Hard Top Pulley and Storage System? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
Hard Top Pulley and Storage System?

I need to get something to remove and store my hard top with on a 4 door jk, I found these but wanted to get opinions on these two and if there's another I should consider?

http://www.jeeptopdepot.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=473&plID=755&partID=3331

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_07_07.htm

Also, wondering how difficult this thing is to install, needless to say if installed incorrectly I could completely wreck the top and the jeep in the garage under it. I would like to do it myself and though my "DIY" skills aren't horrible, they aren't that great either.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
Costco - Racor Ceiling Storage Lift

Beat ya to it Jimbo.

Works great. Just need to figure a strap system to attach the top to the lift.

__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hardcore4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
I put mine together for like 46 bucks and it works great. Basically it's a 2x4 cut up into 4 parts, screws, 800lb loop clamps and 4 ratchet straps. I'll go take some pictures and post em. It works great and it's cheap.
Hardcore4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,674
I am about to order the Harkin Hoister for mine, heard some pretty good things about it.

Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
heh Heh, Curses, foiled again--good move though cavsvet-


Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsvet74 View Post
Costco - Racor Ceiling Storage Lift

Beat ya to it Jimbo.

Works great. Just need to figure a strap system to attach the top to the lift.
Just remember to use the platform supplied with the RACOR and JUDGE YOUR BALANCE POINTS, FOR THE STRAPS-

The RACOR hoist is a real boone for hardtop removal and available for usually $100 bucks-costco/ebay/amazon

Checkitout-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
Harken does make quality hardware.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Hardcore4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 41
Budget friendly Jeep top removal and storage

Here ya go. Like I said, about $46. I'd rather spend the other money on the Jeep.

The top removed:

4 straps:

Clamp closeup:

Clamp and strap:
Hardcore4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsvet74 View Post
Costco - Racor Ceiling Storage Lift

Beat ya to it Jimbo.

Works great. Just need to figure a strap system to attach the top to the lift.
Ok, stupid question time...Do you just place that rack that shows the stuff sitting on it inside the hard top, under it, then run the supporting cables out the back and sides?
sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector View Post
I am about to order the Harkin Hoister for mine, heard some pretty good things about it.

Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec
This looks good, about what I'm looking for actually...Only concern is max load is 145lbs and I've seen some (given *estimates*) suggesting the hard top on the 4 door weighs 150lbs...My jeep will be parked right under it so I am concerned about it holding it's limit for a few months straight...?
sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
NOPE, you attach the platform to the bottom of the (4) cables/hooks and then either use "J" hooks if you have a rack (I do) or use the hooks and run straps either across, or longitudinal to support the hardtop-


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgmcdon View Post
Ok, stupid question time...Do you just place that rack that shows the stuff sitting on it inside the hard top, under it, then run the supporting cables out the back and sides?
Then you can use the platform to store camping stuff/fishing stuff/volkswagens--whatever-



JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
theStickbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 118
I have the harken hoist and love it.

From what I've read the 4 door hard top is only like 96 lbs. it's more cumbersome than heavy.

I've left my top off for two weeks and the Jeep is safe parked under it. If installed correctly the harken hoist is SOLID.
theStickbug is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by theStickbug View Post
I have the harken hoist and love it.

From what I've read the 4 door hard top is only like 96 lbs. it's more cumbersome than heavy.

I've left my top off for two weeks and the Jeep is safe parked under it. If installed correctly the harken hoist is SOLID.
Mine will be up there for 3-4 MONTHS, that's what I'm worried about, but I think I'll likely go harken for this and then maybe also do the other one suggested in here from costco for storing seasonal stuff for camping etc.
sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
Harken Hoist a top ordered...thanks!
sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
the Kolector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville, Ky
Posts: 2,674
I am going to use the Harken for the "warm" duration and just get a Bikini Top to have during the season, hard top would only be on for extended rain days and winter.
__________________
You Are The Result of 3.8 Billion Years of Evolutionary Success. Act Like It.
the Kolector is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
IowaRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 537
I have the Harken, here it is doing winter duty. With soft top, lawn chairs and other outside junk. I have the green ropes as backups and the most important backup is the Jeep is parked in the other stall


__________________
2012 Wrangler Bright Silver Sport S 6 spd
IowaRaider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaRaider View Post
I have the Harken, here it is doing winter duty. With soft top, lawn chairs and other outside junk. I have the green ropes as backups and the most important backup is the Jeep is parked in the other stall
I unfortunately don't have that "backup" of the jeep in the other stall, 2 car garage but the way it's used/configured the hard top will be hanging right above the jeep the entire summer :-(

...Makes me nervous.
sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
NOPE, you attach the platform to the bottom of the (4) cables/hooks and then either use "J" hooks if you have a rack (I do) or use the hooks and run straps either across, or longitudinal to support the hardtop-




Then you can use the platform to store camping stuff/fishing stuff/volkswagens--whatever-



JIMBO
(totally OT and I apologize, but...)
Dude, what are you, like G.I. freaking Joe? The boat rocks!
You got everything a boy adventurer of any age could need except maybe a jetpack!

OK, show of hands, who would buy the Jimbo playset? Seriously.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Heh Heh, now that cracks me up strider-

Just remember, I've been doing this a very long time and when I wasn't BUSY on a sub-I was playing in the Sierras-

Ya gotta realize, I've been retired over 19 years and everything I've got is paid for--cept insurance and property tax's-

I'm always on vacation, untill my wife gives me a "HONEYDO" order-which is often !

Ain't jeepin a "HOOT"

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k

(totally OT and I apologize, but...)
Dude, what are you, like G.I. freaking Joe? The boat rocks!
You got everything a boy adventurer of any age could need except maybe a jetpack!

OK, show of hands, who would buy the Jimbo playset? Seriously.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_mt2k View Post
except maybe a jetpack!
Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean he doesn't have it.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I'm not gonna tell you the story behind this--



I mean--somethings are "Sacred"

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
schirmyver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 189
So I was all set to design and build my own hoist but then you have to go and show us that Racor system . That is pretty nice. I do have a couple questions and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice.

-All of the hoists I have seen use hooks to grab the top at the front corners and by the rear window. To me this seems like a lot of weight being focused on 3 or 4 very small/thin areas. I was thinking about making four large flat hooks out of some 4" wide steel flat stock and then lifting by the bottom of the top only. I would make four hooks, so one for each corner. For added security I was going to drill a hole in the middle of the flat area of the hook so I could drop the bolt through the top and hook so it could not slide around. Does this sound like a good idea or am I over engineering this? Do you think it will be balanced by lifting only by the bottom? The front section would not have any support, but the rear window adds a lot of weight to move the center of gravity towards the rear.

-Regarding the rear window, I really do not like the idea of the rear window being left in the up position kind of flopping around while it is being stored. Since I will be lifting from the bottom and not around the rear window frame is there any other reason to leave the window up? I will have to come up with a way to secure the window down so it does not pop up unexpectedly and hit something.

-This last question, I am pretty sure I am over designing this but I will ask anyways. Since I will be lifting from the bottom, gravity will want to push the hooks outward basically pulling the bottom sides outward. To counter this I was going to cut another couple of pieces of bar stock to be the same width of the Jeep and secure them under the hard top between the hooks using the bolt holes. Do you think this is needed?

Thanks and once I complete the project I will post pictures, unless you guys convince me I am nuts and I just go with one of these existing solutions.
__________________
Schirmyver

2012 JK Unlimited Sahara
Retired: 2002 KJ LE
Retired:1990 YJ
schirmyver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Good logical and well thoughtout questions, but


Quote:
Originally Posted by schirmyver View Post
So I was all set to design and build my own hoist but then you have to go and show us that Racor system . That is pretty nice. I do have a couple questions and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice.

-All of the hoists I have seen use hooks to grab the top at the front corners and by the rear window. To me this seems like a lot of weight being focused on 3 or 4 very small/thin areas. I was thinking about making four large flat hooks out of some 4" wide steel flat stock and then lifting by the bottom of the top only. I would make four hooks, so one for each corner. For added security I was going to drill a hole in the middle of the flat area of the hook so I could drop the bolt through the top and hook so it could not slide around. Does this sound like a good idea or am I over engineering this? Do you think it will be balanced by lifting only by the bottom? The front section would not have any support, but the rear window adds a lot of weight to move the center of gravity towards the rear.

-Regarding the rear window, I really do not like the idea of the rear window being left in the up position kind of flopping around while it is being stored. Since I will be lifting from the bottom and not around the rear window frame is there any other reason to leave the window up? I will have to come up with a way to secure the window down so it does not pop up unexpectedly and hit something.

-This last question, I am pretty sure I am over designing this but I will ask anyways. Since I will be lifting from the bottom, gravity will want to push the hooks outward basically pulling the bottom sides outward. To counter this I was going to cut another couple of pieces of bar stock to be the same width of the Jeep and secure them under the hard top between the hooks using the bolt holes. Do you think this is needed?

Thanks and once I complete the project I will post pictures, unless you guys convince me I am nuts and I just go with one of these existing solutions.
I just use my MBRP Rack and vinyl covered hooks--

There are several guys on this forum that use the RACOR and have STRAPING setups that balance and distribute the weight pretty good-they might post pretty soon-google Jeep Racor Rack setup and see if you get some ideas-

Good luck

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,277
Images: 5
I bought a set of gutter straps. They're for attaching roof racks and such to a vehicle with the steel seam gutters. Added to a strap with a hook and a buckle to adjust the length.


As far as keeping the rear window closed, a 5' piece of pvc pipe with a hook in the middle works great.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
This is what I did with mine. Now I need to work on the wife's holiday wreath storage system
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep roof storage.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	97952  
JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
tribangle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 380
Racor is at the top of my list
tribangle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Ridge,NC
Posts: 353
I made mine out of two pieces of 1/2" black pipe with a pool noodle slid over them. The ropes go through the pipes and up through the pulleys to a worm drive hand winch. I just use my drill on the winch to lower the pipes down on the hardtop and run ratchet straps through the hardtop and over the pipes. Less than $100 and works good.
X50ARM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
sdgmcdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Happy Valley OR
Posts: 336
got the harken hoister and installed today...works well...I considered doing a cheaper DIY system and probably cuould have for about the same money though as i require the pulley system to get it to the top ceiling in garage (20 feet or so) which stores it above the open garage door...

Thanks for all the suggestions!
sdgmcdon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Cosmic Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by schirmyver View Post
So I was all set to design and build my own hoist but then you have to go and show us that Racor system . That is pretty nice. I do have a couple questions and I am hoping you guys can give me some advice.

-All of the hoists I have seen use hooks to grab the top at the front corners and by the rear window. To me this seems like a lot of weight being focused on 3 or 4 very small/thin areas. I was thinking about making four large flat hooks out of some 4" wide steel flat stock and then lifting by the bottom of the top only. I would make four hooks, so one for each corner. For added security I was going to drill a hole in the middle of the flat area of the hook so I could drop the bolt through the top and hook so it could not slide around. Does this sound like a good idea or am I over engineering this? Do you think it will be balanced by lifting only by the bottom? The front section would not have any support, but the rear window adds a lot of weight to move the center of gravity towards the rear.

-Regarding the rear window, I really do not like the idea of the rear window being left in the up position kind of flopping around while it is being stored. Since I will be lifting from the bottom and not around the rear window frame is there any other reason to leave the window up? I will have to come up with a way to secure the window down so it does not pop up unexpectedly and hit something.

-This last question, I am pretty sure I am over designing this but I will ask anyways. Since I will be lifting from the bottom, gravity will want to push the hooks outward basically pulling the bottom sides outward. To counter this I was going to cut another couple of pieces of bar stock to be the same width of the Jeep and secure them under the hard top between the hooks using the bolt holes. Do you think this is needed?

Thanks and once I complete the project I will post pictures, unless you guys convince me I am nuts and I just go with one of these existing solutions.

In this thread, ZOMBIE shows lots of pics of how he attaches the hardtop to the bottom of the Racor using straps: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/jus...top-74362.html

I found it helpful. Hope you do, too.
__________________
2012 Winter Chill Arctic Edition JK
Cosmic Charlie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Phishe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Kolector
I am about to order the Harkin Hoister for mine, heard some pretty good things about it.

Harken Hoister 7803B - Harken Hoister Garage Storage 4-Point Lift System for Jeep® Hardtops & Recreational Equipment - Quadratec
I just ordered this myself. Can't wait to start taking the top off all the time!

__________________
'12 JK Arctic Edition, a/k/a B.A. Baracus, a/k/a Bosco
Mods: AntennaX 13", 20% tinted front windows, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Alpine SPS-610 (sound bar), Alpine SPR-60C (dash/tweeters), Olympic Safari mirrors (when doorless)

Phishe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally! New wheels and tires mounted up 4fit JK General Discussion Forum 63 10-20-2013 08:07 PM
Next Jeep Project: Limb Risers and Hi Lift Jack Hardcore4x4 JK General Discussion Forum 19 02-17-2012 02:00 PM
Is it worth puttin' duals on a soft top? texas_redneck88 WF New Member Check In 7 02-16-2012 12:12 PM
tj soft top FDNYwrangler TJ General Discussion Forum 3 02-15-2012 07:18 PM
Dash lights and radios jeepdude2003 TJ General Discussion Forum 0 02-15-2012 05:05 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC