Grill guard - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Pssman308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 116
Grill guard

I was checking the oil in my Jeep and found a dead bird complete with maggots between my grill and radiator. Do they make any grill guards or protectors to keep this from happening again?

__________________
2011 Sahara

99 TJ 4.0 5speed-gone

77 CJ7 258 3 speed-gone
Pssman308 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,381
They make inserts. A lot of people make their own as well.

Old pic but I made my own:


Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
jeepergurl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: La la land
Posts: 4,906
Images: 5
I did mine myself. Bought the stuff at home depot for less than 30 bucks.
jeepergurl67 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 152
I just installed a set of Offroad Elements Economy Radiator Armor / Grill Guard. It's not the best. But it's plastic that's light and won't rust. And for $20, it's cheaper than DIY.

http://www.offroadelements.com/offro...ngler-jk-2007/



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3101917046.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	1418154
__________________
O|||||||O 2014 Granite JKUR
KlausVanWinkle is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,346
How much you want to spend. This one is the High End

Metal Crafters MC-9660WRA - Metalcrafters Chrome Plated Stainless Steel Mesh Grill Inserts for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I did a DIY and took it out. Put in the one above. Very nice.

Black/Stainless Steel
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Jonny5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 27
Images: 3
I've got the Metalcrafters. Best option in my opinion. Everything else will chip, break, or rust over time. Probably sooner than you'd think too.
Jonny5 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
kuda0005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
I just installed a rugged ridge insert. Super easy, and only like $55 from Quadratec. They have them on amazon too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2686264426.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	1418178   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1610588427.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	1418186  

kuda0005 is online now   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
Jeeping Jedi

WF Supporting Member
 
Liberty_2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 219
Considering a mesh insert.

What did you think of the Rugged Ridge?
__________________
My 2013 JKU Build

“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost." -Tolkien
Liberty_2112 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
kuda0005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty_2112 View Post
Considering a mesh insert. What did you think of the Rugged Ridge?
Pic above is rugged ridge. You can buy like 4 of them for the price of the metal crafters one. The metal crafters is by far the best quality....but you can buy the rugged ridge, and paint it with a heavy duty dose of Rustoleum.
kuda0005 is online now   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Jeeping Jedi

WF Supporting Member
 
Liberty_2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuda0005 View Post
Pic above is rugged ridge. You can buy like 4 of them for the price of the metal crafters one. The metal crafters is by far the best quality....but you can buy the rugged ridge, and paint it with a heavy duty dose of Rustoleum.
How was the install? I've read some mixed reviews about drilling vs not drilling? What was your experience like?
__________________
My 2013 JKU Build

“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost." -Tolkien
Liberty_2112 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 245
07 14 Jeep JK Wrangler Black Bug Screen Mesh Stainless Grille Insert Cover Grill | eBay

Somewhat cheaper than e-Autogrilles, otherwise the same stuff. Pros - metal, well painted (plasti-dip?) stamped to fit the profile of the grill, attached with screws

Cons - requires MINOR drilling, more importantly the instructions suck. You need to reverse the bolts on the top relative to the instructions, and even then it is a bit of a struggle to get the thing back in position. This thing really needs flathead screws, I will buy some next time I am around a hardware store.
GroovyGeek is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Build Thread Queen

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
StarBrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 12,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty_2112 View Post
How was the install? I've read some mixed reviews about drilling vs not drilling? What was your experience like?
We have the Rugged Ridge insert on both our jeeps. Install was fairly painless. You do have to make two small cuts in the plastic on the inside, to make the bracket sit flush, but it took just a couple minutes with a razor knife.

We also lined the back of it with window screening to keep smaller bugs off the fins. Just zip tied it at the edges. We also painted Mike's blue with rustoleum spray paint after rubbing it down with a green ScotchBrite scrubbie. It's been on for over a year and it hasn't rusted or chipped or anything.

__________________
2014 JKU FE - 'Celticon' - Hydro Blue Pearl - Auto - 3.73 - Premium Soft Top - TeraFlex 2.5" Lift w/Rancho 9000xl Shocks - 15" MBTKO/33" DuraTracs - TeraFlex Monster Trackbar/Adjustable LCAs - ACE Rock Sliders/Cargo Basket - Rampage Recovery Bumper - Crown Stainless Brake Lines - MORE Dead Pedal - Pioneer 4000NEX - Polk DB651/6501
My build thread: StarBrite's Celticon

Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
StarBrite is online now   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #13
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,673
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
How much you want to spend. This one is the High End

Metal Crafters MC-9660WRA - Metalcrafters Chrome Plated Stainless Steel Mesh Grill Inserts for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I did a DIY and took it out. Put in the one above. Very nice.

Black/Stainless Steel
This is the one I have (black). It's been in over 4 1/2 years and still looks like the day I installed it. It fits perfect also. It's not cheap but you get a quality product that you'll probably never have to worry about or have to replace.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
This is the one I have (black). It's been in over 4 1/2 years and still looks like the day I installed it. It fits perfect also. It's not cheap but you get a quality product that you'll probably never have to worry about or have to replace.
Install on this (MetalCrafters) painless? Lookin at getting this one
bonedr is online now   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Freedom JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 1,186
I also have the Rugged Ridge mesh grill insert and I love it. It is very easy to install and it looks like it could be stock. I bought it on EBay for $43.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-395074271.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1419378  
Freedom JK is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Victoria927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuda0005 View Post
I just installed a rugged ridge insert. Super easy, and only like $55 from Quadratec. They have them on amazon too
Looks great!
Victoria927 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
bsmith1477's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tuscaloosa
Posts: 137
Added mine tonight
__________________
2014 Black on Black Willys
bsmith1477 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:27 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
kuda0005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty_2112 View Post
How was the install? I've read some mixed reviews about drilling vs not drilling? What was your experience like?
I did need to drill 4 holes for the nuts and bolts. The drill insert comes with 2 rods that keep the insert in place. The install tool me less than 20 mins in total.....and I did it while on a conference call!
kuda0005 is online now   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
kuda0005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBrite View Post
We have the Rugged Ridge insert on both our jeeps. Install was fairly painless. You do have to make two small cuts in the plastic on the inside, to make the bracket sit flush, but it took just a couple minutes with a razor knife. We also lined the back of it with window screening to keep smaller bugs off the fins. Just zip tied it at the edges. We also painted Mike's blue with rustoleum spray paint after rubbing it down with a green ScotchBrite scrubbie. It's been on for over a year and it hasn't rusted or chipped or anything.
StarBrite is kind of an expert here....and she's never given me bad advice. So if rugged ridge works for her :-)
kuda0005 is online now   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
rodaniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Odessa, TX
Posts: 82
Question

Raiderfan001, where'd you get your material? I think I prefer the look of the perforated metal sheet over mesh.
rodaniel is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodaniel View Post
Raiderfan001, where'd you get your material? I think I prefer the look of the perforated metal sheet over mesh.
I got mine from McMaster-Carr . But I just took a look and it looks like the price went way up. I got 16 gauge with .25" holes. Which they have two types now but both are a lot more than I paid (~$90) for a 36x40 sheet which is enough for 3 grilles. If you have a store nearby that sells that type of stuff it might be a cheaper option.

Here is a more recent pic. I just bedlined it with Rustoelum. 2.5 years and still looks like it did the first day.


Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:36 AM   #22
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 1,449
Or you can buy these and put them on in about 2 minutes. The wire mesh in these inserts are hardened steel and very hard to cut. I had to make a mod around my Mopar hood lock for mine.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13131_112X_A_PG.htm




__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
Or you can buy these and put them on in about 2 minutes. The wire mesh in these inserts are hardened steel and very hard to cut. I had to make a mod around my Mopar hood lock for mine. http://www.quadratec.com/products/13131_112X_A_PG.htm
These simply "snap in"?
bonedr is online now   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #24
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedr View Post
These simply "snap in"?
Yes, and make sure you want them to stay when you snap them in. I needed to remove one to do a mod and they really snap into place very tight. They have about six snaps per insert. Also, they are very high quality steel so I feel bad for any bird or bug that hits them as they will just destroy them. It took me quite a while to make the cuts you see in the mod above.
__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:54 AM   #25
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,673
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedr View Post
Install on this (MetalCrafters) painless? Lookin at getting this one
Yes. Easy install and it fits perfect. My recommendation is whatever one you decide to get make sure it's stainless steel.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #26
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 1,449
One more thing to note. The grill inserts that go in from the front will do a better job of keeping stuff from sticking in the grill. The mesh you put behind the grill looks better, in my opinion, but will not bounce off the objects like the inserts from the front.

.02
__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
On The Razer's Edge

WF Supporting Member
 
Razer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
Or you can buy these and put them on in about 2 minutes. The wire mesh in these inserts are hardened steel and very hard to cut. I had to make a mod around my Mopar hood lock for mine.

Quadratec Exclusive 42-0522 - EZ Install Wire Mesh Grill Inserts for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec





I like the look of those. Are they Quadratec branded?
Razer is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #28
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
SteedGun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Utah - A Jeep Friendly Place
Posts: 1,449
Quadratec exclusive. I am very pleased. On my mod in the pic above I also added a small piece of rubber hose running across the cut wire mesh. Love these grill inserts.
__________________
Molon Labe - Carry on!
SteedGun is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Earpaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedr View Post
Install on this (MetalCrafters) painless? Lookin at getting this one
I have this as well. It was very easy. Just did it last week. The most difficult part was getting the speed nuts in the correct place. I don't think it took more than 45 min, including unpacking, getting tools, cleanup, and putting the grill back on. It looks incredible, as most think it came on the Jeep to begin with.
Earpaniac is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earpaniac View Post
I have this as well. It was very easy. Just did it last week. The most difficult part was getting the speed nuts in the correct place. I don't think it took more than 45 min, including unpacking, getting tools, cleanup, and putting the grill back on. It looks incredible, as most think it came on the Jeep to begin with.
Did you have to relocate the "Air Sensor" during install? This kinda concerns me (not too handy here....). Which models have this Air Sensor?? Do I? (2015 JKUR). Is the instructions referring to the "Humidity Sensor"? ( XXTP : code on build sheet )

bonedr is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC