Going to 4.10's - Ouch on price increase. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 340
Going to 4.10's - Ouch on price increase.

So I'm cruising through window stickers on 2014's Rubcons and I see that Jeep is charging $495 for an upcharge from their standard 3.73 to a 4.10 gears on a Rubicon. They have also raised the price on 3.73s from a 3.21 on an Sport or Sahara.

Looking at my '12 JKUR window sticker, I see it was $50.

Ouch.

__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12JKUR with 52K miles)
'13 JKU Sport (blue one)
'13 JKU stripped (red one)
'10 JKU Sport (other red one)
'08 JKU (green one)
5JKs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ltsrapcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 414
yeah that kind of sucks. of course the new 4.10 are better than yours

__________________
2012 Dozer JKU The family Jeep
2006 Black TJ Soon to be my Sons
Love'em both.
ltsrapcon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,794
Both of these increases are pure money grabs. It doesn't cost them any extra to put 3.73's instead of 3.21's or 4.10's instead of 3.73's.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Sinister6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 3,338
Yeah...however you couldn't get it RE-GEARED for anywhere near $495 so if you have any intentions of taking off road, bigger tires etc etc. $495 is a steal for 4:10 especially if you're spending that kinda money on a new JEEP anyway. NO BRAINER.
__________________
The Wolf is not concerned with the opinion of sheep.

MY BUILD: http://www.wranglerforum.com/showthr...errerid=137375
Sinister6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister6 View Post
Yeah...however you couldn't get it RE-GEARED for anywhere near $495 so if you have any intentions of taking off road, bigger tires etc etc. $495 is a steal for 4:10 especially if you're spending that kinda money on a new JEEP anyway. NO BRAINER.
Yeah it's a steal both ways, lol. They're stealing from you, but you can't touch a regear for less than $1000, so you still win.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,029
I would not doubt it has to do with fuel economy and trying to appease the government.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
hair2831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 336
Chump change compared to the overall cost of a Rubicon. Who cares?
hair2831 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 8,972
Images: 13
It is one of many options that have had MAJOR price increases over the past two years.

A lot of the options on the 2013's and 2014's are several times what they were in 2012. That is what happens when a vehicle gets popular.
Remote start sucks. It went from $200 in 2012, to $495 in 2013.
But the axle ratio is the worst....it has gone up in price nearly 10 times what it was 2 years ago.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,360
With a 4:1 transfer case, do you really need 4.10s? you going 35's?
__________________
2013 CG JKUR. Bought not built.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jwilson2598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
It is one of many options that have had MAJOR price increases over the past two years. A lot of the options on the 2013's and 2014's are several times what they were in 2012. That is what happens when a vehicle gets popular. Remote start sucks. It went from $200 in 2012, to $495 in 2013. But the axle ratio is the worst....it has gone up in price nearly 10 times what it was 2 years ago.
And not only has it gone up, there's no justification. At least when they gouge you on remote start, they are installing extra parts. In this case it's just choosing one of the parts to out on it, all of which cost the same.
__________________
Jeff

2013 JKU Sahara, Gecko Green, loaded up
10A Springs, Teraflex levling kit, 315/70/17 Duratracs, AEV Pintler wheels, front/rear bumpers and hood
jwilson2598 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Wally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 40
The jeep is definitely popular right now, that's for sure. I agree that it's pretty ridiculous that they charge that for a simple upgrade. I think they are catching that people are upgrading their tires, lift, and need gear changes and realize how much private dealers are charging and want their piece.
Wally22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,029
My new one shows $495 and one that was shipped a couple weeks earlier showed $295.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,029
I still think EPA/DOT play a roll. They demand that mpg fleet wide be at a certain level so Jeep/Chrysler have to make it less appealing to go with higher numerical gears. Eventually they will have to price them such that nobody will want that option.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
With a 4:1 transfer case, do you really need 4.10s? you going 35's?
Yes I am glad I went with 4.10 even tho I will be going with 34's
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson2598 View Post
Both of these increases are pure money grabs. It doesn't cost them any extra to put 3.73's instead of 3.21's or 4.10's instead of 3.73's.
Yea it seems that way, what a rip off. But if you want factory gearing of 3.73,s or 4.10's and they list them as an option now they gotcha by the balls, and they know it.
__________________
ADee
God Bless the USN and all our Troops
ADee1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by hair2831 View Post
Chump change compared to the overall cost of a Rubicon. Who cares?


The person that has to pay the extra for it. Jeeps are already priced very aggressively for what they and every small price increase adds to it.
DIXIEDOG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Plasticpirogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 438
The axles are not assembled in the plant at Toledo but by Dana (obviously). It is an addition cost to inventory an additional item.
Plasticpirogue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Plasticpirogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG View Post
The person that has to pay the extra for it. Jeeps are already priced very aggressively for what they and every small price increase adds to it.
"Priced very aggressively"? Really? I thought I got a "bunch" of capable vehicle for $28K. When you consider the prices on 2WD pickups these days, or what a "mid-sized" family sedans like Accords and Camrys cost, I think a Wrangler is a steal.
Plasticpirogue is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 19
I think that those who suggest the price increase may be due to CAFE standards may be on to something. I tried to build a 2014 to duplicate my 2013 and couldn't spec a 6 speed manual with 4.10 gears (it was all you could get on the 6 speed manual in 2013). I had to take 3.73 or go to an auto if I still wanted the 4.10's.
__________________
2013 Billet Rubicon 6 speed 2 door
Truculent is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 8,972
Images: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticpirogue View Post
The axles are not assembled in the plant at Toledo but by Dana (obviously). It is an addition cost to inventory an additional item.
That isn't true.

3.21's, 3.73's, and 4.10's have all been standards (07-11 auto's had 3.73's standard) and part of the inventory since the JK was introduced.

The price of an axle upgrade was $50 from 2007 to 2012. During the 2012 model year, the price went from $50, to free,to $95. At the official 2013 intro in October of 2012, the price jumped to $195. Now it is $495.

I'd like to say it is CAFE standards, but I think it is just a money grab.
__________________
2013 Sahara Unlimited
Billet - Auto - 3.73 - Connectivity - Painted Hardtop - LSD - Remote Start - Saddle Leather - Side Airbags

I may mall crawl...but I look good doing it.....
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
scuba_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 674
Perhaps they just figured out that they can charge more since it is still less expensive than re-gearing. I wonder when they'll drop it from the manual trans rubi and make it an option there as well.

This is a double whammy for someone who wants an auto trans rubi. You already had to pay a premium for the auto trans, but now you have to pay another 500 beans for 4.1. Makes me glad that I pulled the trigger when this was $195...but even then, I was bummed that the price doubled in one year.
scuba_steve is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 132
Yep, this is a 100% money grab. That's all it is. Chrysler isn't stupid. They know damn well people will pay extra. The plan: keep upping the price until people no longer upgrade. It's business 101.
hypobid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthermark View Post
That isn't true.

3.21's, 3.73's, and 4.10's have all been standards (07-11 auto's had 3.73's standard) and part of the inventory since the JK was introduced.

The price of an axle upgrade was $50 from 2007 to 2012. During the 2012 model year, the price went from $50, to free,to $95. At the official 2013 intro in October of 2012, the price jumped to $195. Now it is $495.

I'd like to say it is CAFE standards, but I think it is just a money grab.
Im with you. It's like hotels charging $10 a day for wifi. It's 100% profit. It costs them nothing. Jeep is keeping chrysler afloat, so anything and anywhere they can make money on, they are going to do it. From a "CEO" standpoint, its a brilliant move. From a customer standpoint, it sucks rhino peepee.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #24
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypobid View Post
Yep, this is a 100% money grab. That's all it is. Chrysler isn't stupid. They know damn well people will pay extra. The plan: keep upping the price until people no longer upgrade. It's business 101.
Agree 100%. Chrysler will continue to bloat the Wrangler's price until the day someone else (like toyota) comes out with a 100% direct competitor at a better pricepoint. Chrysler can do as they please with a wrangler because they know it's a one of a kind vehicle and people are lining up out the door to get one.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post

Chrysler will continue to bloat the Wrangler's price until the day someone else (like toyota) comes out with a 100% direct competitor at a better pricepoint. Chrysler can do as they please with a wrangler because they know it's a one of a kind vehicle and people are lining up out the door to get one.
Maybe land rover will get the defender to meet US criteria and then they will have a direct competitor. I doubt they would make it cheaper tho. They'd probably jump on the expensive bandwagon
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Hoorah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Agree 100%. Chrysler will continue to bloat the Wrangler's price until the day someone else (like toyota) comes out with a 100% direct competitor at a better pricepoint. Chrysler can do as they please with a wrangler because they know it's a one of a kind vehicle and people are lining up out the door to get one.
Chrysler may have the market all to their self if Toyota does not replace the FJ Cruiser, its production is to end after next year. Toyota might of looked all of the environmental red tape and decided to get out of the off road market. Who knows???

http://http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/toyota-discontinuing-fj-cruiser-after-2014-model-year/
__________________
Hoorah!!!
Ordered 03/05/2014 RX 2dr Anvil Auto 4:10 dual-top
Status;03/05 BG Order Passed OK... 03/18 D VIN ... 03/25 D1 Gate Line... 04/16 F Paint... 04/17 KZ released, invoiced
Estimated ship 04/17
Hoorah is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #27
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
Maybe land rover will get the defender to meet US criteria and then they will have a direct competitor. I doubt they would make it cheaper tho. They'd probably jump on the expensive bandwagon
I was gonna say, the ONLY car company that I wouldn't even considering replacing my Jeep with is Land Rover. I have a few Range Rovers in the family and they are utter pieces of sh!t. They are incredibly smooth, luxurious, refined, offroad capable pieces of sh!t. They break CONSTANTLY, and it's ALWAYS the electronic stuff, and if anything electronic goes wrong in a Range Rover, the entire vehicle is dead and wont drive. I wouldn't buy a Land Rover product even if it was 1/2 the price of the Wrangler.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #28
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoorah View Post
Chrysler may have the market all to their self if Toyota does not replace the FJ Cruiser, its production is to end after next year. Toyota might of looked all of the environmental red tape and decided to get out of the off road market. Who knows???

http://http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/toyota-discontinuing-fj-cruiser-after-2014-model-year/
Stupid stupid stupid. Look how the Wrangler is selling. I don't understand why companies dont want a piece of the wrangler pie...and it's a big god damn pie. Over 1 million units now!
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 5,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
Stupid stupid stupid. Look how the Wrangler is selling. I don't understand why companies dont want a piece of the wrangler pie...and it's a big god damn pie. Over 1 million units now!
I think it would be a tough market to crack for many manufacturers ( I wish they would a retro solid axle bronco or true retro landcruiser with solid axle both convertables). Jeep sells what maybe 140,000 wranglers a year on a good year. I suppose they need to do the math to see if it would pay over how many years with new retooling costs etc. CAFE standards want some incredible mpg so it all factors in.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticpirogue View Post
"Priced very aggressively"? Really? I thought I got a "bunch" of capable vehicle for $28K. When you consider the prices on 2WD pickups these days, or what a "mid-sized" family sedans like Accords and Camrys cost, I think a Wrangler is a steal.

Guess it depends what you get...to me a Jeep is built on the cheap for the most part and a Rubicon Unlimited with a few options is over $40k....to me that's priced aggressively...compare a $40k Jeep to a $40k Ford truck and see how each one is equipped.

Not saying I don't like my Rubicon but it was priced at the max point to where I would have purchased one....if another few thousand was tacked on I wouldn't have purchased it.

DIXIEDOG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC