Getting Started with Mods! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Getting Started with Mods!

Hey all, new to the jeep community but definitely not to modifying (only cars). That was my reasoning to getting the JK, a highly modifiable 4WD that is built to be used and abused in every way. Sold my BMW and knew this would be a bare bones mountain and camping machine. My primary interests are going snowboarding and doing overland type adventures so I want to keep it clean looking and not outlandishly bro'd out.

You all have been awesome from the point of negotiating to below invoice, to learning how to disable the seatbelt chime, tire fitment without a lift and so on! I figure fellow JKers could help in my decision especially if you've done these mods.

The slate: 2013 JK Sport Bright White 6MT. Only options are A/C and 3.73.

I thought looking for wheels would be easy but I'm down to these few choices and change my mind every night. I'd really like 16" but is there any reason 17" would be beneficial?

16" Mamba MR1x black
16" Procomp 7069 black
17" AEV Pintler Argent

33" tires will be going on these. I like the stock look of the Mamba but am worried a year or two from now I'll wonder why I chose such a plain looking wheel...maybe not. Love the Pintler but only come in 17". Still entertaining the pro comps but not in love with them. Any thoughts?

Other mods for the near future: lights, bumper, winch, cage with safari/snowboard racks

I appreciate all the help in the past, now let's help get my first upgrade started!

KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
BigDeaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 592
I went 17" Black iON 171s wrapped with 285/70/17 Duratracs... The iONs I went with are basically the same thing as the pro comps looks wise. I too was contemplating the pintlers, but in the end went with the plane jane black iONs because a) I got a good deal on them and B) the black rims really went nice with my billet JKUR. I have a body colored top, so I thought the black rims/black fenders would look sweet. I was right.

As far as the 16 vs 17 debate, the biggest difference you'll see is price of tire. The bigger the rim, the more expensive the tire. Go with what feels right and what fits your budget. FWIW, I LOVE the look of a white jeep with black accessories. I think its bad ass. Highly recommend the duratracs too. They're an aggressive looking all terrain and ride worlds better on slick roads than the MTs that came on the Rubi.

__________________
'99 TJ Chili Pepper Red SOLD
'13 JKU Rubicon Billet SOLD
BigDeaner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
wassup8687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,975
I went with Cooper Discovery AT3's and Level 8 Guardians. Excellent traction and very quiet.

As for bumpers I like the Rampage Recovery paired up with a Quadratec Q9500i winch.
wassup8687 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Thanks for commenting on tires. Was going to go with the Mamba at first with duratracs from tirerack and have them mounted balanced and shipped, easy! Still have about a month to think about wheels before I pull the trigger
KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
CodyF36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 98
Here's my 14 Bright White with 2.5" lift and 2" spacers in front to level out after bumper and winch. I'm running Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17's on Pro Comp 7069's to give you a visual of that particular option.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1056634999.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	514338



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2104633963.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	514346
CodyF36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Faith and Trust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 258
17 inch argent PINTLER, or silver ( better for rash), with 285/75 (33.8/11.2), gets my vote.
Faith and Trust is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JcrOffroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 971
When you feel it is time to armor your JK feel free to look at our website!

JcrOffroad, Inc.: Jeep JK Wrangler Products
__________________
JcrOffroad
info@jcroffroad.com
269.353.1184

Like us on Facebook for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on Twitter!
JcrOffroad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyF36 View Post
Here's my 14 Bright White with 2.5" lift and 2" spacers in front to level out after bumper and winch. I'm running Goodyear Duratrac 285/70/17's on Pro Comp 7069's to give you a visual of that particular option.



Attachment 514338



Attachment 514346

This setup is exactly what I would like to do. So you have a total lift of 4.5"
Can you explain what the 2" spacer is I'm a little confused.
johnblahuta88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
CodyF36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblahuta88 View Post
This setup is exactly what I would like to do. So you have a total lift of 4.5" Can you explain what the 2" spacer is I'm a little confused.
Not quite. I have a 2.5 inch Rubicon express coil lift with mono tube shocks. My front end was still a little low as it did not level out with the lift by itself. I then added the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper with winch and that made it sag nearly an inch on top of that. I added 2" coil spacers on top of the new coil springs which made it sit level. The coil spacers on the front were to offset the weight of the winch and bumper and give me the extra nudge to level it out. It's only lifted 2.5 inches and leveled out with the spacers. Hope that helps.
CodyF36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyF36 View Post
Not quite. I have a 2.5 inch Rubicon express coil lift with mono tube shocks. My front end was still a little low as it did not level out with the lift by itself. I then added the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper with winch and that made it sag nearly an inch on top of that. I added 2" coil spacers on top of the new coil springs which made it sit level. The coil spacers on the front were to offset the weight of the winch and bumper and give me the extra nudge to level it out. It's only lifted 2.5 inches and leveled out with the spacers. Hope that helps.
Thank you that helps a lot. This whole jeep mod thing is vast. I hade a sti before this so I'm use to speed. I was thinking a good first mod would be a exhaust. I don't want to touch the intake.
johnblahuta88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
It's been a week and I think I've come up with my plan, thanks a lot to you all on this forum and other forums. I was about to go for the RR satin since they look so good on MikeK46's jeep prior to the lift (sorry don't know how to attach pics on iPad). RR would have made my decision easier if they didn't cost MORE than the AEVs! I know they're a great brand too but the Pintler was on the high end of my price range and it's from one of the "premier" brands in the jeep world.

1. Argent Pintler on 285/70/17 BFGs or GY DTs, ProCal, no TPMS
2. KC windshield lights
3. Flat fender flares

Probably will take until summer to make it to #3 but #1 will hopefully be on by New Years!

Bumper, winch, roof rack, snorkel, leveling kit/small lift will all be in the works too. Can't have too much fun too quick if I'm planning on keeping this rig for a loooong time or forever!
KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
The BS on Pintler's is really throwing a wrench in making my planning for the future purchase especially with the amount they cost. I've now been entertaning the Mamba's (still too stock looking) and the 7069s.

What do you all think of powder coating or at least to start maybe white plasti - dipping the 7069s. I love the look of this rig:



Everyone does black and I think its a good looking fad for now (had a white BMW with black wheels before my JK). I think the white on white looks really sick! Going to call a few shops to ask how much powder coating will cost. Definitely not forking the money for the Mopar Winters pictured above.
KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 173
Have the pintlers and love them. Easiest wheel to clean and IMO the best looking wheels out there. If u want black get the pintlers in black. I have billet color with argent wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3343514385.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	544538
Chad s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad s View Post
Have the pintlers and love them. Easiest wheel to clean and IMO the best looking wheels out there. If u want black get the pintlers in black. I have billet color with argent wheels.

Attachment 544538
Is your rig lifted?

I seriously have to be the most indecisive jeeper.... kept going back and forth between 7069s and AEV but finally pulled the trigger on the Argent Pintlers . Tires next week and most importantly PICS to follow!

Cody your rig did not make the decision any easier, even had second thoughts when looking at it again after ordering.

I'd still like to try white wheels in the future. Local shop quoted me 60/whl for powder coating
KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,359
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
good luck with your build. It took me 6 months to find my wheel/tire combination. decisions decisions.

16's will be limited with tires however a tad cheaper than the 17's. (make sure the tire size you want are offered in the 16' wheel)
17's ... you won't have trouble finding sizes however prices will be steeper.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtecR View Post
Is your rig lifted? I seriously have to be the most indecisive jeeper.... kept going back and forth between 7069s and AEV but finally pulled the trigger on the Argent Pintlers . Tires next week and most importantly PICS to follow! Cody your rig did not make the decision any easier, even had second thoughts when looking at it again after ordering. I'd still like to try white wheels in the future. Local shop quoted me 60/whl for powder coating
yes it is. I have the teraflex 2.5 lift and bilstein shocks
Chad s is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU View Post
good luck with your build. It took me 6 months to find my wheel/tire combination. decisions decisions.

16's will be limited with tires however a tad cheaper than the 17's. (make sure the tire size you want are offered in the 16' wheel)
17's ... you won't have trouble finding sizes however prices will be steeper.
Went with 17s. Noticed price for each respective tire is about $20-25 difference between 16 & 17". $100 every few dozen thousand miles isn't enough to make a huge difference. The Pintler price difference was big compared to 16" pro comps but over the course of years and mods is a drop in the bucket. That said I'm not made of money so other mods will have to wait an extra month or two now haha

(this hobby will be the of any savings I had planned)
KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 500
So where do I buy new tires for my 17" stock rims.
johnblahuta88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
CodyF36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtecR View Post
Is your rig lifted? I seriously have to be the most indecisive jeeper.... kept going back and forth between 7069s and AEV but finally pulled the trigger on the Argent Pintlers . Tires next week and most importantly PICS to follow! Cody your rig did not make the decision any easier, even had second thoughts when looking at it again after ordering. I'd still like to try white wheels in the future. Local shop quoted me 60/whl for powder coating
You did good. If money were no object, I'd have the Pintlers as well. I love the look I have now, but I have a feeling the all black wheels will get to me after a while. As for now, I love them.... But I also love the Argent Pintlers. One day.... When I grow up to a 4" lift and 35's I may revisit lol. It's just a matter of time before everyone wants to go bigger!
CodyF36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #20
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Just so you know, if you don't get TPMS on your 13, you will have a permanent error message on your dashboard that says "Check TPMS". On my 2012 I didn't have the sensors because I didn't care (no error message,) but on my 2014, I cant live with that error staring me in the face everyday.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
CodyF36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Just so you know, if you don't get TPMS on your 13, you will have a permanent error message on your dashboard that says "Check TPMS". On my 2012 I didn't have the sensors because I didn't care (no error message,) but on my 2014, I cant live with that error staring me in the face everyday.
Then it's flashcal or procal time!
CodyF36 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Just so you know, if you don't get TPMS on your 13, you will have a permanent error message on your dashboard that says "Check TPMS". On my 2012 I didn't have the sensors because I didn't care (no error message,) but on my 2014, I cant live with that error staring me in the face everyday.
Thanks for the heads up, some earlier research helped me out so a ProCal is on its way with the Pintlers!

Aside: my "other" car is an AP2. Do you still have your s2k? Wranglers and s2ks definitely have a lot in common. Thrill to drive and a huge enthusiast and aftermarket following! Oh and not to forget, you can take their tops off!

Cody: the 7069s are sick dude, I still wonder if I made the right decision. You can't go wrong with the AEV and pro comp simple and timeless designs
KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtecR View Post
Thanks for the heads up, some earlier research helped me out so a ProCal is on its way with the Pintlers! Aside: my "other" car is an AP2. Do you still have your s2k? Wranglers and s2ks definitely have a lot in common. Thrill to drive and a huge enthusiast and aftermarket following! Oh and not to forget, you can take their tops off! Cody: the 7069s are sick dude, I still wonder if I made the right decision. You can't go wrong with the AEV and pro comp simple and timeless designs
Yup, taking the s2k to the grave.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Yup, taking the s2k to the grave.
Amen! Hadn't driven it for a month while I was gone for work, only had the JK. Took It out for a spin this morning and forgot how superior that transmission is to nearly everything.

Bought BFG T/A KO from DT today and got 50 bucks off for Black Friday. Scheduled install one week from now, can't wait to get these embarrassing steelies and 29s off!

KtecR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC