't need fixing?
That's awesome.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH

Nope. Nor have I driven a deeply geared 3.8.

Either way though, I don't think those engines would ever be classified as serious truck engines that would scratch somebody's itch for big V8 or diesel type of performance.

That was really my point--if the OP is proposing an engine swap for reliability, it's probably really unnecessary. If he's proposing it for big power, it's probably really expensive.

That's awesome.
Even with 3.07's my Yj/Tj had enough torque to make most happy.

Highway was a mess even with stock tires.

Anyways, the point-- yes your right. Reliability wise the 4.0 and 3.8 are well proven. Even if the Op bought one with 100k, it would still have a long life ahead of it
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver island brutish columbia
Posts: 288
I bought a 07 and once payed off I'll be putting a diesel engine or hemi in it instead of upgrading to a newer jedp
Probo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver island brutish columbia
Posts: 288
Oh and here in Canada a 07 jeep jku. Is about 22000
Probo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probo
I bought a 07 and once payed off I'll be putting a diesel engine or hemi in it instead of upgrading to a newer jedp
that's the idea
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
Commercial Member JeepsOnTrails

WF Supporting Member
 
lee indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 4,920
^^ with 22k i would take a cj8 and add a full roll cage with back seats.
but thats a project and not gonna be done for awhile.
lee indy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
A diesel swap will be expensive and complicated, I have done one in another vehicle. Your gasser instrument cluster probably won't like the diesel. The instrument cluster and TIPM control things like the speedo, ABS, interior lights, turn signals, etc. Then you need a separate TCM and adapters for the tranny. If you went to an older style jeep with a simple dash - then it's easier. However doing a swap does justify you buying new new tools like a plasma cutter and MIG welder.

__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continued Hesitation Mystery Solved!! BuckNutz1070 TJ Tech Forum 21 10-14-2013 04:24 PM
Jeep Jokes jeeptales Off-Topic 39 07-24-2013 01:14 AM
The History Of The Jeep Wrangler BigKahunaBurger Off-Topic 6 09-02-2011 05:12 PM
Cherokee Master Clutch Kits - Free Shipping! AOR Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 0 04-25-2011 10:35 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC